homepage

Friendly Fire Is Real

Posted By: ARUP

Friendly Fire Is Real - 10/29/17 05:55 PM

My airman of Jasta 36 who had recently transferred to 'Richthofen's Circus' in Jagdgeschwader Nr. 1, an experienced combat veteran of over 75 missions flying Albatros D-types and Fokker Drls, was killed today. He ventured over a friendly army camp so that they could add their fire power to attacking Bristol two seaters. Ground reports detailed how he shot one attacker down and forced another to crash land. The others, four in number, flew off after our hero was downed. Ltn. Hermann Garztka, of German and Polish heritage, was a skilled combat veteran with 75 claims. He was credited with 36. He will be missed.

This is the second time I've lost a pilot this way. The first was when a DH-2 pilot, protecting a balloon, was downed while engaging attacking EA. C'est la vie!
Posted By: Polovski

Re: Friendly Fire Is Real - 10/29/17 06:18 PM

Thanks for the combat report ARUP. Damn those "friendly" ground troops - they sometimes get bored, jealous or just no idea if friend or foe, and shoot their own craft, just as it happened in the war.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: Friendly Fire Is Real - 11/04/17 03:45 PM

I have also lost a few to Friendly ground . I learned to stay high and dont follow them down over enemy ground troops.
Posted By: ARUP

Re: Friendly Fire Is Real - 11/05/17 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by carrick58
I have also lost a few to Friendly ground . I learned to stay high and dont follow them down over enemy ground troops.

S! Yessir Absolutely... do not fly over enemy ground forces unless flying one of those new Junkers metal planes with armor protection. I can't wait for one of those! salute
Posted By: Penfold_UK

Re: Friendly Fire Is Real - 11/19/17 10:08 PM

I imagine this was a thing in the war too. Check out this scene from the TV series 'Wings' https://youtu.be/qHjj4MM8BAw?t=2346
© 2024 SimHQ Forums