homepage

New Rig Questions

Posted By: ARUP

New Rig Questions - 12/12/17 02:00 AM

Hello! S! Currently have Win 7 64 bit, i7-3770K CPU @3.5GHz and GeForce GTX660Ti. I have to use lower settings in order to play without stutters and 'tearing' of graphics. I am looking at getting i7-7700K CPU@4.2 or i7-7740X CPU@4.3GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (300 series) mobo and one of the EVGA GTX 1080Ti vid cards. Those cards use Direct X 12 so will they work with WOFF UE and the soon to be released Wings Over The Reich? I know the current Direct X can be up to 10 version. Thanks for your reply. I don't know a lot about computers but try...! This will be my second computer build. S!
Posted By: Panama Red

Re: New Rig Questions - 12/12/17 09:38 AM

I use a 7700k with a 980Ti and my average FPS in 1918 is over 90 FPS over the front and 60 FPS landing, so your 1080Ti should be no problem.

It is the CPU that gives you the bigger boost in FPS in WOFF versus the GPU once you get above a certain GPU from several years ago. I know because I went from a 3970K to a 7700k and it jumped my FPS by better that 50% when I did that.

Re: New Rig Questions - 12/13/17 02:36 AM

Panama Red, thanks for your input. I am going to get an i7-8700K CPU so that should be fine for a long time coming! Will WOFF UE run with Direct X 12?

Re: New Rig Questions - 12/13/17 09:49 AM

WOFF UE uses DX 9, so it just ignores DX 12.

That is why you have to install the DX 9 that comes with the game to get WOFF UE to play right.

Re: New Rig Questions - 12/14/17 12:28 AM

S! Thanks for the lesson! I'm not very 'tech savvy' but can muddle though. I'm stupid when it comes to this stuff. lol I remember all the downloads and mods to get RB3D up to speed. If manufacturers can ever get a chipset to 'move the bubble' from two dimensions to three then this computer stuff will 'be off the hook'!

Re: New Rig Questions - 12/14/17 12:56 AM

Good luck on finding an i7-8700K CPU. I understand that they are still hard to find out there.
Posted By: kksnowbear

Re: New Rig Questions - 12/19/17 12:54 PM

ARUP, NewEgg has the 8700k in stock right now for ~$405. Also, not sure what part of KY you're in, but MicroCenter has them in their Cincinnati store for ~$380, if it's not too far to go - or maybe you know someone who lives near one of their stores who'd be willing to pick it up for you.

MicroCenter usually has better prices on CPUs than anyone, and also they offer 'bundle' discounts if you buy a CPU with a motherboard. It's usually a great deal; in fact I've been buying CPUs and motherboards there exclusively for many years now.

Good luck. And please check your PMs wink

Re: New Rig Questions - 01/12/18 09:53 PM

ARUP, I don't recall whether you were close to a MicroCenter or not - but they are selling the 8700k right now for $359. Plus, if you buy the CPU with a motherboard, they have a 'bundle deal', and Asus is also offering a $10 rebate on some Z370 boards.

Just thought it might be of some interest as regards your upgrade plans.

Re: New Rig Questions - 02/26/18 12:24 AM

Thanks, kksnowbear but I am not near anything where I live! And it's GREAT! I did get an Intel i78700k and an Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 mobo. I got a little tube of good thermal paste but can't remember which. It's down inside the box. Bitcoin mining(?) is evidently wreaking havoc on vid card prices. I'm saving for a GeForce 1080Ti unless sump'n even faster comes out in the next few months. I don't care... WOFF UE is worth whatever it takes as far as I'm concerned! Even the torture of fooling with computer builds and programs and files and etc., which is stuff I don't like doing, is worth the effort of getting WOFF UE running prpoperly. I so do like 'flying' WOFF. That's the only video game I spend time playing.

Re: New Rig Questions - 02/26/18 03:10 AM

Congratulations, ARUP...good to hear you're moving ahead with your new system smile Yeah the mining craze has really hit the 10 series cost like crazy. But if you can wait out a sale (and find one in stock), hopefully you'll be in business soon!
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: New Rig Questions - 02/26/18 03:05 PM

Folks

You are posting in the FAQ and Reference thread. I think you should not be posting here.

If I am wrong, I apologize.

Re: New Rig Questions - 02/26/18 03:54 PM

Hey RJW, sorry, hadn't even thought about that. frown Just replying to the dialogue and hadn't considered where it was.

Maybe one of the mods will come along and move it.
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: New Rig Questions - 02/26/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by kksnowbear
Hey RJW, sorry, hadn't even thought about that. frown Just replying to the dialogue and hadn't considered where it was.

Maybe one of the mods will come along and move it.

we've all done it. Not to worry, one of the mods probably will.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums