homepage

What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!?

Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/05/19 01:28 AM

And Away We Go!:

[Linked Image]

Welcome to the Wings Over The Reich Zwei Guys Challenge!

See, back in the day, we used to have these things called Rick Rawlings Challenges…according to some people, they put hair on your chest. That is completely unproven, but many people are saying…
Anyway, I have been singing that #%&*$# song in my head for two months now, and I figured that if I had the song, might as well have the challenge to go with it…

Here's a look at our previous enterprises if you missed them or just want to know what they were about…
Eindecker Challenge Yes, this was a thing...
Revenge of Der Flieger
Bloody April
SPAD Challenge
Circus Challenge Where we all learned to skin...
Brisfit Challenge
Final Challenge *cough*
Anniversary Challenge
Albatros Dos
Sopwith Challenge
Lafeyette Escadrille Challenge

For this challenge, you will be flying for Germany as a (quite frankfurterly!) underappreciated member of JG 54’s schwarm zwei.

In order to participate in this challenge you must:
1. Declare your interest and intent in this thread on or before Wednesday, January 30, 2019.
2. Create a pilot using the manual squad creation option with a start date of August 15, 1940, flying for Germany in JG 54 as a flieger .
3. Commit to flying 3-6 missions per week with this pilot, but no more than one per campaign day.
4. Report at least every weekend in this topic thread with his current successes or failures.
5. Faithfully communicate to your brethren the falling of your avatar when such event actually transpires.
6. Have a lot of fun!

Please enter your pilot at this link:
Pilot Questionnaire
Please update this survey after every few missions, or at least once a week!

This is kind of a "Who's Line Is It Anyway" sort of affair where we try to have fun with good people.
Reporting can be by any of the following methods:
-Text is good
-Pictures are better
-Videos are what this sim is made for!

There were some great reports and pictures and vids in the previous challenges, so look over them if you want some ideas!

This is single elimination, so one death and you are out. Keep in mind that even if you are not playing "dead is dead" in the workshop, at the end of each mission it will still tell you that "Sadly, your pilot has died" if his injuries were fatal so you don't need to switch your settings for this. Keep in mind that if you land in England or the channel, you may be captured and the war over for you. So be careful up there!

When you set up your pilot, click on "Manual Squad Deployment" in the lower right hand corner of the enlistment page. Set up the following screen so it looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Scoring:

Missions: +2 point each
Time survived: +2 points each week
Confirmed kill: +3 points each
Becoming an ace: +5 points (only once)
Promotion: +5 points each promotion
Medals: +3 points each
Survive to end of Challenge: +10 points
Wounding: -8 points each occurrence

This challenge will have a have a hard end date of Friday, March 1st. (love Februarys!) That gives us four weeks exactly. You can have a maximum of 24 missions total. Then we can tally the points and declare a winner. You are certainly free to continue to fly your pilot after that if still alive, but for point determination, we need a cut-off date.

The Fine Print: (Rules)
You may use whatever aids you are used to using. Wind should be set to “On”. Please set your weather to “Historical Weather”. Flight model should be realistic and you should have weapons jams and limited ammo and all that jazz...
Feel free to lead your flights if you want!

The point is to have fun and we had outstanding support and sportsmanship from all fliers in previous challenges and we would love to see some new faces!

As far as time advancement, please follow these guidelines:

Allow time to advance as normal except fly no more than one mission per campaign day (time advance manually as necessary)
For every promotion, advance five campaign days.
For becoming an ace, advance five campaign days

*After each mission, please advance forward to the next day to avoid flying more than one sortie per day.
At the end of the challenge, I will tabulate the winning pilot overall and declare him the Zweiest Guy Around!
There will be some small prize for winning, look here in the future for more information!

There is a good opportunity here to get your scouts painted up in a fine livery. The system looks similar to what is in WOFF with the addition of needing to make a damage skin overlay to go with it. The damage skin template is in each aircraft folder, maybe Robert or someone would be kind enough to jump on here and give a quick overview.

Here's a link to the Youtube video on WOFF skinning:

Official challenge start time is Friday, Feb 1st: whenever that starts local to you, grab some QC time in your birds and we’ll be off!

The prize for the winner will be:
a choice between:
The Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain by Stephen Bungay
With Wings Like Eagles: The Untold Story of the Battle of Britain by Michael Korda
or
Battle of Britain 1940: The Luftwaffe’s ‘Eagle Attack’ (Air Campaign) by Doug Dildy

I will update this area with pilots and scores as the challenge progresses, so you can always check here for the latest info.

List of Pilots:
Rick Rawlings

MFair
carrick58
gaw1
Dark_Canuck
Ace_Pilto
Stache
Trooper117

Strikethrough indicates a pilot's demise or permanent capture, d.n.p. = did not participate, number to the right of the pilot is the final score

Attached picture Zwei Guy Poster.png
Attached picture Enlist.jpg
Posted By: MFair

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/05/19 12:06 PM

Rick, you can count me in IF I can get my rudder problem worked out! Your challenge is always fun.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/05/19 05:55 PM

Achtung, Feindliche Kampfer. Count me in ! Ok boys put the ship back together and re paint for the Western Front. Glaus, try not to have screws and parts left over after all the parts are put back.

Attached picture Me 109 JG-54 Russia August 1941.jpg
Posted By: gaw1

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/05/19 06:26 PM

Oh, Hell yes! Nice to see you back Rick....and the Challenge....althought I can't imagine a fray I'd like less to commit to. My appalling record to date with the Luftwaffe makes me cringe for the guys who signed up during the BoB.....my chances w/ the Limeys only slightly better. I'd be astonished if there's anybody left after the first week. Count me in please!!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/05/19 11:30 PM

Yay!
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/06/19 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by MFair
Rick, you can count me in IF I can get my rudder problem worked out! Your challenge is always fun.

There is an easy solution to your rudder problem Sir. Order a set of Crosswinds and you will never have rudder problems again. The added bonus is that your shooting accuracy will surely increase, unless you just totally suck at shooting period. yep
CRSWND FTW! salute These carbon fiber color Crosswinds are the Bomb!

S!Bade<><

Attached picture CRWDS.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/06/19 04:42 PM

Blade Meister, thanks for the advice, I will look into those. At the moment, since my 5 year old Ch pedals work fine with WOFFUE, I don’t think the pedals are the problem, there is something askew with my system as posted in the technical section. As usual with thieir first rate support, OBD is on the case!
Posted By: Stache

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/06/19 04:59 PM

Hi Rick,

I am considering this. Should be fun.
I am not seeing a "Historical Weather" option in WOTR (like there is is in WOFF).

Hi Mark,

If you are looking for new pedals, I just replaced my 2 year old Saitek Pedals with Thrustmaster TPR.
I am really loving these. I always preferred resting my heal on the floor.
The precision is excellent.
Just do not look at the price...

Attached picture Thrustmaster TPR.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/06/19 06:33 PM

Stache, it may not be there, a lot of cutting and pasting thumbsup
Posted By: Dark_Canuck

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/06/19 08:22 PM

Im in. I've wanted to attempt one of your challenges ever since I discovered WOFF (in the middle of your Sopwith Challenge). Heinrich H. Heinrichson reporting for duty.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/06/19 08:32 PM

Yes!! salute

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/06/19 11:56 PM

*sigh*...forums...

Attached picture What We Got.png
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/07/19 11:01 AM

We need some decent skins for this... anyone? lol!
Posted By: Ace_Pilto

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/08/19 08:29 AM

Since Drongo won't be doing much for a while I'm keen to have a crack at this. Might even be able to put up a video or two.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/08/19 01:25 PM

Sweet! Welcome aboard!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/08/19 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Trooper117
We need some decent skins for this... anyone? lol!

Er, quoting myself here... thinking of giving this challenge a go, and I'm mentioning skins because if we are going to put up reports of Teutonic daring do, it would be nice if we had some individual skins so that we aren't looking at the same boring skin for every report or video that is produced... anyone?

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/09/19 01:47 AM

Yes, take a look at the skinning video I posted in the first thread. Everything is the same for the first skin as seen in the video. Then you have to make a second damage skin which applies a damage overlay to the first skin. Robert was kind enough to talk me through it, I just need some time to try one then I can post hopefully clear instructions. So if you want to work on a skin, just make the regular one and the damaged one is quick to add...

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/09/19 04:01 AM

Well here is my ride for the challenge;

It was kinda rough . What with not a lot of bitmaps. Not to mention my files got mixed and some corrupted by a early computer problem. But My Pilot Hans Falke is a Zwei kind of guy

Attached picture CFS3 2019-01-08 19-56-01-40.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-01-08 19-55-02-72.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-01-08 19-54-25-77.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/09/19 05:47 AM

Ok, carrick, looks great, but how did you get it in the game? What naming convention did you use? I've been working for hours trying to puzzle through this and you just up and did it! rofl

Attached picture Naming.png
Attached picture Test.png
Attached picture Seeing.png

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/09/19 06:28 AM

Ok, So it might not look like much, but this represents several hours of trying to get rid of the number and clean up the paint:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Maybe if we cry loud enough, Pol wil release one with the layers so we can avoid all the clean up... pitchafit

Anyway...so here are Robert's instructions for creating the damage skin:
In order to extract the alpha layer from the Damage2.dds file, do the following steps:

1) open it in DXTBmp program
2) In the menu select "Alpha" and in the drop down menu choose "Send Alpha to Editor".
3) when you are in the editor, save the output file as "Hurricane_Alpha.bmp"
4) you now have an alpha layer to put back into the next .dds You create.

To use the alpha layer when creating a new .dds do the following:

1) open your skin .bmp file in DXTBmp
2) in the menu choose "Alpha" and in the drop down menu choose "Import Alpha channel"
2b) you will see the alpha channel displayed in the far right side of the screen labelled "Alpha Channel" if you did it correctly
3) in the menu choose "File" and in the drop down menu choose "Save as" and select "DDS Texture"
4) In the pop up menu choose "DDS DXT1" (make sure not to choose DDS DXT1 No Alpha) and then select "Save"
5) you now have a saved .dds output file with the alpha channel added for the Damage2.dds

I have already done 1-4 for you. In this file is the clean bitmap for the main skin and the damage alpha file for the damaged skin. So just create your skin based on the video instructions, export it as a .dds in DXTBMP once and then do it again adding the alpha layer as described in 1-5 in part 2 above and it should work. For now, you will have to replace one of the existing skins (back it up first!) I have asked Robert for naming conventions if we want to add the skin rather than replace one of the default ones...

Attached picture Clean.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/10/19 01:01 AM

I just replaced the one in the game but kept a copy. I sure wish that I had Ur skills to do Clean Skins and or do complete Bit Maps. Ur my Skinning Hero.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/10/19 01:14 AM

Well, you may not wish to unless you posses the profane vocabulary I needed to unleash to get that far! banghead But now please feel free to use the template so I feel like it was worth the time! hahaha

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/11/19 04:44 AM

Ok, here is where I am at...I am going to add a personal insignia under the pilot and fuzz up the spinner a bit I think I am done until (if) I make ace...

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Zwei 1st.png

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/12/19 12:15 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm What a Sweet Ride

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/12/19 12:52 AM

I'm sure it will auger in just as well... rofl

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/12/19 02:02 PM

Hey Rick, sign me up. I'll give it a go. Might be a short trip for Karl Weber.
I have been practicing, I am finding it difficult to keep a 109 pilot on this side of Heaven's Gate.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/12/19 02:04 PM

Rick, as usual it did not take Pol long to find my problem. I’m in!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/12/19 02:44 PM

Yes, I'll give it a go as well...

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/12/19 07:51 PM

Wow, good news and a Saturday to boot!!! woot

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/17/19 12:54 AM

Okay here we go, the official ride of Steinhoff Lowenbrau II:
[Linked Image]
His father died in a tragic collision flying the Albatros scout in 1917, but he promises to carry on the flying tradition!

Attached picture Steinhoff Final.jpg
Posted By: Polovski

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/19/19 01:44 PM

Carrick can you not post files from WOTR online like that please. I appreciate you are trying to help but if it's a mod or modded file, then you can include the modded files in a zip whatever and with a readme provided to include acknowledgment of OBD Sofware and copyright, and where it came from and it's only for use with WOTR, as per the guidelines in the first 3 sections on main page of Sandbaggers Modding site http://www.thatoneplease.co/WOTR.html. Thanks.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/19/19 05:13 PM

Ok Will Do, Sorry about the screw up.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/24/19 07:03 AM

Man, I made a loooong lead up to this challenge, huh?

Here's my pilot:
Steinhoff Lowenbrau 2, son of Steinhoff Lowenbrau who was so unceremoniously collided with in the Albatros Dos challenge...
[Linked Image]

Attached picture Steinhoff 2 Enlist.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/24/19 11:19 AM

I'm sure that isn't a regulation Luftwaffe haircut... smile

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/24/19 01:42 PM

I'm sure that isn't a regulation Luftwaffe haircut... smile

When you are providing free beer to the entire Jagdgeschwader, nobody says too much...

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/24/19 03:37 PM

Haha... fair play Mein Herr!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/28/19 11:58 AM

Well, Jagdflieger Max Stadler is waiting for his first combat mission.... recently completing his flight training, he is convinced he is going to be the next ace!
More than likely he will end up as a large splash in the English Channel.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/28/19 01:34 PM

...or as I fear many of us will end up: sitting in a British field with a holed fuel tank or seized engine... Could be a short challenge! duh Welcome aboard!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/28/19 02:15 PM

Looking forward to this one Rick!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 01/31/19 01:27 AM

OK, almost go time! (finally!) If anyone wants to join in, now is the time. If you haven't already done so, everyone please be sure to run the questionnaire once in the first post so I can get all names and spellings correct, please!

For a prize to the winner, you may choose between:
The Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain by Stephen Bungay
With Wings Like Eagles: The Untold Story of the Battle of Britain by Michael Korda
or
Battle of Britain 1940: The Luftwaffe’s ‘Eagle Attack’ (Air Campaign) by Doug Dildy

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/01/19 12:48 AM

[Linked Image]

Final letter of Steinhoff Lowenbrau to Horst Biermann, photomimeographic copy

[Linked Image]
Portrait of Steinhoff Lownebrau, photomimeographic copy

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Mission 00.jpg
Attached picture miss17-1old2.jpg
Attached picture Picture Photocopy.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/01/19 01:30 PM

And away we go!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/01/19 03:26 PM

Don't you mean...

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/01/19 07:02 PM

Indeed! Let's light this candle!
[Linked Image]

Attached picture lightit.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/01/19 09:51 PM

Somebody throw me a bone here. Since London didn't pay the Ransom , we will attack.

Attached picture maxresdefault[1]  Dr Evil.jpg
Posted By: Dark_Canuck

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 01:43 AM

And we have the first death of the campaign. Heinrich Stukel died on his first mission after an engine failure over England. He crashed trying to ditch in the channel less than a Km than France.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 01:56 AM

Yikes! That was quick, but not entirely unanticipated. I will be reporting on a similar but slightly less grim mission as soon as the video renders. Feel free to run another unofficial character if you like. I feel like we all might be joining you soon anyway... frown

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 03:22 AM

Steinhoff Lowenbrau 2 Mission 1 (and almost mission last!)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Map 01.jpg
Attached picture End 01.jpg
Attached picture Mission 01.jpg
Attached picture Award 01.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 04:18 AM

Nice video Rick, you did get some good hits on him. Congratulations on your victory.

[Linked Image]

Will add some pictures tomorrow.

Attached picture mission01-01over the coast.jpg
Attached picture mission01-02Map.jpg
Attached picture mission01-03whitecliffs.jpg
Attached picture mission01-04flak.jpg
Attached picture mission01-05heavyclouds.jpg
Attached picture mission01-06landing.jpg
Attached picture KarlWeberMission1.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 04:45 AM

Nice work and write-up Stache, it's good to ease into things a bit! salute

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 05:35 AM

Steinhoff Lowenbrau 2 Mission 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture Map 02.jpg
Attached picture End 02.jpg
Attached picture Mission 02.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 05:23 PM

Lt. Hans Falke
1/JG 54.

1st Mission.

Our Flight was acting as bait to bring up the English on their side of the Channel. We were swinging to and fro amid the Flack when I got some fragments hit my a/c and a thin trial of smoke poured out. A bad Start for me.
I was able to get pass mid channel when the Motor packed up. As I started down I spotted a German E Boat so Bailed out as I flew over him. I was gaffed and pulled out like a Fish.

Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-02 08-54-20-30.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-02 08-54-43-98.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-02 08-57-05-50.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-02 09-01-15-43.jpg
Attached picture 23959276662_8e0b721dd3  E boat.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 06:55 PM

OK..........here's Hans. I'm sorry, I couldn't go back to skinning school AGAIN. Gonna try to keep up w/ you guys....

Attached picture challenge.PNG

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 07:21 PM

OK.......first mission.....bagged a couple Hurri's but must have caught a stray in the radiator.......bailed out over Dover trying for home....rescued and in hospital for a couple weeks. Rick....sort of screws up the 1 day advance thing? Just carry on? Will pause for pix when I catch my breath. Thx....gaw1

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 07:40 PM

Karl Weber did not survive his second mission. A support flight over Dover. With heavy overcast the action was down low.
Karl got to low and to slow and was shot up by a couple Hurricanes.
RIP.
I'll start an unofficial replacement tomorrow and see how it goes.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 08:05 PM

Oh NOOO!!! Stache has been one of the permanent stalwarts. I'll go down soon I'm sure....but meantime, 2nd mission....bagged 1 spit (yes it was already maimed and I finished it off....not proud but I'll take it)....noticed a 99% on the cooling system and headed home but had to bail out again close to home. The sim saw me rescued (again). Love the way this challenge puts an edge on things....very cool.

Attached picture engine toast.jpg
Attached picture bailed.jpg
Attached picture home so close.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/02/19 08:38 PM

Yes, perhaps too edgy! A lot of near misses and deaths already! Sorry to hear you're down, Stache, but please continue with #2...
rofl
*edit* also, gaw, those 9Kb images are quite the thing! Do you have the bigger versions, by any chance?

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 12:26 AM

Steinhoff Lowenbrau 2 Mission 3

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture End 03.jpg
Attached picture Map 03.jpg
Attached picture Mission 03.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 12:31 AM

Ok, Lets get this rodeo underway!

L. Rudolf Grebbs
August 15

Today we are to make an offensive patrol over southern England. We flew around for a while and wondered where the Brits were! There was no contact and all made it home safe.

August 17th

Today we are to attack a military base. Flew through a lot of flak and attacked the target. i saved a few rounds for the return trip but as it turned out I should have left them in England. Again, no contact with the famous Spitfire.

August 17th
Mission 3

Escort bombers to Harwich. Well the Brits finally showed up! We had a heavy engagement. I got behind one Spitfire and sent him down trailing smoke. Climbed back to altitude and found another of my flight and headed home. It seems the Brits took their toll today as we have 1 killed and 1 missing I put in my claim for a Spit but since I didn't see it crash and no one else did either it was denied.

Stash, hate to hear your man is out so early! It can happen to anyone at anytime.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 02:00 AM

MFair, welcome to the show! I think those "empty" missions might be the ones that save any of us that survive!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 03:15 PM

Rick, you are correct, never gripe about getting another day to live!

Lt. Rudolf Grebbs
Mission 4

Another escort mission to bomb military installations at Walton. Other than a lot of flak it was a walk in the park.

Why does it seem things are going to change from these relatively easy mission?

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 06:12 PM

"Empty Missions"......OK...#3 a milk run....patrol our own airfields....no harm, no foul. I've NEVER encountered a bandit on these missions.....I'm a bit hazy on my history but perhaps the Brits never ventured south at this stage of the game? I'm not complaining...my first 2 I had to ditch both times...bagged a few EA but should probably dial it back a bit if I want to survive. Good luck all..............

Attached picture thumbnail.png

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 07:33 PM

I believe they stayed in their home field exclusively at this time?

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 07:40 PM

Steinhoff Lownenbrau 2 Mission 4

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture Map 04.jpg
Attached picture End 04.jpg
Attached picture Mission 04.jpg
Attached picture Sad 04.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 07:47 PM

Well.................I'm toast. Dipped down to crush a squadron of Hurris taking off, it was irresistable, and paid the price. Should have paid attention to that angel that said kept whispering in my ear... "stay up high....never have fun". But for whatever it's worth...hosing a stream of ammo along the take-off path and seeing the bad chaps, one after another crash may have been worth it. Lesson here....lost my focus and played a game instead of the Challenge! So.....don't #%&*$# up you guys!!! Good Luck!!! Rick.....with infinite regret....cross a line thru my name. Thx......LETS DO IT AGAIN!!!

Attached picture thumbnail.png

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 08:20 PM

Gaw, that hurt! Yep, take chances and you die. What was it that took you out? Groundfire?

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 09:55 PM

Yes..........MG/Flak...don't know...was hoping I could soar away having served the Brits a bit of what for...and then...a hell of whallop and all the guages went south....engine packed it in....but I didn't "escape" this time after bailing out....got what I deserved. So....be dull, be cautious, be careful....live to fight another day. Cheers...gaw1

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 10:38 PM

(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 15 August 1940

Attack mission, on the Fairlight Installation Chain Home (Low)
Two Schwarm's will carry out the operation...

Schwarn Eins will provide high cover
Schwarm Zwei will mount the main attack

Note: Main target building is small and in the open... (see Int photo below). Expect small arms and light flak defences.

[Linked Image]

Take off 1500hrs, distance to target 125 km.
Time to target, 20 mins. Weather over target: expect partial cloud.
Approach altitude to enemy coastline 4700m.

------------------------------------------------------------------

MAX STADLER, DIARY RECORD.

I could not sleep much last night... Today is my first combat mission with the Staffel. To say I am excited would be an understatement!
The old hands have made us, the new pilots welcome over the last few days and have gone out of their way to provide us with as much of their experience and knowledge, plus
orientation and combat training flights as we could handle.

Yes, excitement and perhaps an acknowledgement of an increase of the usual butterflies that one feels before taking a step into an unknown scenario.
But to be honest, they disappeared as soon as my aircrafts engine roared into life as the Staffel prepared to take off, and then all my concentration was focused on managing my Emil!

[Linked Image]

My Schwarm Leader, Hauptgefreiter Grueneberg, warned me to stay vigilant from the moment I took off, to the moment I came into land, as the Tommies will know we are coming.
He had no need to worry, as my eyes were everywhere I can assure you.

The first thing I noticed was that we did not approach from 4700m as our orders stated, but as we approached England we were only at 2900m as the coastline came into view.

[Linked Image]

I don't think anything could have prepared me for the amount of flak that the Tommies put up as we crossed over the coast... the noise could be heard over my engine,
and I could feel it too, whenever a close one jostled little Emil around like a childs toy... I'm not scared to say I was 'a little worried'...

[Linked Image]

Grueneberg led us inland and westward, but keeping the coast to our left at all times... I then realised that Zeuch wasn't with us, and that he must have been hit.
But more worryingly, the enemy flak was simply following our Schwarm as we progressed towards our target at Fairlight... and our leader was only cruising at 2000m at less than 300 km/h.
I remember thinking that this was madness, but Grueneberg must know what he is doing, surely?

There was a flash to my right, and I was horrified to see Rehwald's aircraft belch fire and smoke, then turn over and it went straight down, but I did see him bail out, thank god.
After that it was just grit my teeth, hold it together and pray the same thing didn't happen to me, as the flak had intensified as we passed by Hawkinge airfield...

[Linked Image]

At last Fairlight station came into view, and the Hauptgefreiter went full power and we all screamed down after him, thankful that we were at combat speed...
We made three attacks on the station, and each time the Englander AA was forever present, looking for another victim... it is safe to say I was sweating, and scared.
Somehow, no one was hit, but I know for sure I hit the target building with my cannons on at least one of our attacks.

[Linked Image]

At full power we raced away, out to sea... but we weren't safe yet.
Where was the Royal Air Force?... after all the flak they put up, plus we passed close by at least two of their airfields, we were pretty sure they would attempt an intercept as we made our way back across the 'Canal'.

At any second I was expecting someone to shout out 'INDIANER', and I was looking constanly behind and above so much that my neck was aching... yet, nothing!

I can say, that I was never more relieved to see friendly shores again, and that touching down and taxying in at our home field, watching our Kameraden gliding in to land was a joyful and emotional moment.
I had survived my first real test over enemy lines, but was aware that others had not been so lucky...

[Linked Image]

On debrief, I sat in a bit of a daze, listening to the others, only then realising that men were lost, and this experience was going to happen to me again and again.
I was informed by Grueneberg that I had done 'ok' but had fell out of formation a couple of times and that it was never to happen again.

Later, we had a 'congratulations' from higher formation on our attack... we had severely damaged the station, but at a cost.
Our Schwarm had lost two aircraft... Zeuch had bailed out over the sea and was missing. Even though I had seen him bail, Rehwald had been killed in action according to a despatch from the British.

Schwarm Eins had lost their Flight Leader, Oberleutnant Haehnike... bailed out, missing.

I suppose I should be writing that I am elated, but somehow I can't be bothered, I'm tired, exhausted even, but the old hands told me it's normal, I'll get used to it, but more importantly, as I have completed my first combat, I have to report to the bar and buy them all a very large drink... Hals und beinbruch!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/03/19 10:50 PM

Lt. Hans Falke
1/JG 54

Mission 2. Coastal Patrol. No air contact, but missing 2 a/c upon return listed as missing/ Destroyed.

Mission 3. Escort. Fighter contact I couldnt get in a good position as I dove they would turn so I went high to re- peat and lost them. Another 109 went done in the Channel, I spotted him with smoke trailing joined up then his motor stopped and in the drink he went called Base to pass along ditching information. Then RTB

Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-03 14-19-00-12.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-03 14-31-46-55.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-03 14-36-56-51.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-03 14-36-53-13.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/04/19 01:54 AM

Lt. Hans Falke
1/JG 54

Mission 4.

What a waste. My Kette of 4 a/c was to target cover / Ground attacker's for 4 He 111's bombing some kind of tall towers at the limit of our range. Over the Area we circled at 18000 as the He 111's came in. I was Bingo on fuel so headed back on less power ,but slanting down to maintain speed. I did notice 3 e/a low going inland,but low on fuel I kept headed for France. I landed at the 1st AF as I was down to 18 % Fuel. The other 3 a/c never came back. Fuel ? Flack ? E/a ?.

Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-03 17-42-15-47.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/04/19 04:15 AM

gaw1, sorry you're out, I'm sure I will be soon, I keep getting dumb luck it should run out soon!

Trooper117 awesome report! Nothing more to say, you said it all!

carrick, keep up the good work!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/04/19 09:30 PM

LT Hans Falke
1/JG 54

Mission 5 was cancelled due to lack of a/c My Saffel only has 3 machines so was held in reserve.

Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-04 13-25-53-64.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/04/19 10:05 PM

Rick, Congrates on the victory. It was, as you say, costly!
Trooper, very nice story and some fine screen shots!
Carrick, good to see you have survived.

Lt. Rudolf Grebbs.
Mission 5
Escort some Bombers to day. One heck of a fight. Planes twisting and turning all over. I got hits on two of them but nothing conclusive so did not bother with any claims. Our flight claimed 2 but we lost one of ours also.

Mission 6
Escort some JU88's to bomb factories at Dover.Another barn burner! Dove on some Spitfires intent on the bombers. One short burst and I blew his left wing off! The fight broke up fast after that and on the way home came upon a lone Spit trying to sneak up on 2 of ours. He never saw me coming and I sent him down in a trail of smoke. Both kills confirmed and they even gave me a medal to boot!

Thats it for me this week Gents. Having fun and keep the stories coming.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/04/19 11:58 PM

Steinhoff Lowenbrau 2 Mission 5

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Map 05.jpg
Attached picture Mission 05.jpg
Attached picture End 05.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/05/19 11:04 AM

Good stuff Lowenbrau!

Normal evasive procedure when attacked from behind by British fighters... push nose down, full power, get separation and then rapid change of direction.
Tommies can't follow you because their fighters don't have direct fuel injection, their engine will cut out for a few moments, giving you time to get away... (hoping this is modelled in game)

As to escape and evasion... I'm sure this game mechanic is set on WoFF lines, where in WWI, getting back across no mans land and back to your unit within 3 days 'may' have been a possibility.
But this just isn't right for a BoB scenario in my view... Unless of course your name in Von Werra! (but that's another story)... yep

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/05/19 03:17 PM

Agree on all points!
Good stuff Lowenbrau!

Normal evasive procedure when attacked from behind by British fighters... push nose down, full power, get separation and then rapid change of direction.
Tommies can't follow you because their fighters don't have direct fuel injection, their engine will cut out for a few moments, giving you time to get away... (hoping this is modelled in game)

As near as I can remember, it is modeled at least somewhat for the player, not sure what the AI pilot experiences...

As to escape and evasion... I'm sure this game mechanic is set on WoFF lines, where in WWI, getting back across no mans land and back to your unit within 3 days 'may' have been a possibility.
But this just isn't right for a BoB scenario in my view... Unless of course your name in Von Werra! (but that's another story)... yep

I figured that too, so I tried to work it in with my backstory. It's also a bit of a callback to Olham's "Trains Across The Lines" in WOFF... rofl

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/05/19 05:32 PM

MFair: I wont last much longer without more wing mates. Flying over England with only 2 or 3 a/c is a Death wish.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/05/19 06:06 PM

LT Hans Falke
1/JG 54

Mission 6

Offensive Patrol : Departed with 5 a/c to lure the English up. The only thing that came up was Flack hot and Heavy. Returned with 4 a/c. What is Hq thinking when planing these missions?

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/06/19 12:19 AM

LT Hans Falke
1/JG 54

Mission 7

Factory Attack at Folkestone: Our 3 a/c were sent to make a Jabo attack , with our cannons and Mg's , on the English Buildings, ( I think maybe sending Stukas would have been better ) Anyway, we went in at 8000 ft and got jumped by Spitfires. I got off a few shells then had 2 Fighters on my tail and took numerous hits I did a haft roll nosing down and headed for France. Gaining the Coast the Motor spitted and sputtered losing power. My Emile glides like a Stone so I Bailed out and landed near a town.

Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-05 15-52-13-16.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-05 15-51-48-88.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-05 15-52-24-26.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-05 15-56-50-91.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-05 15-57-41-03.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-05 16-02-54-35.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/06/19 01:32 AM

Carrick, you’re having a rough time Bud, hang on.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/06/19 02:24 AM

Spitfires! Curse their sexiness!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/06/19 05:05 PM

LT Hans Falke
1/JG 54

Mission 8:

Same routine Spearhead the formations Over Margate then Jabo Attack the factories ( foolishness, we need to control the air ) My kette of 4 a/c followed the orders over target . we dove on our firing runs amid Flack after the bombers hit. I made 1 Run firing a long burst from max height then Ran for France. I was the only one to come back. My fellow pilots appeared to have made numerous runs and hung over the killing zone. Perhaps too long.

Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-06 08-40-19-17.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/06/19 07:18 PM

Stay alive carrick! But don't get too far out in front of us, we are only supposed to be doing six per week! thumbsup

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/07/19 12:14 AM

Ops, Ok I will watch it.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/07/19 12:46 AM

No problem, excellent screenshot, by the way!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/08/19 12:53 AM

Steinhoff Lowenbrau 2 Mission 6

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Map 06.jpg
Attached picture End 06-1.jpg
Attached picture Mission 06.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/08/19 02:02 PM

As we finish week one, please take the survey to give an update of where everyone is!
Pilot Questionnaire

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/08/19 04:01 PM

Rick, that was one tough Hurricane! I have sent in my questionnaire. Here is to all that survived the first week and a toast to the fallen.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/08/19 06:53 PM

Only had time to get my first mission in, but will try to do a couple tonight smile

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/09/19 09:28 PM

(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 16 August 1940

Offensive Patrol, on the Whitstable Installation Chain Home (Low)

The Staffel will provide cover for bombers proceeding to, and over the target...

Take off 1400hrs, distance to target 90 km.
Time to target, 14 mins. Weather over target: expect scattered cloud.
Approach altitude to enemy coastline 4700m.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I slept the sleep of the dead after yesterdays eventful day... Our patrol this afternoon took the Staffel deeper into Englander territory.
Once again our forces tried to knock out a radar station, this time at Whitstable.
At breakfast we were informed that Rewald's replacement should arrive sometime over the next four days... Poor Rewald, here one minute, gone the next.
As for Haehnicke, nothing yet, but he has been marked as presumed dead or if he is lucky, a prisoner of the Tommies.

Not sure what has happened to Grueneberg, as I have a new Schwarm Leader, Leutnant Piller. He is all smiles and full of ''Let's get Tommy'... I like him a lot!
I was getting the 'butterflies' again as after our briefing we were going straight out, so it was a quick talk by Piller to confirm we all understood what was required of us, and then to the aircraft dispersal point.
Little Emil was waiting for me, as was 'Uncle Rolf' our Chief of the 'Black Men'....
''Hey Junger... bring her back in one piece!'' he said with a growl, then gave me a grin and a slap on the back... ''Let's get to it then''

[Linked Image]

As before, once I had climbed in and we went through the engine start routine, any worries I had were quickly forgotten, as all checks done, we waited for the signal to take off...

Formed up and climbing out we soon found ourselves over the 'Canal', and all too soon the enemy coast was ahead... I remember watching the Schwarm ahead cross the coastline, no flak came up to greet them...
'This will be easier than yesterday', I thought to myself...

[Linked Image]

A few seconds later... How wrong I was!

[Linked Image]

Compared to yesterday the flak eventually petered out, and I sat there expecting next to see the Hurricanes or Spitfires of the English, but again nothing... we carried out our patrol as ordered.
Didn't even see our own bombers, in fact they never turned up. We simply flew our route, looked for our bomber force, got some attention from the flak gunners and then returned to our airfield.

Our return to the airfield was uneventful, in fact, if it were not for the enemy flak defences, it all seemed like a training flight.
As I completed my landing drill, gear and flaps down, airfield in sight, I still could not help thinking ''Where are the RAF''...

[Linked Image]

Still, I thought, as I made final preparations to land, perhaps we should be extremely thankful... this time we all came home!

[Linked Image]

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/09/19 09:31 PM

Yes they will!

Here's Week 1's results:
[Linked Image]

Attached picture Week 1.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/09/19 10:05 PM

Steinhoff Lowenbrau 2
Mission 07
September 15, 1940

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture Map 07.jpg
Attached picture Medal 06.jpg
Attached picture Mission 07.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/09/19 10:11 PM

Good stories all.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/10/19 12:12 AM

(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 20 August 1940

Coastal Patrol,Calais - Boulogne Sur Mer area.

Schwarm Zwie allocated mission task...

Take off 1500hrs,
Weather partial cloud.
Patrol altitude 5000m
--------------------------------------------------------------

The Staffel has been stood down from operations for two days... a much needed 48 hour rest for the old hands as they have been on continuous operations since May.
I thought I might have been able to take time to visit Paris with some of the others, but guess who has been given 'Duty Officer' as they are only recently arrived?... Yes me!

So, the rest of the boys have returned from their adventures with thick heads, tired bodies and empty wallets... only to find they will be on the next patrol!
Luckily for them it will be a short one, with a quick look around the coast to try and spot any intruders, as Schnellboots in the Channel had reported low flying twin engined jobs heading inland this morning.

As it turned out, the patrol spotted nothing... probably due to the fact that most were nursing sore heads (even Leutnant Piller, who looked very green around the gills before take off)...
He did mention though, despite our obvious condition, our flying and holding formation were excellent today)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/10/19 12:56 AM

He did mention though, despite our obvious condition, our flying and holding formation were excellent today)

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Suck.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/10/19 02:09 PM

Yep, good stories.

FWIW: Karl Weber II - learned a little bit from his older brother but not enough.
On his third mission he managed three downed enemy aircraft.
On his fourth he got another and then, trying to limp home, was caught from behind by a lone Spitfire just off the English Coast.

Good luck to all in the challenge.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/10/19 07:38 PM

(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 22 August 1940

Escort...Two Schwarm's will carry out the operation...
Schwarm Zwei will provide close escort for IKG 55 who will bomb the aircraft factory at Felixstowe.

Take off 0600hrs, distance to target 122 km.
Time to target, 38 mins. Weather over target: expect broken cloud.
Rendez altitude 2100m.
Route to target altitude, bomber dependent.

Today is the day. Today I feel sure we will bring up the Tommies... Our escort for the Heinkel's of KG 55 on the aircraft factory attack is bound to be intercepted.
I have a new Schwarm Leader... Piller has taken over Schwarm Eins, and we have Stabsgefreiter Burkart Auler, he seems a good type.

We were to rendezvous with the bombers as they approach our airfield, but after taking off and climbing to the RV altitude, we were having 'fun' trying to locate them in the clouds.
As radio silence was imposed, it would be a purely visual exercise to be sure.

[Linked Image]

Burkart Auler must have the eyes of an eagle... he soon located the He III's, (five in all) and we were soon closing in on them.
Frantic waves from their crews could be seen, as they were obviously very glad to have us along.

[Linked Image]

As we passed between Canterbury and Margate we were still being followed by the ever present flak. By that stage we had already lost one of the bombers...

[Linked Image]

Suddenly Burkart Auler yelled ''Contacts 12 oclock level, closing fast''... five small dots rapidly got larger, and we started to climb not a second too soon.
At first I thought they were twin engines Blenheim's, but a 110 Zerstörer leading four Ju 88's screamed past... it seemed they were so close I could reach out and touch them.
We all felt their slipstreams as they rocketed past.
''Bloody idioten'' I thought aloud, what were they doing?...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We crossed into open sea again and made our approach to Felixstowe, as we neared the coastline again, Rosenfeld shouted ''INDIANER two oclock high'' .
We all as one turned and climbed to the right, and I heard Rosenfeld once more shouting for help and I closed in on the enemy aircraft that was homing in on him.
I soon identified it as a Spitfire and gave it a burst and it broke away from Rosenfeld who then reported he was heading for home!

[Linked Image]

Before I knew what was happening, I felt a thump and simultaneously I pushed the nose of my Little Emil straight down before I even knew I had done it!
It was a pure reflex action to avoid being hit again... I had been 'bounced'
Rapidly changing direction to avoid being hit again (in case the enemy had stayed with me) I applied full power to try and gain separation from my pursuer, but it was obvious very quickly I was loosing power.
I headed back out to sea and homeward... I searched the sky all around, but strangely I was all alone, nothing to be seen anywhere. A few minutes later and thinking I was in the clear, my engine just stopped!

[Linked Image]

I had about 1500m of height left... I kept Little Emil just above stalling speed, still gliding out to sea.
I knew I would never make it to friendly skies, and I knew I would not make the English coast... at 600m I knew there was only one course of action left.
Time to get out...

[Linked Image]

I remember lots of noise suddenly receding as the plane seemed to fall away from me... I felt for the parachute release handle, left of the main harness buckle. and then, a sudden deceleration and yank in the leg straps... and silence!
I was in one piece!... I looked down below me to see Little Emil strike the water with a huge splash, and then she was gone!
My next worry was a rapidly approaching body of water. My drills kicked in... turn the snap lock on the harness buckle, as the sea got closer, feet and knees together, cross both arms and grab the front lift webbs of the parachute and tuck the chin in... as my feet made contact I punched the harness buckle to release the harness and raise my arms straight up... the parachute harness came straight off and I continued down, but away from the parachute.
I waited until I had stopped sinking and then swam up and away from the parachute until my head broke the surface.
Made it!

I'll say this... the next seven hours were the coldest I have ever been in my life. When I heard the noise of an aircraft I had already made the firm decision that I didn't care whose side it was on, I would use the flares and the dye to try and get it's attention, but when it came, there was no mistaking the drone of that wonderful 'Auntie Ju'... I was yelling and crying as it touched down and made it's way towards me.
A crewman threw me a line and dragged me closer and then it was willing hands pulling me on board. I don't remember much more, as I was dried off, wrapped up in blankets and given some very hot coffee laced with rum.
I will be forever thankful to those men who had saved me.

[Linked Image]

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/10/19 07:47 PM

Seems like close ones are all we get, Trooper! Great report!

Steinhoff Lowenbrau 2
Mission 8

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture Map 08.jpg
Attached picture End 08-1.jpg
Attached picture End 08-2.jpg
Attached picture Mission 08.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/10/19 10:50 PM

That was a busy old mission Rick!
I noticed during the engagements you were at 2500 rpm quite a lot, and once or twice past that!
2500 rpm should only be held for around 1 minute in boosted mode.
It's also very easy to go over the set limits when you are in the middle of a fight for survival and you are managing several things at once.

Your coolant temp stayed ok, but your oil temp went well over 105 degrees and right to the end of the gauge, so I think that is what did you in... plus you took some gunfire damage.

It's good seeing all these reports... it seems a lottery as to whether people come back or not, as I guess it would have been for real smile

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/10/19 10:51 PM

LT Hans Falke
1/JG 54

Mission 9.

Not enough a/c or pilots for assignment. However we get started on putting one together in the hanger

Attached picture 109view.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/10/19 10:52 PM

lol!... that's what I call major battle damage...

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/10/19 11:26 PM

A little gaffer's tape will fix that right up, carrick!

That's probably it, Trooper, I wish I had a better idea of what I was supposed to be doing, just keep practicing, I guess! thumbsup

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/11/19 11:44 PM

Lt. Hans Falke
1/JG 54

The Gruppe's ground personnel found a few more Barely damaged, slightly used machines. With some paint and Duck Tape , The riggers will have some ready. for mission 10.

Attached picture aircraft-wreck-battle-of-britain-6.jpg
Attached picture Me109Crash3.jpg
Attached picture me109      JG 54.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/12/19 12:43 AM

Steinhoff Lowenbrau 2
Mission 9
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is the shot that says it all:
[Linked Image]
Usually, I'm the guy in the British plane doing the ramming, so a nice bit of symmetry there! rofl

Interestingly, he died just like his father!

Good luck to everyone still in!

Attached picture Map 09.jpg
Attached picture End 09-1.jpg
Attached picture End 09-2.jpg
Attached picture Mission 09.jpg
Attached picture vlcsnap-2019-02-10-16h08m29s160.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/12/19 11:20 AM

Bad luck mate!... just nothing much you could do about that one frown

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/12/19 12:42 PM

OH NOOOOOOO! But what a screenie! I'm never that fast on the K to grab THAT moment.....

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/12/19 01:37 PM

Thanks, guys! gaw1, I'm not that fast either, it's a still from the video capture! thumbsup

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/12/19 05:10 PM

AHA.......gotta learn how to do that. Best I manage is a bit of debris after the fact....too busy avoiding a collision and jinking sideways to avoid the next bad chap

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/12/19 05:11 PM

No Wat, What a way to go still the screen shot is spectacular

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/13/19 01:54 AM

Rick, say it ain’t so! Where are we going to get out beer.....I mean, bad luck old man. Such a good start too.

Trooper, excellent report Sir!

Carrick, if you can’t fly, you can’t die. There may be something to that.

I will catch up tomorrow

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/13/19 08:41 PM

Lt. Rudolf Grebbs
Mission 7
Escort Ju88's to bomb military instalation at Bromley. All went well to the target except for the constant flak. the bombers were jumped by Hurricanes over the target. I rolled in behind one that was intent on shooting down a JU and I unloaded my whole supply of cannon and machine guns into him and sent him down smoking. Returned to base and put in my claim which was confirmed. They even gave me another medal!

Mission 8
Patrol our own fields at Douai. A day in the park!

Mission 9
Escort bombers to Eastchurch. We tangled with a flight of Hurricanes over the target. I had a near collision with one and scored a lucky hit another as he turned over and went straight down. Our squad claimed 2 more.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/14/19 01:28 AM

Maj, Hans Falke
1/JG54

Mission 10. We had 4 109's up and somewhere over Dover we ran into Spitfires I got one then lost everyone in a cloud bank. I was the only a/c to return. Imagine my surprise over the news awaiting me.

https://youtu.be/3KZ3WUL7KS8

Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-13 16-36-25-34.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-13 16-39-02-82.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-13 16-40-28-77.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-13 16-41-11-17.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-13 16-41-32-56.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-13 16-42-14-95.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/14/19 01:50 AM

"It's not how many times you get killed, Mr. Wayne, it's how many times you rise yourself back up from the dead."

good reports, you guys! Hang in there!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/14/19 03:45 PM

(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 24 August 1940

Escort...The entire Staffel will carry out the operation...
Schwarm Zwei will provide close escort for IKG 55 who will bomb Hawkinge airfield.

Take off 1400hrs, distance to target 67 km.
Time to target, 10 mins. Weather over target: expect broken cloud.
Rendez altitude 3000m.
Route to target altitude, 4500m.

After being fished out of the Canal, I was taken to hospital and was allowed to rest for 24hrs... Much needed and I slept like a log.
After getting the all clear from the chief medical officer, I was told that a car had been sent for me from Guines.

Rosenfeld had come to fetch me in person... he smiled and shook my hand warmly.

''If it wasn't for you Max I'd have been done for, I can't thank you enough for shaking that Tommy off my tail''

His smile was then replaced by a grim expression. He went on to tell me that he was the only one from our Schwarm that had made it back.

''Burkart Auler, Krueger, and Dunkel, all gone, presumed dead''...

''I thought you had had it too. But yesterday afternoon we had a message that you had been picked up and that you were safe, here in the hospital''

I couldn't take it in, they were gone... But then he said there was a maximum effort on this afternoon, and as I had been cleared for flying again I was 'on the board'.

One good bit of news was that Piller had been assigned to our new Schwarm again... I was glad to see him as we needed a pilot with his experience to lead us.
On the briefing before we left, I noticed that there were only nine pilots left fit for operations.
Schwarm Eins had three pilots assigned, but we had six as we were close escort.

On the way to our aircraft, Piller shouted ...''Come on boys, time to make those Tommies pay up!''
With a wave and a rude gesture he ran to his 109...

As we RV'd with the bombers, I remember thinking, ''we are really going to give it to them this time''... there were several waves of bombers all heading for England, with twin engined 110's above them, all bound for that airfield.
They better have their funny tin hats on, this is going to upset their day...

[Linked Image]

As we crossed the coastline and headed for Hawkinge, as usual, we were met by flak, shortly afterwards I looked to my left and pressed my RT button... ''Enemy fighters... 10 oclock level''
No flak near them I thought... got to be the enemy!

Piller's calm voice came back, instructing myself and Rosenfeld to stick with the bombers at all costs...

[Linked Image]

I didn't like the orders, but obeyed them...
I watched what was left of our Staffel turn into the enemy formation, then, as we followed the bombers on their run in to target, the 110's peeled off and dove down like a pack of Stuka's to the airfield.
I listened to the radio transmissions, at one point hearing Piller say he was engaging... others saying they were in trouble or heading home.

I followed the bombers as ordered, but when the French coastline came into view and the first bombers passed the coast, I had already decided I was going back.
I checked around for Rosenfeld, but he wasn't there... Had he been shot down? Or had he decided that he was going back as well?
No time to worry about it, so I went to full combat power and headed back...

It didn't take long, soon the angry flak could be seen all around the coast and inland around Hawkinge.
As I neared the airfield I saw a Spitfire at low level, he had not seen me for sure, but as I closed in the pilot bailed out as another 109 screamed past him...
I then noticed the rest of my flight at low level heading back out to sea, so I joined them and made my way back to friendly skies, happy to see that at least four had made it back.

It was then I realised... ''Where was Piller?''

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/15/19 01:46 PM

Good job keeping the goal in mind, Trooper! Did you lose any bombers?

Everybody remember to fill in the form for the end of another week!

Pilot Questionnaire

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/15/19 02:17 PM

Yes Rick, I decided to stay with the bombers as that was the mission, so I put that into the 'story'...
The bombers reached the French coast without loss (surprisingly)... so I turned back as I could still hear the RT, and the flak was still around Hawkinge area. so the Staffel and the 110's were still active.
Typical though, as I joined the party and latched onto the Spitfire, I was amazed to see a chute appear... another 109 had got it!
Then they all legged it back and I went with them...
Not sure how long this luck will last, but it's good fun all the same biggrin

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/16/19 03:33 PM

Lt. Rudolf Grubbs
Mission 10
Escort to Rockford. Hit by swarms of Spits and Hurricanes! I stayed on the defensive the whole fight. I finally dove into the clouds and headed to France. Half way across the channel my engine started to loose power and had to bail. Picked up by a patrol boat and back to the squad.
One of my claims has been confirmed! Now to dry off and warm up.

Mission 11
Combat patrol over Rochford again. Did commanders see our losses from yesterday? As soon as we were in the target area we were overwhelmed again. I got mu butt handed to me on a plate! Had to hit the silk over England. Floating down I could see a group of angry farmers with pitchforks. It seems my 109 had destroyed their chicken coop with all of their chickens. Lucky for me the were civilized folk and turned me over to the local military where I spent the last of the war in prison!

This has a been a blast Rick! Cudo’s for putting this on. Any more in the works?
Stay save survivors!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/16/19 05:20 PM

Bad luck mate... frown

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/16/19 08:24 PM

Well, at least you survived, MFair! And we have confirmation that it is possible to be "permanently" captured... little consolation as it may be!

I doubt I'll do another one as I really didn't have time for this one... I'm supposed to be doing oh, well, ten thousand other things! rofl

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/16/19 09:26 PM

Thanks trooper. It was bound to happen. Hope you last!

Rick, not really. Kind of weird and you can score this however. When I went to debrief it said I “bailed out over enemy territory and was pretty shaken up.” Giving a sigh of relief that I was ok when I went to do mission 11 it said my pilot was deceased. So I don’t know. Either way he is done for the war.

Thanks for this one bud, hope you get a break soon!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/16/19 09:49 PM

Staying on mission has ever been my problem.....guess I lack the team spirit to hover over the bombers the way I'm supposed to. Show me a bad guy and I'm ravished away by the "your victory has been confirmed" banner. Which is no doubt why I succumbed to bad luck/bad choices early here. Good on you cooler heads.....carry on!!! Rick....sorry to hear no more but it's been great fun participating....as close to multi player as we can come I expect. Thank you!!!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/18/19 04:39 PM

MFair sorry about U will be spending time in the English Summer Camp. Staffel readiness is at 1 machine so looks like no flights this week. On the bright side , this is the 1st Challenge that I will make it ( I hope ) thru. Albeit due to No a/c.

Gawd1. Thats been my problem too, U C a perfect bounce every time

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/18/19 07:26 PM

So here's the results going into week three:

[Linked Image]

Not looking so good for the axis!

Stay frosty!

Attached picture Week 2.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/18/19 10:54 PM

(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 25 August 1940

Offensive Patrol... Lympne satellite airfield. Provide cover for attacking bomber force
The entire Staffel will carry out the operation...
Schwarm Zwei is to engage with any RAF fighter force

Take off 0900hrs, distance to target 87 km.
Time to target, 14 mins. Weather over target: expect broken cloud.
Route to target altitude, 4700m.

MAX STADLER DIARY ENTRY.

The war goes on... more faces missing in the mess.
We learnt that Piller had been killed yesterday. I thought, if someone like him can get it... then we are all living on borrowed time.

Another change in our order of battle today. My good friend Rosenfeld has been moved to Schwarm Eins.
That means that all the members of my Schwarm are more or less strangers to me.
I even have new arrivals asking 'me' about what it's like over 'there' and ''are our tactics working?''...

''Oh yes, of course... being tied to the bomber force was a great idea'' I'd say... I'm not sure if they understood the sarcasm.

Still, this life has started to become the norm for me I think. Today was another large strike on an RAF airfield.
Nine Emils is again all we could muster (plus three more in workshops).
We are being led by my new flight leader, Hauptgefreiter Camphausen... I looked at him and wondered how long will he last?... He gave us the usual pep talk and we were off.

The flight over the Canal is becoming routine now. The flak was just as intense as usual, but I remember thinking as I glanced out of my other side of the cockpit, just how quiet it was over Dover way...
I could even see the English radar masts as we passed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More flak followed us to the target area... I saw the bombers below release their bombs as they flew over, and it really did look like this time they had done a good job!
Then someone reported enemy fighters, and very quickly the madness started again. Very soon there were the usual shouts and warnings...

''I'm attacking now'' from Camphausen... then a little later, ''I'm hit, heading home''...

''I've got him'' from Rosenfeld, all excited and full of the excitement of the chase.

I soon latched onto a Hurricane, overshot him before I could get him in my sights... ''#%&*$#'' I shouted at myself, and now he knows I'm on him.
I climbed at full power, turned over and came down at him again... it was a fleeting shot, but I hit him as he seemed to be suspended in mid air... next thing, the pilot bailed out!
My first kill!!!

[Linked Image]

He bailed out right above the airfield at Lympne... I was so excited I dived through the cloud, and flew flat out, low over the airfield, hoping to shoot up another Tommy aircraft parked up on the field,
But the bombers had done a thorough job, it was completely blasted...

[Linked Image]

I just decided to go all out for the coast at low level, because now the Tommies were throwing their sink and everything else they could find at me as I shot over the airfield...
I kept checking behind and above, expecting an attack at any second, but I made the coast, still pursued by the flak, but no fighters appeared and I made a safe return to Guines...

[Linked Image]

During the debrief after my return, Rosenfeld found me to tell me he had got a Hurricane... ''Me too'' I yelled... we were like a couple of school boys.
But our enthusiasm was short lived, for our IO informed us that our Schwarm Leader had not returned.

''He was returning and his aircraft caught fire, it was reported it just exploded above the sea, there's no hope I'm afraid''... and the war goes on.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/18/19 11:49 PM

Good job, Trooper! I was not liking how low the flight leader took you on the approach though. Did you think he was going to land in England? rofl

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/20/19 03:17 PM

Hans Falke
Maj.
1/JG 54

Our 3 rd 109 came up from Maintenance/ a/c Pool. so our Staffel was cancelled out of Mission for Fighter Trolling for Bombers 25 Aug 1940.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/20/19 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by carrick58
Hans Falke
Maj.
1/JG 54

Our 3 rd 109 came up from Maintenance/ a/c Pool. so our Staffel was cancelled out of Mission for Fighter Trolling for Bombers 25 Aug 1940.

Always look on the bright side of life! cheers

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/21/19 10:30 PM

(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 27 August 1940

Offensive Patrol... Lympne satellite airfield. Provide cover for attacking bomber force (Ju 88's of I KG 54)
The entire Staffel will carry out the operation...

Take off 0900hrs, distance to target 80 km.
Time to target, 14 mins. Weather over target: expect heavy cloud.
Route to target altitude, 4000m.

MAX STADLER DIARY ENTRY.

We are to hit Lympne airfield again this morning... after the damage we did the other day I'm surprised the Tommies have it up and running again.

The Staffel now have 14 aircraft fully serviceable with 10 pilots on this operation.
After the briefing we were astounded to think it would still go ahead, despite the bad weather conditions, heavy cloud, fog and high winds were forecast throughout the day.

My group commander took me to one side afterwards and told me my claim for the Hurricane on the last mission had been denied...
''I know you saw the pilot bail out, but no one else saw it to have it confirmed... I'm sorry Stadler''

Once in the air, we made contact with the Ju 88's at the assigned RV... but it was obvious that if the conditions were the same over the target, the bombers would be lucky to hit anything.

[Linked Image]

The now familiar routine took it's course. We crossed the channel and the all too familiar flak came up to meet us.
I knew that it would only take a few minutes before the bombers were over target, and that meant the RAF were bound to be in the vicinity.
I could see aircraft approaching at our own level from 11 oclock and was about to report to the Schwarm Leader, but then identified them as a pack of Dorniers heading back across the channel.
I relaxed and realised that I was sweating, thinking it was a large group of the enemy...
Just as I thought that, a stream of tracers flew past my canopy, followed by several loud bangs that almost made me jump out of my seat!

I frantically looked behind to see a Hurricane, still firing and registering hits on my airframe.
I shoved the nose straight down at full combat power, flat out, watching my altimeter quickly unwinding to 1500m, speed 650 km/h, and then pulled out, banking left to change direction, heading back out across the sea.

I knew that the aircraft was hit, and more than once. I was thankfully ok, just a little shaken... looking out I could see my left wing was like a colander and the elevator was stiff and slow to respond.
The engine though was slowly but surely loosing power...

[Linked Image]

''not again'' I said aloud... ''please, not again''.

But there was no use sitting in a state of denial... I was going to ditch this time.
I tightened my straps, unplugged the radio lead and oxygen hose... by the time I had done that the engine had cut and the propeller was slowly windmilling as I rapidly lost height.

[Linked Image]

I remembered my training... ''do not ditch into oncoming waves, but put down in the troughs between them''.
I watched the sea get closer and closer, and just before my plane hit I raised the nose slightly, and then with a huge bang I hit the surface!

[Linked Image]

My head was thrown violently forward and my shoulders felt like they were coming out of their sockets... then all was quiet, apart from a hissing sound and the sound of incoming water.
The cockpit was slowly filling... Time to get out!
I undid my safety straps and parachute harness, then I got rid of the canopy... I stood up, marvelling that the Emil had not flipped over, and was still floating on the surface. But it couldn't last.

I stepped onto the wing, hanging onto the side of the cockpit, wondering what I should do next... I then became aware of powerful engines approaching from behind.
I could not believe my luck, someone had seen me ditch and were coming to get me. I couldn't care who it was, my own side or the British... all I knew was, I was saved!

[Linked Image]

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/21/19 11:13 PM

Aaaaand....you survived? Sank? Died of hypothermia? Taken prisoner? You're one of our last hopes...great in flight pix. Looking forward to the report! Good on you...G

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/22/19 12:09 AM

Hans Falke
Maj
1/JG54

The JG's Operations Officer called down and said that we would have machines, mostly repairs from ground accidents , At the Staffel for Operations on the 29th. He also hinted at the English is on the ropes having lost over 200 a/c so far and that a Big Grand Slam will knock them out of the War.

https://youtu.be/k88yG93Dh54

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/22/19 12:14 AM

hehe, yes, Trooper, I need closure on that anecdote!

carrick, keep up the good fight... sort of... thumbsup

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/22/19 12:09 PM

Ha!... I left it to you guys to work out biggrin

The vessel pictured is..... an S-38 'Schnellboot' so I was rescued by the Kriegsmarine!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/22/19 12:52 PM

Trooper, excellent stories! I sure hope your pilot made it back!
Carrick, carry on Sir!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/22/19 01:11 PM

Ha!... I left it to you guys to work out biggrin

The vessel pictured is..... an S-38 'Schnellboot' so I was rescued by the Kriegsmarine!

Jeez, now we're, like, supposed to know stuff?!? That wasn't part of the deal!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/23/19 02:16 PM

As we enter the final week, we are down to the few chosen ones! Remember to better the data for week three:
Pilot Questionnaire

And stay alive: much to my surprise, war has turned out to be pretty dangerous...who'd a thunk it?

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/23/19 08:23 PM

(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 1 September 1940

Offensive Patrol... Dover, Canterbury area.
The Staffel will provide cover for friendly aircraft proceeding to, or returning from operations in that area...

Take off 0700hrs, distance to target area 70 km.
Time to target, 11 mins. Weather over target: expect heavy cloud and rain.
Route to target altitude, 5300m.

MAX STADLER DIARY ENTRY.

My rescue from the channel by the good men of the Kriegsmarine was a wake up call... would I be lucky a third time I had to ask myself.
After I was hauled on board like a floundering fish, they were all laughing so hard they could hardly stand up!
Their Oberleutnant zur See slapped my back, gave me a steaming mug of coffee, and pressed into my other hand a small metal object.

''My Kapitan says you are to have this. You are the fourth Luftwaffe dogfish we have pulled out this week... He also thinks that perhaps some of you might want to transfer as you spend so much time in the water!''

I looked at the shiny object in my hand and smiled. '' Of course I will be eternally grateful to you wonderful mensch, but I couldn't transfer as I don't want to smell of rotten pilchards for the rest of my life''

More back slapping and laughter followed, but I vowed to treasure that metal object as long as I lived...

[Linked Image]

After such a violent landing in the sea, I was in hospital and under observation for three days, as sometimes a pilot can have complications after the event.
I was given the all clear and was returned to Guines to find that in my absence, the Staffel was back to full strength with a full compliment of aircraft, plus two spares.

I went to the mess and could not believe my eyes... standing at the bar talking to Rosenfeld was Zeuch!
I grabbed him and shook his hand... the last time I had seen him was on my very first combat mission, and we had been informed he had been shot down and was posted missing.

''It's so good to see you Zeuch'' I cried... ''where have you been?''

He explained that he had been experiencing engine problems and turned back. Luckily, after a crash landing in the sea about 100m from the beach, he had staggered ashore and was rushed off to hospital.
He had received a blow to his forehead when he hit the sight, then collapsed when he got ashore and had been unconscious for three days!
Needless to say, there was much catching up and 'the odd drink' was consumed!

Hauptmann Hilleke led us out over the channel the following morning... We gained operational height and then headed out to the English coast.
Heavy flak greeted us as we approached Dover... I looked over to see the whole Staffel surrounded by flak. I know exactly what the 'new boys' would be feeling seeing this lot on their first op.

[Linked Image]

As we moved up towards Canterbury, Hilleke suddenly signalled and made a hard left turn... in the distance we could see many aircraft swirling around above the clouds.
I worked out they must be near Hawkinge and it wasn't long before Hilleke radioed enemy contact and led us down on some Hurricanes that were about to hit a formation of Dorniers.
I singled one out that was after a Dornier that had broken away from the group, but the pilot must have seen me and veered sharply away and down.

[Linked Image]

We spiralled down in a rolling scissors but neither he or I could get a good firing solution, and soon we entered the clouds and the bad weather below and we lost each other.

[Linked Image]

I was in the clouds, no visibility... then something close flashed by my canopy, then several more... all around me objects were falling. Then I realised... ''Bombs, they are bloody bombs!''.
I soared upwards, praying they would not hit me... even if a bomb didn't go off, it would smash my little Emil to pieces.
As I cleared the clouds, I found myself smack in the middle of a large formation of Ju 88's!

[Linked Image]

I eased myself out of the bombers vicinity, checked all around for activity, there was nothing... time to take stock. I checked my instruments, finally settling on the fuel gauge.
Definitely time to head back I thought... I don't want to meet those jokers in the Kriegsmarine again... the thought made me smile!

[Linked Image]

I could make out ahead of me some small formations making their way back across the channel... ''Must be my Staffel'' I thought. Their fuel state must be more or less the same as mine.
I crossed without incident, slowly gaining on the formations ahead.
I dropped below the clouds and prepared myself for the bumpy ride ahead... soon enough, the wind and rain were buffeting me, but I was thankful that this time I had made it back home.

[Linked Image]

I landed without mishap... as I taxied in I could see most of the Staffel had landed. I could see Zeuch's aircraft to my right just completing his taxi... Eight down, plus I had seen three still in the circuit.
I felt good as I switched off and undid my straps and climbed out onto the wing... waiting for me was a few of the pilots with Hilleke and a host of 'Black Men'...

[Linked Image]

'' We were worried about you'' shouted Hilleke... '' We took bets to see if you would get straight into your dinghy''

''Very, very amusing Herr Hauptmann'' was all I could come up with... The rest of them all fell about laughing!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/23/19 10:30 PM

Good job, Trooper, sorry you lost your quarry!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/24/19 01:32 AM

Hans Falke
Maj,
1/JG54.

Mission 12.

1 Sept 1940.

The Staffel missed out flying on Neuer Tag. However the Replacements and a few a/c did come in. Posted to Troll for Fighters over Dover as Our AirFleets bombed. If the English was up we didnt see anything but Heavy Flack. 109's up and all 8 came back.

Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-23 17-07-09-55.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-23 17-07-38-67.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/24/19 02:44 AM

When the same number leave as come back, it's a good day!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/24/19 12:25 PM

I like the flak representation in the game biggrin
Have to say though, in all the bomber escort missions flown, not a single bomber has been shot down or properly targeted by the enemy.
The fighters all go for my flight, nothing else... During the actual BoB, weren't bombers the main target aircraft, if I remember right.
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/25/19 04:34 AM

I like the flak representation in the game biggrin
Have to say though, in all the bomber escort missions flown, not a single bomber has been shot down or properly targeted by the enemy.
The fighters all go for my flight, nothing else... During the actual BoB, weren't bombers the main target aircraft, if I remember right.

Yes the focus was on the Bombers. All in all, the Hurricanes would concentrate on the Bombers and the Spittys also, but the Spittys would also tangle with the Escorting Fighters to try to clear the Hurricanes to concentrate on the bombers. Of course if attacked either would have to break off any attack to survive, but the main focus was the bombers. I haven't tried a 109 Campaign yet, but this might be something that needs looked into? Great AARs and pics Trooper.

S!Blade<><

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/26/19 09:39 PM

LETTER FROM MAX STADLER
CAMP No2 GLEN MILL
OLDHAM
LANCASHIRE

Kameraden...

It is now 2 months since that fateful day on 2 Sept that I was shot down and captured.
I am in good health generally, and although I was wounded, I have recovered after a three week period in hospital.
Since then I have been on lighter duties and have not been required to work in the fields.

I am taking this opportunity to write and give you a short account of why I am here... there is talk of moving us to Canada soon and I am not sure when I will be able to do so again.
The mood is not good in the camp... no one is looking forward to being sent to Canada on a long voyage across the sea.
Locked up down below with the obvious dangers that lurk out there... I'm sure you understand what I mean.
There have already been a near riot and protests but it looks like the British will send us.

Anyway, let me return to my account of my last mission.
We were escorting bombers to Swingfield airfield... the weather was again stormy with heavy cloud.
Again, watching the large force heading over the channel, I could not help but think how much longer the English could endure this kind of punishment.
It was an impressive sight.

[Linked Image]

As we ran into the target area, there were calls of a large force of enemy fighters approaching, and very quickly we were mixing it with them.
I was with my Rottenflieger, Quant... but lost sight of him and ended up in the fight of my life with a Hurricane pilot that was no novice.
Three times I had my sights on him and he seemed to know just when I was about to fire, then he was gone...
I was on him again, climbing hard and I did register hits on his port wing on the third attempt, but again he evaded.

[Linked Image]

Me... I stalled out!
I was at 4000m and spun through the clouds and only got control again at 1500m...
Unfortunately, I had fallen through the cloud base and immediately became visible to every #%&*$# AA gunner on the island!
Flak was bursting all around me and my aircraft was hit...

[Linked Image]

I looked around the cockpit, I knew I was wounded, my head hurt, everything was muffled...
My instruments and cockpit were spattered with blood.

[Linked Image]

I was wounded, loosing power, something electrical was burning somewhere, also loosing height....
I didn't need to think twice, this time there would be no chancing my luck over the sea... time to get out!

[Linked Image]

The next thing I knew, several angry looking civilians with shotguns and pitchforks were grabbing hold of me.
I'm not sure what might have happened, I certainly was in no shape to resist, but a policeman turned up and took control, and now here I am!

Good wishes to all!
If you get a move on and finish the job, you just may stop me going on a little trip to Canada.

Hals und Beinbruch!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/27/19 01:23 AM

Hans Falke
Maj,
1/JG54.

Mission 13.

3 Sept 1940.

Swingfield: Escort and attack in poor weather

Hq at Air fleet must be crackers, what good can 6 109's due as an Escort and attack an AF ? Over Dover, We loss sight of the bombers in cloud then we started catching Flack . Over the target , It got very bad. I nosed over firing and keeping the airspeed up to 300
made the one pass the did a Blue Max Low and fast up and over Houses and trees till Feet Wet. Finally, the Flack stopped. The flight loss was 4 out of 6 machines that morning. What a Mess.

Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-26 16-47-29-58.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-26 16-47-43-08.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2019-02-26 17-02-29-64.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/27/19 03:08 AM

Oh no, Trooper! At least you will survive to sample the sweet, life-giving-and-affirming taste of Lowenbrau again! carrick...um...no pressure?

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/27/19 08:51 AM

lol!... It has been good fun Rick. I knew with so many close calls that I would probably get it before the end... I'm surprised I have lasted this long! wounded
And keep at it carrick!... but don't be a hero... not long now to the end of the challenge!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 02/28/19 10:44 PM

Hans Falke
Maj,
1/JG54.

Mission 14 Cancelled.

No Flights as the Staffel has only 3 a/c.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/02/19 07:13 PM

Well, that's all she wrote! Please update the pilot questionnaire one more time so we can declare our winner! (Although I have a sneaking suspicion who it is!)

Pilot Questionnaire

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/03/19 01:16 AM

It was a blast Rick! Thanks for putting this on.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/03/19 11:03 PM

Good Fun and a hard challenge.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/04/19 12:13 AM

Looking over the results and running a few back-of-the-envelope calculations (literally!) I see that MFair just ekes out a win over carrick by 3 points! winner

[Linked Image]

Congratulations MFair and please contact me with info for your prize!

kneeldown band

[Linked Image]
carrick, special congratulations for surviving the affair! I am especially jealous!

Thank you to all who participated! Have a good night! You don't have to go home but you can't stay here! beercheers bottles

Rick

Attached picture WINNERWINNER.jpg
Attached picture Final.jpg

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/04/19 01:09 AM

Congratulations MFair and Carrick. clapping
Thanks for organizing this Rick. salute
Wish I could have survived longer.

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/04/19 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stache
salute
Wish I could have survived longer.

Yeah, this was a rough one!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/05/19 07:36 PM

What! I was out of touch for a few days and look at this. Did it snow in Hades! Has the second coming happened?! Never in my life did I think I would ever win a Rick Rawlings Challenge. Congratulations to Carrick for surviving and to all who participated. Thanks again Rick!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/06/19 07:52 AM

Rick,
Let’s try “The Most Dangerous Enemy.” Now that I’m retired I have a lot more time for reading. If you need my addy:

XXXXXX
XXXXX
XXXX

[Pol: Edited out address, send any addresses or personal info always via PM only please, and then delete from PM too once the person has it]

Thanks again Rick,
Mark

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/06/19 10:06 AM

Congrats Mark, one thing best send that to Rick PM please, probably bad idea to post your address - I can edit it out ?

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/06/19 01:36 PM

Copied it, Pol, please edit out!

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/06/19 02:05 PM

Done

Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? - 03/07/19 01:21 AM

This is the 1st challenge that I lived thru. Albeit, I was out of a/c most of the time so couldnt fly. Congrats on all who flew this ruff one and thank you Mr. Rawlings.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums