homepage

Combined Arms update

Posted By: Silver_Dragon

Combined Arms update - 01/31/14 03:16 PM

Combined Arms 1.5 Develop update

http://youtu.be/QbtPL27O7e8
Quote:
T-90. Shooting from main gun with the laser rangefinder and ballistic computer. See a triple lamps indicator at bottom edge of screen.
• Red -- target out of range. Fire is not permitted.
• Green -- target in range. Gun is ready. Weapons free.
• Yellow -- gun is aiming by fire control computer.
Range counter in meters
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: Combined Arms update - 01/31/14 03:38 PM

Purty!
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Combined Arms update - 01/31/14 05:46 PM

Excellent!

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Chris2525

Re: Combined Arms update - 01/31/14 11:42 PM

Awesome. Realistic tank FCS is definitely on my CA wishlist. Hopefully next they'll add automatic lead adjustment.
Posted By: Chivas

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/01/14 12:12 AM

Nice, it will be even better with the EDGE graphic engine.
Posted By: EinsteinEP

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/01/14 02:37 AM

I am impressed that they are making efforts to improve CA. Kudos!

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/01/14 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Chivas
Nice, it will be even better with the EDGE graphic engine.

Indeed. It'll be infinitely better having a detailed terrain mesh so that ground vehicles can have cover to use. Right now, with the low-res black sea map terrain mesh, you're basically driving around a huge, flat parking lot all the time as the poly faces are so huge.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/04/14 02:30 PM

Yeah, it's very immersion-killing depending on where you are. Some places it's not so bad, others it's quite jarring.

Cities/towns and airports/ports are decent enough, you expect them to be flat. Of course, then you want higher-res building textures when you're there. smile

The Jedi Master

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/17/14 08:13 PM

Interesting news (sorry google translator)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1993181&postcount=10
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny_RnD View Post
Radar for air defense in the CA 1.2.8 appears?

Yes, it is planned.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1998023&postcount=3293
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningstrike View Post
But such a sad question: What is the future for submarines and all that is connected with the sea battle in the DCS?

Ships will soon be managed like typewriters card F10, within CA.
Subs not yet planned.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1998235&postcount=1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshman View Post
Quote:
1. Who has a module "CA" This will be a free Navy "addition"?

Yes.

Quote:
Quote:
2. All available naval armaments can shoot + new sights?

All ships now than shoot can be used. First person do not plan to, but from the map can be controlled and give MC.

Quote:
Quote:
3. Management, etc. .. "Carriers" something has changed with the primary post?

Aircraft carriers and other ships as you can steer with the card.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/17/14 08:19 PM

So you're saying that if I get tired of flankers being spawned from the Carrier, I can send my Carrier Group over to start a ruckus with them?

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/17/14 08:24 PM

think that's what they have planned. runningdog
Posted By: marko1231123

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/22/14 11:29 PM

copied from the DCS sticky. (post from wags)

We are looking for detailed information on the M1A2, preferably SEP update, to include:

Inter-Vehicle Information System (IVIS.) The IVIS system allows for the automatic and continual exchange of information between vehicles. By incorporating information provided by an on board Position/Navigation (POSNAV) system, unit commander's can track the location and progress of subordinate elements automatically, without tasking vehicle crews. In addition enemy positions can be identified, plotted and disseminated, while reports and artillery requests can be automatically formatted, transmitted, and processed. Lastly, map graphic control measures and operational orders can be rapidly distributed via the IVIS system.

Edit
There's a lot of innuendo about them improving CA on the DCS forums.
I even seen a post about a possible Tunguska module.
DCS are good a what they do, (Air warfare) but they have a long way to go if they want
To match SB, Personally If I was in charge of DCS I would scrap CA altogether.
Start again or contact Esim.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/24/14 02:15 PM

I'd say "it depends". To devote resources to improving CA to the point of making new ground modules that could be used for F-18 or EDGE or higher priority stuff, then no. If these people can't do that for whatever reason, or there's downtime while something is helping elsewhere that they're filling in with CA stuff like this, then fine. There's no point in them staring at the walls.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: NineLine

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/24/14 04:06 PM

I am gonna step out on a limb here and say the guy programming the FM for a modern fighter, isnt the guy they want programming a armoured unit and all its systems, and neither of those guys are the guy they want programming EDGE... but that is purely me assuming... All three of those things are highly specialized, and while there may be some cross over in some areas, I think they need specific people or teams for each of these...

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I'd say "it depends". To devote resources to improving CA to the point of making new ground modules that could be used for F-18 or EDGE or higher priority stuff, then no. If these people can't do that for whatever reason, or there's downtime while something is helping elsewhere that they're filling in with CA stuff like this, then fine. There's no point in them staring at the walls.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: NavyNuke99

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/24/14 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: SiThSpAwN
I am gonna step out on a limb here and say the guy programming the FM for a modern fighter, isnt the guy they want programming a armoured unit and all its systems, and neither of those guys are the guy they want programming EDGE... but that is purely me assuming... All three of those things are highly specialized, and while there may be some cross over in some areas, I think they need specific people or teams for each of these...

The Jedi Master

I would think it really wouldn't make that much of a difference; it's all in the same language, and that just boils down to a series of functions and systems models. I don't know if you've read any of the stuff Scott Elson has written on here, but when he worked for Jane's, and other game developers, he did a little bit of everything. I would figure so long as you leave good notes and documentation about how the code is being utilized and what solutions are being looked at, I would think that a good software engineer could jump from one part of the project to another fairly easily.
Posted By: GrayGhost

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/24/14 05:35 PM

It doesn't quite work like that - there's always a learning curve when taking up the coding of subject matter that is different from what you usually do.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/24/14 05:35 PM

Yes, but there are limits to how many people you want working a particular thing. So you don't want 50 people all working on MP code for instance, too many fingers.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: NineLine

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/24/14 07:01 PM

Here is a quote from Wag's on the subject as I asked him about this today:

"The guys working on CA features are solely assigned to that part of DCS. In no way do CA projects impact the development time of other DCS efforts like aircraft, maps, etc. The continued effort in CA is part of our strategic goal of having the best air, land and sea simulation ever done for the PC."
Posted By: KeyCat

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/24/14 11:07 PM

I like where DCS is heading, the electronic battlefield with combined arms is pretty much the holy grail since Spectrum Holobyte started to envision it on PC's back in the Falcon 3 days (IIRC they called it EBS).

Lets hope ED are able to pull it off in a not so distant future...

/KC
Posted By: komemiute

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/25/14 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: KeyCat
I like where DCS is heading, the electronic battlefield with combined arms is pretty much the holy grail since Spectrum Holobyte started to envision it on PC's back in the Falcon 3 days (IIRC they called it EBS).

/KC

thumbsup Agreed.
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/25/14 12:12 AM

The Jedi Master

+1.

I get the feeling they're hunting for a government contract again. Remember, we've yet to see ED release a DCS product that wasn't born of a government project.

I know they're working on the baby bug, but I can't fathom how they're generating sufficient cash-flows right now. The previous two products, the Huey and hip, weren't theirs (although I presume they charge a commission of sorts on third party modules?) and I can't see the A-10A or SU-25 modules being big sellers as they're (by ED's admission) essentially what you get with FC3.

So to me, it's possible they're hunting contracts again.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/25/14 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: KeyCat

/KC

Indeed it is the Holy grail.
Micropose we heading towards a similar project with Gunship and tank platoon,
unfortunately for Games fans Hasbro bought out micropose and that was the end of that project.
Realistically DCS is the only company who could do it but it would take a major overhaul of there Game engine.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/25/14 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Remember, we've yet to see ED release a DCS product that wasn't born of a government project.

DCS: P-51D
DCS: UH-1H
DCS: Mi-8
DCS: Combined Arms
Flaming Cliffs 3

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wCENdyC2pQo/UqcqzV4I3FI/AAAAAAAANHU/av_uwloqLw4/s1600/MargeCarMeme.png

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/25/14 04:14 AM

The graphics engine is getting overhauled. Other stuff will come in time as well.

Originally Posted By: marko1231123
Realistically DCS is the only company who could do it but it would take a major overhaul of there Game engine.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/25/14 02:02 PM

So as I figured, the CA stuff isn't at "the expense" of the other stuff. These people are separate and it's not a great idea to just transfer people around, especially if they're modelers and not coders and you don't want them messing with code.

The Jedi Master

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/25/14 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP
Remember, we've yet to see ED release a DCS product that wasn't born of a government project.

DCS: P-51D
DCS: UH-1H
DCS: Mi-8
DCS: Combined Arms
Flaming Cliffs 3

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wCENdyC2pQo/UqcqzV4I3FI/AAAAAAAANHU/av_uwloqLw4/s1600/MargeCarMeme.png

You're right on the P-51D, I forgot that.

The UH-1H and Mi-8 aren't ED's. They're Belsimtek products.

I don't consider DCS Combined arms a "DCS level product" insofar that it's not a detailed systems focused study of an aircraft (or piece of armor). Also, wasn't CA part of a gov project as well (or at least a bid for one) to train forward observers?

Flaming Cliffs 3 isn't a DCS level product. In name or practice.

Didn't ED actually say a while ago that they were going to be more specific with how the DCS label was applied?

In any event, let me restate:

We haven't seen a DCS level modern combat aircraft developed by ED that wasn't initially developed to fulfill a government contract.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/26/14 12:02 AM

So as I figured, the CA stuff isn't at "the expense" of the other stuff. These people are separate and it's not a great idea to just transfer people around, especially if they're modelers and not coders and you don't want them messing with code.

The Jedi Master

How do you figure it's not at the other stuffs "expense"? Unless it's a third party, that means ED used it's -by their own admission, stretched- resources to hire developers for a new project, but not devote them mid-stream projects.

I understand that only so many people can work on a project at a time (one woman can make a baby in 9 months, but 9 women can't make a baby in one month and all), but if a company like EA can put thousands of developers on a title, than I think there's room to put more resources to current projects at ED.

Put another way, current projects are paying the opportunity cost of expanding CA.

From a retail standpoint, it doesn't make business sense to me, as the F/A-18C is (presumably....hopefully) closer to production and thus generating cash flows. This tells me this is part of a bid to make the sim a more fertile ground for contracts.

But I don't think ED is REALLY aiming to make the Abrams analog to DCS A-10C. I think instead they're going to pitch DCS World as an e-battlefield desktop sim.

Among both modern militaries, big business, and tweens, the latest thing to have is connectivity. A connected battlefield means lots of complex systems talking to each other, and lots of soliders who need to know how those complex systems work. It makes sense to teach people these systems on desktop sims first, as it imparts a basic understanding of the e-warfare environment before training on more complex (and expensive) simulators and live exercises. I think that's the angle DCS is best prepared to approach this market from, anyway.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/26/14 08:47 AM

The Jedi Master

How do you figure it's not at the other stuffs "expense"? Unless it's a third party, that means ED used it's -by their own admission, stretched- resources to hire developers for a new project, but not devote them mid-stream projects.

Not trying to be smart... they admitted it.
Now there's a bit of way in believing everything you read online, but you have to draw a line somewhere.
And despite some shortcomings, I've yet never been lied by ED.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/26/14 06:09 PM

If you ever heard Wags describe - or read how he describes - DCSW, then you'll understand 'any vehicle, any era, any fidelity'.

Among both modern militaries, big business, and tweens, the latest thing to have is connectivity. A connected battlefield means lots of complex systems talking to each other, and lots of soliders who need to know how those complex systems work. It makes sense to teach people these systems on desktop sims first, as it imparts a basic understanding of the e-warfare environment before training on more complex (and expensive) simulators and live exercises. I think that's the angle DCS is best prepared to approach this market from, anyway.

Re: Combined Arms update - 02/26/14 06:31 PM

I want my DCS: Airwolf.

Afterburners! Passing thru Mach 1! Launch Hellfires!

The Jedi Master

Re: Combined Arms update - 04/05/14 02:31 PM

Manpads CA 1.2.8
http://youtu.be/KaTfW3zboAQ

Radar CA 1.2.8
http://youtu.be/rqPq2-rLxMk
Posted By: Frederf

Re: Combined Arms update - 04/05/14 11:19 PM

Playing SAM in an MP server is looking a little more tempting now. Did they ever fix CA's UI with wide aspect ratios?

Re: Combined Arms update - 04/18/14 06:15 PM

Some Combined Arms 1.2.8 Beta RC2
http://youtu.be/HF9O2o5jUTU
http://youtu.be/256YR3d8les
http://youtu.be/86_gzceR948
http://youtu.be/pSrfnUMAExc

Re: Combined Arms update - 04/18/14 06:25 PM

Some 3 months after this thread started I'll admit I thought "1.5" would have been done by now, but I'm not really surprised it's not.

The Jedi Master

Re: Combined Arms update - 04/18/14 06:43 PM

we are 1 step closer to infantry, man pads is like 30% feeling like a 1st Person Shooter.

Re: Combined Arms update - 04/21/14 01:21 PM

notBF2

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Combined Arms update - 06/02/14 06:54 PM

Is it worth picking this up for armored warfare, yet?

Re: Combined Arms update - 07/03/14 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris2525
Awesome. Realistic tank FCS is definitely on my CA wishlist. Hopefully next they'll add automatic lead adjustment.

+1

If dynamic lead better ballistics/ armour values/ better sound
Were implemented it would make CA a half decent tank sim I don't think it will ever be up to SB
Standard but having CAS and many of the other features of DCS World would compensate.
Some are speculating they may produce a full M1A2 module.
As a die hard Armour milsimer It would not bother me if ED did not implement the full turret interior.
Its great to look at but realistically you spend most of your time looking through your optics or on the map view

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/01/14 07:40 PM

From ED Facebook, update to DCS: W 2.0 CA

https://www.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics?ref=stream
Quote:
Some Work In Progress (WIP) preview images of Combined Arms (CA) in DCS World 2.0. CA will continue to improve with new sounds, vehicle intercom messages, new and realistic sights, and improved interface. CA will particularly shine with the release of upcoming maps.

These images include upcoming Depth of Field and Lens Effects that can be turned on and off in Options.

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/01/14 08:29 PM

Holy bejeezus.
That looks amazing!
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/01/14 09:18 PM

When Combined Arms looks like that down low, I'm picking it up and grabbing an M1. Looks great. Hope it's soon, but considering how long everything is taking, who knows.

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 01:49 AM

Hubba hubba hubba!
Posted By: B25Mitch

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 06:51 AM

I took a screenshot in the current version, under the same conditions, for comparison:

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 07:01 AM

Gosh, like that is even clearer.

I am ready to wait the twoweeks for the release!
Posted By: Remon

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: B25Mitch
I took a screenshot in the current version, under the same conditions, for comparison:

What a difference self shadowing makes on the terrain.

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 11:04 AM

I don't think terrain self-shadowing has been implemented in the Georgia map - what you're seeing is higher contrast shading, which still looks great.

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 11:17 AM

I don't think terrain self-shadowing has been implemented in the Georgia map - what you're seeing is higher contrast shading, which still looks great.

Look at the hills in the middle of your screenshot. On the top, the left half of the hills is shadowed. The same part in the bottom picture doesn't have any shadowing at all, so it shouldn't be just more contrast.

Besides, shaders and shadowing is one of the features that shouldn't need a new map to implement. Disregard.

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 11:18 AM

Wow! I was thinking it was self shadowing too...

I'm respectfully asking- honest, no sarcasm- how can you tell it's high contrast shading... and... what the hell is high contrast shading!? confused

Thank you in advance for your patience! salute

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Remon

Look at the hills in the middle of your screenshot. On the top, the left half of the hills is shadowed. The same part in the bottom picture doesn't have any shadowing at all, so it shouldn't be just more contrast.

That's because the left half is facing away from the sun. Simple gouraud shading would also give this effect, and it has nothing to do with self-shadowing.

There are a few other hints that the terrain isn't self-shadowing (take a look at all the areas that are in shadow and compare them to the sun angle - if the terrain slope is facing away from and steeper than the sun angle, it should be shaded anyway), but one area in particular stands out:

That little bit technically shouldn't be lit at all since it would be in the shadow of the taller hill.

Originally Posted By: komemiute

I'm respectfully asking- honest, no sarcasm- how can you tell it's high contrast shading... and... what the hell is high contrast shading!? confused

I'm just referring to the fact that there's more shading contrast than what we currently have.

The key term here is shading, which in computer graphics is a way of lighting an object based on the angle of the face relative to the sun. If the face is perpendicular to the sun, it is fully lit, and if it's parallel or facing away from the sun it's fully shaded. It doesn't take into account any objects which may be blocking the sun. It looks identical to self-shadowing in all cases except at very low sun angles and very rugged terrain.

Self-shadowing, on the other hand, projects a shadow bitmap against the terrain from the sun's point of view and is much more cpu/graphics intensive. In the screenshot I posted, and in Remon's screenshot, shading is used because it's still pretty effective (ie. it fooled two people on this thread into thinking it was self-shadowing).

[created with Blender]

Of course, any of this is an improvement over the existing graphics engine where there's hardly any shading at all. The greater variation in tone in DCS World 2.0 is what makes the terrain 'pop' and I'm pretty excited to see it in game.

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 03:18 PM

jawdrop

Ah! Got it! Now it's crystal clear! thumbsup

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 06:14 PM

I love rendering technique terminology. EDGE + CA looks prettier to be sure.

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/02/14 11:18 PM

More from russian forum, new M-1 Abrams sights (Translate by google)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2164301&postcount=138
Quote:
No. At the moment, did not. But they will be. Manuals for Bradley and Love-25 is. If there are photos - very interested.

Did sight GPS (Gunner's Primary Sight) for Abrams and his friend Auxiliary Sight with two nets under Sabot and HE.
GPS has 4 levels of zoom: 1, 3, 6, 13 In reality, there are also 25 and 50, but it is a digital zoom, so far without them.
Auxiliary has only 8x.
For CWS (Commander's Weapon Station) also made ​​his own net. Zeroed. Dimensions correspond exactly to the original lines, and they are working in terms of the ratio of the angular dimensions with the rest of the world. x 3.

I can not say for sure whether it will get into 1.2.10, but the probability is. I will try.
1. GPS 1x
2. GPS 3x
3. GPS 6x
4. GPS 13x
5. Auxiliary Sabot
6. Auxiliary HE
7. CWS aka .50 cal length of one horizontal risks - 5 mil
8. CWS Indications rangefinder to check the grid

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/03/14 04:02 PM

More than any other part of DCS World, CA needs EDGE and Nevada.

The Jedi Master

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/03/14 07:26 PM

The Jedi Master

Wowza! You got me there... two platoons of tanks versus two other platoons of tanks around the Nevada desert!

DCS CA had my curiosity, now it has my attention! biggrin

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/03/14 07:38 PM

Agreed. It's the ground units who suffer most from the low-res terrain mesh. It's like fighting on a series of vast, 1km wide triangular parking lots.
Posted By: Stratos

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/03/14 07:44 PM

The CA updates look great, but there are no news concerning all this 3d models? Hope they are added soon, and crewable!!

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/04/14 04:18 PM

Video of some upcoming features.

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/04/14 05:00 PM

Stratos, that models coming on future updates.
Posted By: murkz

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/04/14 07:06 PM

Thank you Remon for the YouTube, it is nice to see what's coming to CA
Posted By: Stratos

Re: Combined Arms update - 09/04/14 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Silver_Dragon
Stratos, that models coming on future updates.

Any official word? And they will be crewable?
Posted By: Apocalypse31

Re: Combined Arms update - 10/12/14 12:51 PM

Realism aside, this is still miles behind Steel Beasts.

I'm interested to see if they'll incorporate playable infantry forces to make it a true combined arms experience.

ESim has been clear that Steel Beasts will not have infantry play ability
Posted By: scrim

Re: Combined Arms update - 10/12/14 01:13 PM

Really hoping they're doing something about the trees now then, since I foresee that issue being even more frustrating than sitting in an attack helicopter.
Posted By: Tyco

Re: Combined Arms update - 10/12/14 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Apocalypse31
Realism aside, this is still miles behind Steel Beasts.

I'm interested to see if they'll incorporate playable infantry forces to make it a true combined arms experience.

ESim has been clear that Steel Beasts will not have infantry play ability

Its unlikely. Something similar to Steel Beasts will most likely be the closest it will get. The work that it would take to make a worthwhile infantry experience, I think, is beyond the capability of ED. They simply dont have the manpower for it. As it is, CA is very much a side project already. Although with the potential release of new helicopters I hope that ED takes a second look at infantry to make it a more worthwhile experience for helo pilots. Right now its a bit static.

Re: Combined Arms update - 06/19/15 11:11 PM

New music to Combined Arms by Btd.

https://youtu.be/_lEyfuyMOuQ

Btd Soundcloud channel.
https://soundcloud.com/btd

Re: Combined Arms update - 10/03/15 11:47 AM

Could you imagine Steel beasts as a module for DCS world.
I know at least one of the developers was in favour of such a co-operation
It truly IMO would have been something special.

Re: Combined Arms update - 11/17/15 12:50 PM

Pseudo Radar PIP and fire control on Sa-15 1.5.1 Beta
https://youtu.be/ufQeq_2X614

Re: Combined Arms update - 11/19/15 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Silver_Dragon
Pseudo Radar PIP and fire control on Sa-15 1.5.1 Beta
https://youtu.be/ufQeq_2X614

Nice, if they simulate getting an EWR feed and a suitable switch on engagement radar delay we have an exciting air defense role.

Re: Combined Arms update - 11/19/15 06:12 PM

Wait, is this user created content or it's vanilla?
Posted By: nirvi

Re: Combined Arms update - 11/19/15 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: komemiute
Wait, is this user created content or it's vanilla?

Vanilla biggrin

Re: Combined Arms update - 11/19/15 07:51 PM

WOW
© 2024 SimHQ Forums