homepage

Flying From The Cockpit Only

Posted By: F4UDash4

Flying From The Cockpit Only - 05/21/17 06:59 PM

I recently began using an IVA Replacement mod, it adds multiple interactive MFD's to the cockpit allowing you to fly many missions without ever using an external view.

'MK1-2' IVA Replacement by ASET

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture screenshot8.jpg
Attached picture screenshot9.jpg
Attached picture screenshot10.jpg
Attached picture screenshot12.jpg
Attached picture screenshot21.jpg
Attached picture screenshot23.jpg
Posted By: Genbrien

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 06/01/17 03:36 PM

I just have 1 thing to say:

you're crazy screwy wacky notworthy

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 06/01/17 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Genbrien
I just have 1 thing to say:

you're crazy screwy wacky notworthy

Well yes, but what makes you say that?
Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 06/02/17 02:44 PM

If only Kerbal worked in VR sigh

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 06/02/17 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Aisthorpe
If only Kerbal worked in VR sigh

Now that would be cool!

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 07/14/18 02:03 PM

I'm going to have to get back to playing KSP and try this.

https://youtu.be/pb8U20UCMEQ[b][/b]
Posted By: DM

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 05/03/19 12:50 PM

I like the idea of going cockpit-only smile my best Silent Hunter 3 gaming experiences were when I disabled all external views & helpers etc & just relied on what I could see from the bridge & periscope, and hear. smile I can see the value in this.

VR sounds like a shoe-in for this mode, assuming MFDs are readable etc.

(I don't actually own this game but I do have a low-level interest in it, maybe this will be something I can sink time into eventually.)

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 05/13/19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by DM
I like the idea of going cockpit-only smile my best Silent Hunter 3 gaming experiences were when I disabled all external views & helpers etc & just relied on what I could see from the bridge & periscope, and hear. smile I can see the value in this.

VR sounds like a shoe-in for this mode, assuming MFDs are readable etc.

(I don't actually own this game but I do have a low-level interest in it, maybe this will be something I can sink time into eventually.)

GOG has KSP for $20 right now if you want to play around with it: https://www.gog.com/game/kerbal_space_program?
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 08/22/19 06:02 PM

That cockpit mod looks badass.

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 08/24/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
That cockpit mod looks badass.

It is quite fun. Or was. I can't even recall what version of KSP this was in or what mods were involved. I hope KSP2 incorporates this sort of this as stock.

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 01/04/20 05:06 AM

K so I recently got this on Steam sale (around 10 Euros) and I'm really enjoying it. Looking at these images again makes me want to start the modding thing, but right now I'm just pootling about in vanilla. I'm interested in atmospheric effects for planets with atmospheres and the above type of internal improvements. But I'm generally ignorant of the types of mods that are even available really, there's probably others that I have no idea about that will become must-haves too.

I'm currently struggling finding all the science tings to do, I discovered today for example that a lot of surface science can be done over & again for each type of terrain, so even on Kerbal itself you can do the same science on grass, runway, sea, mountains etc, which is a bit odd IMO but whatever.

I spent a long time playing the training missions and managed to get OK with switching orbits to the mun and landing on it, then taking off & successfully returning to Kerbal itself, I hugenly enjoyed all that smile

Having a rough time with manual flight too - although I suspect that a good cockpit-only experience will probably sort that out (i.e. flying purely by navball rather than the distracting external view).I got a Thrustmaster Cougar + pedals so I ought to be good to go for that but it's still rough going, I seem to have lost my fine touch with a Hotas after years of not really doing anything other than Arma & Elite Dangerous with it biggrin. I generally let the Kerbs do it via the SAS.

The maneuver nodes seems to be a touch of genius there, very useful. I can also see some amount of physics simplification i.e. transferring orbits from one planet to a moon is a matter of suddenly traversing some boundary so you're either in the gravitational influence of one, or suddenly the other, but not both. I can't even imagine the amount of eggheadery necessary to calculate this nonsense in 1969 using only a room full of slide rules and graph paper wink even more so with 2 interacting variable gravity wells. Mindblowing.

Edit. I don't know why the word Hotas becomes a link :/

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 01/04/20 01:00 PM

I've not played KSP in quite some time now, but I am still drawn to it and will be back at some point. As such I'm not sure what mods are available for the current release of KSP.

You may find, as I did, that in time the manual flying isn't something you care much about. To me the real fun was designing spacecraft. Then leave most of the flying up to MechJeb (an autopilot mod if you've not run across it yet). Of course even with MechJeb performing the burns it's still up to you to plan them, which can be challenging as well.

This is the sort of thing I enjoy most about KSP, being able to engineer the spacecraft and the launch vehicles required...

Re: Flying From The Cockpit Only - 01/04/20 01:57 PM

Wow, good job there smile I see I have a long way to go yet (both senses). I'm currently playing the science-only game, and I suspect the reason I struggle getting the science is that I'm not playing toward contracts, so I don't know what to do really. I'll probably ditch that side of the game and ply full sandbox eventually, but I wanted to start from scratch so I get a feel for all the things.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums