homepage

Show off your Rig

Posted By: Alpenman

Show off your Rig - 01/09/16 08:36 PM

Hey all,

I thought it might be kind of cool for some to show what their setup looks like!

I just upgraded to a 34" ultra wide. It took a bit of fiddling with the fovup and fovdown values for each aircraft, but it is absolutely gorgeous in the end!

Posted By: Banjoman

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/09/16 09:50 PM

Now your just showing off. neaner
Posted By: MFair

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/09/16 10:50 PM

Here is my rig.

Posted By: Raine

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/10/16 05:09 AM

MFair, that is just TOO sweet. The only thing I can think of to top your Man Throne would be if your whole setup were located deep inside a volcano on WOFF Island!
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/10/16 03:12 PM

My kit has not changed much for the last couple of years.

[Linked Image]

(right-click and open the image in a new window if you'd like to view it full size)

Attached picture Lous_Flying_Room_Jan_2016_001.jpg

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/10/16 03:29 PM

You still win first prize for class Lou! Raine, since I did not win the lottery, the cave is out of the question at the moment
Posted By: Olham

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/10/16 03:49 PM

Lou and MFair, you guys must be first and second rank.
I guess Lou wins, because of the original French uniform.
Posted By: Alpenman

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/10/16 04:11 PM

Looks like I've got to get myself some memorabilia!

Nice 'pits fellows!
Posted By: Hauksbee

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/10/16 09:39 PM

Here's the new cockpit in Wisconsin. To my immediate left is a sliding glass door that faces directly west. Lots of sun after noontime, but there's a curtain for missions flown in late afternoon.
Posted By: MudWasp

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/10/16 09:54 PM

Kewl rustic table yep
Wazz up with Logitech?
Just more buttons and a throttle while using the other stick?
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/17/16 04:05 AM

Here's mine, kinda traditional. That is a nice table, Hauksbee!

Posted By: Andy73

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/18/16 10:12 AM

This is my flying Station. With a bottle of German Beer, as it should be :-)

Posted By: lederhosen

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/18/16 01:45 PM

ahhhh its full of ww2 planes......traitor!!
Posted By: Andy73

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/18/16 02:05 PM

No Comment.

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/18/16 04:54 PM

Somebody's a Bf109 fan! It's my brother-in-law's favorite aircraft as well. He bought an old Airfix E2/E4 plastic kit in 1/24th scale and we're supposed to build it. That, and about 6 other kits I've had laying around since time immemorial... It's been sitting for about a year or year and a half; other than order some brass add-ons, I haven't done a thing with it.

(and then I looked back and realized the 109's are not the main subject, the Fw-190 is...)
Posted By: Stache

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/07/16 08:12 PM

With the warmer weather hoping to get a coat of paint on - hmm fly or paint..
All self contained - quick detach monitor(s) - folds up for transport.

Wire management after painting.
Posted By: CCIP

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/08/16 07:28 AM

Here's my current improvised WOFFing setup smile
Posted By: Jammer28

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/08/16 09:58 AM

I used a flash but it's still kinda dark.

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/08/16 10:16 AM

Here is my provisional cockpit from a month ago. Now I have replaced those boards
(which were only just held by clamps) with a board of Akacia wood, suiting with
the table. The board can be pulled out or moved in, like a drawer. Very nice now!

Nice to see everyone's individual cockpits! Some though would not have passed
the brassheads rules and regulations for orderly cockpits, I guess. biggrin

Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/08/16 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Hauksbee
Here's the new cockpit in Wisconsin. To my immediate left is a sliding glass door that faces directly west. Lots of sun after noontime, but there's a curtain for missions flown in late afternoon.

Well I thought I had a pretty good set-up but you guys make me feel like a punk!
But I guess I have to ask: Whats up with the toilet brush?

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/08/16 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
...I have to ask: Whats up with the toilet brush?

Haha! Isn't that a dust brush rather?
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/08/16 11:10 AM

Okay we will call it a...uhh..."dust brush" then but I hope it is, at least, new!

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/06/16 03:27 AM

I now have a center mount joystick (instead of the side mounted.)

Posted By: Mr_Dirt

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/06/16 03:07 PM

Lou where is the throttle handle made with a half of a pair of pliers. I do not see it there! It must be in a special place inside your museum that you have there. I remeber when you made that throttle a while back.
Posted By: Sandbagger

Re: Show off your Rig - 11/02/16 06:54 PM

Hi all,
Just got my new rig for WOFF up and running. Thought you might want to see it.

Posted By: dutch

Re: Show off your Rig - 11/02/16 06:56 PM

Sandbagger how does Woff run on TWO GTX1080 Vcards?

Re: Show off your Rig - 11/02/16 06:57 PM

In case you're wondering what I use the big screen for driving

Re: Show off your Rig - 11/02/16 06:59 PM

Hi Dutch,
As you'd expect it runs very well, but I think the monitor refresh rate limits it to rock solid 60 FPS with everything max'd out.
Sat close to the curved screen adds much to the immersion of WOFF yep
Posted By: Adger

Re: Show off your Rig - 11/02/16 07:33 PM

That is one brilliant setup Sandbagger..next stop a 144hz GSync monitor biggrin

Can you imagine WOFF UE running at a smooth 144fps. Awesome
Posted By: Lausbub78

Re: Show off your Rig - 12/31/16 12:45 PM

Here is what I use,I admit it looks a bit modern for just flying WoFF. But I like to fly other sims aswell. It is still missing a second screen in the center dashboard though.

Re: Show off your Rig - 12/31/16 01:13 PM

Holy schnikee! Lausbub78 your set-up, and for that matter Sanbagger's as well, are phenomenal. So cutting edge.

Re: Show off your Rig - 12/31/16 02:42 PM

Yes Lausbub78 that is an impressive setup.
I've been toying with the idea of getting into custom panels.
Posted By: Lausbub78

Re: Show off your Rig - 12/31/16 03:24 PM

Thanks guys. Been a long way till I got there. The Throttle was the last part I added,after a long search for something that would fit my needs.

Stache, I use three Leo Bodnar controller boards,the throttle quadrant runs on one of them. Those boards are pretty much straight forward and easy to use. There are also versions where you don't need to solder anything. Except for soldering wiring to switches,but not to the board itself. They use push-in conectors. Hardest part was to find a good layout for the buttons and switches.

Edit: I forgot to mention,that for WoFF a controller needs atleast a X and Y axis. Otherwise it will no be seen as controller by the sim. Every other sim works without problems. I saw you are using Thrustmaster MFD's,I guess they don't work too in WoFF and you need to program them in TARGET to use key inputs?

Re: Show off your Rig - 12/31/16 07:54 PM

Yeah I have heard a lot about the Bodnar boards.

That is correct I use Target to define the key inputs.
Even if the would work - using Target makes more sense, easier to just use standard mappings for sims and have different Target scripts for each.

For Xmas I got a little screen to put behind a MFD.
I plan to program some graphics so I have it apply to WOFF and then change for other sims, rather than changing the slide in preprinted card.
Will see how far I get...
Posted By: CW3SF

Re: Show off your Rig - 01/01/17 03:51 PM

My rig is old and not "multi stuff" ! Just a Origin "Silver Stone" desk top, a pair of very old BOSE speakers
and a 16000 stick. All is on a very small build in slide out desk within our 36 foot 5th Wheel RV. I fly only at night making sure my wife's reading light behind me is on low intensity and keeping the volume down is a must. The good news is I get to spend the winter in Arizona and the summer in Steamboat Springs Colorado.
I almost forgot to mention my new benQ screen.

I would say that some of your "rigs" come close to our total size of 400 sq Feet.

Re: Show off your Rig - 03/18/17 05:27 PM

While waiting for my new VKB Gunfighter Pro joystick to ship, I happened to notice a sale at Newegg.
Been waiting for the price of the Acer XB41HU to drop and this was the lowest I'd see it, plus it had 3 day shipping for $10.

Still have some tweaking to do, but here is the first attempt - 7680 x 1440 - Six (6) feet wide.
Need to figure out how to get screen shots with nvidia surround active.
Next year Dayton trip should be fun, I am building a new system for my friend James who helped us out last year.
Should have two high powered systems there.

I can SEE ! dancinfools

[Linked Image]

Attached picture DSCF8060 (Large).JPG
Posted By: ArisFuser

Re: Show off your Rig - 03/18/17 05:35 PM

Simply...wow! thumbsup

Re: Show off your Rig - 03/18/17 07:52 PM

Mike, that is unbelievable! I hope I can be there next year as well. You did a fantastic job there, glad I was bale to pitch in a little wee bit anyway.
Posted By: AceMedic88

Re: Show off your Rig - 03/18/17 08:44 PM

Wow...looks like I may have a new hobby

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/20/17 07:52 PM

Got my new VKB Gunfighter Pro stick.. I like it a lot.. much better feel having to move the stick around so much.
[Linked Image]

Attached picture DSCF8144 (Medium).JPG
Attached picture DSCF8146 (Medium).JPG

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/21/17 12:25 PM

Stashe,
That is over the top! Beautiful!

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/21/17 12:40 PM

Wowzers Stache, that is stellar!
Posted By: AceMedic88

Re: Show off your Rig - 05/26/17 09:36 PM

Nothing too special with my set up. The Saitek rudder pedals are underneath. Comfortable and cozy.

Attached picture Rig?.jpg

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/15/18 01:51 AM

My pit has a new skin smile2
Been busy in the past year and a half.
Next will be to add more custom electronics - them WW2 birds have more switches.
This will be at Dayton - If I am able to make it.
[Linked Image]

Attached picture DSCF9563 (Medium).JPG
Posted By: lederhosen

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/15/18 08:19 AM

holy s...
Posted By: Dark_Canuck

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/15/18 11:14 AM

That. Is. Beautiful.
Posted By: Hauksbee

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/15/18 06:33 PM

Just realized that, back when this thread was young, and I posted a pic of my lash-up, there was a white toilet brush lying on the floor next to where my right foot would be. Someone ('don't remember who) asked what that was about. Now, after all this time, the truth is out: It's a brand new, never used, never saw the inside of a bathroom,...wait for it...back scratcher.
Posted By: OvStachel

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/22/18 03:17 AM

@Stache... what LED monitors are you using?

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/24/18 09:18 PM

Hi OvStachel,

The three main displays are Acer Predators
XB271HU 27" WQHD IPS NVIDIA G-Sync Black/Red Gaming Monitor, 2560X1440 (2K), 144 Hz w/ Overclocking to 165 Hz,

The Center display is ASUS VT207N 19.5" HD+ 1600x900 DVI VGA USB Back-lit LED TouchScreen Monitor

The two side monitors for the button panels are: Lilliput Um-80/c/t 8" 4:3 LCD Monitor Touch Screen

The Acers (Display Port) and Asus (dvi) are driven off the NVidia 980ti

Nvidia Surround is used to combine the three Acers to a resolution of 7780 x 1440.

Refresh is locked to 85Hz

Re: Show off your Rig - 08/23/20 05:48 PM

Hi,

Bumping this thread.

Have see a lot of new names in the forum - anyone want to show their rig?
Posted By: kksnowbear

Re: Show off your Rig - 08/23/20 10:50 PM

Well, it's not the vision of masterful craftsmanship that yours is; but - as the thread doesn't specify it has to be a finished build or an actual sim pit...

Here's one of the setups I'm working on right now, specifically as a 'giant killer': A high percentage (90-95%+) of the performance of high-end current generation setups (i.e., 9th gen CPU/20-series GPU), and at a much lower cost (~65-75%, depending on options/extras, etc) - a difference that can easily leave $200-400 in your pocket, while still bringing performance smile

Description: "Giant Killer"
Attached picture 20200820_153825a.jpg
Posted By: epower

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/18/20 09:18 PM

Props to Stache for inspiring, or provoking if I'm honest, the purchase of the SopGrip and for helping with the Joystick Gremlin setup. The Blip switch gets no use in game now that I'm flying an SE.5 in the DID campaign but it works well as a track IR centering switch.

The longer stick throw took some getting used to after years of H.O.T.A.S but I'm now a huge fan of the spade style grip, especially when I need to change the Lewis drum. That's the overhanging desk lamp that's not pictured smile

The wood on the first generation Slaw BF-109 pedals is temporary until I can fabricate a rudder bar attachment. Heels on the floor, forefoot on the pedal makes for much more accurate fine adjustments than having the entire foot in the pedal.

The Pedals and stick assembly are on a finished 3/4" plywood base which makes it easy to slide the entire thing out of the way when it's time for regular desk work. Cleaner expedient than using the Slaw pedals as a footrest when I was setup for H.O.T.A.S. The USB broke and I had to learn how to solder circuit boards. Valuable flying time wasted!

Warthog throttle is what it is. A blunt instrument. Functional if not the best design for prop sims. I tightened up the wiggle in the throw by fattening up the throttle lever cams with foil tape. Works like a charm. I'd be tempted by the Tampier throttle HERE were it not for the need to take screenshots with the left hand. At some point I'll complete the mods I started on my old cougar or break down and give GVL224 a call.

Specs:
VKB Gunfighter Pro (#50 & #30 springs both axes)
Slaw BF-109 Pedals 1st generation, modified.
Warthog Throttle
TrackIR 4
Asus PB328 Monitor 2560x1440

Attached picture WOFF Setup.jpg

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/19/20 01:08 AM

Looking good epower.
Very clean setup.

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/19/20 12:11 PM

Epower, as Stache said, a very clean set-up. And I love that Sopwith grip! To your point about rudder control, I keep the heels of my feet on the base of my Saitek foot pedals rather than having feet fully on the pedals. Socks or smooth bottomed slippers work great and give me very fine control of the rudder.

kk, looking at that current build you show I keep thinking, "Flux Capacitor". Very "Back to the Future". smile2

Posted By: kksnowbear

Re: Show off your Rig - 09/19/20 01:03 PM

Thanks Lou smile It is admittedly a mess of wires and components in the current state...but that's how I do all my bench setups; makes them easier to work with, and allows me to support a basically unlimited number of builds 'in work' even though I only have 4 'workstations'.

The real beauty of this build is not the fit or finish (obviously biggrin )...although it will be clean when actually built into a chassis, the real beauty in this project is performance, by design. That build already competes very capably with some of the newest, high-end stuff on the market at a fraction of the cost. But, in the last couple days, I actually changed it up a bit and got even more out of it. It looks like it could actually outperform some 9700k/RTX2080 setups, maybe more. Still maybe a couple hundred bucks less, too.

That, to me, is beauty in it's own right smile

Here's the same base setup but I changed to 2 MSI 1070Ti GPUs. Had to hit the brakes though as I'm pushing the limits of even a good 750W PSU smile

Attached picture 20200919_090943.jpg
© 2024 SimHQ Forums