homepage

I’ve encountered a possible bug

Posted By: Fosterc

I’ve encountered a possible bug - 04/11/19 04:07 PM

Has anyone had a problem flying the DH2 where at a certain point your aircraft slowly gets held in place and dragged to the ground?

I’ve notice it happen to me twice.
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: I’ve encountered a possible bug - 04/11/19 05:06 PM

Yes, it’s called being shot down.

Sorry, couldn’t resist it. Unfortunately I’ve never encountered this condition. You are probably the first one to describe it. Or I’m wrong and I should be shot.

Re: I’ve encountered a possible bug - 04/11/19 05:41 PM

There’s no damage to the aircraft though, my aircraft just slowly floats straight down.
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: I’ve encountered a possible bug - 04/11/19 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fosterc
Has anyone had a problem flying the DH2 where at a certain point your aircraft slowly gets held in place and dragged to the ground?

I’ve notice it happen to me twice.

Ah yes! I believe it's called "a Tractor Beam" biggrin
Posted By: Waldemar_Kurtz

Re: I’ve encountered a possible bug - 04/11/19 06:13 PM

I haven't experienced this yet - but some aircraft are designed to reflect engine failures. I've had it happen to me a couple of times with German two-seaters. things were going quite well and then suddenly my engine died.

the fact that it's happened to you twice makes me wonder:
did you reduce your fuel mixture as you gained altitude? after your climb over 7,000-10,000 ft of altitude you should lean the fuel mixture to prevent this sort of thing from happening. you're possibly flooding the engine with fuel and killing it. if that happens you can try restarting your engine as you descend and it will usually pick up again.

if you DID reduce your fuel mixture this is probably a simulated engine failure which happens randomly. better to leave your engine off and make the best of it. I've tried restarting it, and sometimes it leads to your aircraft catching on fire. so far all of this sounds.. pretty normal.

might want to wait for somebody who flies the DH2 really often to weigh in on this. but it sounds okay to me.

Re: I’ve encountered a possible bug - 04/11/19 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Waldemar_Kurtz
I haven't experienced this yet - but some aircraft are designed to reflect engine failures. I've had it happen to me a couple of times with German two-seaters. things were going quite well and then suddenly my engine died.

the fact that it's happened to you twice makes me wonder:
did you reduce your fuel mixture as you gained altitude? after your climb over 7,000-10,000 ft of altitude you should lean the fuel mixture to prevent this sort of thing from happening. you're possibly flooding the engine with fuel and killing it. if that happens you can try restarting your engine as you descend and it will usually pick up again.

if you DID reduce your fuel mixture this is probably a simulated engine failure which happens randomly. better to leave your engine off and make the best of it. I've tried restarting it, and sometimes it leads to your aircraft catching on fire. so far all of this sounds.. pretty normal.

might want to wait for somebody who flies the DH2 really often to weigh in on this. but it sounds okay to me.

But the engine doesn’t die, it stays running
The first time it happened I just shoot down an observation balloon, the second time I was hard turning to engage a flight of Eindeckers.
Posted By: OvStachel

Re: I’ve encountered a possible bug - 04/12/19 01:49 AM

It would be good to post this in the technical issues area of the forum. Just make sure you give the squadron, location, year, and any other info that might help troubleshooting

Thanks!
Posted By: Polovski

Re: I’ve encountered a possible bug - 04/12/19 07:42 PM

Without a video or something I can't tell exactly what you mean, but I have never heard of an aircraft being "held in place and dragged to the ground".
In the 2nd comment you say "my aircraft just slowly floats straight down" which sounds completely different - that sounds like a stall, or spin of some kind. Some are deadly and avoided at all costs in some old aircraft as they are sometimes fatal and some are not recoverable (especially with damage). The DH2 had a nickname the Spinning Incinerator which can give you a clue.

If your joystick is seemingly not responding check the ailerons/rudder/elevator is actually moving then you know at least your stick IS working (not that it will necessarily help depending on what is happening)... or maybe the stick itself is intermittently faulty / disconnecting.

© 2024 SimHQ Forums