homepage

Improvements/modification requests

Posted By: Alien_MasterMynd

Improvements/modification requests - 08/23/12 08:04 AM

Hi, I created this thread for requests of changes in SAMSIM functionality. I think it will not fall into bugs or future plans.

The first from me:
It would be great to add a Save to dialog for Save 3DAAR. The reason is simple - in win 7 I regularly forget to run SAMSIM as administrator and thus I am not able to save 3DAAR since it is saved to Program Files directory which is not possible under user privileges.
Posted By: Vympel

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 08/23/12 08:40 AM

There are two easy solutions to your problem.
First you could move SAMsim folder out of the Program Files, mine is on a separate partition. Second you can right click desktop shortcut, select Properties then compatibility tab, and finally check the last check box labeled "Run this program as an Administrator".

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 08/23/12 08:52 AM

Yes, it is a solution, but - have it somewhere else means garbage on disk and can cause problems during backup or so. The second solution means you also have to run everything else as administrator to delete them from SAMSIM directory.

But the main goal is to have them saved in separate directories immediately (you select directory in a moment of saving) and not to be involved in additional steps :-)
Posted By: Hpasp

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 08/28/12 09:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Alien_MasterMynd
Yes, it is a solution, but - have it somewhere else means garbage on disk and can cause problems during backup or so. The second solution means you also have to run everything else as administrator to delete them from SAMSIM directory.

But the main goal is to have them saved in separate directories immediately (you select directory in a moment of saving) and not to be involved in additional steps :-)

Its included into the last exe version.
(925.3)

http://www.mediafire.com/?gs2r4scgyqd6uq5

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 08/28/12 10:42 AM

Thanks! thumbsup

SAMSim keyboard control - 09/19/12 06:05 PM

There is a discussion started on the Hungarian forum about adding keyboard control for the SAMSim.
http://forum.index.hu/Article/showArticle?t=9120320&la=121363403

We envision adding UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT, FURTHER,CLOSER,FIRE,EMISSION-ON/OFF.
What is your idea? What keys would be preferred by you?

Posted By: farokh

Re: SAMSim keyboard control - 09/19/12 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Hpasp
There is a discussion started on the Hungarian forum about adding keyboard control for the SAMSim.
http://forum.index.hu/Article/showArticle?t=9120320&la=121363403

We envision adding UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT, FURTHER,CLOSER,FIRE,EMISSION-ON/OFF.
What is your idea? What keys would be preferred by you?

hmmmm, i would be prefer creating several keys for locking replaced by right click,
for example : lock azimuth = f10 / lock elevation = f12 / lock boresight = f11

PS: NEW idea smash
hpasp... could u create one user interface about connecting joystick or flight stick for take a best effective on sam sim controlling ???
example: move joystick to the right & left (azimuth) / move joystick to the up & down (elevation)
I swear to God it was my best idea cowboy cowboy cowboy
Posted By: montieris

Re: SAMSim keyboard control - 09/20/12 08:22 AM

First idea was to ask for; UI window where user can set his own buttons.

for keys i would try;
UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT,- arrow buttons
FIRE,- p
EMISSION-ON/OFF. - space

and yea, external controller would be great for personal SAM cockpit project smile

Re: SAMSim keyboard control - 09/21/12 06:05 PM

what about range?

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/21/12 06:52 PM

Here is my suggestion:
Left/Right arrow keys - Azimuth
Up/Down arrow keys - Range
1/2 (above letters) - Elevation
Tab - Emission On/Off
Space - Fire

Re: SAMSim keyboard control - 09/21/12 06:55 PM

what about range?

maybe mouse wheel is enough for up / down boresight range on scopes biggrin popcorn

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/21/12 07:22 PM

"1/2 (above letters) - Elevation"

Could you describe it?
I do not understand...

Space - Fire <- this is decided already
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/21/12 07:26 PM

numerals 1 and 2, but not numpad, main keyboard.

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/21/12 07:29 PM

"1/2 (above letters) - Elevation"

Could you describe it?
I do not understand...

Space - Fire <- this is decided already

I meant 1 and 2 number keys on the left side of the keyboard, not the ones on numerical keyb.

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/21/12 07:33 PM

Hungarian forum ideas...

Keypad:

1-7 Epsilon movement
4 Epsilon lock
2-8 Range movement
5 Range lock
3-9 Beta movement
6 Beta lock
SPACE fire
High voltage ???
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/21/12 07:34 PM

I'd suggest something like:

JKL Azimuth (left lock right)
UHN Elevation (up lock down)
,./ (or <> unshifted) Range (decrease increase lock)

This would work for a UK 103 keyboard, not sure if any are already in use, or whether other layouts would work... perhaps the 'best' option is to allow a remapping either within the program or via a cfg file.

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/21/12 08:48 PM

Hungarian forum ideas...

Keypad:

1-7 Epsilon movement
4 Epsilon lock
2-8 Range movement
5 Range lock
3-9 Beta movement
6 Beta lock
SPACE fire
High voltage ???

This is good, but pretty uncomfortable. May I suggest an alternative:
1-3 Epsilon movement
2 Epslion lock
4-6 Range movement
5 Range lock
7-9 Beta movement
8 Beta lock
Space Fire
0 High voltage

IMHO this would feel much better.

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/21/12 09:10 PM

hpasp...
... all of us had a personal idea and favorite key pad
i guess best way to control it...= create one user interface for sam sim until each user set favorite key on user interface controller

.... maybe one guy like me or others, wants to set joystick button's for sam sim like KUB sam system included with one joystick in tracking panel in real life yep
Posted By: piston79

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/22/12 02:41 PM

Hungarian forum ideas...

Hope current controls will not be removed!
Posted By: amalahama

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 09/23/12 09:59 AM

Here my request!

It'd be nice to have more flexibility regarding screen resolution; if it's less than application native a sort of scrolling could be implemented. That would allow netbook/ultrabook users to run the sim

Regards!
Posted By: CooLDoG

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 10/03/12 07:36 PM

Would it be possible for the user to set the controls in some sort of configuration file or dialog? That way we don't have to pick and choose!

Also, what if you want to fire a specific missile? You would need multiple fire buttons, right?

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 10/03/12 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: CooLDoG
Would it be possible for the user to set the controls in some sort of configuration file or dialog? That way we don't have to pick and choose!

Also, what if you want to fire a specific missile? You would need multiple fire buttons, right?

It is getting more-and-more complex, so I put this idea aside for a while, and go back reading Shilka manuals...
... this is the most crazies docuset I've ever faced.

They have 15(!!!) pieces of 200 pages books.
dizzy

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 10/03/12 09:20 PM

mmm. i think for doing professional tactics with sam simulator , immediately we need multiple fire buttons popcorn

Posted By: WhoCares

Re: Improvements/modification requests - 10/04/12 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: milang

mmm. i think for doing professional tactics with sam simulator , immediately we need multiple fire buttons popcorn

Problem is, it does not always work like that. Depending on the system we sometimes have individual buttons per missile/launch vehicle (SA-2 & SA-5), while in others we have a selector switch to select the individual missile/launch vehicle (SA-3 & SA-4; and failing to do so may result in nothing happening, as the selected missile can't be launched because it is obstructed by the radar).
So in some systems you can have multiple fire buttons, while in others you have to model the selector switch.
Going to be difficult to model this. And you would also need some kind of mechanism to emulate buttons, multi-value switches, dials,... And preferably for each modeled SAM system its own definition.

Talking about professional procedures, I'd also consider it unrealistic if you could operate all functions from a single view, e.g. fire the missile from the tracking radar view. I'd assume the more realistic procedure would be that the tracking radar operator calls out that the target is locked, the next guy reports target parameters like direction, speed and altitude, and the commander (depending on situation and ROE also including to ask for confirmation/permission from higher up) may issue the fire command.
As such, I consider "changing seats" as we do it now a substitute for going through such operation procedures.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums