homepage

Vulcan A2A

Posted By: FlatEric

Vulcan A2A - 02/09/19 03:01 PM

Came across this the other day and had to share it!

Amazing footage of the old girl yep

Enjoy.
Posted By: Mike Dora

Re: Vulcan A2A - 02/09/19 03:48 PM

Marvellous!

In the context of the other meaning of A2A (ie air combat), way back in 1974 (yikes! 45 years!) when on a training det at Waddington I saw a photo montage from a Vulcan & an RAAF Mirage playing as adversaries in an air defence exercise “Down Under”.

The first 4 or 5 pics were taken through the Aussie Mirage’s gunsight. They began by showing the Vulcan from behind, with the pipper coming down towards it. Then before the pipper came “on”, the Vulcan could be seen to start banking steeply, eventually disappearing Stage Right in the penultimate pic.

The last photo in the sequence showed the Mirage from behind, about 100 yds away, perfectly framed in the Vulcan’s windscreen.
Posted By: FlatEric

Re: Vulcan A2A - 02/09/19 04:52 PM

Hi Mike, glad you liked it!

Yes, the Vulcan had almost fighter-like manoeuvrability, especially at high altitude where that huge delta wing came into it's own.

Would love to see that series of gunsight images you mention yep
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Vulcan A2A - 02/10/19 01:58 PM

Great stuff! Apart from the music; i'd rather feel the deep rumble of engines in the old guttywuts. Beautiful aircraft contrasting with it's original sinister purpose. One doesn't realise how vast the thing is until one stands under the wing in places such as Cosford RAF Museum.
I read that it could outmanoeuvre it's contemporary adversaries, but if hit, the crew other than the pilots had little chance of a successful bailout. But in the philosophy of the time, what would there be to come back to?
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Vulcan A2A - 02/15/19 08:35 PM

such an awesome bird, I still remember seeing one at our SAC base when I was a kid in the late 70's/80's. Wish I had digital back in those days to have so many memories of the better air shows!
Posted By: JimK

Re: Vulcan A2A - 02/17/19 04:16 AM

OMG, That was Epic. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: Vulcan A2A - 03/02/19 01:49 AM

Thanks for posting this. Amazing Video. Bookmarked.

S!Blade<><
Posted By: 33lima

Re: Vulcan A2A - 03/17/19 12:02 AM

I swear, there are just some aircraft when you know, watching and hearing them live or not, that you are in the presence of greatness. Vulcan was one of those planes.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Vulcan A2A - 03/17/19 12:31 AM

That was special,thanks FE!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums