homepage

2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos

Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/25/18 02:50 AM

The following is a link to my dropbox containing the photos taken at the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous:

Present in photos: Arup, Robert Wiggins, Comes, Raine, BuckeyeBob, and Stache.

Stache,and his friend James (not in the photos) ran the simulations for Saturday and Sunday and dedicated themselves to doing so for the full event. Cudos to both of you for your dedication to WOFF and promoting it to the public in attendance. I am sure your love and dedication to WOFF UE will not go unappreciated by OBD or the rest of our fine WOFF community. You two never left the tent to take the time to enjoy the rest of the events at the show. OBD could find no better dedication and commitment to their products. thumbsup

click to access photos

Posted By: MajorMagee

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/25/18 03:16 AM

I'm sorry I missed seeing you this year.

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/25/18 03:21 AM

Likewise Major.

It was an excellent show that surpassed 2016 for number of aircraft in attendance, both RC, full scale, and supporting activities
Posted By: Polovski

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/25/18 08:56 AM

Amazing, many thanks Stache and to James for that. Please don't miss out on the show though next time !
Posted By: JFM

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/25/18 11:26 AM

I stopped by the tent a few times but Stache was so busy helping people fly I didn't want to interrupt.
Posted By: Stache

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/25/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by JFM
I stopped by the tent a few times but Stache was so busy helping people fly I didn't want to interrupt.

Aw, that's a bummer. I was wondering why I never saw you. I had brought my copies of the Richthofen books for you to sign. Oh well - maybe in 2020...

Glad you were there, hope you had a good time.

Originally Posted by Polovski
Amazing, many thanks Stache and to James for that. Please don't miss out on the show though next time !

Maybe next time we can get a schedule of workers going so I can have a few breaks. (not that I minded all the activity)
But I was impressed with the non-stop attendance this year. I think I gave out about 200 WOFF business cards.
I think we were running about four or five per hour though the simulation.
Had Combat Scenario and Takeoff/Landing Scenario for each of a British, French, German, American Pilot.
Let them fly until - 1) Ran out of bullets, 2) ran out of gas 3) ran out of enemies, 4) ran into the ground, 5 ran into another plane.

Had a 37" TV there to show Jammer's videos on - Thanks Jammer.

Talked to a lot of previous RB3D players and a few ROF players.
I spoke with the General in charge of the museum and gave him a WOFF card.
I spoke with the Simulation team of the museum - they are working on a new VR system, but were impressed with WOFF.

I know those who where there did help out lot keeping James's system going. Thank you Robert, Raine, Jenks and Combs.

None of the ROF guys showed up. So we were pure WOFF.
I will have to find out what happened to Ken O'Brian.

Robert - did you go to the banquet? Any mention of the WOFF team there?
Did anyone else go to the banquet?

p.s. Nice photos Robert - I need to spend more time reviewing them.
Posted By: Dark_Canuck

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/25/18 07:51 PM

Amazing stuff. Looks like everyone had a blast.
Posted By: JFM

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/25/18 10:10 PM

That was sweet of you, Stache. Sorry I left you hanging. But no way was I going to interrupt the masses--you were always fully engaged with many people when I went in there, never just hanging around or anything, doing nothing. BTW, that (what I'm presuming was an) Albatros cockpit was awesome.
Posted By: ARUP

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/25/18 11:04 PM

It was great putting faces to the WOFF forum names. I just went in the tent and said hello and got a free hat! How about that! Thanks Robert! Robert wouldn't accept a donation for it or anything. First class! Stache was a busy fella... no doubt about that. I just went over to his SIM and got in his way so I could say hello! The event was awesome! My favorite RC airplane was the BE2. The modeler really did a nice job on such an understated subject. My favorite full scale bird was the Drl (naturally) with the rotary. My second favorite was the nifty Junkers Monoplane with the dummy passenger. That was pretty slick and reminiscent of Udet's antics.

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/26/18 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stache

Robert - did you go to the banquet? Any mention of the WOFF team there?

Hi Stache, Yes, Raine and I went to the banquet. Great food and topped off with several tunes pumped out by a 5 member air force band that was composed of studio quality musicians. They blew me away with their skill. I was very impressed indeed.

The down side was that our WOFF tent wasn't mentioned. It seems every other event was though. Not sure why that was the case but bears comment and I will be sending off a memo on that one.

Best Regards
Posted By: Sailor_Steve

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/26/18 08:25 AM

Awesome stuff! I'm still new to this forum and it's great to be able to put some faces to the names I've come to know. Thanks for sharing all this.

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/26/18 12:22 PM

Sailor_Steve

Your most welcome. I often think how great it would be to have all the WOFF ERST at a convention format like this. It would be quite an experience.
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/27/18 02:34 AM

Robert, it was great to look over the pictures; thanks! It sounds like Mike & James did a real yeoman's effort to expose as many as possible to the fearsome skies of WOFF! Really, really wish I could have been there! I remember you from the pics, and great to see the others.

But I've been crazy busy; my company needs me to work as much as possible, 50 hrs if I can do it. But it's been raining a lot. so I had to get the mowing caught up Saturday and additional yard work Sunday and man am I beat. But of course the primary reason I could not attend was my daughter giving birth to our new grandson. Her due date was the 24th, and, as I said, she's been quite punctual with the first two, one right on and the second the next day and with this one we thought she may even be early but....

She. still. hasn't. had. the. boy...!

I COULD'VE BEEN THERE! Blast it all, the 100th anniversary of the Armistice, it looked like quite a show.

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/27/18 02:46 AM

Drone
It would have been great to see you but as you already know, life happens!
That said, it can't hold a candle to the birth of a grandson.

Best Regards
Posted By: OvStachel

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/27/18 03:23 AM

Robert, what state was this in? Post the date and location for next year when you can as I will be bidding on my vacation roster pretty soon and I wouldn't mind coming in and hanging out with you guys.

I miss this side of aviation and would love to see it again. Plus a closer look at Stache's setup!!
Posted By: Shredward

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/27/18 03:50 AM

Stachel,
It's always in September, next one is 2020. Lets you and me save the date!
Cheers
shredward
Posted By: OvStachel

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/27/18 05:12 AM

Sounds good to me!

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/27/18 01:13 PM

Thanks Shredder, you beat me to it!
Posted By: MajorMagee

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/27/18 09:19 PM

WPAFB Area B in Dayton Ohio.
Posted By: Stache

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/27/18 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by OvStachel
Robert, what state was this in? Post the date and location for next year when you can as I will be bidding on my vacation roster pretty soon and I wouldn't mind coming in and hanging out with you guys.
I miss this side of aviation and would love to see it again. Plus a closer look at Stache's setup!!

As already noted the next one is not until 2020, Dayton OH, at the National Museum of the United State Air Force.

I did not find out the exact date for this years event until September of 2017.
I would expect it it be in a similar time slot, although in 2016 it was in October for unusual reasons.

As a side note, there are numerous WWII airshows, one quite close to my home.
Now that WOTR is out, might be some more opportunities.

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/30/18 01:45 AM

I would hope so. I'll stay tuned.

By the way, for those of you who may be following the little sub-discussion about me not being able to come because my daughter was due and we are the appointed caretakers - I'd posted to RW above that I could have been at the Reunion, as she still hadn't delivered. Well, a couple of hours later, at 1:45 AM on 9/27, her husband called and said things were happening very quickly. My wife dressed and headed up to take care of their older kids (4 yrs od and 2 yrs old), who, thank God, were asleep and stayed that way. Even though eventually 2 cops and 2 ambulances showed up right outside their bedroom window - after my wife and my daughter's hubby had helped her deliver the baby - standing up - in the bathroom. (well, squatting, obviously, but still, that girl is tough stuff). This was about 2:05 AM, as near as I can tell.

I went up in the morning and took my wife and the granddaughters a hot breakfast - and as we were leaving, thought I'd use the bathroom - but after I'd washed my hands, realized that there wasn't a bath towel, hand towel, wash rag, rug - every possible absorbent article except the toilet paper was gone from that room! (and, as usual, my wife, ever efficient, had the room all scrubbed up and everything in the wash before she went back to sleep!)

Mom and baby are fine. My wife will never forget that - she helped deliver her own grandchild. And it's a boy, and I'm getting close to retirement, so I think it'll be time to dust off the rocketry skills, and my old Aurora Model Motoring slot car track, and the trains, and the planes, and, when he's ready - WOFF/WOTR!

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 09/30/18 01:58 AM

Drone;

Talk about a Grandpa chomping at the bit!!
Isn't it wonderful how grand kids give us just the excuse we need to relive childhood!

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 10/02/18 02:17 AM

Indeed, RW, indeed! When it comes to passing the family legacy on to young'uns, more is "caught" than "taught" and I always want them to see me doing GOOD things and being a barrel of fun.
Posted By: Raine

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 10/02/18 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by HumanDrone
And it's a boy, and I'm getting close to retirement, so I think it'll be time to dust off the rocketry skills, and my old Aurora Model Motoring slot car track, and the trains, and the planes, and, when he's ready - WOFF/WOTR!

Oh yeah!!! And now you have me watching videos of slot car racing...
Posted By: carrick58

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 10/02/18 03:09 PM

Great Stuff

Re: 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous Photos - 10/03/18 01:59 AM

Yes sir guys it sure is. I have like 150+ ft of pin-and-joiner Aurora HO track, and all the trimmings - bridges, trestles, humps, chicanes, X's, 4 different radii turns, twin bank turn sets, twin 90° crossings, lap counters - I had everything in pairs so I could run 4 lanes. I even found an HO railroad crossing, but it'll need a little surgery as I think it's Tyco. When I was a kid, I made some insane layouts. The speeds weren't so high then, and you'd drift around the turns with you back end spinning on to those yellow sloped berm pieces... good times!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums