homepage

CW3 needs some advice

Posted By: CW3SF

CW3 needs some advice - 01/13/19 02:47 PM

I need to upgrade to windows 10 . My very old MSN must go and be replaced by Chrome.

Years ago there was lots of you folks hanging on to Windows 7 ( as I did also ). Several of you had changed to Windows 10 with no issue.

How should I change to windows 10 in a smooth "no sweat" process that will run this flight sim that I love. The last up grade I did a year
ago was to move up to GTX 1080 Ti that works just fine.

Still Flying a few hours a day, Hiking a thousand miles a year, and Elk hunting in Colorado with my son and grandson!

I will run in to 82 this April.
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: CW3 needs some advice - 01/13/19 03:34 PM

Hi ya CW! Great to see you are still around and doing well. To your inquiry, you will first need to make sure that your system can support Windows 10. Once you have determined that you will want to back up everything on an external HD or USB sticks. All your files, photos, documents, everything. With that done you can move ahead with the Windows 10 install, which is as simple as installing the disc and letting it do its thing. Afterwards you will have to get online and allow the OS to update itself, which will take a while. When you have it installed and updated you should be able to reinstall all your programs and sims and files and such. Do be sure though that the programs and sims you are reinstall will work on W10, as a fair number of older ones will not.

I'm sure others will weigh in here on this, so wait to see what they have to say as well. Good luck CW, I installed Windows 10 quite some time ago now and have never looked back. And it works great with WOFF.

Cheers!

Lou

Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: CW3 needs some advice - 01/13/19 05:49 PM

Well, i can't weigh in much on that, better people can handle that. I just stopped by for a minute, saw this and figured I'd say "Hi!" good to "see" you around, at least virtually. keep hiking, shooting elk and WOFFing, my good man, and blessings to you in the New Year! 82 years young, I hope I'm in that kind of shape when I get there!
Posted By: Panama Red

Re: CW3 needs some advice - 01/13/19 05:58 PM

You have to make sure you have all the new drivers for your hardware when moving to Windows 10, or things will not work and you may not know why.

We have a number of PC's and when we tried updating to Windows 10 years ago, only two PC's did it without problems, all the rest we had to go back to Windows 7 because of problems.

As a result, you had better make a backup of your Windows 7 system in case your PC does not work on Windows 10.
Posted By: Waldemar_Kurtz

Re: CW3 needs some advice - 01/13/19 06:13 PM

Windows 10 works very smoothly for WOFF because the development team put in a lot of hard work on this mod. but most of my other older games that I've imported to Win 10 are very glitchy and crash a lot. to make matters worse - none of them have error logs so if you don't already know the code error message you can't find out why it crashed. Red Baron 3D works on Win 10... but it's pretty unstable. and my modded version of "Axis and Allies" (an RTS game I play) crashes a lot and I never know why.... and this mod worked PERFECTLY for hours on end in Windows XP. (as did my beloved RB3D mod installs.)

I admit that Windows 10 was annoying at first... so much so, that I was tempted to get a cheap 'slow' computer for $200 or so and then over-write that box with my copy of Windows XP.

fortunately, I was able to get WOFF installed (and I bought the new PC specifically with that in mind!) after three install attempts for CFS3 I finally got it working. by comparison, installing WOFF was a breeze!
Posted By: CW3SF

Re: CW3 needs some advice - 01/13/19 08:13 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice.

The only other game I play is Civilization 5 and I have been told that It will work with Windows 10 just fine.

Thanks!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums