homepage

Guilty thoughts about WOTR...

Posted By: DukeIronHand

Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 12:41 AM

I have a confession.
I get all the good reasons for OBD’s development of WOTR - I really do.
But WW1 aviation is my baby. So why am I excited about WOTR?
The thought (and hope) that any new game or graphic improvements made for WOTR can also be back-ported over to WOFF to make Super WOFF UE 2.0.
I’m a bit selfish.
Posted By: Hellshade

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand
I have a confession.
I get all the good reasons for OBD’s development of WOTR - I really do.
But WW1 aviation is my baby. So why am I excited about WOTR?
The thought (and hope) that any new game or graphic improvements made for WOTR can also be back-ported over to WOFF to make Super WOFF UE 2.0.
I’m a bit selfish.

I feel the same way. I'm trying to imagine what advancements to the WOTR engine OBD is making and combining those with the latest performance mods our outstanding modding community has been producing. The best days could well yet be to come.
Posted By: Nowi

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 12:35 PM

All excellent points. I suspect the WOFF exe is, given it’s orculiar evolution, what I think is called “spaghetti code.”

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 01:02 PM

Not to cause anyone to get upset because I have NO FACTS or inside information at all, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that OBD could make so many changes to the engine that it would be difficult to retrofit it back into WOFF UE, as many of the changes may be integrated needs required by WOTR to support it's WWII setting. That is essentially what happened with RoF. It's Digital Nature engine kept getting upgraded and changed to support their various WWII titles until eventually there was no way to port the changes back and they had to go with re-creating RoF planes and maps in their new, vastly upgraded Digital Warfare engine.

Again - I have no knowledge that this is true AT ALL for WOTR and WOFF UE. I merely say it's a technical possibility that is not without precedent. Time will tell. Until then, the modding community has been doing one hell of a job upgrading WOFF UE in terms of extra content (Airfields, forts, etc), graphics (Ground textures and effects, etc) and performance (AnKor, BuckeyeBob, Rober Wiggins, etc 1.5 blue triangle killer). Now we see AnKor had a prototype for 3D clouds 6 months ago in DX9. The future is not certain but we can't say there haven't been improvements or that things aren't being worked on.
Posted By: Raine

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 01:45 PM

As much as I love WW1, as WOTR gets closer to release, I'm getting excited, because I realise that there has never been a fully immersive WW2 campaign in a sim -- not in the way WOFF lets you really get into the life of a WW1 pilot.

I'm dying to see what OBD offers us, and I'm confident it will break new ground in immersive simulation.

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Raine
As much as I love WW1, as WOTR gets closer to release, I'm getting excited, because I realise that there has never been a fully immersive WW2 campaign in a sim -- not in the way WOFF lets you really get into the life of a WW1 pilot.

I'm dying to see what OBD offers us, and I'm confident it will break new ground in immersive simulation.

Oh yeah, the campaign will be amazing. OBD really should be called OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) for their propensity to fill in the historical details for immersion.
Posted By: MFair

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 06:37 PM

Ok Gents, here are the facts. Wait, Pol said I could not divulge any info. Sorry! All kidding aside I cannot wait either.

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by MFair
Ok Gents, here are the facts. Wait, Pol said I could not divulge any info. Sorry! All kidding aside I cannot wait either.

Cruel, Good Sir. Just cruel. wink
Posted By: carrick58

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 07:32 PM

OMG, I just cant wait for the fully immersive OBD WOTR. I am checkbook Ready!

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 07:53 PM

Dunno.
I have to suspect, that at the core roots, WOFF and WOTR are at least kissing cousins and that some, if not a lot, of certain game improvements can carry over. Didn’t say it would be as easy as a drag & drop or a cut & paste but doable. Or so goes my little fantasy anyway....

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 08:00 PM

It may very well be that that is true, DH I certainly hope that it is. I just said its possible that it won't, depending on what kind of changes they needed to make to support WWII specifically.

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/11/18 08:35 PM

My main hope, besides obvious graphics ones (not that WOFF needs a lot of help there), is with the Campaign Engine. Specifically Mission waypoints (especially for the Allies Scout patrols), the AI’s response to said waypoints, the AI’s reaction to certain situations, differences in missions for nationality, and Squadron/Jasta organization - like some flight integrity and three flights for the British Scout squadrons where applicable. A modder took care of the HA “kill count” thing. A little more “historical feel” to victory claims (different for both sides) would nice too. A differing AI response (and missions planning) based on nationality and time of the war would be cool too.

Please don’t take this as a “whine list” as WOFF, to me, is about as perfect a game as they come but little tweaks are always welcome.
Posted By: rtoolooze262

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/12/18 04:24 AM

Being that WW2 is my main interest, I'm just super stoked!
I mean, for now, WOFF UE is the top sim for me ever! And because of this wonderful sim I've learned so much about the Great War. And I'm thankful for that. But WOW, to have that kind of immersion in a WW2 setting!

That doesn't mean WOFF UE will be shelved, just means I'll have 2 super sims to play with. Plus I'm looking forward to new advancements going back and making WOFF even better! Pol has said that's the plan.

And ya, I've got money put back and waiting for WOTR!
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/12/18 10:56 AM

I have WWI, civilian sims, modern sims and WWII... I thoroughly enjoy all of them.
If OBD's WoTR is anything like WoFF I will be fully immersed and loving it... not a trace of guilt anywhere smile
Posted By: Bad0pel

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/13/18 01:04 AM

The day i can actually simulate a proper B-17 campaign in just about anything newer than "The Mighty Eighth", would be... simply amazing for heavy lovers. I remember voting for the 17's when there a poll about interests in what aircrafts. Just seeing the B-17 up there made my heart skip with joy for a second. And it at-least ranked 3rd or 4th? To think, maybe someday? But heck, l can't wait to get hold of this either way! I know with the quality of WoFF:UE i enjoy so much, WOTR is going to be a must have for my WWII fix as well. Something along the lines of... I know, wishful thinking. But imagine flying in a formation of a hundred of these keeping your crew alive, or squadron even??
Posted By: Raine

Re: Guilty thoughts about WOTR... - 07/13/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by MFair

Okay, guys. Put on the black robes with the hoods. I have MFair tied to a chair in the back room, and I'm sure he has lots to tell us...

twoweeks
© 2024 SimHQ Forums