homepage

Books

Posted By: kentcol

Books - 10/06/18 08:12 PM

Reading this book. Good insight into the Hurricanes performance.

Attached picture 51-4AtOyzQL._AC_US218_.jpg
Posted By: Polovski

Re: Books - 10/06/18 08:42 PM

Indeed a great read kentcol
Posted By: carrick58

Re: Books - 10/06/18 10:36 PM

Nine lives BY A. Deere, DSO OBE DFC although mostly about Spits references 222 Sqn and D. Bader. Duel of Eagles by P. Towsend Mostly about the battle of Britain But a lot of references to B Flight 43 Sqn based at Tangmere and the Hurricanes that they flew.
Posted By: Adger

Re: Books - 10/07/18 10:19 AM

I posted a thread regarding They flew hurricanes bout 3 weeks ago,it was on the kindle download for 99p here in the UK. It's ok MO I'd give it a 6-7 out of 10. It's not has good for me Personnally as First Light or Carrier pilot (non hurricane books). I've ordered Gun button to fire which I'm told is a very good read..cheers Carrick il check out your recommendations
Posted By: Eisenfaust

Re: Books - 10/07/18 12:22 PM

For those interested in a German perspective not only about the Battle of Britain but the whole air war I can recommend Galland's The First and the Last. More about airial warfare concept and strategy then tactics for a single aviator or technical details about a single plane but I found it very interesting to read.
Posted By: Adger

Re: Books - 10/07/18 02:34 PM

Thanks Eisenfaust,it's just £2.39 kindle edition here in the uk,looks like another one il add to my reading list
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Books - 10/07/18 02:41 PM

I flew for the Fuhrer, by Heinz Knoke... great book if you want a good perspective from a Germans point of view...
I have an original 1953 copy.

By the way, if you are interested in books about pilots flying Hurri's, 'Messerschmitt Roulette' by Geoffrey Morley-Mower in the Western Desert is a really good read as well.

Also on a Western Desert theme is 'Libyan Log' by Eain Ogilvie published in 1943, gives a good idea of what flying and fighting out there was all about.
Posted By: Ace_Pilto

Re: Books - 10/12/18 10:12 AM

Knocke's book is excellent but he came into the war late. For a more comprehensive overview of the Luftwaffe try "Die Erste und die Letzte" by Adolf Galland. He's a bit of a line shooter, like a German Chuck Yeager, but you can always read between them.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums