homepage

declassified Harrier flight manual

Posted By: 2Lt_Joch

declassified Harrier flight manual - 01/01/11 02:23 PM

The flight manual for the Harrier AV-8B was recently declassified and can be found here:

http://publicintelligence.net/u-s-navy-natops-av-8b-harrier-ii-flight-manuals/

All the basic info on flight operations should apply to the GR.3 as well. I have been going through the take-off and landing chapters and trying to recreate them with the Harrier GR.3 from SF2E. It is a complex beast to fly, a crossover between a helicopter and a jet which requires the skill to fly both. Not surprisingly, it has a high acident rate and was nicknamed the "widow maker".
Posted By: Dante-JT

Re: declassified Harrier flight manual - 01/02/11 12:45 PM

It's worth to say that the AV-8B is the second generation Harrier, while Gr.1/Gr.3 are first gen. The first gen Harriers have been criticised for its cramped cockpit, with anachronic and completely anti-ergonomic instrument layouts, etc. One of the goals of the AV-8B Harrier II project was to address these issues. So, being mainly a McDonnell Douglas project, it has an interesting resemblance to the F/A-18 with its MFDs position and layout, HUD simbology etc. As I'm getting very familiarized with the first gen Harrier procedures now, I'll take a look later for AV-8B procedures and compare, although even at this point I can say that the AV-8B should make the pilot's life easier (was one of its project goals!) as opposite of the first gen Harriers.
Posted By: Longbow fanatic

Re: declassified Harrier flight manual - 01/07/11 08:01 PM

So could we see a possible AV-8B sim from you in the future????
Posted By: exhausted

Re: declassified Harrier flight manual - 01/08/11 01:04 AM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! I'm an F402 mechanic and I love seeing these birds all the time. I would just love to fly our bird in simulated combat in real world situations!
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: declassified Harrier flight manual - 01/08/11 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Longbow fanatic
So could we see a possible AV-8B sim from you in the future????

It might be completely in-accurate for the theater, but I agree it would be neat to have for a fictional "what-if" scenario. I'd happily pay for this as an add-on.
Posted By: Dante-JT

Re: declassified Harrier flight manual - 01/11/11 02:43 PM

We've been receiving many requests to do US Marine Harriers indeed. We are not in position to promise anything at this point, but I have to say that the range of historic conflicts available for the AV-8B is interesting, from 1991 Desert Storm to today in Afghanistan, take a look at this book regarding recent operations in Afghanistan:

"A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan"
http://www.amazon.com/Nightmares-Prayer-Marine-Harrier-Afghanistan/dp/product-description/143919498X
© 2024 SimHQ Forums