homepage

For MvR historians...

Posted By: DukeIronHand

For MvR historians... - 02/05/18 10:42 AM

Guess I am looking at you here JFM or anyone else with true knowledge.
Was doing a little reading with the morning coffee prior to work (ugh) and wondered:
What ever became of MvR's (or more properly perhaps JG1's) "Geschwaderstock"?

Just in case my spelling is terrible the "knobby walking stick carved from an airplane propeller."
Posted By: JFM

Re: For MvR historians... - 02/05/18 08:06 PM

I have not researched this but my understanding is Goering ultimately acquired it. Where it went after that I do not know.
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: For MvR historians... - 02/05/18 08:16 PM

Yes indeed. Goering was the last official possessor that I am aware of. Hoped, maybe, he gave it to LvR upon wars end but I suppose that would hardly be his style.
Probably kept it then was then lost at the end of WW2 I reckon.

And I had hoped that with the geopolitical changes of the late 80's/90's the stuff from the Schwiednitz (sp) "family museum" would resurface but I guess that's not happening.
Posted By: JFM

Re: For MvR historians... - 02/07/18 12:09 PM

I double-checked to be sure, because I couldn't remember, and it's not listed among the Richthofen museum artifacts. I'll ask Lance B or Greg VW or Peter K if they know about its whereabouts or last-known whereabouts.

I had the same hopes about the Museum pieces. Nobody knows what really happened to the stuff. Was it actually "boxed up" and "shipped back to Moscow"? Would Soviets invading Silesia care about pieces of fabric from a previous war, enough so that they'd be "officially" shipped back to Russia? Or would the house just be looted by ordinary invading soldiers, each of whom took whatever was on hand? Or was the lot just thrown away? And did KvR take the victory cups with her when she fled the advancing Soviets, and they are not actually in Russia?
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: For MvR historians... - 02/07/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by JFM
I double-checked to be sure, because I couldn't remember, and it's not listed among the Richthofen museum artifacts. I'll ask Lance B or Greg VW or Peter K if they know about its whereabouts or last-known whereabouts.

I had the same hopes about the Museum pieces. Nobody knows what really happened to the stuff. Was it actually "boxed up" and "shipped back to Moscow"? Would Soviets invading Silesia care about pieces of fabric from a previous war, enough so that they'd be "officially" shipped back to Russia? Or would the house just be looted by ordinary invading soldiers, each of whom took whatever was on hand? Or was the lot just thrown away? And did KvR take the victory cups with her when she fled the advancing Soviets, and they are not actually in Russia?

That is an interesting topic Jim and would clearly be an investigative chore.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums