homepage

Guilty pleasures

Posted By: Shredward

Guilty pleasures - 02/20/18 06:50 PM

In the old days (we're talking RBII here) I used to gleefully dive down on a virtual opponent in my trusty Noop and launch a fusillade of le Prieurs. It always felt wrong ie ahistorical, but it was great fun.
And this morning, here I am reading
"Ball and Walters found that their balloons had been taken down, so they attacked a formation of LVGs and Fokker D types to the NE of Bapaume. Ball fired all eight of his rockets at one of the Fokkers from a range of 200 yds, but missed. He then closed to 50 yds and fired half a drum of Lewis. The Fokker went down to crash just east of Beugny. Walters had better luck with his rockets, hitting one of the LVGs in the fuselage and setting it alight, the burning machine finally crashing near Bapaume."
So, carry on doughty rocketeers. It's ok

Cheers,
shredward
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Guilty pleasures - 02/20/18 07:47 PM

Rockets!
There’s something I have never tried!
Posted By: dutch

Re: Guilty pleasures - 02/20/18 08:34 PM

I did after a ballon mission, on a Fokker Etype tail, from a very short range and all the rockets went above and below his wings. If it was a biplane guess it was bingo, not on this early war monoplane.
Posted By: ARUP

Re: Guilty pleasures - 02/21/18 01:53 AM

A Halberstadt pilot fired rockets at an adversary and was able to drive him away. That led to an investigation of rockets as weapons for air to air combat by the German powers that be. Nothing came of it except that another Halberstadt flier set his own wing afire!
Posted By: Deejan

Re: Guilty pleasures - 03/04/18 03:11 AM

I tried firing my 8 prieurs at a DFW for fun from 100 yards and of course missed!! I ended up eating some lead for my experiment. Fun to try but an experiment I will not re-attempt.
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: Guilty pleasures - 03/04/18 06:24 PM

It's possible but not practical...

right around 3:00
Posted By: rtoolooze262

Re: Guilty pleasures - 03/05/18 12:46 AM

Right on Rick, nice shot bro! With all the lead you were pumping into him, I'm surprised he didn't go down sooner.
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: Guilty pleasures - 03/05/18 01:21 AM

The way those rockets hit, I would have thought he would have gone down instantly at that point! Maybe they don't actually do that much damage?
Posted By: ARUP

Re: Guilty pleasures - 03/05/18 02:14 AM

Nice!
Posted By: rtoolooze262

Re: Guilty pleasures - 03/05/18 04:36 AM

I know, I thought it would be a fireball instantly, heading down to the ground, pilot dead and stuff
© 2024 SimHQ Forums