homepage

No man's sky...?

Posted By: Dunolde

No man's sky...? - 09/03/15 07:49 PM

Just wondering what the general feeling about No Man's Sky is?
Posted By: kludger

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/04/15 06:46 PM

I was impressed at last year's E3, but the gameplay they have shown since and even at this years E3 still looks the same, i.e. not very deep or meaningful...

So my general feeling on it went from cool to it looks like this might be a case of overhype.

Unless there is something to do on those planets worth doing or in those systems then it will be pretty boring IMHO, and this is a very small indy developer so I really worry they just don't have the manpower or money to flesh it out.
Posted By: Coot

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/04/15 10:13 PM

I'm still somewhat excited about it. However that being said, I saw a short clip of one of the developers showing it off at some event and it was almost embarrassing to watch. The presentation seemed awkward and very anti-climatic like "that's it"?

Looks fun but there needs to be things to do to keep it engaging. I'm starting to worry that this will actually be just a walking simulator game with a neat procedural design to the game. So I would like to see more of what supposedly makes this a game. I did see guns and such so hopefully it'll pan out.
Posted By: Master

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/05/15 01:41 AM

I stopped caring when it went from PC exclusive to PS4 exclusive with no real plans for PC release.

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/05/15 04:51 PM

Ooh I had not heard that. That's a bummer move man. nope
Posted By: Dunolde

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/05/15 05:48 PM

Yeah, it looks to be the same old same old no matter what parts(s) of it they show. An enormous proceduraly generated universe with not much to do, but do it over again and again.
Posted By: HeinKill

Re: No man's sky...? - 01/11/16 02:57 PM

Only just heard about this and natural comparison for me is to Star Citizen...

I get they are completely different games, but I was immediately struck with No Man's Sky that it seems like a potentially very empty experience. I mean the main attraction of MMPORG is virtual interaction with other players in teams, or competing against each other. I watched a No Mans Sky dev saying that while you can run into other players, given the scale of the universe the chances of that happening are 'almost zero'.

So what is the point of the game after you have visited the first few planets and named a few planets, suns and species?

- can you multicrew the ships (with either AI or human crew)? I guess it might be something if each time you go to a planet there is a risk of one or more of you dying
- can you upgrade your ship (and to what purpose?)
- can you build stuff?
- can you build fleets of ships to explore further, faster
- do you have to defend your planet and systems against aliens?
- or other human players (apparently not...)
- I have seen other ships flying around in the gameplay videos, are they AI or human? I guess they must be AI given the comment above, so what is the point of them? Or are they locals?

I can see this game getting rather boring rather quickly without the element of human interaction.

If you watch the Stephen Colbert interview, he struggles to get excited about it, and the demo just shows the guy wandering from plaent to planet, naming stuff.

I guess I expected something like minecraft on a planetary exploration scale, but it looks more like an endless tour of pretty tropical fish tanks.

H

Re: No man's sky...? - 01/15/16 06:11 AM

I saw a clip from one of their presentations at one of those game conventions. The presenter or the way it was presented was low-energy, not much enthusiasm from the speaker and when they showcased a gameplay mechanic that they were building up, it fell pretty anti-climatically and almost as if you could hear folks in the audience, "Did I miss it? Was that it?"

I don't know what the deal is but you'd think they'd spare no expense getting the right team to show off their project to the world. It almost seems like they were unprepared. Maybe that's not fare as I did not watch the whole thing, I just remember it not being interesting.

I hope its good but I'm starting to wonder about the game and the folks behind it. I'd also prefer a PC version. If its only going to be a PS4 version I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. I would think most gamers interested in a title like this would be pc gamers/simmers.
Posted By: JimBobb

Re: No man's sky...? - 05/15/16 06:09 AM

fan trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qLxmL7ansA
Posted By: Genbrien

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/31/16 05:53 PM

what is the cheapest place to buy it?
so far on Steam it's 66$ Cad (50$ us)

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/31/16 06:44 PM

I think steam is the cheapest unless you go with one of those 3rd party cd key sites.

If you go to the official site they show everywhere they are officially selling the PC version online.

They all list as 59.99 for me
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/
https://www.gog.com/game/no_mans_sky
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/no-mans-sky

Except this one which is very expensive...
http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/no-mans-sky/products/no-mans-sky-explorers-edition

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/31/16 09:28 PM

thx, I'll take it from Steam's Store.

seems that an early leak happened, and that the game, from the leaker point of view, is a bit disapointing.
I had high hope for NMS and dont want to spoil me things, so I don't really want to see leaked gameplay wich makes me 50/50 for the preorder....
Still 9 days to go

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/01/16 05:17 AM

Click to reveal..
The guy who got the early copy was for PS4. He got to the center of the galaxy in 30 hours of game play. He saw about 45 worlds. All of them had some sort of life (small rodents or something) but he never found a "green" planet.

He wont say what happens when he got to the center though. Lots of speculation on what happened but the guy never confirmed it. Says he doesnt want to spoil it for people. But as more people get their hands on the ps4 version you can guarantee it will be spoiled.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/01/16 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Genbrien
thx, I'll take it from Steam's Store.

seems that an early leak happened, and that the game, from the leaker point of view, is a bit disapointing.
I had high hope for NMS and dont want to spoil me things, so I don't really want to see leaked gameplay wich makes me 50/50 for the preorder....
Still 9 days to go

I watched that leaked gameplay video, and didn't feel like it spoiled anything I hadnt already seen in the official trailer videos, and to be honest the leaked video increased my interest in the game.

I'm waiting for Day 0 reviews to make sure the game has some depth and isn't just boring/repetitive after the first hour, but overall what I saw in the leaked video I really liked.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/08/16 02:25 PM

They dropped the day one patch last night. v1.03

It changes everything about the starting galaxy as well as rebalances the game significantly. Lots of people are saying the game is vastly improved to what people were playing before the official release.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/09/16 04:53 PM

I was hoping to play it today but it seems that the PC version got delayed to the 12th frown

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/09/16 05:52 PM

Reviews are starting to come out:
http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/9...review-10-hours

Polygon... so take it for what it's worth...
Posted By: Snap

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/09/16 05:56 PM

Sandbox survival game.

It's like a 3D Starbound without crafting.
:P

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/09/16 09:37 PM

Confirmed it doesnt have multiplayer

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4wxydf/im_about_to_meet_another_player_seriously/

Two people are in the same system in the same space station and cant see each other.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/09/16 10:55 PM

Guh.

I'll pass.
Posted By: Moses

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/10/16 12:13 AM

i returned my preorder hope they will take it back
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/10/16 01:07 AM

Different Strokes for Different Folks....

I am happy this has no multiplayer... I can explore in peace. biggrin

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/10/16 12:48 PM

well... it was said months ago that it was not a multiplayer game

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/10/16 01:30 PM

well... it was said months ago that it was not a multiplayer game

But right after every one of those mentions they clarified it and said is has multiplayer you just wont find another human.

Now we know that isnt true. If it was never supposed to be multiplayer why would they say that. And as soon as they knew it wasnt going to be why wouldnt they say that.

They just wanted to continue to drum up presales IMO. They knew it wouldnt be MP on launch for a while now and just didnt care that they were basically lying to players. This is probably mostly a Sony PR issue.

Either way though there is no mp right now in game.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/11/16 01:23 PM

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-limited-edition-box-has-online-play-icon-hidden-under-sticker

I think its just a situation where MP wasnt ready on ship date. Hope they add it down the road.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/12/16 06:55 PM

Well that's off to a great start! Currently a 'mostly negative' status on Steam. Lots of people can't even get it to run.Maybe the servers are under heavy load.Looks like the GoG version is also picking up a lot of negative reviews.I'm sure it will settle down.

I just want to hear from you guys what it's really like.Steam reviews are not where I go to get my info normally.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/12/16 07:06 PM

Live stream for PC version on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/gregs2k2/live

Guy seems to be running stable.

Another: https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=kUN9_OowibY

Posted By: Deacon211

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/12/16 09:36 PM

Well it needs some work but I like it from the "beer and pretzels" standpoint.

The inventory really suffers from the cross platform design as it always does. No dragging and dropping, tooltips don't change with remapping. Currently can't remap the middle mouse button so you can't discard anything.

It can be a bit tedious with the limited space to gather artifacts, which are plentiful and valuable, and elements and you are soon juggling stacks of inventory the hard way.

I haven't gotten into space yet (due to having no room for repair elements) but I believe that there is no joystick support as well, which is unfortunate.

But it's still kind of cool wandering the alien world, finding creepy caves, seeing weird creatures. I can certainly see myself killing a few hours here and there getting lost in the universe.
Posted By: Deacon211

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/13/16 12:39 PM

Oh, this was a showstopper for me but found a fix:

I couldn't drop items because I had a two button Razer Synapse with a clickable scroll wheel. But the scroll wheel wouldn't function as intended and it can't be remapped.

It occurred to me to look at the Razer control panel that comes with every Razer mouse. Default settings have the Scroll Button set to "On the Fly Sensitivity". If you change it to "Scroll Click" (the closest I could come to a "Mid Mouse Button" selection), it will function as a true Middle Mouse Button and will work as advertised in game.

Don't know if anyone else has found this yet, but none of the threads I found online seem to have an answer.

Hope this helps.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/13/16 12:58 PM

I caved in and bought it (GoG version) and I'm quite enjoying it so far. I was browsing the Steam forums last night (stay away if you value your sanity) and boy were there some angry peeps. Everyone who couldn't run it left bad reviews,it's slowly starting to recover now though.

I saw lots of people with really high-end rigs suffering poor frames but so far (GTX970) game-play is nice and fluid with just the odd stutter here and there.

I scratched my head on how to re-start a new game until I found this tip.

Delete all the contents of the 'Hello Games' folder found at C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming.
Posted By: JoeyJoJo

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/13/16 01:53 PM

I've been watching a few streams but it all seems very repetitive; is there ANY combat with AI/NPC's; or anything other than mining?

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/15/16 10:34 AM

There are 'Sentinels' that patrol the planet and if they attack you you have to destroy them quickly to prevent reinforcements. They can have varying attributes depending on the planet you spawn on.I've been attacked fairly early on in one try but on a restart I was left alone.When you spawn in you can see basic info on the planet such as Sentinel behaviour/flora/fauna.I find them annoying so a weapon upgrade is in order to take them down quickly. I also see squadrons of ships fly over but so far they have left me alone.

I did have a trip into space which ended badly but quite honestly there seems to be so much to do on the current planet I'm on I could spend ages on it.It does help if your spawn planet has lots of Heridium close by as you need that to repair your ship.

Some stuff I discovered so far (and I feel I'm only just scratching the surface)

You can jetpack up sheer surfaces without using fuel so you can get to the top of those Heridium deposits for a great view.

You can remote call your ship from certain bases that have that feature.

Quite honestly,people who say there is nothing to do in this game either haven't played it or are unable to immerse themselves into an open world type of game.I do not regret the purchase.In fact I'm off out to buy an X-Box controller as I hear it's better for overall control.
Posted By: Brun

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/15/16 11:10 AM

See what you make of it after the realisation that what you do on one planet is repeated *literally* indefinitely smile

All the fanfare about how an indie dev created a galaxy of 18 quintillion planets is moot when the gameplay apparently doesn't change in the slightest between them.

The problem with the 'openworld-ness' of these games isn't so much lack of narrative, but not being able to escape from the homogeneity which completely destroys the illusion of how enormous the universe supposedly is. For example the interior of every space station I've seen so far is aesthetically very similar and functionally identical.

I don't even think the procedural planet generation is all that special, lacking obvious features such as poles or indeed any sort of regional variation. No planetary map or a way to distinguish what/where you've already discovered is a pretty glaring omission as well.

After spending a fair amount of time with it since Friday, my glass is very much half empty. I hate the thought of repeating what I've already done for another hundred or so hours before being presented with an inevitably underwhelming conclusion.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/15/16 12:45 PM

I guess I'm still in the 'honeymoon period'.Lot's of learning and things to see at the moment. Time will tell.To be honest,the size of the play area is moot as you will never ever get to see a fraction of it.It might have been better to have made it much smaller and add other content to it.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/15/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Brun

I don't even think the procedural planet generation is all that special, lacking obvious features such as poles or indeed any sort of regional variation. No planetary map or a way to distinguish what/where you've already discovered is a pretty glaring omission as well.

IIRC Sean said that they made it that way to force people to explore multiple planets.
If 1 planet had multile biomes like the Earth you would spend too much time on 1 planet discovering it all

I too would love to have planets with multiplebiomes but I see his point
Anyway, lots of features are comming in the comming months/year, maybe they'll rethink about that
Posted By: Peally

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/15/16 02:13 PM

Procedural generation, crafting, insane hype for an average looking game, etc. I hate to say I told you so but I called this release a loooooooong time ago. The bugs will be ironed out but the gameplay is not there and likely never really will be.

I'm like a game prophet.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/16/16 11:55 PM

I may get it someday if and when it goes cheap but I'm glad I didn't pre-order or snag it up day one. Yes the Steam forums for NMS is entertaining in itself lol. That being said, many of the complaints are real and justified and some others not so much.(such as giving a bad review just because you're having pc trouble)

But the more I look at these videos with that developer Sean guy the more I want to smack that goofy aw shucks smile off his face. I've watched multiple videos now where he does not give a straight answer to questions given. The whole thing comes off as deceptive behavior. I don't care if the game can do some things and not others. No one likes to be strung along or misguided about a product. Its also telling when all of a sudden a big outfit like Sony comes in to back it as well as the game prelaunch was making the rounds on late night shows and all that crap. I think part of it is that its also an agenda of the power elite to keep the masses "space-minded" as part of a conditioning for the things to come. Its a small tool being used for the greater deception that is coming.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/17/16 11:17 AM

Someone at Reddit devoted a lot of time to research trailers and gameplay features which were promised but aren't included. The account and post are deleted today, but can still be seen here
https://web.archive.org/web/20160816191001/https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

I resisted the preorder when it came up on GOG, and from what I see at that link it was the right decision. What's left may still have worked as a 20 or maybe 40 bucks "indie early access" title, but it appears they are selling half of the promised content/gameplay at full price.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/17/16 01:02 PM

This has gone similarly to the new X Rebirth game.... so much hype, but the release was meh. I learned my lesson early on and managed to avoid X:R, so it was easier to avoid NMS.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/17/16 01:23 PM

Did you get X:R 4.0 yet? wink I actually find it quite enjoyable. And it only took almost three years... so maybe NMS in 2018 will be considered a classic.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/17/16 01:35 PM

Not after being spoiled by X3, I don't think I'll ever get X:R until it's free. frown
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/21/16 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Did you get X:R 4.0 yet? wink I actually find it quite enjoyable. And it only took almost three years... so maybe NMS in 2018 will be considered a classic.

Are they ever going to add Track IR support?

After Albion I can't play X without it. frown

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/22/16 01:20 PM

Total tangent but I feel like without cockpits the X games would be disorienting as all heck with TrackIR. Reminds me of the time I tried it as infantry in arma.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/22/16 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally
Total tangent but I feel like without cockpits the X games would be disorienting as all heck with TrackIR. Reminds me of the time I tried it as infantry in arma.

That's why there are cockpit mods for X3 AP. smile

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/22/16 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally

You get used to it in Arma and just like when you first started using it at some point it become second nature in a FPS like arma.

You do have to keep the recenter button handy though.

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/22/16 05:57 PM

Yeah I couldn't get used to it and the Alt key ended up being much more intuitive. Might be something to do with not having any reference points other than the rifle but it ended up being more work than it was worth. No biggie I survived biggrin

Re: No man's sky...? - 08/23/16 11:22 AM

I'm just trying out a mod for NMS called 'Low Flight' which modifies the hand-holding of the std ship and allows you to finally fly low/through canyons etc. Just needs a careful touch as obviously you can now take damage from the terrain.

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/lowflight-by-hytek-packed/

**Edit** New version now allows you to hover.

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/21/16 04:52 AM

So did this one fizzle out?

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/21/16 07:50 AM

Looks like it.It was starting to get a bit tedious,although I was enjoying it and may give it another go if other things get added.

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/21/16 06:17 PM

going to wait a good year before touching it again

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/21/16 06:44 PM

I would give it 5 or 6, then you'll have a competent AAA quality title to replace it biggrin
Posted By: Eugene

Re: No man's sky...? - 10/15/16 09:45 PM

Exploring, but every place has already been explored and has bases scattered across the surface.
Except for humans?
Must be a lot of alien civilizations out there!
Where are they?
Planet surfaces mostly samey same.

Eugene
Posted By: JimK

Re: No man's sky...? - 11/30/16 02:12 PM

1.1 update has been released.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/06/16 07:31 PM

I guess the game'll be fun in about 2 years

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/06/16 10:16 PM

I guess the game'll be fun in about 2 years

thumbsup Sounds about right.
Posted By: Moonraker

Re: No man's sky...? - 06/11/19 04:16 PM

I want to mention ... I have played most all the space sims out there and am now hooked on No Man's Sky ... hope you all will look into it ... they have occasional sales bought it for 30 ... best Space Sim out there seriously ... for the money it has missions, storylines, factions, some economy, some multiplayer ... they are hyping VR right now and hopes to be the Top Sim with VR this summer.

No Man's Sky is the only Space Sim with advanced atmospherics, seemless Space-To-Planet space travel, literally hundreds of systems with planets and moons, has creative and other game modes, decent multiplayer ... the graphics are perfect fot the game due to the size and sheer hugeness of this Sim ...

I stream this Sim ALOT ! Am working on a farm to rake in millions, hoping to manage a fleet of freighters, and tear into those walkers !

There is tons of plants, animals, minerals, crafting secrets ... so many people got in early and made a large universe called the Galactic Hub ... I didnt go there as I want to have a chance to see more planets without alot of bases on every one of them.

A group of SimHQ'ers could start their own Universe ! can even do PvP without retribution, although griefing is possible so best to have an organized group to start this venture !
Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: No man's sky...? - 06/11/19 05:35 PM

I have it and played 33 hours so far but am currently waiting the VR patch before I delve deeper.
Not really a multi player kind of guy so am happy to play in solo.

The Washington State DLC has just been released for ATS so I have some earth bound tucking to do in the mean time smile already in VR of course.
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: No man's sky...? - 06/15/19 08:31 PM

I picked this up a few weeks ago on sale. While I don't have a ton of hours into the game, I do quite enjoy it so far. It's on hold I spend some time in Subnautica, but I plan on diving in when it comes out in VR. I would imagine it to be quite incredible in VR, hopefully the expansion patch drops sooner in the summer rather than later!
Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/12/20 02:23 PM

Picked this up today (downloading) when I saw the Exo-Mech update biggrin

Red

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/12/20 03:19 PM

I grabbed NMS to try and play with my daughter, but noticed something odd with the textures not loading half the time. I have a 970 GTX--do I not have enough vram? I think it came with 4 GB, I dunno, I bought it used for 85 bucks last year.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/12/20 03:39 PM

I have a GTX970,I never saw any issue with NMS but I haven't tried it since the Mech update.

The GTX970 only has 3.5GB of high speed video memory if I remember correctly. Remember the compensation that Nvidia had to give out because of it? That's because the other 0.5 GB was running around 80% slower and caused some issues when the card was pushed.

I'm looking to upgrade mine soon. It's still a great card but is showing its age.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/12/20 05:37 PM

Iam playing on my old PC (i5 +8GB RAM + GTX 1060/6GB VRAM), and yeah I get some ocasional stutter but that´s about it. Graphics settings are on ultra according to GeForce Experience optimized settings. I could lower them I guess...

Lot´s of fun by the way thumbsup

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/14/20 04:33 PM

This is a strange game that feels like an acid trip, without being on any.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/14/20 09:59 PM

You should try it out on VR - the sense of standing on those planets - looking at those creatures - is pretty cool.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/15/20 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
This is a strange game that feels like an acid trip, without being on any.

Exactly the reason for me to uninstall it. Every time I played it I felt that same feeling. My only trip acid was at age 18 and did not care for it.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/16/20 08:22 PM

This one has to do with mushrooms... biggrin

Red

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/16/20 09:14 PM

I keep losing all my inventory to randomly dying to stuff like creatures attacking me through the terrain when I'm in a cave and they are on the surface. I'm playing on survival mode, but losing my entire inventory is harsh. In Subnautica I can go back to where I got eaten and grab my stuff.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/18/20 01:56 PM

Lost all my stuff yet again, this time because I went through a teleporter and spawned underground.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/18/20 02:43 PM

I have no Idea Blastman, Iam only at the begining of the game.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/18/20 03:12 PM

Seems that survival mode makes you lose all your stuff. I'm editing my save game to remove survival mode. I'm too old to have time for nonsense such as forcing me to waste hours.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/18/20 07:18 PM

Use normal mode - you can get it all back by going to where you got killed.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/19/20 03:24 AM

Eh, I used the save editor to fill my pockets back up with everything I lost, then a short while later was granted schematics to make a storage crate by the game, and a bit after that, solved a riddle from a deep space message that lead me to a crashed craft significantly better than my own on a sentinel world. I still have to fix some stuff on it, but it can hold a lot more cargo. The cockpit is like driving a truck with no peripheral vision, though, but, I'll take it. smile

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/19/20 11:55 AM

Those crashed ships are nice at first but some of the components can be expensive to replace. If you are looking for an easy way to make cash, I always enjoyed finding worlds with Ancient Bones. A tip, once you do, is to put a base on that world so you'll remember where it was and have a marker to be able to teleport to the station in that system. Of course you can put a teleporter in the base too and it will take you right there.

Also if you run the base building mission you'll get a bunch of blueprints for base items, exocraft, and other fun things.

I jumped back into the game after taking a break and am in the process of finishing up the Living Ship mission.

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/22/20 04:28 PM

Getting deeper into the game. I've stuck with survival mode and now figured out how to make a storage crate, plus there are two different saves--an auto and a manual, as a way around losing my stuff.

I found this planet last night:

[Linked Image]

My new toy:

[Linked Image]

Closer view, which reveals a nice bubble-dome, which provides a better view than my last ship which felt like driving a bus:

[Linked Image]

My previous ride:

[Linked Image]

beneath a floating island:

[Linked Image]

Re: No man's sky...? - 07/22/20 08:00 PM

Nice shots Blastman thumbsup

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/23/20 04:48 PM

Sandworms are in!

Some more of my screenshots:

[Linked Image]

Count the planets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Foreign contaminants...

[Linked Image]

Standing on the precipice of space...

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/23/20 05:50 PM

So what did the Origins update change?

Everything.

Before, a couple of days ago...

[Linked Image]

Same planet, different location, today:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The game's so hot, it is on fire!

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/23/20 05:57 PM

Oh, and I have a Star Destroyer now...

[Linked Image]

Well, I have had one for a while, so it isn't new to the update, but still really cool to have a mobile base with storages, ships, mecha, and a fleet at my beck and call.
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/24/20 01:54 PM

On sale on CDkeys... 65% off, bit of a steal at £13.99

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/24/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Trooper117
On sale on Steam... 65% off, bit of a steal at £13.99

Are you sure Trooper,it says 50% for me?
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: No man's sky...? - 09/24/20 03:21 PM

Sorry mate I made a boo boo!
It's 65% off on CDKeys!

Re: No man's sky...? - 10/06/20 05:31 AM

I no longer have to mine for resources, since I have a fleet of frigates working for my battlecruiser cranking in cash, resources and other goods, plus one of my bases has a network of resource extractors linked via pipelines to an underground bunker that houses storage tanks and batteries, deep below the science, research and resort facilities. Supplies roll in about as fast as I can use them.

Re: No man's sky...? - 11/02/20 04:25 AM

I think I'm starting to get carried away now...

A few days ago:

[Linked Image]

There's even a toxic containment silo for ammonia and nitrogen that can only be accessed by sequential doors. When the interior door opens and the warning lights come on, the exterior hallway door closes to protect against potential backblasts...

[Linked Image]

A central workshop

[Linked Image]

From today. A proper industrial complex is not complete without lots of exterior lighting:

[Linked Image]

My daughter loves to build in minecraft and also explore with me in NMS, so, I decided to make some bases of my own. smile

Re: No man's sky...? - 11/30/20 06:57 PM

So... I have been busy.

My latest? A Miami Vice themed swanky pad my daughter and I have been working on:

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/k3zqfy
Posted By: DBond

Re: No man's sky...? - 11/30/20 07:38 PM

A dozen times I have considered buying this game, and pass each time. Not sure why. You seem to be having a good time with it.

Your South Beach manse has a definite Vice vibe no doubt. Ditch the socks and crank up the Jan Hammer smile

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/01/20 12:40 AM

I seem to recall you enjoyed the base building aspect of Subnautica you’ll love this. I’ve got quite a few hours into into and I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit. It’s very open world, you make out of it what you want.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/01/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by DBond
A dozen times I have considered buying this game, and pass each time. Not sure why. You seem to be having a good time with it.

I bought three games on Steam's summer sale earlier this year, and had huge reservations buying No Man's Sky...

I haven't even bothered installing nor playing the other two yet.

I love No Man's Sky. smile

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/01/20 11:04 AM

Just a thought. You can get a 1 month trial on Xbox Game pass to try No Man's Sky out. In fact you can do it twice by taking the premium version of Xbox for the same price. It cost £1.00 here in the UK.

That's assuming you haven't already done so.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/01/20 01:18 PM

Thanks Chucky for the heads up.

Yes, I liked building bases in Subnautica. I've followed NMS through the disaster at release to the much more highly regarded current state of the game. It's quite a story really, as games often don't recover from such a start. Credit to the dev team for being able to overcome the massive reputation hit and come out on top. I think there's enough in there to grab me. Just so many alternatives I guess, and I always choose a different direction. Ah, ya never know.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/01/20 03:07 PM

Well if you're looking for less killing, more exploring and total relaxation, you might want to try No Man's Sky, DBond.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/01/20 05:13 PM

I believe the current state of affairs f for DB is (and I quote) "Not taking any new patients now" (yeah, that line cracked me up!!)

But it's worth a flyer when you're looking for your next new thing.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/02/20 02:06 PM

Haha, yes I did say that JC.

It's true, I had actually planned things around the release of Cyberpunk. I didn't want to be neck-deep in any engrossing game when it came out. But then it got delayed again and I did actually take on a couple to fill in the time.

I'll keep an eye on NMS, I think I could have a good time with it. Keep posting fellas, it's interesting to read about your experiences and helps me form a perspective on the game.
Posted By: DM

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/02/20 02:20 PM

I really wanted to like NMS, but I never did. Even after fixes I just couldn't like it unfortunately frown I don't know if you're interested in negative viewpoints.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/02/20 02:23 PM

I am interested DM, spill it smile

I think the others who like the game would be fine with a dissenting viewpoint too.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/02/20 03:04 PM

I will say it's a game you need to have a goal in, somewhat like Elite. There are some pretty good storyline missions that will keep you going for a while, and the constant updated do add content, but right now I'm not playing it because I finished the main storyline, I've travelled to a new galaxy, I've gotten my living ship, I have an Indium farm, a Living Glass farm, and a circuit board farm so I've got plenty of cash with nothing really to spend it on. I've also gotten an S class multitool maxed out, 2 exotic S class ships, an S class fighter, and an S class explorer. You can have a maximum of 6 ships, so all told I've got 5/6 with no real target for that 6th ship. I've also gotten an S class freighter as well as a good size fleet of frigates. So there's not much I'm interested in chasing down in game. Oh - I've unlocked just about all the base building parts I have even a mild passing interest in.

I do jump in every so often because it can be relaxing, and it's an absolutely incredible VR experience, but it's not a main free time game right now for me.

So while I have enjoyed it, and have sung its praises, there is a downside I guess.
Posted By: DM

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/03/20 10:41 AM

I am interested DM, spill it smile

I think the others who like the game would be fine with a dissenting viewpoint too.

OK then smile

So at heart I am an explorer in games. I'm not interested in crafting, survival mechanics, combat, collecting/mining, trading etc. Maybe at some small level but not as a replacement for exploration. I just never felt that I explored anything, all places are ostensibly "different" while being somehow all the same. Everywhere I went there were police drones. That did not help me think I was the first person there :/

They're all different in the same way is the best I can put it smile

Other than that, the systems aren't really systems that you can believe in, they're static planets, no orbital mechanics for anything things are just hanging in space, and asteroid fields are simple volumes filled with asteroids here & there, no physics reason for them to exist.

Anyway, these are just my own hangups. By contrast, I like exploring in Elite Dangerous even though there's almost nothing to do when you do explore biggrin but at least it seems.... real and genuinely diverse. So bear that in mind when taking my view into account wink

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/03/20 01:16 PM

I appreciate the viewpoint DM, thanks.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/03/20 11:16 PM

I have 282.4 hours in No Man's Sky according to Steam and I've only bothered doing 10% at best of the main game story content.

I had 500+ hours in Elite Dangerous when I quit playing, but that was because once the developers did their darndest to kill Open and pvp gameplay, there really wasn't much left that was interesting to me. For the record, I don't pvp at all in No Man's Sky. Existing in a Roger Dean style artistic universe is enough for me.

Re: No man's sky...? - 12/10/20 05:30 PM

Wizards roam in this game on chariots of lightning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg8JVTC5n-w&feature=youtu.be

Watch in action:

https://www.reddit.com/r/no_mans_sky/comments/k7oawi/hitting_a_ball_off_the_roof/
© 2024 SimHQ Forums