homepage

Combat Mission Shock Force 2

Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/17/18 07:30 PM

Combat Mission Shock Force 2, demo (722MB) is out...

Combat Mission Shock Force 2 DEMO

Red
Posted By: DBond

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/18/18 03:01 PM

Long time fan of the CM series, though I skipped the modern stuff. Combat Mission was one of the few games where I was in from the start. I still remember the CMBO demo, and can picture the scenario. My friend and I played it by PBEM over and over..

I own...

CMBO
CMBB
CMBN
CMRT

Now, this list would be MUCH longer if they had ever developed a reasonable persistent campaign system. In CMBB they were headed in the right sort of direction, with flaws. But they've never really come close to the sort of thing I would like to see. It's a shame, in my view, as it's the best tactical combat simulator going. Spotting in particular is elegantly done. I just want a better campaign system. What's it like in CMSF2?

Thanks for posting the video. I watched it and when the RPGs fired from the building fell short I felt let down smile

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/18/18 04:00 PM

Reading a bit more about it it seems that CMSF2 is essentially a reskin, everything re-done for the new engine. Same game (with expansions) as the original Shock Force. Is this accurate?

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/18/18 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by DBond
Reading a bit more about it it seems that CMSF2 is essentially a reskin, everything re-done for the new engine. Same game (with expansions) as the original Shock Force. Is this accurate?

Not sure, I havent been tracking Battlefornt to much to be honest. The paid upgrade system kind of put me off with the new engine. Iam still in V3 and have CMBN and CMBS. Oh, and the android attempt they put out some years ago, which really never got to work to well.

Seems some folks are having frame rate issues with the new demo so will see how it all ends up. Either way, it´s still cool that they put out demos. Playing CM is like being the director of a war movie and then watching the result!

Red
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/18/18 05:10 PM

Got all the WWII stuff and ordered Shock Force 2... playing the SF2 demo at the moment. I really enjoy these games!

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/18/18 05:27 PM

I checked out BF's pricing on this one.

It's true that it is the base game and expansions....if you buy the big bundle. US$120! All the other stuff is sold individually as well.

I paid that for the CMBN big bundle, so it's not like I am staunchly opposed to such pricing, but this seems a stretch for what it is, unless I misunderstand what it is. I can't see taking the plunge at that price point.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/18/18 09:34 PM

I'm only interested in the British Forces side of things, so I just went for the Base game and the British Forces bundle, all the other stuff I just wouldn't be interested in playing.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/18/18 10:24 PM

I should have worded it differently, that <I> can't see taking the plunge. The way I wrote it though could be taken as it's not advisable for anyone to do so. In the scheme of things 120 is a couple nights down the pub, and plenty of folks will get more than their money's worth. I paid that for CMBN as mentioned and got a hell of a lot of play out of it so far. Just wanted to clarify.

My experience with Combat Mission is that what's included with game, scenario-wise is limited. So I'm left to look for missions and campaigns to download. And especially campaigns, which I find are shockingly few for such a game. So what I found is that as new modules were added to each base game, many if not most of any new user made content now required it to be up to date. Scenario designers (bless 'em) obviously like to have new toys to play with. It broadens the scope of what they create. You might be playing the Queen's Dragoon Guards, but wouldn't it be cool to have the US Marines reinforce later For that you need the module. Even without units --, new weapons, vehicles, trenches, trees, buildings and all start to find their way in. It all added up to me needing to keep up to date with each new version if I wanted to keep getting fresh new scenarios to play.

SF has been around so long that it might not be a problem finding a lot of appropriate content when your install doesn't have all of them? As long as the old missions work in the new engine I'd say. Of course I haven't played SF and really don't know, just basing this on my experience with the titles I do have.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/19/18 11:14 AM

Well, the upgrade to v4 engine is $10 for each module. They now have a bundle upgrade for $25, of which before at it´s regular price was $50...

BF Upgrades

You then also have the "battle packs" that cost another $10, which in turn need the v4 upgrade (+$10)...

CMBS Battle Pack

In a nut shell, circa $20 bucks per module (unless you buy the bundle) to be up to date AND be able to play any battle pack or user made mission!

For a game that cost you $60 bucks!

In my case for both CMBS and CMBN, that´s $120, now add $20 bucks for v4 upgrade, and +$10 for any additional battle packs.

Sad but not my cup of tea!

It´s a similar case to "Command Ops 2" were each upgrade and module is paid for!

Red

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/19/18 01:21 PM

I agree. I really like Combat Mission and I like that they make improvements to the engine, but the way they monetize engine upgrades doesn't sit right with me. Add their high pricing regardless of title age and it's even less attractive. They are charging the same full $120 price for SF2, which is an 11 year old game with the new engine. I still don't know if that's accurate, but it seems to be from what I've read.

I understand it's a business, and their product is niche. But it seems to me that I would have spent far more money with them than I have if they approached it all differently. And if they had a good campaign system. CMBO came out in 2000 for crying out loud. 18 years and still no campaign system that I feel is worthy. Episodic campaigns can be fun, but only the first time. For me there is little replayability. The battle plan system means there can be some variability when you replay it, if the designer took the time to make them. But in general you're just playing the same thing again, even if the AT gun has been moved to a different spot.

In CMBN I played quite a few campaigns, actually just about every one I could find. Two that stood out were Devil's Descent and Kampfgruppe Engel. They were really good, but I have little desire to try them again. I already know what to expect and that takes away some of what makes this sort of tactical simulator so appealing.

Way back when they were Big Time Software and even on their current boards I've called for a simple system that works similar to what you have in Close Combat. You have a strategic map, with your battlegroups arrayed, and during the strategic turn you move them around. The opponent does the same. When moving in to an occupied zone/hex whatever, an attack/assault battle occurs. If both move in on the same turn a meeting engagement. Maps can be procedurally generated, doesn't need to be too 'correct'. This is really all I want, something for me to play where the result of each battle matters for the overall campaign, persistent states. Add supply, reinforcement and what have you, but at it's core this is all I need.

With this system, the game itself contains all I need. No need to scour the 'net hoping to find a good campaign, which I'll probably only play once anyway. And I need to sift through some pretty poor ones along the way. CMBB had a system that, while flawed, was moving in the right direction. You'd have this huge map and fight battles. When the battle ended, the front line and unit states were saved. It gave some sense of continuity, where you'd really want to take that high ground with the last gasp in order to be in control of it for the next battle. It mostly worked. But this all disappeared along the way, and we have the handcrafted, episodic system now. It's good for the 'story', but far too restrictive in my view.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/19/18 01:25 PM

As to content... there is a post on the forums somewhere, where one of the guys have collected all the missions and available scenarios and campaigns for SF1, and it comes to 800!
They will all be playable apparently of SF2 when it gets released.
I have them all, there are shed loads...

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/19/18 01:36 PM

Well that's a lot Trooper so very good. All of those require nothing more than the British Forces module? If so you've got plenty of content thumbsup

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/19/18 02:14 PM

There are 35 campaigns in that download, 4 of them are UK forces I think, plus in the scenarios section there are 67 UK forces missions.
All the other stuff are NATO, Marines, and base game missions and campaigns... biggrin

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/19/18 10:14 PM

Few pics from the demo showing US Forces level of detail...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dmagnusson

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/20/18 08:30 AM

Looking forward

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/21/18 06:08 PM

Some heavily armed insurgents...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/21/18 06:13 PM

Nice! smile2

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/26/18 06:14 PM

So what I found is that as new modules were added to each base game, many if not most of any new user made content now required it to be up to date.

I want to touch on this point again, or at least a tangential point. After participating in this thread I got the itch to play Combat Mission once again. I hadn't played since my laptop died a couple years ago, and wanted to try it out with the desktop PC I built. So I reinstalled CMBN and forked over the 10 bucks for the V4 upgrade.

And frankly I've been disappointed. For a couple of reasons. One is that there is very little user made content for this game (in particular campaigns), and very little new stuff since two years ago. The second thing is that much of what exists was made for an older engine, and as a result plays differently. I haven't played SF2, but I imagine that this huge backlog of 800 scenarios that Trooper mentioned will be similarly affected?

Scenario designers walk a tight line. Their battles are often play-tested within an inch. It needs to challenge the player, but be winnable with the right tactics and choices, or so I think. The lack of a true AI, and the reliance on scripts means that scenario designers instead rely on placement and timing. So things are finely balanced. When engine changes are introduced that modify the behavior of the units in an already existing scenario, the result is often it becomes impossible, or at least far more difficult that originally planned. For example a scenario may be designed to cross open ground. It's tested and tweaked so that it's possible to get across that ground with your infantry, with losses. If the infantry behavior is changed to say retreat and seek cover instead of go to ground, when under mortar fire,or how suppression works is changed, it fundamentally alters the balance of the scenario. It becomes impossible in the first place to get those men across that open space, and what was a tough test before becomes an unwinnable scenario after the changes.

The upshot therefore is that having a big library of scenarios available is of questionable utility when the majority were made using a different ruleset. This adds to the need to have new content designed for the new engine, and not just the need to keep up with modules in order to have everything that newer content requires. Every battle is different, and some perhaps become easier, but that's just the other side of the same coin.

For me it even more starkly illustrates the need for more flexible ways to generate your own content within the current state of the game. The lack of updates and refinement to quick mission builder, and especially the lack of a dynamic campaign or mission generator is even more keenly felt than it's ever been. I'm only speaking for myself, but when getting back in I felt a lot of excitement and anticipation, but the reality sent me crashing back to earth. Combat Mission remains a great game, but is hamstrung by the lack of tools the player is given to create content and enjoy the otherwise amazing tactical battle core that BFC has given us. So you're left to rely on user-made stuff, which becomes in some ways obsolete or out of date as the core evolves.

In most cases I would find a game is not for me, or has shifted outside my preference and I would just move on to something that is more suitable. With Combat Mission though i just can't do it. I like the game too much, and have an attachment to it going back almost 19 years. With this reality smacking me in the face I've even come to resent SF2 in some odd way. I know that BFC is not going to create the sort of campaign system, or generator software that I think the game needs desperately. They make an updated version of an 11 year old game instead of focusing on developing the sort of stuff that I think is so clearly necessary. I also realize it's not my game, and not my work and long, long hours. It's not my dime at risk At the same though I see it all as a huge missed opportunity to not only keep Combat Mission relevant, but to ensure it actually evolves and provides the player not only with an amazing base, but the actual content it requires to make that base shine.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/26/18 06:37 PM

A coincidences because just now I was watching the video below, and as yourself the "itch" to get back to CMBS is on me too! Would have to dish out 10 bucks for the v4 aswell though.

But darn it! It has so much potential that at the same time it makes me sad...

I know these guys below play alot of MP matches, and maybe that´s the way to go when all has been done...
Iam a member too, although havent been active in the past years, but can say there´s nice folks there.

The Blitz Wargaming Club

Red 1 α

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/26/18 06:56 PM

CM MP is awesome, although I've only done PBEM. The game really is fantastic when played this way. My experience is a bit mixed though because of the varying and flucuating motivation levels of your opponents, and especially so if things are tilting your way smile When I used to play with a good life-long friend we didn't have this problem, we played for bragging rights, not just to 'win' although those are obviously linked. But the motivation was camaraderie in a sense, not simply prevailing on the scoreboard.

the BFC boards are full of detailed head-to-head AARs that I find endlessly entertaining. I was actually thinking earlier today how I am having more fun reading those than playing the game. A wargaming club could fill the void so it's a fine suggestion, though for myself as I blow hot and cold it's not really a long term solution. I do like to follow it though.

The only real long term solution, for me, is a way to generate my own campaigns. But the writing on the wall shows it just isn't going to happen. Single scenarios leave me cold for whatever reason. Only campaigns (and head to head) do I find interesting in the long run.
Posted By: Rambler

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/26/18 07:27 PM

In most cases I would find a game is not for me, or has shifted outside my preference and I would just move on to something that is more suitable. With Combat Mission though i just can't do it. I like the game too much, and have an attachment to it going back almost 19 years. With this reality smacking me in the face I've even come to resent SF2 in some odd way. I know that BFC is not going to create the sort of campaign system, or generator software that I think the game needs desperately. They make an updated version of an 11 year old game instead of focusing on developing the sort of stuff that I think is so clearly necessary. I also realize it's not my game, and not my work and long, long hours. It's not my dime at risk At the same though I see it all as a huge missed opportunity to not only keep Combat Mission relevant, but to ensure it actually evolves and provides the player not only with an amazing base, but the actual content it requires to make that base shine.

I hear what you're saying. I only play PBEM with a couple friends, and that's really the only instance I find playing the CM games worthwhile and enjoyable anymore. The sp experience rings hollow. There's no fun there. I personally think it was a dumb move by them to spend all this time and resources updating an 11 year old game when no one, outside of maybe a handful of people, requested it. And while they're doing this, their "newer" titles, such as Red Thunder and Black Sea, have yet to see a module or anything worthwhile (I don't count the lame battle pack for BS) released for them in the nearly 5 and 4 years respectively they've been released. Neither are the games they offer worth the prices they're asking these days, and their whole upgrade system is a joke. The only reason I'm considering getting SF2 is due to the fact I'm eligible for the $35 big upgrade since I already own the complete SF1 suite. If I do decide to get it, I will never buy an engine upgrade for it in the future.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/26/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rambler

that's really the only instance I find playing the CM games worthwhile and enjoyable anymore. The sp experience rings hollow. There's no fun there..

It shouldn't even get to that point, that a long time fan could feel this way. But I'd mostly agree with it, as it stands now.

Edit: I should say that I still enjoy the game single player, but I feel as though I've run out of things to play. Yeah, I have certain preferences, or maybe more accurately certain things that don't interest me. I think it still leaves a wide window, yet I have little to play (that I haven't already) in my wheelhouse. The only parameters I'm looking for are campaigns that aren't big (I always say reinforced company size is ideal for me), and I don't especially care for lots of urban combat. I like to play all forces, and all sorts of missions. I just need a lot more campaigns to choose from smile

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/28/18 03:44 PM

Red

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/28/18 05:20 PM

Thanks for the video. That was pretty good although a bit one sided. I liked the suppression fire coming from the LAVs or whatever they are as they approached the shore. Maybe SF2 is the way to go if i want to keep playing CM.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/29/18 08:57 PM

Your welcome!

Just visited the Battlefront site today and was surprised to not see CMSF for sale any more. It use to be on there site, and was also cheaper then the rest of the modules. Actually, that´s the module I would recomend friends of mine who never played CM but liked what they saw, and because it was IIRC $35 or 25, can´t remember now but alot cheaper then the rest. Who knows, we might even see a newer upgrade with CM Afghanistan to v4, which is now the only module at $25. Remastering just might be what they aim for, oh well. Lucky enough each module comes with it´s own editor so at least you can come up with your own scenarios if you have the time and dedication to it.

Red
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/30/18 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Red2112

Just visited the Battlefront site today and was surprised to not see CMSF for sale any more.
Red

I believe BF stopped selling CMFS when they announced CMSF 2. Since it's basically CMFS upgraded to v4, i think it was a good decision. And owners of CMSF will have have quite a big discount when purchasing CMSF2.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/30/18 09:50 PM

Nice layout...

Red

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/31/18 10:52 AM

Part 2...

Red

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/31/18 03:43 PM

Good stuff!

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/01/18 10:14 PM

Glad you liked it Trooper!

Third and last part...

Red

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/02/18 02:22 PM

Yep, great videos, but can't wait for the full release so that the modders can do their magic and get rid of that awful US uniform that just doesn't blend into that terrain at all.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/02/18 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Trooper117
Yep, great videos, but can't wait for the full release so that the modders can do their magic and get rid of that awful US uniform that just doesn't blend into that terrain at all.

Yes I agree. I think there the same ones as CMBS.

I have always liked the "setting" that SF is set to, so I just might buy it too. The "African Campaign" is my fav WWII era campaign, so I guess that has to do with it a bit. It was also the first tme I played CM, that is with the SF demo back then.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/03/18 02:45 PM

Seems they are already on it smile2

Xactos´s CMSF2 Camo Theme

Red

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/03/18 02:51 PM

lol... that mod is just for the game splash screen.
Uniform and vehicle mods will not work in the demo... we will have to wait for the full release for that.
UI/splashscreen mods, unit symbols, terrain/sky mods etc are the only thing that will work with the demo at present.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/03/18 06:15 PM

lol... that mod is just for the game splash screen.
Uniform and vehicle mods will not work in the demo... we will have to wait for the full release for that.
UI/splashscreen mods, unit symbols, terrain/sky mods etc are the only thing that will work with the demo at present.

Ouch! hahaha

Will have to wait...

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/06/18 04:10 PM

Best settings I have seen so for for the "movie mode". Reshade and other settings in the chat below description....

Red
Posted By: Sir37mm

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/15/18 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Red2112
Best settings I have seen so for for the "movie mode". Reshade and other settings in the chat below description....

Red

Thanks Red, I've released other (and better) video's since then.

This is my latest for CMSF2...

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/15/18 04:09 AM

CMSF2 IS NOT "just a reskin of CMSF1"... from what I understand, basically every scenario/campaign from the original game is being revamped & reworked with improved maps, new AI plans... in some cases totally rebuilt.

Additionally, ALL the original Quick Battle maps from the first game are also being reworked (and hundreds of new ones added)... and given the improved Quick Battle system of later games.

Finally you have the improved engine & peformance of v4.01 CMSF2 (CMSF1 was v1.32).

For any owners of the original game the upgrade will only be $35.

It should be noted that all content from CMSF1 is meant to be compatible with CMSF2... I've compiled, & made available, 30+ campaigns & 650+ scenarios on the BFC forums.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/15/18 04:53 PM

OK, perhaps reskin is too narrow of a word for what SF2 is, but even with the things you listed it isn't much more in my view. How about the word makeover ? smile

Improved maps. Meaning what?

AI plans. This is like a band-aid on a compound fracture as I see it. AI plans have limited utility, and only make what little difference they do make when you are playing something for a second time. For folks playing the same scenario or campaign over (and over?) they will see a variation in enemy unit placement, but to me AI plans highlight Combat Mission's faults instead of fix them.

Quick battle maps? Ya know, I don't want to rain on the parade, and if folks are excited about it I think that's great. Instead of new maps I'd rather just get the old Combined Arms selection back, so that if I DO want to play a quick battle I can get a decent enemy force composition without having to pick them myself, which removes any uncertainty right off the bat, which in turn limits the appeal. In CMx1 I had quite a bit of fun playing quick battles. In CMx2 I just don't.

Lastly, while having 30 campaigns and 650 scenarios is a truckload of content, how much of it has been re-done to reflect the changing engine/ rules since the time they were first created?

I wish BFC much success and I hope SF2 sells well. I may even get it myself. But that doesn't change the fact I think this game is mistake, in the sense that resources and time have gone in to this re-purposing of old content instead of evolving the series and dealing with the most glaring flaws. This is my take on it, and I hope that the folks looking forward to it find it to be a quality addition to the CM series.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/16/18 11:14 AM

OK, perhaps reskin is too narrow of a word for what SF2 is, but even with the things you listed it isn't much more in my view... I wish BFC much success and I hope SF2 sells well. I may even get it myself. But that doesn't change the fact I think this game is mistake, in the sense that resources and time have gone in to this re-purposing of old content instead of evolving the series and dealing with the most glaring flaws. This is my take on it, and I hope that the folks looking forward to it find it to be a quality addition to the CM series.

I think we can agree that CMSF2 will not be CMx3.

My understanding is that BFC are updating CMSF as a "thank you" for the people who have supported it since that difficult first release... I think they've even stated they'll be happy if they only break even.

Personally, I think it'll sell pretty well... but it certainly looks like BFC under-appreciated the amount of work that would be required.
Lastly, while having 30 campaigns and 650 scenarios is a truckload of content, how much of it has been re-done to reflect the changing engine/ rules since the time they were first created?

Only official BFC content is being updated currently... I'm sure other players will begin updating some of the older content (as well as creating new stuff... Syrian Civil War battles, with drones, seems highly likely) once the game is released.

However, considering the simplistic nature of the original CMSF editor, I'd imagine many of the scenario's will play well enough... clearing out insurgents from a walled compound is still going to be an ass, ATGM's are still going to mess up your LAV's, you'll probably still want to keep your loyalist T-72's away from those RPG infested rebel strongholds etc.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/16/18 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sir37mm

My understanding is that BFC are updating CMSF as a "thank you" for the people who have supported it since that difficult first release... I think they've even stated they'll be happy if they only break even.

Altruistic perhaps, but not going to pave the way for the next step, whatever shape that takes. On a personal level I like the Battlefront guys, and love their simulator. But it's falling behind in my view and I want to see it leap forward. Onward CMx3! Or is it 5? Who cares? To the next engine!

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/17/18 03:56 PM

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/26/18 03:44 AM

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/26/18 10:46 AM

Great stuff... at last some decent footage of British Forces!

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/04/18 08:43 PM

Combat Mission Shock Force 2 has been released! winkngrin

CMSF2 Forum release notes

Product page does not show "pre-order" anymore but main BFC page hasent been updated yet, so you wont see any news there yet.

Red
Posted By: Behemoth

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/06/18 08:54 PM

From what little I've played, it's like a classic reborn. I feel I have a lot more command and response options that keep my pixeltruppen alive longer than the original. The original was very unforgiving.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/07/18 03:48 PM

I've been checking the BFC boards each day and am surprised at the lack of threads/posts/discussion about this game. With it just released you might expect a flood of comments, at least at the start. Curious that it's not generating much discussion, or at least a 'first impressions' sort of thing. But maybe that's natural since it's more or less SF1, but betta!

What's next on the Battlefront agenda? Have they announced their next venture? I'd suggest they start by not just improving, but coming up with a completely new store, download and upgrade process.

There is so much that they could do. If they are going to do more 'makeovers' I'd love to see CMBB 2, with the operations feature retained. I need me some 1941 East Front Combat Mission!
Posted By: Textanker

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/08/18 04:08 PM

ITS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/08/18 05:11 PM

I've been checking the BFC boards each day and am surprised at the lack of threads/posts/discussion about this game. With it just released you might expect a flood of comments, at least at the start. Curious that it's not generating much discussion, or at least a 'first impressions' sort of thing. But maybe that's natural since it's more or less SF1, but betta!

What's next on the Battlefront agenda? Have they announced their next venture? I'd suggest they start by not just improving, but coming up with a completely new store, download and upgrade process.

There is so much that they could do. If they are going to do more 'makeovers' I'd love to see CMBB 2, with the operations feature retained. I need me some 1941 East Front Combat Mission!

Fulda gap has been getting a lot of requests from the mass over at BF.com, That would be my favorite next in the modern era.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/08/18 07:59 PM

I could get in to that. But Battlefront doesn't do all-encompassing games anymore so that could be Fulda gap in the '60s or the 80's or anywhere in between, meaning a big window for units involved.

Though my preference is for a Barbarossa CMx2 game, there are plenty of alternatives I would find appealing. Just at least 30 years ago....

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/09/18 07:36 PM

What's next on the Battlefront agenda?

An expansion to the Italy theatre is next (Rome to Victory)... it's being worked on now.
Also the long awaited patches for the engine 4 updates for all five CM titles... that will be followed by another expansion for the Russian Front... Red Thunder.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/10/18 03:37 PM

Thanks Troop!

I really enjoy Red Thunder, just something about east front combat that appeals. An expansion would be welcome. I hope it comes with twenty campaigns!

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/10/18 08:35 PM

Apparently the Russian one will take them to the end of the war... there was some talk at some stage about Operation Barbarossa in the future, which would be much more appealing to me.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/10/18 09:07 PM

Yeah, I saw a post over there that they will eventually do the entire east front, in four expansions, with 1941 being the last of the four.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/11/18 09:53 AM

What's next on the Battlefront agenda?

An expansion to the Italy theatre is next (Rome to Victory)... it's being worked on now.
Also the long awaited patches for the engine 4 updates for all five CM titles... that will be followed by another expansion for the Russian Front... Red Thunder.

I also have my suspicions that they are working on a desert WW2 family... probably starting with the Tunisia campaign.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/11/18 11:03 AM

I want the Libyan theatre of North Africa...

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/17/18 04:43 PM

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 12/21/18 09:43 PM

Looks real nice Sir37mm. I picked up CMSF2 upgrade today, great price! Thanks for sharing!

Red

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 01/05/19 04:33 PM

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 01/08/19 05:17 PM

Great movies Sir37mm. The sounds (i believe it's "waclaw's sound mod") are outstanding.

Today i got my copy of SF2 with Marines and NATO modules. Fortunately i was able to purchase upgrades, thanks to BFC customer support. I wrote a ticket yesterday saying that i have a boxed copy of CMSF which was sold by Paradox many years ago. But these copies had no license key so i could not prove i actually purchased CMSF.

But i also wrote that i bought two modules directly from BFC store, i wrote all the details of these orders and today BFC mailed me a new CMSF license saying that since i bought two modules i must have had the base game so it's good enough for them. Really cool i must say. thumbsup

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 01/08/19 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by USSCheyenne
Great movies Sir37mm. The sounds (i believe it's "waclaw's sound mod") are outstanding.

Today i got my copy of SF2 with Marines and NATO modules. Fortunately i was able to purchase upgrades, thanks to BFC customer support. I wrote a ticket yesterday saying that i have a boxed copy of CMSF which was sold by Paradox many years ago. But these copies had no license key so i could not prove i actually purchased CMSF.

But i also wrote that i bought two modules directly from BFC store, i wrote all the details of these orders and today BFC mailed me a new CMSF license saying that since i bought two modules i must have had the base game so it's good enough for them. Really cool i must say. thumbsup

I had a similar experience with support, and yes they were great about the whole thing, so yes Iam a happy CMSF2 user now too. smile2

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 01/10/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by USSCheyenne

Thanks Cheyenne, Waclaw is indeed the one responsible for most of my sounds (HQS 3.1 is his latest version)... although I also have loads of background ambience I've gathered off of youtubes over the years.

You're not the only one to give a similiar story about how quick & reasonable BFC are being with the upgrade keys.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 01/19/19 06:55 PM

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 03/09/19 12:40 AM

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 04/29/19 09:03 AM

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 06/14/19 02:58 AM

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 06/14/19 10:44 AM

lol... while the bombardment was going on, that might have been a good time to cross that open ground...

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 06/15/19 09:59 PM

lol... while the bombardment was going on, that might have been a good time to cross that open ground...

Lol you're likely right although it was more a "proof of concept" showcase vid than a real scenario.

Saying that, you will note that the Red Air Support tends to be quite a bit less accurate than the blue JDAM stuff (one dumb bomb even went off in the paddies) plus the commander (me) underestimated the effects of good morale of the defenders (they recovered much more quickly, when the barrage ended, than I expected).

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 07/07/19 01:48 PM

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 08/14/19 10:36 AM

Posted By: carrick58

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/01/19 11:00 PM

I am interested in playing a BF game but cant decide which one, What game is the newest ? which one has the best eye candy and plays well ? Red Thunder and Normandy look cool. SF2 seems to be the latest ? What do U guys think ?

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/02/19 04:12 PM

Normandy has alot of user content, so does SF2 (once they updated everything from SF1 to SF2). So it´s a matter of which era you prefer. Or better yet, get both if you can winkngrin

Both use the latest game engine (v4) so makes no difference in that case.

Red

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/02/19 04:36 PM

When deciding on which Combat Mission game to be the first, it helps to know what you're interested in. If the answer is all of it, then I'd say get Normandy as it has the most content (user made) as Red alluded to. Otherwise, get the title that focuses on what you're interested in.

The latest modern title is SF2 and the latest WW2 title is Final Blitzkrieg.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/06/19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by carrick58
I am interested in playing a BF game but cant decide which one, What game is the newest ? which one has the best eye candy and plays well ? Red Thunder and Normandy look cool. SF2 seems to be the latest ? What do U guys think ?

Have you tried any of the Demo's?

With CM it doesn't really matter that much which is the latest game released because they all get updated to the latest standards (well all except CM:Afghanistan).

Likwise "out of the box" eye candy is pretty similiar between all the games.

It really does depend most on what era you're personally interested in.

Although CMSF2 & CMBN have, by far, the most user content available (I suspect CMSF2 actually has the edge here)... so that is an important consideration.

Another consideration is how many nations, weather conditions & environments will each game family cover.

I'd say the CMFI "big bundle"* is probably the hands down winner here with Italians, Germans, Americans, Brits, Canadians, Aussies, New Zealanders, Poles, South Africans, Indians, Free French & Brazilians fighting for three years from the hottest of summer weather to the bitterest of snowy winter.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/07/19 02:25 PM

I like the CMFI recommendation, as it's a really interesting mix. The forces, the vehicles and weapons, the terrain. It's a great title to get if you like to get your hands dirty and build your own missions to play. There are just so many options. And there are quite a few single scenarios available to keep you busy too.

For campaign players Normandy is the one to get, unless you like to build your own. And if you do, please share them! Get the CMBN big bundle if you do go that route. There are a lot more CMBN campaigns floating around than for the other titles, and having the big bundle gives you the modules you need to play them all..

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/18/19 02:03 AM

I picked up Final Blitzkrieg since it was WWII ( with lots of armor ) Now I cant get it to play, the pop up says path does not exist C:/users/App/ data/local/temp does not exist. any suggestions ? from someone having this game. thanks.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/18/19 07:57 PM

Why is it looking for a temp folder? This is when you attempt to start the game? Or installing it? Has it been activated?

Most likely thing is incorrect installation procedure. No way to know if that's the trouble here. But it's the cause of most start-up trouble with CM games as it's all a bit archaic really.

Did you get the full installer? Any engine upgrades? Battle packs? Modules?

Can you run the game from the exe from within the install directory? Try running in administrator mode? Run it with anti-virus disabled?

Best bet is to submit a ticket to the helpdesk. They are on point most of the time.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/18/19 10:08 PM

Hi there: I did a clean re install Complete then A Battle front. com. pop up. Then Error source code C: users/user/ app data/local/temp 7zocgo2272 does not exist . I was then given the choice of abort ,retry ( does work), or cancel. I checked the disk super clean no scratches or dust or finger prints, Never got to the activation code part., Basic game on disk, no modes or battle paxs I will check to see if I can get into C drive and run as admin. Thanks for ur thoughts on the matter and will send a slip to the Help desk. Read where BF might do the Great Fear of the Cold War where Russian Tanks would pour thru the Gap in Germany that would make for great game experience.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/19/19 12:21 PM

The guys at the help desk are err, helpful. Or maybe it's a dude named John.

Anyway, he is usually right there with the fix. It has to be activated, so if that's not done it may be part of the trouble.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/20/19 04:27 PM

Nope. I never got that far. I did get off a ticket for help . Thanks again.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/20/19 07:36 PM

OK, hope they can help. I searched around the Battlefront boards and found one other thread where someone had a similar message from installing CMSF2, but there had never been a response. So I bumped it and still nada I'm afraid. Have to hope the helpdesk can solve it.

Maybe the download is corrupted in some way. Perhaps try downloading it again?

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/20/19 08:47 PM

Battlefront is saying they don't see your ticket carrick.

http://community.battlefront.com/to...big-bundle/?tab=comments#comment-1801532

I'm landser over there.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/22/19 12:58 PM

I reinstalled CMBN and CMRT yesterday, so saw again the install process. Not too many ways the install could go wrong I don't think. The one thing that could I suppose is to run the setup exe from within the zip file. Just to be sure, did you extract the compressed files first? I am assuming FB, which I do not own, uses the same process as the other CMx2 titles.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 09/27/19 01:58 PM

Carrick popped smoke and haven't seen him since. Well, hope you get it running.

I'm in the midst of my semi-annual Combat Mission kick and a couple of days ago I was thinking about picking up Shock Force 2, so browsed about Battlefront's site. I didn't buy it in the end because of the price (US $125 for the big bundle), but it's an encouraging sign that I was considering it. I think I'd like to branch out in to at least one of Combat Mission's modern titles, and the conventional wisdom among long time players is buy Black Sea if you mostly play head to head, and Shock Force if mostly against the AI.

So even though I was thrown back with no losses on my first recon, I'll probably be back for it at some point. It looks really good.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/20/19 06:13 PM

Thanks DBond: I have been posting on a different Board as I played the Game. The people at Battlefront did a good job and gave good advice on getting the game up and running. I was having 2 problems the 1st was the unzipping the files. I was trying to use and older copy of 7 Zip. I switched over to Bandi Zip ( as directed ) and Presto it started right up. The second thing was lack of space on the drive so deleted old un-used programs . I been enjoying the game and I thank all for the quick help. I was looking at SF2 ,but it mentions suburbia fighting not really my thing. Battlefront gave good service and I can get a lot of use out of the product so I will buy again from them.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/21/19 01:52 PM

Yes, the BFC boys are good blokes it seems. Glad you got it working. I came thisclose to buying either SF2 or CMBS last night but did not. I even considered CMFI. The only thing I did buy was the engine 4 upgrade for CMRT, but I will get another title sooner, or maybe later.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/22/19 02:20 PM

Over the past few weeks or months I've vacillated about buying another Combat Mission title. I keep thinking I'd like to branch out in to the modern titles, either Black Sea or SF2. And there's CMFI too, which intrigues me because I reckon I'll see a lot of elevated terrain, and none of the titles I play really have much of this, and I love combat with varying terrain. And with the new module due to drop soon it's an interesting option. For whatever reason Final Blitzkreig hasn't entered the race. Not sure why, looks good, but I think maybe too samey to justify the cost for me.

The front runner is Shock Force 2. Partly it's due to wanting the modern game (and how new and distinct it would be for me), partly due to my long-time interest and attraction to assymetrical warfare, but mostly due to the fact that it has tons of content. Each time I log on to Battlefront's site I have a look around but can't seem to pull the trigger. So I decided the best way to convince myself that I need SF2 was to try it. So I downloaded the demo and it's fun. I've only messed around with the training mission, and not too successfully at first I might add, but it takes some adjustment from the 1940s doesn't it?

I was critical of BFC for choosing to make SF2 (in this thread) as I think the time and effort could be better spent in other directions, but since I never played SF1 it works out well for me still doesn't it? The big bundle is US $125 which is steep, but you know in the end it will be peanuts per hour. I'll mess around with the demo for a while longer, but I think SF2 is going to get the nod.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/23/19 01:24 PM

Well, despite my protests I could resist no longer and bought the SF2 big bundle with all of the modules. I was a little disappointed to see just seven campaigns included, but I will find more in the usual places I am sure. Based on zero evidence I assumed that with it being so popular and with so much time to percolate, not to mention the whole redux version that I'd find twenty or more campaigns included.

Campaigns however are still a bit down the line as I adjust to the new battlefield. I played a few QBs, meeting engagements and a defend mission using company sized US Army infantry formations backed by a couple of Bradley's and a M1A1. The drones are cool toys, and infantry have lethal long range AT ability which takes getting used to. Can't wait to have some air support in a battle, that must be awesome.

And eventually I'll be able to work some SF2 campaigns in to the reviews thread to help balance it out a bit as it's all Normandy and East Front so far. Anyone have a recommendation for a good first SF2 campaign?

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/24/19 03:07 PM

Man this forum is dead. The whole site is devoid of any kind of discussion unless it's politics, movies, music or sci-fi. Just an unending series of semi-related comments. And aside from myself and few posts by Carrick, there's been nothing in this sub-forum for months. Sad. I keep posting though, but maybe I just need to stick to the BFC boards. With folks there actually in to Combat Mission it's lively and the discussions are interesting and in-depth. Here at SimHQ it's all gone. There was a time when it was different.

But for now I'll keep posting, and I want to bring up the fact that I seemed to have once again misjudged the campaign availability for a CM title. I reasoned that with SF2 so popular, and the fact that it's been through two releases not to mention being twelve years old, that I'd find a lot of campaigns. Nope. The Scenario Depot has a grand total of zero SF2 campaigns, though I found to my relief that the SF1 campaigns work, even if they are missing the new features and haven't been reworked for SF2.

I had a look about and chose one for SF1 called Forging Steel. The opening mission is a probe with a recon platoon, a few Bradleys and backed by a platoon of M1s. Really nice map that evokes the Syrian landscape, and a manageable force. Honestly, this composition isn't much different from what I put together when I play QBs, although I usually go for a company of grunts, but it's just the initial probe, I'm sure it ramps up a bit after.

Did my terrain analysis, and formulated my plan and moved out. I was really in to it, but soon I started thinking that the enemy seemed fanatical. They didn't break, didn't run. There is an extensive trench/ditch network all over the map, and attempting to dislodge these troops seemed exceedingly difficult. One lousy F/O team had two Abrams, a .50 cal Humvee and a Bradley all firing at it from feet away and they just laid in the ditch. At one point I had a M1 over top of the ditch they were in and they didn't surrender, didn't try to run, just threw grenades at me. So I did something I never do and opened up the scenario to see what's going on, and found that every unit, every vehicle was Crack. Yep, that's explains it. Is the Syrian army so finely honed?

Edit: Was told on the BFC board that this campaign isn't Syrian army, but it is a hypothetical "Blue vs Red" high intensity, Mechanized war campaign, which at least answers my question of why the Syrians were so highly trained and motivated. Because they are not Syrians. They do kinda look like them though....

So I stopped playing, not that I can't continue, but if every enemy in this campaign is Crack then I'm not sure I will, as it's a bit over the top and makes the scenario unrealistically difficult and tedious. I'm sure the Syrians are a professional army, but is the entire army trained to such a fine edge? I'm doubtful, though I admit a lack of real information and knowledge, though as with all games like this I play, it spurs an effort to learn all I can on the subject.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/24/19 05:47 PM

I'm a reader more than a writer, DBond, I reading you and you matter to me! hehe!

-B

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/24/19 06:08 PM

Dammit now you went and ruined my rant! biggrin

Thanks Behemoth, nice to read your message. Which CM games are you in to?

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/24/19 08:22 PM

I've got all the WWII stuff DBond, they are great fun, had lots of enjoyment from them, although I haven't played them properly for a few months.
Bought SF2 as well, but haven't really had time to explore the game properly yet.
I do read your posts, but as I've not been playing I've not had any input to compare with you smile

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/24/19 08:50 PM

Thanks Troop. I think I'm going to put that Forging Steel campaign on hold and play the Task Force Thunder campaign that shipped with the original game. It's been updated for SF2 and I hope UAVs added, we shall see.

I appreciate the replies, now to get some guys playing and talking about it smile

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/25/19 11:28 AM

When I got the game a few days ago I messed around with a few QBs to get a feel for the new battlefield. After all, it's quite different from WW2 to which I am accustomed. I posted on the BFC boards asking for campaign recommendations after finding Forging Steel a bit rugged. I did just fine I think, but the enemy troops are too resolute. Not exactly what I wanted for my first taste of a modern CM title. Task Force Thunder was one of the campaigns suggested to me, so I decided to give it a go. Several folks there recommended that I take my time, play some QBs to get used to SF2, which is really good advice, as I played the first scenario in the campaign last night and perhaps took more casualties than I am comfortable with biggrin

[Linked Image]

Attached picture TheBerm.jpg

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/25/19 09:05 PM

All of them. Though SF2 is my current, BS as well. I would be doing Normandy but I'm too lazy/busy to re-install it. on my laptop. I love them all. I really like the large maps where the long reach of a tank gun can be felt in the modern stuff. But I also like the down and dirty house to house for both eras. I'll try to creep less and chat more. But I read, a lot. Your interests and others is a welcome sight in the desert that is this hobby. ...Cheese filter off...

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/26/19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Behemoth
Your interests and others is a welcome sight in the desert that is this hobby

Thanks. Yes, share what's going on in your games, if you feel like it, I'd be interested. And maybe I would learn something about scenarios and campaigns you play and give 'em a go myself. In addition to game-specific stuff, what I 'd really like to see around here is more in-depth discussion of the history, technical details, and tactics. You know, how Operation Wintergewitter could have succeeded, or a T-34 vs Panther discussion, best mantlet design, or what the typical ToE of a panzerjaeger battalion in Normandy in 1944 was. That sort of stuff.

I was back and forth between Black Sea and SF2 before finally deciding. Black Sea is a more traditional setup, less assymetric, better balanced on each side, and higher tech. I will probably get it at some point. I might get CMFI too, and that would leave CMFB as the only title not in my library, well aside from Afghanistan.

I played the second battle of Task Force Thunder last night. Again, just a single casualty. So far I have caused around 600-700 casualties while taking two. It's fun, but I think mainly due to being so new and different. But obviously with ratios like that it's not so challenging. I'm only two battles in to the campaign and the main gripe is the maps are so small there is zero latitude for any sort of maneuver, no broad tactical leeway. My infantry have been barely involved, and half have yet to even dismount. Just a matter of using my vehicles and artillery to get the enemy out of their holes and gun 'em down. It's a long campaign though and I suspect it may open up a bit. The next mission is to capture an airfield using a Stryker company with Apache support and Vipers on call. Cool.

tanksalot

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/27/19 09:31 PM

I too do the reading Bond, and hopefully will get back into CM soon. Iam more into the modern stuff though.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 10/28/19 01:28 PM

Right on Red, post something about what you're up to if you ever get back in to it if you feel like it.

As far as modern vs WW2, I can finally comment on this, having played Shock Force 2 for a week now. I like the modern stuff, but if my early impressions are anything to go by, I can't see it overtaking WW2 for me. Partly this may be due to what I am playing, the Task Force Thunder campaign. The design of this campaign (through five missions) lacks the sort of, I don't know, tactical freedom perhaps, that I find so appealing. The maps are small, and honestly most battles have felt like shooting galleries, using the tremendous firepower of my vehicles to win them. There's been no maneuver, no complex co-ordination of my combined arms. My infantry have hardly been involved, spending most of the campaign remaining mounted in their Strykers.

Speaking of Strykers, I was surprised to see a couple of soldiers riding in one open the hatches on the Stryker and pop up, firing their M4s and grenade launchers when the vehicle got close to enemy infantry. That was cool and I wasn't expecting it. After killing the enemy, they dropped back down and closed the hatches.

What I need is smallish forces on a huge map, so that maneuver in the proper sense is required. The first battle of the Forging Steel campaign is like this. Too bad it has a crack enemy force that makes weeding out the enemy such a chore.

In my last post I mentioned that my next mission was to capture an airfield with a Stryker company with Apache support and backed by on-call Vipers. But that's not so. I'm guessing that when they re-did the campaign for SF2 that they changed the Apaches to F-16s, so I had no Apaches. The briefing though says I do. I tend to cut Battlefront a lot of slack for their lack of polish in so many areas, but something like this is harder to excuse because the player will base his plans on these things. I caught on pretty quickly that it was an error, or a legacy from the original mission that wasn't caught and corrected. But still.

That airfield mission was the most difficult so far, but I still got a total victory/enemy surrender and took seven casualties (and three killed) while losing no vehicles. In the five battles I've completed I have taken a total of nine casualties (two with none, two with one, and one with seven). The enemy have lost over one thousand and lots of vehicles and tanks. It is awesome how fast an Abrams acquires and kills, though I've only had them for two of the first six missions, mostly it's been Strykers with no heavy armor. The Strykers can have either a .50 cal, a Mk19 or a 105mm gun, so bring some serious firepower themselves, although they are rather vulnerable. That slat armor makes a big difference though, and can defeat the RPGs that are everywhere it seems.

Speaking of the Mk19 (automatic grenade launcher).... what the hell is with these things? I could shoot one better blindfolded than the pixeltruppen do in CM. It's pretty bad.

I like SF2 as it's new and novel, but I need to find campaigns that are more tactical, less of a firepower shooting gallery showcase. Unfortunately, as with all Combat Mission titles, campaigns are few and I fear I won't find what I am looking for exactly. I'm spoiled by campaigns like Red Thunder's Blunting the Spear and it's operational feel and emphasis on tactical planning and execution. I'd love to play a SF2 campaign that imparted the same sense of scale and need for complex planning.
Posted By: trindade

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/01/19 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Behemoth
I'm a reader more than a writer, DBond, I reading you and you matter to me! hehe!

-B

+1 thumbsup

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/02/19 01:03 PM

So Combat Mission players are the strong and silent type eh? OK, I'll have to accept that you guys like reading, but not writing smile

Thanks for commenting though.

Still, I'd like to read what others are up to. Especially campaigns, so if you play one, post how you liked it, how you did, whether you recommend it, that sort of thing please. Or any sort of operational, tactical or technical discussion would be most welcome.

But for now, I'll carry that torch and continue to blab on about what I'm doing. Still plugging away with the Task Force Thunder (SF2) campaign. I am on the 15th mission I believe. While I feel it has it's shortcomings, overall it's a good campaign. Some really cool missions and a nice variety. Forces are a reasonable size, very manageable. It's mostly centered around the Stryker Brigades, which is what Battlefront was intending with SF2. M1s and Bradleys are in there, but only a handful of missions. Mostly it's Strykers which is fine. But M1s are so cool, and Bradleys are one of my favorite armored vehicles ever so would like to see them more often. Minor complaint and quite specific to me.

One of the missions (Lock and Chase) sees the player take command of an infantry platoon in the heart of a city. They have been cut off and are on their own, and pursued by more than a company of enemy infantry. The player must hold them off and secure two objectives while awaiting reinforcements who don't show up for more than a half hour. Another mission (Dagger Fight) sees your Stryker platoon arrive and needs to rescue a recon unit who are under siege. You need to get to them, and then get them off the map. Lots of fun.

On the other hand there were two missions that I absolutely did not like. One I think is called Objective Normandy. It's an attack by your Stryker company against a dug-in enemy force with pillboxes, lots of RPGs and ATGMs and machine guns. It's a flat, open map with small hedges dividing the map in to fields. LOS is a nightmare, and there are mines. It would make a great WW2 scenario. With weapons of that era, this would be good I think. Not unlike much of the fighting in Normandy. But when you add ATGMs to it, the whole dynamic changes. They always get first shot, and guided weapons rarely miss, and there's nowhere to hide. Even all the objective names are WW2 terms. I can see what the author was going for but it doesn't work for me. Transpose it to CMBN and now we're talking. The thing is I look at a mission like this and my first reaction is that it would not be done this way in reality. It's the sort of situation that a pair of Apaches could clear in 15 minutes with chain guns. But a company of IFV-mounted grunts are gonna suffer. There are many things that make for a good mission, and plausibility is certainly one, and here I don't see it. Perhaps others enjoy it, I don't know.

The other one is an attack on an entrenched enemy in a town, with no cover to use on the approach and the enemy have ATGMs, RPGs and recoiless rifles, while the player gets a reinforced Stryker company. I took out all of the enemy armor with Javs, but just no way I could find to get in town without heavy casualties. Maybe others have better luck. I can't bring myself to throw away 'lives' just to win. I'm obsessed with preserving my forces, and completing missions with the fewest casualties I can. When I am done this campaign I'll post the totals at the end and you will see how focused I've been on this.

But in the main the missions are good, on the easy side, and fun. And with more than 15 missions (how many?) it's a proper campaign and content for CMSF2. The main word that comes to mind for me is immediacy. Most battles begin as if all the maneuver is complete and each element is poised for the assault. Usually your forces are hidden by a terrain feature, like a ridge or berm, and as soon as you crest it, the entire battle is spread out in front and close. Not very tactical frankly, more a matter of quickly establishing fire superiority and pounding the enemy in to submission. It was nearly halfway through the campaign before I felt like I saw a mission that required any sort of tactical maneuvering

I've also started the British campaign, which is cool since I don't know so much about their forces, aside from the Challenger and the L85A2 rifle. But their IFVs and support weapons are sorta new to me so this will be a good learning experience.

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 03/03/20 01:48 AM

Heaven & Earth, the "Vietnam-esque" Super-mod, is still very much a work in progress but I think we're now at a stage where we can start an 'open beta'.

Enjoy & don't hesitate to give the team some feedback.

The download link (includes the manual)...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ij3gj4f3qmosjny/H%26E_0.96.7z/file

The manual only (for those who just wish to peruse) link...

http://download1979.mediafire.com/t2e7pgu84vqg/9vrw3i18q5qpydf/H%26E+0.96+Manual.pdf

The kind of stuff that you can expect...

Content includes...

Two "Bong-Hai Civil War" Era Campaigns (one original 15 mission campaign by @puje and a 7 mission "conversion" campaign by myself).
Eleven "Bong-Hai Civil War" Era scenarios (all "conversions").
Nine Modern Era scenarios (one original scenario by @Sgt.Squarehead and eight simple conversions by myself).
Three Quick battle map conversions by @Combatintman.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/136548-heaven-earth-open-beta/

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - 11/28/20 04:55 PM

Hell just received their first shipment of parkas and scarves, and not coincidentally, SF2 is on sale! Yeah, I couldn't either

Battlefront

https://www.battlefront.com/shock-force-2/

Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369370/Combat_Mission_Shock_Force_2/
© 2024 SimHQ Forums