homepage

Pilots on leave

Posted By: Hayle55

Pilots on leave - 11/12/17 01:30 PM

How often were pilots given leave, and was it ever more than just a 48 hour pass?
Posted By: Raine

Re: Pilots on leave - 11/16/17 02:34 PM

As I understand it, in the RFC a 10 day leave usually came up after about three months of combat flying, although it might be deferred if there was a push on or if the unit had spent some time on home defence duties (e.g 46 and 56 Sqn). Short leaves might be granted as the OC Squadron saw fit, particularly if weather was poor or operations light. Then, of course, there could be convalescent leave after an injury. Most British officers headed for England. Colonials were slightly more inclined to see Paris on one of their leaves. For most British, however, the place was too full of Frenchmen.

The RNAS scheduled pilots off one day a week as a routine matter, and allowed home leave after about three months. Its officers frequently got home by destroyer instead of a plodding leave boat.

The Luftstreitkraefte seems to have been less regulated. A home leave of a week or two was possible after a few months at the front, and successful pilots were often allowed time off to attend things like aircraft trials, investitures, aircraft manufacturer-sponsored junkets, and other PR activities.

Re: Pilots on leave - 11/16/17 09:30 PM

Thank you for the reply. I guess after three months flying, I'll use advance date and give myself a two week leave.
Posted By: Raine

Re: Pilots on leave - 11/17/17 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hayle55
Thank you for the reply. I guess after three months flying, I'll use advance date and give myself a two week leave.

Honestly, I think that's the best way. The leave request has given me 48 hours and a one-week leave, but not enough for a proper piss-up in Blighty.

Re: Pilots on leave - 11/17/17 01:25 AM

Exactly that.
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Pilots on leave - 11/17/17 12:05 PM

That's how I've always handled the leave situation in OFF/WOFF. I've also sent pilots back to serve as instructors by advancing time several months while having them fly QC missions from one of the training dromes during that period.

© 2024 SimHQ Forums