homepage

Quiz test

Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Quiz test - 02/03/19 09:07 PM

Since things are rather quiet on this site these days, I thought I would post a Spitfire quiz thread as an opportunity for those of you that are hot shot historians and those who are just quiz geeks.

Can anyone identify the pilot of this Spitfire MKIa and provide the details of what squadron he flew with?

Attached picture 1.JPG
Posted By: Dark_Canuck

Re: Quiz test - 02/03/19 10:24 PM

It is 72 Sqn RAF "Basutoland" Sqn, so named for the Basutoland protectorate which donated aircraft to Britain through both World Wars.

The pilot F/O Desmond FB "Des" Sheen. On 5 Sep 1940, when wounded, managed to exit Spitfire Mk I RN-J while hurtling towards the ground. Sucked out of the cockpit, the 22-year-old Australian found his boots caught on the windscreen and left lying on top of the fuselage. On pulling the ripcord and landing in trees, he was greeted with "You left it a bit late" and handed a flask by a policeman on a bicycle.

Re: Quiz test - 02/03/19 11:14 PM

OOOwee Canuck!!! You got it bang on mate! I'm impressed. I must work harder for the next one.

Buy the man a round at the virtual bar!

Best Regards

Re: Quiz test - 02/03/19 11:22 PM

One more for tonight...

What squadron, what pilot, any additional history worth reporting on it...

Attached picture vs190203-001.JPG
Posted By: Adger

Re: Quiz test - 02/04/19 01:17 AM

Hi Robert myself hailing from Stoke on Trent birthplace of RJ Mitchell us Potters have a great admiration of all things Spit related ..

I believe it's Jock Cunningham of 19th SQD. Was he credited with 5 air-air victories and spent time in Stalag Luft after being shot down over France pal.

Re: Quiz test - 02/04/19 03:27 AM

Hi Adger;

I won't say you are wrong because often more than one pilot flew in any given aircraft unless it was a personal craft of a given officer. In the screen capture provided it is not the represented mount of Jock Cunningham. I will provide the details in a PM to you so as not to spoil it for any of the others.
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Quiz test - 02/04/19 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
One more for tonight...

What squadron, what pilot, any additional history worth reporting on it...

19 Sqn... flown by Sqn Ldr Sandy Lane, and also flown by Flight-Lieutenant 'Farmer' Lawson.

Re: Quiz test - 02/04/19 12:43 PM

You got it Trooper! Good show!
Posted By: Adger

Re: Quiz test - 02/04/19 12:54 PM

Thanks for the PM Robert,I'm drooling over the upcoming Spitfire.
I sincerely wish you the best of luck in skinning this beautiful bird. Are you allowed to say how many skins your making pal?
Cannot wait to take her up..cheers again mate.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums