homepage

Wings Over The Reich - Now Released!

Posted By: Polovski

Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/05/18 12:46 PM

Hi All,

After a long hard slog to get here, the wait is over.

Wings Over The Reich is now available.

Please see www.wingsoverthereich.com

[Linked Image]

Box for illustration only

Also many thanks to the Beta testers for helping get us over the line...
Posted By: Boom

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/07/18 07:55 AM

Looks good. But only two (2) flyable aircraft? What's going on there? Surely OBD is not down the 'orrible Rise Of Flight pattern?

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/07/18 08:34 AM

What's going on there? $34.99? Extensive single player campaign unmatched anywhere. Takes a lot of time to build one aircraft. Each to his own...
Posted By: DBond

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/08/18 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Polovski
Extensive single player campaign unmatched anywhere.

That's impressive.

Now why is that so?
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/08/18 08:06 PM

Wow havoc,take a chill pill dude.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/08/18 09:04 PM

Not forbidden,I just didn't think it was called for. I see you toned down your earlier reply though...

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/08/18 09:26 PM

256x256 textures what are you smoking they are mostly 2048x2048 and there's quite a few of those per cockpit. Looks fine here on 3440x1440.
Maybe you have seen a low res pic or whatever, or more likely like you are trolling.

So there's plenty of great dynamic single player campaigns out there with great AI for WW2? OK then we are spoiled for choice.

Why is the campaign great? Because it's built on WOFF which has years of dev backed up with reviews and comments over the years pointing out the depth and quality of it - and we have added and improved all along.

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/08/18 10:39 PM

Ok that's not what you said. Anyway everyone has an opinion and that's yours. I disagree. Obviously anyone who isn't sure can read other people's opinions from those that bought it and reviews when they appear.

Thanks.
Posted By: Hellshade

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/09/18 03:16 PM

No sim is for everyone and there's always someone who looks at a couple of screenshots and decides it's not for them. There's nothing wrong with that and no harm in saying it. On the other hand, some games can make some excellent screenshots, but once you get in and start playing, you hate it. It's not an either / or proposition but both happen.

WOTR's strength isn't in DX11/12 graphics although it appears DX11 may well be on the way. It's strengths are in it's single player dynamic campaign, historical accuracy, its AI and most of all the developers relentless commitment to continually improve the sim, none of which really show up in a screen shot. If those things aren't someone "bag", then perhaps the sim isn't for them right now. Maybe it will be whenever the upgraded shaders come into play or any of the other improvements that are no doubt on OBDs list. When Over Flanders Fields phase 1 came out 10 years ago, it would have been hard to imagine that it would be continually improved over time until it's the Wings Over Flanders Fields Ultimate Edition that it is today...and it still has OBDs commitment to keep developing for it. I imagine WOTR will be the same. Keep checking back in from time to time. What may not be your bag today might be somewhere else down the road.
Posted By: capnrick

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/09/18 04:24 PM

Help! Installed yesterday and can’t get past a screen that says: cant find results.xml in users/rick/app data/roaming/wings..etc.

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/09/18 04:27 PM

Please see the FAQ on our support page, last 2 pages explain how to contact support and the info to send.

Also see our forum
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/388/1/wings-over-the-reich

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/10/18 06:40 PM

Why is the campaign great? Because it's built on WOFF which has years of dev backed up with reviews and comments over the years pointing out the depth and quality of it - and we have added and improved all along.

So, err, look it up?

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/10/18 08:22 PM

Err yes. Because the years of reviews and details that only come people actually playing it and commenting on the detail depth re-playability.etc.

That's what people who may be interested in something do rather believing advertising blurb. I do at least.
Read reviews, comments, read other products made by the same team etc.

Obviously the software doesn't interest you.

But for those that may be interested we made WOFF:
http://www.overflandersfields.com/products.html there's lots of detail on prior OBD release, campaign, AI detail and so on.

.. and OK, for those interested in more detail, we have made more detailed info available on the WOTR website :
Wings Over The Reich Features in Detail

There's not many sims around these days so hopefully it will appeal...

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/12/18 03:37 PM

Obviously the software doesn't interest you.

Is this directed at me?

And frankly, it was not true when I asked the question.

You stated that the campaign is "unmatched anywhere", which is a bold claim, isn't it? You later backtracked and qualified this by saying WW2. I asked was why it is "unmatched anywhere". I was told to look it up. And from that you conclude I am not interested? True enough now I suppose.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/15/18 12:52 PM

Err yes. Because the years of reviews and details that only come people actually playing it and commenting on the detail depth re-playability.etc.

That's what people who may be interested in something do rather believing advertising blurb. I do at least.
Read reviews, comments, read other products made by the same team etc.

Obviously the software doesn't interest you.................

Dude, you really are not a very good "face" for a company trying to sell a product. Antagonizing and attacking your customer base is just not a good business plan.

I've seen a lot of screens and videos of WOTR and it looks good, I've read some good reviews as well, but if this product doesn't do well it may be not due to any fault of the product itself but in large part because of you turning off your customers.

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/15/18 01:09 PM

DBond yes it was, and no I haven't backtracked if you read I said ... "with great AI" ...too.

F4U
I try not to be a face, just stick to the facts. Bold claim? Maybe some will think so, but customers over the years will say it's true and we have worked very hard to make it so.

I don't think I am antagonising customers just responding to antagonistic comments. I am a person too believe it or not.

Thanks for the comments on WOTR. If it doesn't do well I'd be shocked I have that much power.

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/17/18 03:58 PM

DBond yes it was, and no I haven't backtracked if you read I said ... "with great AI" ...too.

I'll keep this brief, as I've lost interest. I am a campaign guy, I am intrigued by any sim with a good campaign. I'll buck the trend in this thread and offer a link to back up my point

Falcon 4 BMS Campaign

If I had enjoyed your campaign it would have likely meant a similar treatment, and the exposure that comes with it.

Yes, a day later. The original claim was an "Extensive single player campaign unmatched anywhere". As soon as someone says things like 'If you read what I said' you've entered shaky ground. You think I didn't read it, that I am just spouting random nonsense?

To then state a day later

So there's plenty of great dynamic single player campaigns out there with great AI for WW2?

This isn't backtracking, or qualifying your statement?

Your claim then is that the WOTR campaign is unmatched anywhere? So your game has the finest single player campaign of any sim ever? And as proof of this you don't bother to offer any reason why but instead point to " reviews and comments over the years", which if I may point out are for a different game.

But the most bizarre thing, and what I feel is the biggest of your cascading errors in this thread is to then act like a used car salesman and do a takeaway close on me by stating "Obviously the software doesn't interest you." Seriously? How did you draw that conclusion? Because I dared to question your claims? And just so you know Polovski I had no intention of proving you wrong, but was genuinely interested in what makes the campaign so good. Too bad I never got around to looking it up.

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/17/18 07:07 PM

You have just shown you are the antagonistic one "A used car salesman". I won't call you names but I think you are spending way too much time on this for someone who is losing interest.

Commenting a day later? Is that against some rules?
No it's not backtracking. The campaign is unmatched anywhere oops I said it again.

You think I didn't read it, that I am just spouting random nonsense?

It did occur to me yes.

This isn't backtracking, or qualifying your statement?

or so who is backtracking now, backtracking or qualifying a statement?

Your claim then is that the WOTR campaign is unmatched anywhere? So your game has the finest single player campaign of any sim ever? And as proof of this you
don't bother to offer any reason why but instead point to " reviews and comments over the years", which if I may point out are for a different game.

The only proof is in the previous sim on which this code is based, and also in the actual sim. and when the reviews are available in there too...and in the WOTR forum where people are playing it. Maybe just go there and ask too? Certainly a lot quicker than finding ways of having a pop at me.

I have played it and worked on it for some time, including 10 years on the previous sim, on which this is based, so I have a good qualified idea yes.

"Obviously the software doesn't interest you." Seriously? How did you draw that conclusion? Because I dared to question your claims? And just so you know Polovski I had no intention of proving you wrong, but was genuinely interested in what makes the campaign so good. Too bad I never got around to looking it up.

You can dare question, but you have poor way of enquiring without antagonising people on first pass. "You said errrr look it up?" What else is the internet for - a mass of opinions. To me, considering you show you have such interest in campaigns, that shows you are not interested and more interested in winning something, what I am not sure.

Posted By: Space_Ghost

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/18/18 06:30 PM

Glad I got a return.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/19/18 11:48 AM

Tough audience.
Posted By: CaptSopwith

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/20/18 10:23 PM

I mentioned this over on another thread but I feel it would be useful to post this over here as well.

I haven't had a rig to run the newest World War II sims but I've played a lot of IL-2 1946 and if you search around, you'll find me posting over on the SAS Boards for the vpmodpack for that sim - it's a great add on for folks like me who want to bring that sim up to current spec as easily as possible. I still have Falcon BMS installed on my system and plan to revisit it soon as well. In other words, the more flight sims we have, the better. The market has been pretty niche for about twenty years now. The days of multiple sims covering the same period releasing within weeks of each other has been well and truly behind us for some time - so the more lifeblood we have going into this fantastic hobby of ours, the better.

I'm reminded of the original review I read for European Air War back in 1999 when, as a high schooler, I was trying desperately to convince my parents to buy me a World War 2 sim right on the heels of picking up Red Baron 3D. I was so determined I printed the thing off and read it out loud to them. I feel like this closing bit from IGN kind of sums up how I feel about games in general:

The list of good stuff is just as long as the bad. The force feedback is nice. Planes have a good damage model. Bombers will slowly drop out of formation, falling victim to enemy fighters. Strafe a building and soldiers will run out of it. Guns jam when fired in high-G turns (that's a new one). The communication options with your wingmen are effective, with plenty of options. In fact, even having comms in the first place is a positive; neither CFS or WW2F model it. Bombers actually have nose art. Did I mention the subwoofer sounds great? I know it seems this review had listed more bad features than good, but when you throw it all together, this game rises above itself.

We've seen one issue countless times in countless other games: Gameplay will always win out over graphics. If you want eye candy, pick up Combat Flight Simulator or World War II Fighters. If you're looking for a long-term relationship, you can't go wrong with European Air War. It's not perfect, but since when is a successful relationship not about compromise?

And this is where I feel OBD land. Is the CFS 3 engine the latest? Of course not - it's from 2002. But the things they've been able to accomplish with it has been remarkable. You are also talking about a development studio of fewer than ten people - making a full featured game from scratch. So I know going into it that there are going to be compromises - but I feel that those compromises come from the right place, with the right intent. Game development has changed immensely in the last ten years - free to play, DLC, and less-than-complete titles launch with the expectation that gamers will pony up more cash to get more game - it's a part of the market and that's the reality we live in.

But I know that a Phase 1 release of WoTR will be a fully realized campaign of the Battle of Britain with arguably two of the most historically significant aircraft of the event - Hurricane had more kills than the Spitfire (and I LOVE the Spit), and the 109E, well, it's THE fighter of the Luftwaffee's operation. And for the asking price, I think that's fair. Rather than fly online on servers - which I'm not a huge fan of - I get a campaign of the BoB a period which, for me at least, hasn't been worn out yet. (IL-2 1946 sort of gets there but not in a fully realized way and I haven't played Cliffs of Dover). The AI will be bloody difficult, the landscape will be gorgeous, there will be cascading shadows across the cockpit, and the sound design and music will be top notch. I feel that, sometimes as a community, we get so passionate about this hobby we love and what we so desperately want from it, that we get frustrated when our ideals aren't fully realized - regardless of the game. But if you take a step back and look at gaming in general - this is a pretty special place. OBD is a studio with a "done when it's done" mentality and rather than let WoTR sit as vaporware for another five years, we get a taste of it now, and my 35 bucks (or the price of a cheap sushi dinner out) I get to support a studio that cares about the people who buy their sim, who post regularly on the boards, and who will patch a game within days of a glitch appearing. And at least for me, that's a value I'm happy to partake in. Because one day, when these guys hang it up and the rest of the world has moved on to ray tracing and VR and games as a service rather than a console, I'll keep a rig somewhere in my house with WOFF:UE, Falcon 4.0, FSX, Strike Fighters, IL-2 1946, and WoTR (and European Air War if they ever get it running in Windows 10!).

Just my two cents - I've had a lot of coffee today mates, so bear with me.

I'll be heading over to that new store in a few days and picking up my copy as well. Thanks to Pol and Winder and Matt and the rest for all of their hard work.
Posted By: Hellshade

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/25/18 03:48 AM

If people in this thread only knew Pol like I do. 10 years of giving his all to his customers, often including new features in free patches in the WOFF sim and being incredibly responsive to his customers constructive feedback. I remember one fellow was quite antagonistic towards OBD regarding WOFF, but after he spent some time on the WOFF forums and got to know everyone, his tune changed completely. Turned out to be one of the best modders of the sim, too. Still at it all these years later. Was a big win for everyone. Just saying.
Posted By: theOden

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/26/18 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hellshade
If people in this thread only knew Pol like I do..

Yes, it is obvious reading this thread that the release is only for those that's known him for 10 years.
I too was initially interested in this title.
Posted By: Adger

Re: Wings Over The Reich - Now Released! - 09/26/18 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by theOden
Originally Posted by Hellshade
If people in this thread only knew Pol like I do..

Yes, it is obvious reading this thread that the release is only for those that's known him for 10 years.
I too was initially interested in this title.

I haven't known him for 10 years in fact I don't know him at all, and I've purchased..so it's not that obvious is it. What I do know is that their support is second to none,if their given a chance to start with.

Initially interested but what now you aren't? Fair enough your choice but good WW2 flight sims are becoming rarer. Maybe in what 5-10 years there won't be anybody doing them. When/if this happens then none of us can moan can we.

FWIW I'm really enjoying WOTR,even at this phase 1 release stage. Surely with support it'll get even better and unless people have ZERO interest in WW2 flight sims then isn't that what we want? A really good SP WW2 sim with great AI and a fantastic campaign.

If this gets anywhere near the quality of WOFFUE (and I believe it will with support)then we're in for one hell of a treat guys.

Regards
Adger
© 2024 SimHQ Forums