homepage

absolutely awful......

Posted By: gaw1

absolutely awful...... - 09/12/16 08:35 PM

Good Gravy......latched onto what I thought was an EA....dusk...crimson sliver of sun blindingly in my windsheild....looping up and over following I poured a heavy volley into my own wingman thinking he was a bad chap and only realized my mistake as his busted wings with friendly roundels blew past the cockpit.....I felt absolutely awful.....still do. Love this sim....other sim blunders can be passed off as "Oh, well"....carry on......but I feel....well, absolutely awful. Good on you Devs.....Keep the Faith
Posted By: Banjoman

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/12/16 08:54 PM

What happened? I've been curious as to how the sim handles "friendly" fire.
Posted By: loftyc

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/12/16 10:01 PM

I don't envy the trip you'll need to make over to his squadron to explain, but hopefully they'll be able to forgive...
Posted By: rockmedic109

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/12/16 10:04 PM

Did you put in a claim?
Posted By: gaw1

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/12/16 10:31 PM

Rock......you're a bad influence!! I actually looked to be reprimanded in the "Details" screen for after action summaries...no action. But you bring up a great point.....how about we're punished for killing friendlies? I think it was part of the original CFS3 code??? Maybe it's already implemented and I've not paid attention...but Sh--Fi--...I should be dragged over the coals for murdering my wingman. Part of WOFF UE...maybe Unacceptable Explanations!

Loftyc......I'll expect the worst, hope for the best. Cheers all you WOFF'ers
Posted By: zifnow

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/12/16 11:07 PM

Red Baron I, not sure if II too, get you in front of a firing squad if you did that more than once.

Also, if you put more than one burst in a friendly they retaliate and engage you.... good old games yep
Posted By: CatKnight

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/13/16 02:16 AM

Banjo: Friendly fire definitely counts. I know for a fact a 'friend' and I were chasing the same baddie and he put a few holes in me by mistake.

Gaw - I think I did get reprimanded once, though that was 'just' a careless shot.
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/14/16 02:52 AM

@gaw1 - Getting reprimanded wasn't in the original CFS3 code, or even the ETO add-on from days of yore. My brother-in-law, who is an even worse aviator than I am, loves the Bf109 and has always admired his German heritage; but he'd get so screwed up in QC he couldn't latch onto an enemy, so he's go after his own guys, saying "I'm in a mean mood today!" or "He never payed me those 20 Deutschmarks he borrowed from me! And was just tickled pink to hear the radio calls in German to "Cease fire! These are friendly units!"

Not exactly the kind of simmers we are, but he realizes it's just a computer...!

Of course, what am I saying? I never flew ETO in campaign mode - still at least in QC, there was no reprimand.
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/14/16 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: rockmedic109
Did you put in a claim?

Priceless! biggrin
Posted By: Nietzsche

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/14/16 03:23 PM

hmmm... usually, one gets the the Message "Your doubtful actions will be reported to..." or some similar Version of "Do that again and you'll be in Trouble" on the Mission-Summary...
Posted By: Dezh

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/14/16 08:37 PM

It undoubtedly happened 'in the day' Gaw. Don't beat yourself up about it. You'll probably be on the receiving end one day. I have been.

In fact, IIRC, there was a recorded episode where a French aircraft downed a British one.
Posted By: CatKnight

Re: absolutely awful...... - 09/18/16 10:50 PM

For that matter that's why the Americans were asked to change their roundels: At range the Brits/French kept confusing them with Germans.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums