homepage

WOTR voice actors required

Posted By: Polovski

WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 03:06 PM

Hi guys,

As the subject says, if anyone has a few hours of time, and a some voice acting talent we may need you! pilot

We need a few guys to record more English officer pilot voices for radio messages. Must be mostly good "upper class" officer voices.
We have some good recordings already but we could use some others.
The people that get to do this we will send examples /script of course.

We can also do with one or two more German actors too for variety.

PM me please if interested.

This is a chance to star be in WOTR smile

pilot
Posted By: speck01

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 04:26 PM

I have zero voice acting talent to offer, but I just wanted to post and say how great it is you guys have found a way to improve on this aspect of the game!

Improving the terrible AI voice comms in the original game was something I was hoping you'd be able to pull off, it will really help with immersion to have some decent AI voice comms going on.

Wondering if it would be possible to randomize responses a bit more than other sims have done? Have the voice actor do a line in a couple of different ways, then have it be random as to which one is chosen?

Something like "he's all over you" - "lead, break!" - "behind you!" be one of three AI calls by the same actor for the same event, just randomly picked.

Of course I have no idea the work involved, so understand if that's not possible. Just figured if you have people coming in to do voice acting, might as well get them to do a few different version of the same response. Hope to be playing WOTR for a long time to come, so it would help in not getting too tired of hearing the same thing over and over again smile

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 04:56 PM

Thanks speck01. It will be as good as we can make it within reason, time, sanity etc. We already know the how and what - we just need the actors.
Posted By: Adger

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 05:14 PM

Hopefully there,s some good old fashioned English Bounders and cads about for the upper class voices.

I myself with my Potteries "Ay up Duck" dialect couldnt be further away from what your looking for POL biggrin

Best of luck with what your after,and best of luck going forwards with WOTR
Posted By: MFair

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 05:45 PM

My chance to be a star and I do not have the voice for it. Now if you want a good US southern drawl for the Eagle Squadron, I'm your man! biggrin

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 09:20 PM

Haha guys, indeed we will eventually need some US guys at some point - not sure about the Potteries wink
Posted By: OvStachel

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 10:09 PM

I got ya NY Seargent's voice right here...
I can also do several other American accents as well...

Let me know when you add them.

I can do Russian speaking English as well...comical, but effective

OvS
Posted By: Adger

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Polovski
Haha guys, indeed we will eventually need some US guys at some point - not sure about the Potteries wink

Haha you dont know what your missing out on Pol winkngrin
Posted By: speck01

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Polovski
Thanks speck01. It will be as good as we can make it within reason, time, sanity etc. We already know the how and what - we just need the actors.

I'm sure it will! Good luck with everything, hope you find a few takers
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/27/17 11:25 PM

Let me see, how about some good old Canadian Eh, and I'm sure Raine is the By who can provide the "down east" dialects and phrases for you.
Posted By: Raine

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/28/17 01:50 AM

Despite a half hour trying out my best "wizard prang, old boy" voice, I admit defeat.

I like Robert's suggestion of a Canadian East Coaster voice. A Newfoundlander would be just the thing. I can hear him now: "Lard t'underin', b'y! Dat Jerry's comin' aboard ye, buddy. Go on in out of it, or stay where you're to till I comes where you're at!" itsabeta

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/28/17 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Raine
Despite a half hour trying out my best "wizard prang, old boy" voice, I admit defeat.

I like Robert's suggestion of a Canadian East Coaster voice. A Newfoundlander would be just the thing. I can hear him now: "Lard t'underin', b'y! Dat Jerry's comin' aboard ye, buddy. Go on in out of it, or stay where you're to till I comes where you're at!" itsabeta

My god, That's it, That's it for sure Raine!!
Posted By: Tuesday

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/28/17 02:37 AM

Or a 'Caper

"I'll bloody well show you who yer father is b'y!"
Posted By: matmilne

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/28/17 04:26 AM

Damn this thick scotch accent!
Posted By: gaw1

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/28/17 11:18 AM

A shot at immortality.....and here I am w/ a voice like geese farting. Worked for Ry Cooder but maybe not here. Oh well.....
Posted By: Ace_Pilto

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/29/17 07:05 PM

I have a studio mic and can do a reasonably Officer class Australian voice if that would be useful to you.
Posted By: Russkly

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/30/17 04:29 PM

I'm up for that.
I've done voiceovers for promo vids before, and I'm English public school and Sandhurst educated so can pass as "posh"!.
I can also do German, if you're stuck for native speakers.

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/30/17 04:59 PM

Russkly, OK sounds good. Email me on support <at> Overflandersfields.com please.
Thanks.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/30/17 05:19 PM

wow, u guys do great voices too. Just a suggestion: A cockney or Scottish sounding voice might add for variety. Ground control Operations / tower or rescue should be a female voice. Now if I can just find the checkbook behindcouch
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 06/30/17 06:39 PM

I can serve only with Dark Blue World czEnglish (land...laend...lend...) smile
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 07/01/17 02:41 AM

Well, I'm a "yinzer" from Pittsburgh, so when you're ready for Americans... I can be reasonably dramatic, but TBH I've never liked my recorded voice. I can try though; maybe you'll like it.

And we must drag Herr Olham back here for some native German voiceovers. As much as he's contributed to the community, it'd be great to hear him on the radio. Anybody know where he hangs of late?

Now Matt Milne, by glory, a Scotsman right and true! Not that you haven't achieved WOFF immortality already with your superb musical production, but my it'd be great to hear. "Aye, laddie 'e's up your arse, don' ya ken?" (That's probably very bad attempted Scottish, but you get what I mean!) Somebody quick make up a pilot with a tam'o'shanter and a set of pipes!

I'm probably not helping much here. I'll get my hat, I can see myself out...!
Posted By: matmilne

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 07/01/17 07:11 PM

Well, born in dundee, 3 years in arbroath/forfar and 20 in the shire (Aberdeen). Obviously working with a lot of Americans, the accent has lost some of its localisation, but I dare say I can mak' it fit.
Posted By: Wodin

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 07/05/17 12:36 PM

I can do an English Upper Class accent.

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 07/07/17 03:01 AM

The lot of you are giving me the chuckles. I'm imagining the surpassing reserve and manners of Wodin's upper class Englishman frustrating matmilne's brawny Scotsman, and the both of them trying to deal with a Yank over the radio! Throw in Ace_Pilito's Aussie, Rob Wiggin's Canadian Down- Easter and even gaw1's geese farts and I can about imagine what it'd be like. Alas that we could never get that fine-grained in WOFF radio calls!

I had a chance about 12 years back to go to England on "business" - to help repair a generator on the Isle of Wight - and my first night there I found no "washcloths" in my hotel room. At least that's what we call them in the 'states - when I asked for them at the desk, the clerk looked at me as though I was speaking Klingon! And I'm standing there describing these things with my hands ("little squares of cloth") and how you soap them up, etc. and she says, "Oh! You mean a flannel!" and I look confused and reply, "Well, we make them from terrycloth in the 'states, but if you use flannel, that works..." - and it was clear she didn't know what terrycloth was - and I said "yes, it's got like bumpy... well, it's the same as the towels..." and she says "Oh yes! You can get them at Boots!" I'm confused - "Boots - the chemist!" and it finally clicked with me that this must be a pharmacy, health and beauty & stuff like a CVS or Walgren or Rite Aid in the USA. And we had a good laugh about two <ahem> English speaking people who couldn't understand one another over so simple a matter! "We don't put them in the rooms- they keep getting nicked." and again, it took a second to register, but that I understood.

Hope y'all got a chuckle as well.

BTW - I can do a pretty good American hillbilly, too.

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 07/07/17 12:52 PM

Lard tunderin begeesus us that was funny Drone!!
Posted By: stljeffbb

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 07/07/17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by HumanDrone
The lot of you are giving me the chuckles. I'm imagining the surpassing reserve and manners of Wodin's upper class Englishman frustrating matmilne's brawny Scotsman, and the both of them trying to deal with a Yank over the radio! Throw in Ace_Pilito's Aussie, Rob Wiggin's Canadian Down- Easter and even gaw1's geese farts and I can about imagine what it'd be like. Alas that we could never get that fine-grained in WOFF radio calls!

I had a chance about 12 years back to go to England on "business" - to help repair a generator on the Isle of Wight - and my first night there I found no "washcloths" in my hotel room. At least that's what we call them in the 'states - when I asked for them at the desk, the clerk looked at me as though I was speaking Klingon! And I'm standing there describing these things with my hands ("little squares of cloth") and how you soap them up, etc. and she says, "Oh! You mean a flannel!" and I look confused and reply, "Well, we make them from terrycloth in the 'states, but if you use flannel, that works..." - and it was clear she didn't know what terrycloth was - and I said "yes, it's got like bumpy... well, it's the same as the towels..." and she says "Oh yes! You can get them at Boots!" I'm confused - "Boots - the chemist!" and it finally clicked with me that this must be a pharmacy, health and beauty & stuff like a CVS or Walgren or Rite Aid in the USA. And we had a good laugh about two <ahem> English speaking people who couldn't understand one another over so simple a matter! "We don't put them in the rooms- they keep getting nicked." and again, it took a second to register, but that I understood.

Hope y'all got a chuckle as well.

BTW - I can do a pretty good American hillbilly, too.

Ha ha....nice one Human Drone!

I studied at the University of York as an international student in the fall of 1993. I will not belabor with all the "war" stories, but...

1) I went into a fish n chip shop...poor young woman was trying to greet me, and I just could not understand her....it was a sad ending to our conversation with me saying "I know we are both speaking English, but I just can't understand you" (thick Yorkshire accents threw me!)

2) I lived in James College for three months while at the university, and my flatmates always had a grand time translating for me into "American English"...I could at least understand them most of the time wink Kind of like what HumanDrone describes above, I had to often think of every possible meaning of a word to understand what was being said, and sometimes of course that did not even work.

3) I studied music, and I was always amazed at how different the chorale singing was compared to how they speak it

4) Concerning washcloths, I had never flown overseas before this trip, and when the flight attendants passed out washcloths in the early morning hours, I thought it was a breakfast burrito ( rofl )

5) I did not get a chance to see a whole lot while I was there (I did make it to London, Edinburgh, and Leeds, but that was it) ...I was very busy being involved in the "first-year" project for the music and theatre departments, a rendition of Benjamin Britten's Paul Bunyan, an operetta. Unbelievably ironic in that, coming from Michigan (where I grew up and spent much of my collegiate years), I was acting as a Swede (I was the bad guy, Hel Helson; I'm pretty sure the young Britten made him up), in a play about the upper midwest USA (where I come from), while in England. biggrin

I absolutely LOVED my time in England...such a great place, and I'm fortunate to have had the opportunity. I recommend studying in a different geographical place and culture to all the collegiate-aged students I come across.

Regards,

Jeff

PS Midwest US voice for me, but I do not have much in the way of recording equipment, and there are likely others who would do better and are more suitably equipped...
Posted By: JimAttrill

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 07/10/17 11:33 AM

Well if you want any ground crew voices, I was RAF ground crew for a few years and can still do the Sarfend accent I had at the time. Not good at the zobbit stuff tho

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 07/10/17 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by stljeffbb

4) Concerning washcloths, I had never flown overseas before this trip, and when the flight attendants passed out washcloths in the early morning hours, I thought it was a breakfast burrito ( rofl )

Jeff, I got a kick out of yours as well, but that above reminded me of the time I was invited to a baseball game by a company that had one of those luxury suites. My brother-in-law came with me. Now let me tell you, that's how to watch a game! So about the third inning, they bring the food. "Wraps" we call them in the US, kinda like a Greek gyro, a bunch of stuff rolled up in a flatbread or tortilla. Well, I thought, this is kicking it up a notch! They've used blue corn tortillas for their wraps! Nice touch of color! So this is how the other half does it up!" And I tuck into that bad boy and I'm like, "Man - they go to all that trouble to look fancy with these blue corn torillas and the things are all tough and dried out. Sheesh. You'd think a fancy deal like this the food would be fresh!"

As I got almost to the bottom, the last of the folded purple wrapping paper came off in my hand... I thought my brother-in-law would choke laughing...
Posted By: Ace_Pilto

Re: WOTR voice actors required - 07/13/17 06:04 AM

Nobody ever told me there was such a thing as a breakfast burrito. I've just found my next IRL side-quest.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums