homepage

Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff

Posted By: Para_Bellum

Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 04:00 PM

Or: A Dummy's Guide to DCS: Black Shark. biggrin

Since quite a few people have mentioned a demand for a basic tutorial that covers the very 1st steps in this great sim I thought I'd give it a go. This tutorial is intended for the newbie, someone who just got the game, browsed through the manual and key chart and now sits in front of his PC, eager to blow up stuff, yet utterly confused by the complexity of this simulation.

It is NOT intended as an "in-depth" learning tool, but as a quickstart guide to get you airborne ASAP. It does NOT cover the complex start-up routines nor any intricate descriptions of 'advanced stuff' like the ABRIS operation.

What it does is make you familiar with the basic operation of the Ka-50, basically: taking off and blowing up stuff. smile

While I use a simplified approach regarding many advanced aspects of the simulation, this tutorial is intended to be played at "full realism", because IMO "relaxed settings" often teach bad habits which are difficult to lose once you make the transition to higher realism settings.

I'll add the mission once I've finished the writing.

**** Link to the tutorial in PDF form, thanks to EAF331 MadDog! ****

Thanks to Yurgon the tutorial mission now works in DCS World! He's also hosting the mission file, thanks!

*** Link to the(DCS world compatible) mission file. Just place the file into your ...1c/Eagle Dynamics/Ka-50/Missions folder. ***

**** And (again thanks to Yurgon) here the mission for the original Black Shark 1: Download Link ****

Here we go!

So now you're sitting in your brand-new Ka-50, it's a beautiful morning, and you're staring at a gazillion instruments labelled in a strange language. You took a look at the massive PDF manual and besides the sudden urge for Vodka in large quantities haven't really a clue what to do now.

Don't worry, we'll have you blasting stuff in no time! hahaha

First, take a look around the cockpit:

Looks great, eh? But don't worry, you don't need half of those instruments, buttons, knobs and switches to actually fly the helicopter and use its weapons system. Sounds good? Yep.

We start with an easy training mission: take off, fly to waypoint 2, shoot some tanks, fly to waypoint 3, shoot some very, very bad people and their very, very bad... uhm... tents, then head back home for a late breakfast.

First: the most important key command for a new pilot: left win+home. This combination auto-starts all systems so you don't have to do the start-up yourself. Once all systems are online we can prepare the bird for the mission.

We start with bringing up the map display on the ABRIS screen. The ABRIS is an incredible powerful system, but for now we'll simply use it to show the map.

See the four buttons under the ABRIS screen? Press the (1), the one labelled NAV, then (2), labelled MAP. Now the ABRIS should show the map, you can use (3) and (4) buttons to increase/decrease the scale of the map.

For navigation in this mission we will use the PVI-800 system. Click on the button in the upper left corner to enter WAYPOINT mode, then click on 1 to select waypoint 1. You can select each waypoint by simply clicking its corresponding number. The Airfield Mode button will select the airfield you took off, then the airfield you intend to land on if it's different from the take-off location.

Next we take a look at some of the basic instruments:

One of the most important instruments is the VVI, the vertical velocity indicator. Always have an eye on this vital instrument, especially when flying at low altitude, which is what you'll be doing most of the time if you want to stay alive.

Two instruments below is the HSI which doesn't concern us for the moment but keep in mind that in the upper left corner it shows the distance in km to the currently selected waypoint.

Next we have the Indicated Airspeed Indicator and the Radar Altimeter. While we're at it, click on the little knob on the altimeter, keep the mouse button pressed and drag the mouse to set the "dangerous altitude". I've set mine here to 30m, this is the altitude where you'll get a beeping warning.

The final step before taking off will be the setting of our countermeasures dispenser.

It's fairly simple, actually. The digital readout has two modes: it either shows the amount of flares left or the program settings. In the pic above it shows the latter. You can switch between both display modes with the lever on the right side. Opposite to that is the side release switch which governs on which side the flares are dispensed, which is shown by the red lights on the digital readout. In the pic the flares will be dispensed on both sides.

The "number of sequences" button governs how many sequences run each time you press the "dispense" button. The "number of flares/sequence" how many flares are released in each sequence, and the "interval" button puts a pause between sequences. "Reset" resets the program, "Stop" stops the current sequence and "Dispense" dispenses the flares.

In this pic I've setup the program so that 3 flares will be dispensed on both sides of the helicopter, this sequence will run 2 times, with an interval (pause) of 5 seconds.

Ok, now let's get going!

With all system running we carefully increase the collective until the helicopter takes off. Carefully stabilize the aircraft at 50m. Yes, carefully. wink
The Ka-50 is very sensitive to control inputs, there's nothing worse then trying to "chase the controls". Once you start swinging back and forth all over the place things can get nasty quickly. To avoid this, use the autopilot settings and the auto-hover (left-ALT-t) function. Think about the autopilot less as a fully automated device that flies you from A to B but rather as a stabilization system for a very touchy aircraft.

Basically, you want to have the autopilot modes for pitch, bank and lateral/heading ALWAYS ON and using the TRIM function every time you move the cyclic controls. Yes, every time.

I know, it sounds a bit tedious, but the quicker you get used to it, the better. Map the trim function to a Joystick button and get used to press it whenever you move the stick, then release it again. You will be rewarded by a much more stabilized flight. You can switch off the autopilot/stabilization via the flight director mode, but I prefer leaving them all on and using the trim to change the flight profile.

Practice hovering! It's the most important manuever for a helicopter pilot. Always use the auto-hover function. And don't forget to switch it off when done hovering... wink

You can also see the switch for the anti-collision light, which we'll switch off once we're clear of the airbase. We won't go into indian territory with all fancy lights flashing and blinking, no Sir!

Ok, now we're stabilized, hovering at around 50m, all's fine. We can see the steerpoint carat on the HUD which will lead us towards waypoint 1, and the HUD also displays altitude, heading and speed. Since we're in hover mode the hover point reference circle is also displayed on the HUD, it's basically a top-down view with the little square depicting the hover point, which helps maintaining a position during hover. And in the corner of the HIS we see that we're just 6km from our 1st waypoint. Use the rudder to place the steerpoint carat right onto the little inverted triangle, which is the current heading marker. Now, let's switch off auto-hover, press the trim button, lower the nose by moving the cyclic controls forward and increase collective so that we don't lose altitude. Once the nose is ~10°down we can release the trim button and should be picking up speed. And raise the gear ("g") wink

Try to stabilize the aircraft at 50m altitude, 150 km/h.

After we've reached WP2 select WP3 by clicking on the corresponding number on the PVI 800. You should notice the steerpoint carat move, change course to put it on the heading marker again.

Now that you're clear of the airbase, switch off the anti-collision light and the navigation lights.

The switch has four positions: 10%, 30%, 100% and OFF.

Excellent! We're right on course to our 1st targets, we're not blinking like a christmas tree anymore and the Ka-50 looks mighty cool. copter

As we approach waypoint 3 we should get a message telling us to prepare our weapons systems. The armoured targets are supposed to be on the other side of that ridge on a road, so we better setup our systems from a safe position.

Press trim, pull up the cyclic, release trim, lower the collective. You should now lose speed without gaining altitude. Carefully approach the ridge in front of you, reduce speed to 0 and engage auto hover. You should be behind the ridge line, in a steady hover position.

Take a look at the PUI-800 Weapon Status and Control Panel and the Targeting Mode Control Panel:

Let's start with the Weapon Status and Control Panel, directly below the Shkval display. The cute little plane with the funky lights show the weapon presence indicator (yellow) and the weapon readiness indicator (green) which display the selected weapon. Select the outer hardpoints. Below to the left the NC readout shows that our currently selected weapon is an AT-missile (Vikhr), and that 12 of them are loaded. The 24 readout next to it shows the (currently selected) ammo for the cannon, x10.

To the left of the little plane is the Master Arm switch, which should be in the ON position (up) so that we can fire our weapons. Below that is the Weapon Control Switch which should ALWAYS be on AUTO ("ABT") position. To the right of that is the Weapon Mode Selector which selects either short, medium or long burst for the cannon or the corresponding fire mode when firing rockets. When firing Vikhr missiles it designates whether the missiles are fired single or in pairs. I usually fire Vikhr in single mode.

The Targeting Mode Control Panel:
Here we need to switch the Laser Standby selector ON. Next we press the Ground Moving Target button. Your first targets won't move, but it's good to practice it nevertheless so you won't miss moving targets later on by forgetting to turn this system on. The Automatic Turn on Target is a nifty little feature that will automatically turn the helicopter towards a designated target, you need to click on it once you've designated a target via the Skval, or press "q".

Ah, and uncage the Shkval targeting system with "o".

Now you're ready to fire.

Disengage auto hover and carefully move up the ridge. While still in cover slow down again and initiate auto hover again. Then increase collective to slowly rise above the ridge.

For this attack we will use the helmet-mounted sight to set up the attack.

Engage the helmet-mounted sight with "h". Slave the Shkval view to the helmet sight reticule by pressing and holding "o". You can now scan the target area. You should spot three tanks right in front of you, on the road in front of a forested hill. Release "o". The Shkval sight should now be stabilized on the ground near the tanks.

You can now zoom in/out ("=" and "-") and adjust the TV target frame ("[" and "]"). Move the target frame onto a tank.

Now press the lock target key ("ENTER"). The "TT" symbol in the Shkval display should now change to "TA", "auto tracking target", and you should see the "TA-NA"-message ("auto tracking target-range indicator") on the HUD.

***Move cyclic so that the target LOS circle on the HUD is INSIDE the Vikhr launch circle.***

Now you should get launch authorization (a "C" on the Shkval display), hold the target circle inside the launch circle and keep the "Release Weapons" button (right alt- space) pressed until the missile launches. You need to keep the button pressed for a second to actually launch a missile.

If you've done everything correct, you should see this:

Well done, now destroy the two remaining tanks, then it's time for rockets and the cannon. But watch out, if you get careless by flying too high or getting too close the tanks WILL engage you. So, if your laser warning starts flashing you better be quick in finishing them off or go hiding behind a hill!

:WinkNGrin:

...to be continued...
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 04:11 PM

thx a mil...printed and preparing for my first simulation flight...
Posted By: Fridge

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 04:24 PM

Same here! Very well done. I look forward to my flight tonight and to Part II.

:-)
Posted By: Mogster

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 05:32 PM

Nice, just what's needed, this should be made sticky.
Posted By: 20mm

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 05:46 PM

Outstanding!

Sticky it is!
Posted By: kramer

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 05:57 PM

great job! this is what we need to get us going.
Posted By: Cougar_DK

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 07:27 PM

Thanx for posting this - a great guide.
Posted By: SlapStik

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 09:13 PM

Wow, did I ever need this!! Thanks!
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 09:45 PM

OMG, I' am getting a headache reading about even these "simplified" procedures! - I will need a life in a parallel universe to get to the bottom of this sim... Beginning to see Dart's point more clearly now...
Posted By: Dart

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 09:49 PM

WooHoo!

Now this is what I was hoping to hear!
Posted By: Stratos

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 10:20 PM

Excellent!! I created my own mission for use the procedure and works great. Same training mission will be greatly apreciatted.
Posted By: Vaporblast

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/01/08 11:12 PM

you are now a GOD !
Posted By: Paradaz

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 12:10 AM

Awesome Para, just what the doctor ordered

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 12:21 AM

Thanks for all the kind words! woot

Here's the second part of the mission:

With the tanks at waypoint 2 destroyed we deactivate auto hover and press "BACKSPACE" to set the HUD back to NAV mode. Click on the "3" on the PVI-800 to set it as next waypoint. Fly over the ridge into the valley and follow the road towards the next waypoint, watch the burning tanks and set up in front of the next hill for a hover again:

Since the targets at steerpoint 3 consist of infantry and some tents we will use unguided rockets and cannon fire to destroy them. You should now be safely auto hovering in cover, ready to setup the weapons systems. First, take look at the right rear panel:

Make sure that the Unguided Rocket/Gunpod Ballistic Data Settings Switch is set to 0, which is the required setting for our S-8 rockets.

Select the rockets by selecting the correct weapons stations ("u") and set the burst length to medium/CP. This will ensure that we fire a whole salvo of rockets when pressing the trigger. We have 40 S-8 rockets on board, so we don't need to economise on them. Also set the weapon system mode switch on the targeting mode control panel to "fix cannon to boresight"/HNY

With weapons set now uncage the Shkval again ("o"), leave hover position (remember to switch off auto hover), and slowly move forward around the hill, following the road. Use the Shkvall optics to search for the targets (I have the Shkval controls mapped to my Joystick hat switch since I use a Track IR for view control, works like a charm). Soon you should spot some infantry on the road and a couple of tents nearby.

Lock up a target, put the aiming reticule over the target mark and fire once you get the launch authorization (a "C" on HUD and Shkval screen). Remember that you can use the "automatic turn to target" button on the targeting mode control panel or by pressing "q". Enjoy the explosions. hahaha

If you have aimed well, which actually isn't that easy with those unguided rockets, especially if you haven't yet managed to steadily control your helicopter, the target should now look like this:

Rinse and repeat.

If you're such a terrible shot like me than a couple of infantry will probably have survived your aerial assault. And now you're out of those cool exploding rockets. Bugger!
But fear not, because now we get to play around with the cannon! Yay!

Check the targeting mode control panel again and set the switch to moving cannon/automatic weapons mode/NNY again. That is, move the switch to the 12 o'clock position.

We can now use the cannon by moving the Shkval designator around. You don't have to actually lock up targets (especially since we deal exclusively with static targets), just place the TV frame over stuff you want to kill. Just keep in mind that in the Ka-50 the cannon is mounted on the right side, which results in a limited traverse capability to the left. If your cannon doesn't fire although you have locked up a target in range, then the target is most probably outside the "gate" you see on the HUD and which is located a bit to the right due to the weapon's position.

Now clear the target area of all remaining targets.

Once you have eliminated all targets you should get a message telling you to head back to the base. Hit "BACKSPACE" again to reset the HUD to NAV mode, use the PVI-800 to set the next waypoint and fly home, preferably without crashing into something solid. wink

Once you approach the last waypoint you can again switch on the anti-collision and navigation lights for extra atmosphere and karma points.

Choose your landing point, reduce speed and come to a hover. Lower gear and carefully reduce collective to enter a slow descent. Make small corrections as necessary, DON'T OVERREACT and DON'T CHASE THE CONTROLS. Use auto hover.

Once safely on the Rodina again, hit "left win + end" to perform an auto shut-down.

Congratulations, you've completed this tutorial!

cheers

I hope you did learn a thing or two and enjoyed the reading. I apologize for any errors/mistakes/blurs, I'm still learning, too. pilot

I'll put up the mission to download ASAP.

***** Here is the mission file: *****

Link

right-click, save as...

Simply put it in your ...1c/Eagle Dynamics/Ka-50/Missions folder.

Cheers,

Para_Bellum

Posted By: Legend

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 01:34 AM

Spasibo, Komrade Para_Bellum.

*insert Lenin order
Posted By: Corsair8X

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 02:07 AM

I've only just read the first part and I can't say enough how helpful and informative this has been. You've done an excellent job at writing a "For Dummies" guide that does not insult nor talk down to those not in the know. Thank you very much for doing such a fantastic job.

I would recommend that far from being a sticky, perhaps this should be extracted and placed in the Air Combat archives as well. I think this is a very informative article.

Again, thank you for all your hard work.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 02:24 AM

well Black Shark Week starts in a few hours, so you never know... good write up...

THX
Posted By: Snakeyes

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 02:57 AM

Very nice work Para_Bellum. I learned most of this through doing, reading, trial and error over the Thanksgiving holiday. Your guide should help new Ka50 pilots get going in no time at all. It clarified some things for me and introduced some new ideas. Thanks for your effort!

copter
Posted By: Lucky

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 03:33 AM

I've been doing pretty good since I downloaded BS. But, your tutorial shows me some things I wasn't doing.

Thanks Para_Bellum
Posted By: EagleEye[GER]

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 10:36 AM

Great tutorial Para!
Let me know if you want to fly some multiplay missions with me.
Posted By: eonel

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 11:22 AM

Fantastic stuff. More, more more.....
Posted By: goon

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 11:36 AM

Not only very informative and clear, but a very entertaining read on a slow morning at work. Well done!

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 12:01 PM

Thanks a lot for all the praise, I'm really flattered!

I never expected so much positive reaction.

wave2
Posted By: Iceman

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 02:19 PM

Wonderful , many thank's
Posted By: Fridge

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Thanks a lot for all the praise, I'm really flattered!

I never expected so much positive reaction.

wave2

You never knew how bad we all were at helicopter systems :-)
Posted By: Wigean

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 03:06 PM

Para_Bellum,
Thank you for the tutorial.

I d/l your mission file, but can`t get it to work.
I get a rar containing 1 mission file and 1 options file.
I copied the mission file to the folder, but i doesn`t show up as a .miz file.
Can you (or anybody) help me sort it out?

Thx

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 03:31 PM

You shouldn't get a RAR file, just a single .miz file named "tutorial01".

Where did you get a RAR file from?

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 03:44 PM

Hmm,
I saved as from your link.
I meant winrar zip file.
When I unpack it I get those 2 files that I mentioned above.
I retried now with the same result.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 03:58 PM

Ah! I think I understand. You are not supposed to unzip/unrar the file. Just place the file you downloaded into your missions folder.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 04:25 PM

Ok, I got it. The .miz file is indeed a packed file, I can open it with WinRar/WinZip and see the two files you mentioned. But you don't need to unpack it.

Simply place the downloaded file into your mission directory. Don't unzip, don't unrar it, simply place the file tutorial01 you downloaded in the mission folder, start the game and see if it shows up.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 04:30 PM

Sorry PB,
I tried that and it won`t show up.
LOL, funny how the tinyest thigs are impossible. I `m going out to blow up some tanks and I`m unable to move some small data files around. Oh well.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 04:37 PM

Honestly, I'm at a total loss here. nope

I just renamed the original tutorial01 file in the mission folder, then downloaded (right-click, save as) the file 'tutorial01' as linked in my post. Then I right-clicked on the downloaded file, ->cut, and pasted it into the mission folder.

Started BS and I can select it in the mission screen without any problems.

I have no idea what the problem is, I'm sending the file to your email address now, but I doubt it'll change much.

Could anyone please download the file, place it in the correct folder and report back if there's a problem?
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 04:50 PM

Just tried - It all works as advertised. Mission appears in menu.

Perhaps Norwegian could check the file name?

I'm not sure how the file might appear as zipped. Mine has a .MIZ tag as downloaded.

Cheers!

Edit - Using Firefox, too.
Posted By: Lucky

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 04:56 PM

The problem only happens with Internet Explorer. If I right-click-save in Firefox I get the correct file.
Posted By: Dachs

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/02/08 07:52 PM

No problems here, just flew the mission and it was great.
Drifted in to firing range of the tanks twice, while fiddling with the weapon systems, but got back at them the third time attack
Feels kind of wrong to shoot at my old ride though! But hey, they drew first blood, not me cool

Thanks alot for the mission!

And I'm using Firefox too, if that helps any..
Posted By: SpyDoc

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/03/08 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Iceman
Wonderful , many thank's

What all of them said...DITTO!

Thanks bigtime, or ...

THANKS!
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/03/08 08:46 AM

I hope Para_bellum will forgive me, but I took the liberty to create an PDF of the tutorial, for ease of printnig for people.

It's currently at

http://home.ifi.uio.no/~oysteint/test/Black_Shark_tutorial.pdf

Cheers
Řystein

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/03/08 11:24 AM

I totally forgive you. biggrin

Great job, MadDog!

thumbsup

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/03/08 08:10 PM

Para, can you sue him?

Breach of screenshots? stirthepot
Posted By: Threshor

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/05/08 11:38 PM

Nice tutorial Para_Bellum.

My WinRAR program wanted to make a zip out of it, so I just edited the extension from .zip to .miz before I saved.
Posted By: eonel

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/06/08 01:08 PM

When I downloaded through Internet Explorer it converted the .MIZ suffix to a .ZIP. To get it the mission to work you need to rename the file to .MIZ

I had further problems with Vista trying to rename the file. Through Vista Explorer it appeared I had renamed the file correctly to to tutorial01.miz but in reality the rename had called the file tutorial01.miz.zip

I had to resort to the DOS prompt to rename the file properly but then the mission worked.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/06/08 03:53 PM

Exist any way to use the rockets without the Skhval? simply getting a gunsight of where the rockets will impact??
Also what is the range of the rockets and gun??

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/06/08 05:24 PM

How can I activate this gunsight??

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/06/08 05:51 PM

in the bottom middle of my screenshot you can see a knob that can be used to cycle the hud modes. put it on "CETKA" for the reticle. clicking on it with the mouse will cycle through the 3 hud modes.

the keyboard shortcut is Right Shift + the 8 key.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/06/08 05:58 PM

Thank's a lot mate!! Really aprecciated!

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/06/08 06:03 PM

do you have the English manuals and keychart? the Ka-50 has a lot of interesting systems and i try to read the manuals for a while each day to try to learn about them.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/06/08 07:23 PM

Just printing smile the problem is that I have almsot no time this days, so I want to take off, blow up some stuff and land in under 30 mins frown

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/08/08 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Stratos
Just printing smile the problem is that I have almsot no time this days, so I want to take off, blow up some stuff and land in under 30 mins frown

I`ve got almsot too!
Had to stay home for 2 days for recovery.
I was able to log some hours though... biggrin

Sorry couldn`t resist.
Posted By: uhoh6

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/09/08 04:02 AM

Thanks again for your great intro mission.

would love to see another mission at your convenience.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/09/08 09:43 AM

Any possibility to see other procedures like:

A-A combat??

I found some Hinds on my missions and will apreciatte a way to shoot them down

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/09/08 01:35 PM

New missions are a possible, yes. Unfortunately GTA IV for the PC currently sucks away my gaming time, will need a couple of more days R&R in Liberty City before I return to the Black Sea cost.

wink
Posted By: TheHobbit

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/12/08 05:53 AM

There's a lot of manuals for this game, but I still had no idea where to start.

This guide is amazingly helpful. I used it to successfully start up, hover, and land while learning about autopilot (had no idea), trim, and all the little lights.

I can't wait to go through the whole thing, but it's nice being able to learn without having to dive into the 300+ page manual yet or die repeatedly.
Posted By: schmeeling

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/14/08 06:05 PM

Just like to add my voice to the chorus of thanks and hurras. Super helpful.

Anybody got any opinions on the "best" single mission or campaign or training path or whatever to follow on from Para's tutorial?

Cheers,

Schmeeling
CYVR
Posted By: Dusty Rhodes

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/14/08 08:02 PM

Para, you helped me finger out what I was doing wrong in shooting the Vikr. Forgot to set the laser to standby. Gonna try that and see if that gives me shoot authorization. I too made a small mission just for training in navigation and weapons employment. Until I am proficient at both, and landing the chopper, I am not even going to attempt the missions and campaign as I would embarass myself and that would just piss me off. Thanks again.
Posted By: Chipwich

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/14/08 08:37 PM

One little addition to this brilliant guide, selecting hardpoints is not mentioned until the rocket section. It might be good to mention that it is a Collective function. As I recall, no hardpoints are selected by turning on the Master Arm switch. Or did I miss that?
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/15/08 10:27 PM

I would like add my thanks to Para_Bellum for this great guide - it's really helping me get into this complex sim!
Posted By: BuddyWoof

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/16/08 02:46 AM

Hi,
I downloaded the mission file for this tutorial

http://freenet-homepage.de/parabellum/tutorial01.miz

and was expecting a .miz file but when I open the zip file that gets downloaded, it only contains a file called missions and options. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for this tutorial. I have yet to blow anything up with this simulation!
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/16/08 03:52 AM

Hey BuddyWoof, that's discussed earlier in the thread. For some reason IE changes the extension - just rename it with the .miz extension and it works.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/16/08 04:01 AM

Thanks Arthonon. so add .miz to both files? These threads get so big, it's hard to spot certain info even if you read the entire thread

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/16/08 05:01 AM

scratching my head. For some reason, when I download the file, the filename is tutorial01.zip. So you mean, get rid of the .zip extension and rename it tutorial01.miz right? I think I got it now. Thanks.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/16/08 05:50 AM

light bulb over my head.

Thanks for your help!
Posted By: AntiGravity

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/18/08 12:17 AM

Thanks PB! This is excellent!

also thanks to Mad dog for the pdf conversion.

gonna print this out and learn to kick some butt now!
Posted By: joe_pineapples

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/18/08 11:44 PM

would also like to add my thanks for this great piece of work, and the handy pdf conversion.

joe

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/19/08 01:21 AM

Guys, I just noticed something strange! For days now I've been practicing hover hold maneuvers playing the Instant Action with no success. Whenever I enter a hover, the helicopter would slowly drift and eventually gain speed and will not remain in the hover.

HOWEVER, when I played the tutorial01.miz mission, I can hover and there is no drift! I'm using the exact same sequences in both the tutorial mission AND the Instant Action mission but I can hover in one of them and not the other. Could it be a bug with the Instant Action mission causing everyone to have a hard time figuring out how to hover? I mean, hovering was so easy to achieve with the tutorial01.miz mission.

Happy Hunting Everyone.
Posted By: Oqvist

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/19/08 06:11 AM

Here is my dumb question... Where is the auto hover button lol. Is it the "altitude hold" that is referred to auto hover?

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/19/08 06:22 AM

Lalt-T is hover on/off. Altitude hold is a different function which is Lshift-A. Altitude hold is good to use when you are actually moving. Hover on/off works when you are stationary.

Anyway, thanks for this tutuorial Para_Bellum, thanks to you I can now take off, blow up tanks, and make cannon fodder out of the infantry, head home and land. It is an awesome tutorial. I think I may even be ready for a campaign. smile

Regards,
Posted By: Chipwich

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/19/08 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BuddyWoof
Guys, I just noticed something strange! For days now I've been practicing hover hold maneuvers playing the Instant Action with no success. Whenever I enter a hover, the helicopter would slowly drift and eventually gain speed and will not remain in the hover.

I'm no expert, but if you trim slightly pitch down in auto-hover, you will creep. What I do is look out the side window and if creeping, add a little nose up input and re-trim. The instant action scenario is interesting because it requires so much collective to maintain altitude. Not sure if that is due to having full fuel, weapons, and altitude, but the VSI definitely needs to be watched carefully. Also, pitch seems to change with weapons release, then return to stable.
Posted By: Oqvist

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/19/08 05:37 PM

thanks but there is no actual button to click to activate it? Is it available in the real KA-50 or an aid to make life simpler?
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/19/08 06:54 PM

I have noticed the same thing with the instant action mission.

Try cancelling trim - Ctrl T - I think this interferes with autohover sometimes.

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/19/08 07:28 PM

There is a bug. I confirmed it with CTRL-Enter function.

In cold start missions, when Reset Trimmer is pressed, the joystick goes to neutral (where the two lines cross). But in Instant Action missions, when Reset Trimmer is pressed, the joystick DOES NOT got to neutral but slightly forward of neutral on the Y-axis.

I think this is why so many folks are reporting TRIM and Hover issues. I hope ED can fix this in the next patch.

FYI - I'm using a FF joystick. Maybe this is a bug just with FF joysticks and Instant Action only and only certain joystick models are affected.

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/19/08 09:25 PM

WORKAROUND FOUND. Hovering and Trimming is now a BREEZE!

This is definately a bug with FF joysticks and I found plenty of threads on it for Flaming Cliffs. It looks like with Force Feedback enabled, reset trim does not go to neutral for BS in Instant Action. The workaround is the following:

The Fix\Work Around:
Disable Force Feedback in the Producer.cfg file.

Find it here:
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\Config

What to do:
Change the TRUE flag to FALSE
Posted By: kid_SA

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/22/08 04:53 PM

what exactly does the trim do with force feedback?

I've got a home-made long-throw stick that doesn't return to center, but has friction resistance instead.

It's pretty nifty for Black Shark, but the trim sends the shark to hell and gone. The stick is non-FF so the game expects me to center whenever I press trim. Thus if I don't center the stick (and I don't actually know where center is, the stick just is where I need it at the time) the input is doubled. Help?

Should I just forget about trim entirely, or enable FF even though my stick doesn't have it, or what?

EDIT: whoops, sorry, I posted in the wrong thread. Firefox tabbed browsing gave me vertigo wacky

I found the answer in the trim thread, I think (imagine that)
Looks like I should just leave trim alone and not touch it.

Sorry for asking an answered question. Nice thread!
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/25/08 01:26 AM

Just gotta add my thanks to ParaBellum for taking the time to make this tutorial. While I'm learning the details of this sim, it's really nice to just take a break and shoot some things. Good work, ParaBellum!
Posted By: Ejected

Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 12/28/08 05:08 AM

I've read all the stuff about renaming the compressed zip file to tutorial01.miz,... I downloaded and did that, placed the renamed file in the missions directory, then via properties I unblocked it, but it doesn't show up. I'm running VISTA Ultimate, I don't know if that has some unknown effect. I noticed in my properties box that the file opens with Windows Explorer?? Should that be changed to open with BlackShark? Can somebody end my frustration an email a copy of tutorial01.miz.
My email is: tonypiech@comcast.net .

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 12/28/08 05:24 AM

email sent with the mission attached.
Posted By: Ejected

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 12/28/08 06:08 AM

Originally Posted By: kramer
email sent with the mission attached.

Thanks so much, Kramer (You Da Man), thumbsup same for Para. Got it loaded into BlackShark with no problem. Don't uderstand why it was a no-go before, must have been VISTA and all of it's security controls.
Posted By: uhoh6

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 12/28/08 07:06 AM

para got me going too-----now maybe it's time for a "missions" sticky, where brave mission builders can post their stuff.

I know there's one at ED, but be nice to have one here too.
Posted By: Wiseman

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/30/08 10:23 PM

Thank you for this tutorial, it is a big help! Two thumbs up for your effort.
Posted By: LoyalNine

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/01/09 08:17 PM

Para -- I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I finally got through it. It took foolish me 2 nights and way more than a few tries but I did learn a lot going step by step.

I feel like targeting things takes forever for me - definatrely will take me some getting used to. But this tutorial was a really big help.
Posted By: Sunjah

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/04/09 04:33 AM

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT Tutorial! I just flew it for the first time (is 4 hours a record?), and died for the first time.

Well, actually, I played about 7 or 8 and I could not hover. In "Shooting Range" mission, I have achieved pretty much 'mastery' of the initial hover after take-off (I love to just watch it from so many different angles). In this one, I kept losing it and going side to side and could not get a handle. Finally, I went to "Shift + F4" view, and I was able to bring it up, hover and then get down to 50 m. Weird!

I did have a question, though I think I know the answer. The guide says "As we approach waypoint 2, we should..." It is really waypoint 3, right? I never got the message, but as I approached waypoint 3 I did get the weapons message, and there was a ridge there, too. I went crazy looking for that ridge at waypoint 2. So I think I understand now.

Also, as tremndous as this is, it would probably help people to also put the link to the Adobe *.pdf file in the opening post.

*.pdf guide to Training Missions, pt. 1 & pt. 2

I copied it and pasted it to MS Word, and because of the pictures, I had to go in and manually edit all of them. Then today, I went to the second page here and almost died when I saw that *.pdf was available. Literally took about 2 hours to fit the thing within the margins...ugh!

The last thing, and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the mission, but WHAT IS UP WITH THE 3/4 TANK OF GAS? I am sitting, hovering just behind the ridge blocking out waypoint #3, my targeting and weapon systems are all-a-go, and I get a beeping...sure enough before I rolled her on the ground, side over side, I was able to look at the fuel guage and see I HAD RUN OUT OF GAS!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I just can't do it again right now, but tomorrow, THOSE TANKS ARE DUST-IN-THE-WIND!!!
By the way, keep the missions coming, whether training (very welcome) or regular (also welcome)!!!

Thanks!

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/04/09 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Sunjah
EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT Tutorial! I just flew it for the first time (is 4 hours a record?), and died for the first time.

Hehe... thanks.

I did have a question, though I think I know the answer. The guide says "As we approach waypoint 2, we should..." It is really waypoint 3, right? I never got the message, but as I approached waypoint 3 I did get the weapons message, and there was a ridge there, too. I went crazy looking for that ridge at waypoint 2. So I think I understand now.

Yes, my mistake. WP1 is the take-off waypoint, I just fixed the WP numbers, thanks for pointing that out.

Also, as tremndous as this is, it would probably help people to also put the link to the Adobe *.pdf file in the opening post.

I agree, just did that. smile

The last thing, and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the mission, but WHAT IS UP WITH THE 3/4 TANK OF GAS? I am sitting, hovering just behind the ridge blocking out waypoint #3, my targeting and weapon systems are all-a-go, and I get a beeping...sure enough before I rolled her on the ground, side over side, I was able to look at the fuel guage and see I HAD RUN OUT OF GAS!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Lol! hahaha

Honestly, I've never run out of gas in that mission, and I've played it quite a few times. You're sure that your crew chief hasn't bartered off some fuel for vodka? wink

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/05/09 05:48 AM

Lol! hahaha

Honestly, I've never run out of gas in that mission, and I've played it quite a few times. You're sure that your crew chief hasn't bartered off some fuel for vodka? wink

THAT'S IT! That would be the only thing that would make sense!!! Wait until the next time that boy dares to sleep!

--I'm going "in" for another try!

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/05/09 08:35 PM

'Dem tanks bleweded up REAL GOOD last night. ar15 tanksalot

When I went in to check out the damage, I got the "nose-up, wild, uncontrollable pitching" until I crashed.

--Going back in for the tent dudes crew

{Wonder if they'll blewed up as good as 'dem tanks?!?)

chili
Posted By: Plainsman

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/10/09 05:35 PM

I tried this but I couldn't get the mission to run. Just a black screen.

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/10/09 07:16 PM

Hmm... that's the 1st time I hear of technical problems with that mission, Plainsman. Maybe you had a corrupt download? Might be a good idea to re-download the mission. Otherwise I have no idea what could cause a crash. The mission is small and simple and runs on both russian and english versions. I didn't include fancy voiceovers or other stuff, it's just a couple of units, waypoints and a few triggers. Nothing that should cause a problem.

Did you get black screens in other missions, too?
Posted By: Atelophobia

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/03/09 05:26 PM

Thanks Para_Bellum for the best beginner source I ve seen so far.
Messed with manual and stuff a lot but I almost instantley forgot everything ^^

Now that it looks like I got how weapons work and trimming seems starting to work after disabling all return to center forces in my sidewinder software Id like to mess around in your tutorial missions together with my buddies who are also heli-sim noobs.

I tried to modify your mission. Seemed to be easy. Just placed Ka50 icons on the airport and selected client. However, starting it as a server I only found one free Ka50 slot.
Didn't get why the first heli is only marked as an "X"

Can anybody tell me how I can place a 4-Heli-Group controlled by players for COOP beginner training?
Posted By: rapid

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/04/09 02:16 PM

Para_Bellum you have done a great service for all the users of BS. I found the manual good but hard to implement without a proper training function. I didn't know where to begin but now i have your wonderfull "how to take off and blow stuff up" I can now focus and begin learing how to work the Aircraft.
The manual and training vids now make sense this is all due to the effort that you put into making this training masterpiece well done and good work.

Look forward to more stuff from you.
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/12/09 11:20 PM

I think the Black Shark boxed version should somehow incorporate this one... - But how should it be done? Just the pdf as a "quick start guide" or something more involved? - Ideas?
Posted By: Ming_EAF19

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/16/09 12:32 PM

Thanks Para_Bellum!

Ming
Posted By: slowhand

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/16/09 09:12 PM

hey bro come dwn to fla.USA and i'll buy ya a steak and a beer ..big help...many thxs
Posted By: vienna1210

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/23/09 11:39 AM

LOL friends

in basic its all not so complicated.

the engine part is like every other flying vehicle....you have APU (even in boieng, airbus....)
which has to be started first, then hydraulics (even in trucks) which has to pressure up, fuel cut-offs, electrical cut-offs, and starter....with only this systems you can primary start turbines...

of course, dont forget to start up all the other systems for navigatin, targeting, communication...and so on....but this is also not an oscar-award bringing issue .-)

regards to all
vienna
Posted By: Mogster

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/01/09 08:33 PM

Just been thinking.

As a follow on to this basic training mission, a mission and pdf outlining the squad commands and data link would round off peoples training and then they'd be ready for the campaigns.

The you'd hardly need to read the manual smile
Posted By: Tabula_Rasa

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/10/09 04:10 PM

"Map the trim function to a Joystick button and get used to press it whenever you move the stick, then release it again."

Does that include take off and hover?

thanks in advance

tr
Posted By: SSneg

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/19/09 08:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Tabula_Rasa
"Map the trim function to a Joystick button and get used to press it whenever you move the stick, then release it again."
Does that include take off and hover?

Take off, yes. In fact, you may want to trim even before you take off as default position of the flightstick is a bit tilted backwards.
Hover, yes. Even when stabilized by autopilot, you will experience effects of wind, turbulence, AP inprecision etc, which you'll need to correct manually, using trimmer.
Posted By: SSneg

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/19/09 09:20 AM

Very cool guide!
I found an error though: "You can switch off the autopilot/stabilization via the flight director mode, but I prefer leaving them all on and using the trim to change the flight profile"

F.Director mode does not switch AP on. Instead, it changes AP control span from 20% to 5% iirc, making the chopper more sensitive to fligth control inputs.
Posted By: Razor18

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/12/09 05:38 PM

Thanks Para_Bellum,

took me several tries, re-reading and lot of cursing till I realized you didn't mention the Weapon Selection (Vikhr) prior to launch, somewhere along pages 10-13 (between target designation and launch) in the .pdf. There wasn't of course any launch circle, without Vikhr being selected... Would be also better to mention cannon selection.

Please insert in the online as well as in the pdf to save others from the same mental torture... :-)

Posted By: radi0n

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/16/09 10:56 AM

Great tutorial buy i have little problem.
In ABRIS i pres the NAV button then MAP. In PVI-800 i click the upper left corner button then a click 1 to set 1 waypoint but in the HUD i have no STEERPOINT CABAT. what is the problem?

thank You!
Posted By: Grizzlebock

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/17/09 05:48 AM

Just awesome , i Got this sim just yesterday.
It's really mind boggling ,so much info , your pdf will really come in handy ( for the initial moment).

Thanks
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/23/09 05:03 AM

Good stuff, I might just get up the guts to try this thing soon! LOL
If that Apache and A-10 come out soon the decision will be made. As much as I want to have to time to learn a game like this and get the most out of it, I just don't ever have the time to stick with them long enough to get to the point of doing what I want. Sounds like this could be a really good game for me, especially with 2 of my most favorite aircraft coming up.
Posted By: Rocky49

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/28/09 10:50 PM

Can someone email me the mission file. I have tried changing the file by naming the file Tourial01.miz before downloading but still get a rar file everytime.

Thanks in advance

Rocky49

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/30/09 10:24 AM

EDIT:

Email sent.

Posted By: Speedbrake

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/13/09 03:23 PM

Great training mission! I too got a WinZip file when downloading and after several various tries, I finally typed in Tutorial01.miz on the screen you get when asked where to put it and also changed the automatic file type to All Files. This worked!

Now to the mission....I purposely didn't read your mission presentation since I wanted to test my skills (or lack thereof) without a visual cheat. My first attempt ended up under attack and blasted out of the sky as I attempted to locate the tanks. On my second attempt I fully took your message to heart and hovered behind the ridge before poping up and spoting the tanks. Took them out in good shape. For some reason I expected vehicles at the next battle point and when I couldn't spot anything other then road traffic, which I was tempted to "take out". I thought I had the wrong waypoint. I countnued to search the area from a distance and on the Shkval "wide view" still didn't spot anything. I thought maybe I needed to get closer to view around the bend in the road when I started taking small arms fire.....that was surprising! I dashed out of the immediate area, slowed, turned and entered another hover. I scanned back and still didn't spot anything. I finally switched to close-up on the Shkval and low and behold I spotted some neeling soldiers to my surprise. I didn't realize until then I was lookng for "tent dudes". I quickly targeted them with the cannon and the tents also blew up. On my way back the Ekran advised me that I was getting rather low on fuel. After landing, but before shutdown I got an engine fire warning on both engines - I discharged the extinguishers and quickly shut down the engines. I think it was a false warning as I viewed the aircraft from the outside and saw no smoke or fire. I did see plenty of bullet marking (my poor paint job) and a missing avionic panel on the right side of the aft fuselage. All in all it took about 51 minutes - with a few panic minute mixed in. As I opened with - great mission! Thanks!
Posted By: Ploppy

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/19/09 09:15 AM

Many many many thanks Para for your tutorial!

I play in a UK based international community (two really) with a lot of flying enthusiasts. We played Lockon together and IL2 and a good number of other games. We mainly play together since we have found a group of people who are not ashamed to be rather POO at games that take some skill to play (YES we enjoy them even if we are crap at them smile ).
The result is that we usually start from 0 and try to get everyone at least in the air having fun and ensuring we have one or two able to actually do whats needed on a mission so we also make "progress". The rest fly along for the fun and learn at their own pace.

Your tutorial has proven a perfect tool for "initiation" of new pilots. One, maybe two nights and anyone can get in the air and fly and have fun. You enabled a LOT of fun in Black Shark, so thanks for that! If you ever decide to make a sequel tutorial, Ill gladly lend a hand testing etc.

Originally Posted By: Atelophobia

..Can anybody tell me how I can place a 4-Heli-Group controlled by players for COOP beginner training?

This was also the very first thought I had. For our purposes it was essential to be on a server with the new pilots and watch them smile to give hints etc. I modified Para`s tutorial to allow up to 8 pilots to participate. I host it on my PC and the others connect to it. I tried to observe all the details required for multiplayer like different callsigns etc so you can use the radio and data links properly. Somehow I didnt get the numbers to show different on the choppers (Im a noob myself) and I also cant place them where I want them on the airfield (game editor doesnt allow it). The first 2-4 should start in the same place .. the rest start on a second pad slightly to the left. the rest is fine though. All choppers have the waypoints etc and we have tested it with 3 pilots at once so far.

Assuming ParaBellum forgive my messing around with his file, I'll upload the MP version. Im at work now but I`ll do it when I get home in about 6 hours.
Posted By: Ploppy

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/19/09 06:12 PM

Hmm it would seem the tutorial has been improved since I downloaded and messed with it so please dont get mad on me if some already fixed bugs resurface. If I get time over the weekend Ill try and squeeze out of my brain exactly what I changed to make it multiplayer and repeat the process on the latest tutorial1.miz file.

For now,please accept this link to the modified "old" version jic you need a MP fix on this superb tutorial before I get my derriere in motion:

http://www.multiplayers.co.uk/files/Tutorial1-MP08.miz

This chart by colonel_kurtz I found very helpfull when flying the tutorial (cheers kurtz):

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2622709/Quick_Start_Guide_anywhere.html
Posted By: RainMan

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/20/09 09:09 AM

Thank you, Para, for this excellent write-up. This one got me going in no time, even though I was missing a description on how to select the Vikhrs in the first place, as I skipped reading the manual(s) in favour of giving your "dummies' guide" a go. smile

But, after many times of running out of fuel while hovering, looking for a way to get to the darn Vikhrs, I finally found the outer pylon button...

So, all in all, a great tutorial and I learned a lot. smile
Posted By: malkuth

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/25/09 05:42 AM

Thanks for the mission. Just did it well I would say. I just bought BlackShark tonight and flew this mission well.

The only proplem is that I took so long learning and hovering that when I finished the 2nd part, the Helo just lost power, and the engine died down.

I think I ran out of gas.. LOL. Didn't make it home. DAM!
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: STICKY: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/29/09 02:32 PM

Thanks for making this tutorial Para. I've printed it out and I now have it on my desk next to my keyboard whenever I play Black Shark. I will continue to use it until I feel like I know what the heck I'm doing! smile
Posted By: tennek

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 09/08/09 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Ejected
I've read all the stuff about renaming the compressed zip file to tutorial01.miz,... I downloaded and did that, placed the renamed file in the missions directory, then via properties I unblocked it, but it doesn't show up. I'm running VISTA Ultimate, I don't know if that has some unknown effect. I noticed in my properties box that the file opens with Windows Explorer?? Should that be changed to open with BlackShark? Can somebody end my frustration an email a copy of tutorial01.miz.
My email is: tonypiech@comcast.net .

I am having the same problems with this file using Vista, could someone please send me a copy of the tutorial01.miz.
e-mail is tennek@roadrunner.com
Posted By: Smoke1

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 09/09/09 01:48 AM

tennek
On its way.

Smoke
Posted By: tennek

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 09/09/09 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Smoke1
tennek
On its way.

Smoke

Thank You the copy you sent worked fine whoohoo

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 09/19/09 01:55 AM

Me too, plz. Anyone: allaspect@comcast.net
Posted By: Smoke1

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 09/19/09 04:28 AM

Plainsman
Mission on its way.

Smoke

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 09/20/09 03:59 AM

Got it. Woo hoo, now I can train! Thank you, Smoke. smile
Posted By: Begemot

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 11/06/09 06:09 PM

Thanks so much for this Para, this is a much needed starting point for me!
Posted By: The Punisher

Re: Can't Get Tutorial01.miz to Show-Up - 12/15/09 10:34 AM

Thanks a lot for the tutorial. This is Great! One question: Does any one knows if there's an ABRIS tutorial "for dummies"?
Posted By: Tango

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/08/10 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: radi0n
Great tutorial buy i have little problem.
In ABRIS i pres the NAV button then MAP. In PVI-800 i click the upper left corner button then a click 1 to set 1 waypoint but in the HUD i have no STEERPOINT CABAT. what is the problem?

thank You!

radi0n

Fishing around a bit here, but if you've still got this problem then I would suggest that you might need to hit Backspace to reset the HUD from a weapon mode, either that or hit C to ensure that you don't have the cannon activated. Those are the only times that particular problem has arisen for me.
Posted By: FrOsTt

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/02/10 12:45 AM

Thanks for quick info tutorial smile
Posted By: Adverb

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/13/10 05:14 PM

Just want to add my thanks for the tutorial and training mission... I've flown it at least 15 times now and it's a wonderful tool for us newbies!
Posted By: hollywoody

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/15/10 05:29 PM

Hey guys, I am also having trouble downloading mission Tutorial01.miz I guess under IE it downloads in a zip file and then no matter what I do I cant get it BS to recognize it. Can someone please email me the tutorial01.miz mission to markwmercer@yahoo.com Thanks alot guys! cant wait to try it out....

hollywoody
Posted By: Adverb

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/16/10 09:43 PM

hollywoody:

I had the same issue at first. I opened up a DOS command prompt and located the file and manually had to change it to end in .miz instead of .miz.zip. After that it worked great! If that doesn't work I can send it to you later on tonight if no one gets to ya first.

AdVerb
Posted By: DeVoo

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/19/10 06:43 PM

Hey, Para_Bellum, I just wanted to let you know, that I really appreciate your "shortcut for flying" tutorial, before I found it, I playd BS only a few times in arcade style, tried reading official tutorial - it just very clumsily made, I think, especially when you compare it to Jane's tutorials, or even Falcon 4.0
Now I fly BS in realistic settings and enjoy it very much, so thank you!

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/20/10 05:26 PM

Glad to see you people found it helpful.

smile
Posted By: schkorpio

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/04/10 08:53 AM

simply awesome - this is the first sim i've ever played with the intention to learn it properly - and this tutorial really got me hooked smile

thanks again!
Posted By: jack72

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/14/10 04:02 PM

Trying to download the tutorial01 nad tutorial02...but only shows as zip file.

Can someone email the .miz versions of these files...thanks.

sjta@rogers.com

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/14/10 05:10 PM

Thanks Kramer...but it still doesn't work

I right clicket the link and "saved as" and adjusted as directed above. When I go into the directory to move the tutorial01.miz to the mission file in BCS, the file is still unpacked and I must go to the zip program to get the file that only says mission. I add the ".miz" there, and it shows up in the game but does not run.

Why,,,,

Never mind on above...being a male...it is hard to read instructions.

Also,,where does the options file go...in the options folder?--just want to be sure.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/14/10 05:16 PM

Posted By: Inkompetent

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/17/10 09:32 PM

Thanks for the lovely guide! Made me fly decently well and kill stuff with Vikhrs and the 30mm in no-time!
Posted By: Lurchi

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/15/10 04:48 PM

I also want to say "Thank you" for this excellent Guide into Black Shark.

Sadly i lost my tutorial.miz file during reinstallation for the v1.02 Patch - and the website where it was hosted is down now. Is there another place where i can download it?

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/15/10 09:41 PM

My hard disk crashed a couple of days ago, I'm not sure if I can retrieve the file, I'll look into that (and re-hosting it somewhere) tomorrow.

Posted By: Sykstring

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/21/10 09:10 PM

Any luck on finding the mission file? I just got my HOTAS setup thanks to the guys in a thread I started and thanks to 531 Ghost article on Control Mapping.

Now I want to follow your tutorial on "How to take off and blow stuff up."
Posted By: MadMax910

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/24/10 11:54 PM

EZ chaps

Can anyone please re-post the link to the mission file? The link is dead as a dead thing.

Or email it to me @ maxwilliamz@googlemail.com?

Thanks for writing the guide dude... much obliged and can't wait to try this out. Just got a Logitech g940 so want to see if its any good!

Cheers

M

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/27/10 02:40 PM

Mission file is up for downloading again!

boing
Posted By: Banjar

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/28/10 12:03 AM

Many thanks. Printing now to prep my first flight.
Posted By: pakfront

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/28/10 12:25 AM

Woo hoo! A great trainer and refresher. Thanks Para_bellum! clapping
Posted By: Sykstring

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/28/10 12:11 PM

Excellent, thanks. Now off to D/L it and give it another shot.
Posted By: Mavyalex

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 06/11/10 05:49 PM

Hello,

I can't select the Vikhr missiles and lock on a tankl with the helmet mounted device..I followed your tutorial, but could not switch on the laser.

I see the canon ammo (24 ) but not the vikhr...

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 06/12/10 12:44 PM

Make sure you have selected the correct hardpoint for the Vikhrs.
Posted By: tirta

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 08/05/10 01:38 PM

hi Para_Bellum,

thanks a lot for your excellent tutorial mission. biggrin
please let us know what other tutorial missions to do after mastering yours.
Posted By: TacResSpec

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 09/10/10 10:28 PM

I gave up and stopped playing this game for 6 months until I found this , since then Ive learnt so much more. Thanks dude and cheers for the inspiration.
Posted By: Bucic

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 10/02/10 11:43 AM

Posted By: TacResSpec

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 10/02/10 08:47 PM

Im probably wrong, but that doesnt seem right. eg.. 011 would be only 1 flare fired wouldnt it not 7
Posted By: Kendo Nagasaki

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 11/12/10 06:53 PM

Mission download link broken again - anyone have a copy they can mail me?

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 11/15/10 03:20 PM

I just checked and could download the file without problems.
Posted By: Kendo Nagasaki

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 11/16/10 02:10 PM

Dont know why, when I clicked on it a few days ago got a missing file error, but its now working fine. :thumbs:
Posted By: yonyz

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/11/10 04:21 PM

I'm having some serious problem:
After pulling the Collective up and raising to about 100 meters of altitude, I pull it slightly down until the helicopter stops going up. I then push the Collective a bit more for the heli to go down to 50m, and already at 70m altitude I pull the Collective up for the heli to stop at that height, but that doesn't stop my heli from continuing going down, until it crashes. So basically, I can't get my heli to the altitude I want it to hover at - 50 meters.
Posted By: Bulletstop

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/11/10 10:30 PM

You could be entering into the ring vortex state and it will cuase you to crash. Post the track and let us look at it.

Bullet

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/14/10 06:29 PM

How do I record the flight? Does the game have a built-in recording feature, or do I need to use a 3rd party program?
Posted By: jenrick

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/15/10 02:42 AM

When you exit out of the sim, the debrief screen has a button in the bottom center label'd "Save track" or something similar. Select that and save it, that saves a track of the flight that can be watched.

-Jenrick

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/19/10 09:31 PM

OK, I've become more aware of how the helicopter reacts to the collective stick, so I'm a lot more successful at stabilizing the helicopter.
Posted By: Vampyre

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/29/10 04:07 PM

I just checked and could download the file without problems.

hi there do you have the link please
V

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/03/11 03:52 PM

I am encountering two problems when following the tutorial:

1. I am unable to find the tanks or any enemies. Any tips on doing this, or do I simply need to scan the whole area with the Shkval targeting display?
2. Getting my weapons to shoot: the tutorial says: "... The cute little plane with the funky lights show the weapon presence indicator (yellow) and the weapon readiness indicator (green) which display the selected weapon. Select the outer hardpoints.". - How do I do that?

Also regarding the weapons thingy, mine doesn't look like in the tutorial, even after take off:

You only see the 24 number. The NC and other light are off. Why?

Posted By: normntaz

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/03/11 11:29 PM

It looks like your Master Arm switch is off.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/04/11 11:28 AM

That's because I didn't even take off. ALl the systems are off. However, it's the same after take off with the Master Arm switch on.
Posted By: SakuyaFM

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/04/11 04:39 PM

You need to select the proper pylon with Y/U/I. I have mine mapped to the bottom buttons on my Saitek AV8R.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/08/11 07:19 PM

That works. Thank you. Now I just need to understand how to hover, because I can't aim at the tanks like this. When I raise the cyclic to stop the helo from flying forward, it's like a rebound - the helo starts moving backwards after reaching 0 airspeed. More practice is needed, I guess. A lot more.
Posted By: Rusty_M

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/02/11 01:47 PM

This tutorial was the most useful thing ever!

Now how about "how to take off, blow up stuff, and land again"? I keep going splat at the end of missions.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/08/11 01:26 PM

Hehe...thanks, Rusty.

smile

Unfortunately my simming time currently is pretty much taken by DCS:A-10...
Posted By: Lorien

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/09/11 02:50 AM

Have to add my thanks along with the other 16 pages of them. This was the best training mission I've done and apart from rolling off the runway and damaging my nose wheel, so much that it wouldn't retract, and taking longer to land than it took to fly to the first 2 waypoints it worked out great smile
Posted By: Rusty_M

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/10/11 12:23 PM

Yeah I did it the wrong way round. Bought BS...realised I couldn't run it very well. I then saved enough to build a new PC. I bought DCS A10 as well. I'm finding myself getting into the shark more than the 'hog, which is really surprising me. Especially as I'm a sim-noob (apart from a long time ago playing F14 Fleet Defender). It's all good now. I can land on a FARP without tipping the heli over on the sloped edge of the helipad.
Posted By: FlightSG

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/12/11 02:38 PM

Anyone can send me the tutorial files?

Many thanks. thumbsup

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/15/11 10:28 AM

Hi,

just sent you the file via email, but the download link still works. wink

Cheers,

Para
Posted By: FlightSG

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/16/11 05:59 AM

Hi,

just sent you the file via email, but the download link still works. wink

Cheers,

Para

Hi para,

Thanks. Appreciate it.
Posted By: apd1004

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/27/11 04:31 PM

Hi,

Just tried to download the tutorial mission, but the Rapidshare link is prompting me to upload a file rather than download it.

Kind of a moot point however, because since I just joined SimHQ, it took me several days to get approved and in that time I have since figured out how to create my own tutorial missions.

Just curious if the download link is incorrect or if it is a problem on my end.

Thanks

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/27/11 08:59 PM

the link works for me. Link

i click on it and this page opens where i click on Slow Download and on the next page there is a Download Now link.

Posted By: apd1004

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/28/11 10:32 AM

Got it, thanks. Where at in Ohio Newman? I'm in Akron.
Posted By: foxy

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/15/11 10:00 PM

Hi

Cheers Para_Bellum for your tutorial & probably the best one out their to help newbie folks like me.

But as I am pretty new to this wonderful sim I would be extremely interested to see how a real
competent pilot would play & execute this mission by posting a TRK. Im sure it would help a lot
of people not just me.

I am surprised as far as I know, there has not been one single TRK of this
mission uploaded on to this site especially as a lot of people have played it.
Posted By: Combat99

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 05/22/11 01:12 AM

Is it possible to move the targeting box left and right - or the whole scan angle of the SHKVAL so that I don't have to turn the whole chopper? Same question with up/down - I know its probably in the manual somewhere...

Ok I think I found it... looks like the , and / key for L and R and ; . for Up and Down...
Posted By: Steely_Dan

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 06/21/11 06:14 PM

What a star you are! thank you for all the time and effort you invested in this tutorial.
Posted By: garyn

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 09/09/11 02:24 AM

Hi All,

I'd love to get the mission file for this tutorial ( http://freenet-homepage.de/parabellum/tutorial01.miz ), but as I try to I'm directed to a download site written in German. Wish I could speak German but I don't. Anyone know how I can get this file ... in the U.S. (english)?

Thanks,

Gary

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 09/19/11 10:17 AM

Garyn, use the updated link from the 1st page please. Simply click on "download" or "free download", if you haven't got a (paid) rapidshare account you'll have to wait a minute or so before the download starts.

Also, in the lower left corner should be a little english flag, click on it to see the english language version of the site.

Posted By: Smithcorp

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 11/11/11 03:40 AM

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of thanks to Parabellum for this tutorial mission and notes. I recently got back into BS1 (after the release of BS2, which I can only play on low settings) and his tutorial mission was perfect for getting me back into flying this tricky machine.

It took me three tries to successfully complete – my biggest problem was misunderstanding which ridge to crest to attack the tanks in the first part of the mission. The first couple of times I found I was under attack when I was hovering to get my weapons set up, or searching for the targets. Turned out I was sitting behind the wrong ridge and actually hovering in the valley the tanks were in – I finally noticed them blasting away at me with their main guns close by.

Once I’d identified my mistake everything went more smoothly. I popped up and Vikhred the Turkish tanks, leaving them smoking wrecks, then snuck over to the location of the insurgents, knocked out their tent with rockets from a stationary hover 1.5km away, then cannoned the remaining insurgents. Love the sound of the cannon on the slow rate of fire – thump-thump-thump.

Then after the second success message, I managed to fly safely back to the airbase, land (not a hovering landing but a fixed-wing style approach) and shut down.

Most satisfying. The only problems I had were getting out of phase with the trim (and having difficulty getting into a hover, ending up spinning around), which I solved with a quick reset-trim (I think it’s a great idea to hit the reset-trim button now and then to get things back to ‘normal’); and having the HUD refuse to go back to Navigation mode (which I think was caused by still having the cannon selected).

smith
Posted By: DaddySchlich

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 11/12/11 04:22 PM

Quick Question: for those of us who so much appreciated this mission in BS1, will it work in BS2??

May be too much to ask for, but ...

Best,

Daddy Schlich
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 11/13/11 12:24 PM

+1 for a BS2 tutorial mission please!

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 11/13/11 03:51 PM

+2 for a BS2 tutorial mission please!

Need to get back into this......
Posted By: DaddySchlich

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 11/26/11 01:49 AM

Just wanted to report that I placed this mission into the Mission folder of BS2, and it basically worked. The tanks seemed more ready to engage you, and they moved off the road at the first vihkr hit on a tank ... all as in DCS A10-C. And the airbase has its own frequency, as opposed to using the default frequency in BS1.

Daddy Schlich
Posted By: Xerxes17

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/18/11 02:36 PM

Thank you for the mission and tutorial mate. really helped me get a whole bunch of stuff in place! smile
Posted By: Doofie

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/24/12 08:51 AM

Bump. Well, I'm not sure if you can bump a sticky but I will go so far as to say that I joined the forum pretty much to say "THANK YOU!" to Para_Bellum for putting this together. I've flown this mission a few times now and it's certainly given me a greater appreciation for the game. Small bite-sized missions are the future. smile

You've probably moved on to other things but if you do ever feel like putting something basic together like dealing with the ABRIS then I'm sure it'd go down a storm like this mission.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Chug

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/24/12 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: - Ice
+1 for a BS2 tutorial mission please!

Hi, guys. I think if you put the mission in the appropriate BS2 folder, open it in the BS2 mission editor then save it, it should work fine.
Posted By: kkretch

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/01/12 12:20 AM

The link on the first page takes me to the rapidshare site but only to the upload page.
No mention of the mission download there. Please post another download site or email
the file. I'm done with dcs a-10c for awhile and want to get into black shark and i think
this is the best way. thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.
kkretch [and then you put the "at" sign here] hotmail.com
Posted By: EinsteinEP

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/01/12 03:03 AM

I just checked and the link works just fine for me, kkretch (see below for screenshot).

Also, I edited your email address out of your post. Don't want the spammers to get ya!

Posted By: kkretch

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 03/01/12 02:33 PM

It did work today. thank you. off to blow stuff up!

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 04/23/12 07:35 PM

Good to see people are still using this little guide, thanks for all the support!
Posted By: Spirit

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/23/12 12:15 AM

I know this is an old thread now but if anyone still has the mission .miz for this, please could they upload it somewhere?

Or please email it to me at alistair.smith7[and then the 'at' sign]ntlworld.com

Thanks
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/24/12 08:10 PM

Email sent!
Posted By: HomeFries

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/26/12 06:13 AM

Ditto. I'm willing to host it on my mediafire site.
Posted By: Forcavitale

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/26/12 06:02 PM

I just got the BS2 and i found the pdf guide very useful, but i cant seem to find the mission file anywhere, does it work with BS2 or?
If it does i would be very happy if somebody could e-mail it to me on:
forcavitale [at] gmail [dot] com [admin edit: protect your email address on public forums]
Thank you

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 12/27/12 08:22 PM

email sent
Posted By: doveman

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/13/13 04:18 PM

Anyone got this mission working in DCSW 1.2.2.7570?

When I try and play it, it just hangs on a screen that says loading with no progress bar. I tried to load and save it in the ME but it does nothing when I click the Save button so I have to click cancel instead and can't save it.
Posted By: Yurgon

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/27/13 08:50 PM

I got it working. More info on the ED-forum.

I just PM'd Para_Bellum to check if it's okay if I make this version public. I'll follow up and post a download link here if I receive a positive reply from him.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/28/13 01:23 PM

Thanks Yurgon!

I've updated the starting post with the new mission file.

thumbsup

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/29/13 12:04 AM

Cool. smile

I think this was the first combat mission I ever flew in Black Shark, I think it's going to remain a very valuable resource for new pilots. smile
Posted By: doveman

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/29/13 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Yurgon

Cool. smile

I think this was the first combat mission I ever flew in Black Shark, I think it's going to remain a very valuable resource for new pilots. smile

Definitely. I've more or less got the hang of flying now so I'm moving on to learn the weapons system and find it almost impossible to spot the enemy, even when they're shooting at me, so having this tutorial which shows me where to look will at least give me a chance to learn how to locate them wink

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/29/13 12:13 AM

Addendum: Filename and checksums for anyone who likes to check such things.

How_To_Take_Off_and_Blow_Stuff_Up_(DCS_World).miz

MD5: 37f336f410a20b7d3206e22f180003c8
SHA1: 65403e70e2a8439673cd78c95a6f7caa85a43fdd
SHA256: a9436af10459ec3b00b9128f3aecc8ad2acb1e2bbbf30eec5e99d931b6c05afa
Posted By: TychosElk

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/19/13 05:05 PM

I don't suppose anyone has got a copy of the BS1 version of this, for a cheapskate who hasn't got around to upgrading to BS2 yet? The linked version doesn't work.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/19/13 08:17 PM

Can't help there. Only suggestion is to try opening the file up in the BS1 mission editor and then saving it. Long shot, but what the heck.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/19/13 09:44 PM

Thanks - but I tried that, and it won't load. frown

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/19/13 09:59 PM

I may still have it - let me check and get back to you.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/20/13 03:21 AM

Try this one: How_To_Take_Off_and_Blow_Stuff_Up.miz

This should be the one I used as a basis for the modification to work with DCS World. I just loaded it up in BS1 1.0.2 and it looked okay.

If it works for you, I'll add the checksums later.

Edit checksums:

MD5: c6ab5c498a6b32d31572d1a0d7b2b8bf
SHA1: 6a75e88ee70ba12d2e7226d34a3e53f67e4e5558
SHA256: a5154e91574c7aef5adb6d0b4798c548247fa65f8ba3e92c1f5b1f34d113df4b

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/20/13 03:53 AM

Thanks, Yurgon. thumbsup

It seems to load fine - I'll report back if I discover any problems.

Edit: it runs too - I took too long spotting the tanks and by the time I'd got the Shkval lining up, they were firing back - the ejector seat works, anyway...

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/21/13 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: TychosElk
Edit: it runs too - I took too long spotting the tanks and by the time I'd got the Shkval lining up, they were firing back - the ejector seat works, anyway...

Yup, sounds like the mission is working perfectly fine. smile

You probably already figured this out, but (not just in the tutorial) try to stay out of the enemy's engagement range. Your Vikhr ATGMs will outrange all MBTs even in the most daring scenarios. Spotting the enemy soon enough is what it's really all about. smile

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 08/01/13 12:25 PM

This might not be working any more with the latest version. I just tried it again, but it wouldn't load. Pity, it's a favourite mission.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 08/01/13 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithcorp
This might not be working any more with the latest version. I just tried it again, but it wouldn't load. Pity, it's a favourite mission.

You mean 1.2.5? I haven't installed that yet as there were too many bugs reported. I'm not sure whether they're all (hot-) fixed by now.

Anyways, in the latest 1.2.4 release, the mission plays just fine, I just flew it in that version. Has anyone else experienced problems with the mission in 1.2.5? Oh, and by the way, are you sure you downloaded the correct version (the one for DCS World)?

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 11/05/13 09:51 PM

A small update: I just tested the DCS World version in the current 1.2.6 and it worked fine.
Posted By: Griphos

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/22/14 03:49 PM

I'm just coming to DCS, and came across this very helpful guide. I downloaded the mission, but can't seem to figure out where to put it in the current folder structures.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/22/14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Griphos
I downloaded the mission, but can't seem to figure out where to put it in the current folder structures.

You could place it anywhere you like. The easiest to reach place is the Saved Games DCS folder, in my case:

C:\Users\yurgon\Saved Games\DCS\Missions

And then select "My Missions" from the menu on the left side:

Posted By: Griphos

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 02/23/14 06:54 PM

Thsnks much. I didn't know about that folder. Looking forward to giving the mission a try.
Posted By: BirdDogICT

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/03/15 06:43 PM

I'm not having any luck getting this to run in 1.2.14. But I had an original version for Black Shark 1.02, so fired it up for the first time in 4 years.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/05/15 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: BirdDogICT
I'm not having any luck getting this to run in 1.2.14.

Make sure you download the correct file. I just gave it a go and the mission seems to run fine in my 1.2.14 installation. I didn't fly the entire mission because I don't currently have a working HOTAS setup for the Ka-50, but it loaded alright and the first text message was displayed okay.

Just make sure you download the version for DCS World (direct link).

Edit: This is my first post on SimHQ in a long time, so just to be sure there's no misunderstanding: The text "HOTAS" in my post just contained a link to Amazon (cross-checked with 4 browsers on 2 devices). I did *not* add that link, apparently SimHQ does that (or incorporates a 3rd party service which does that). I don't intend to discuss this or complain about it right here, I just want to make sure everybody understands that some kind of software might change (my) posts in a way that they look like social advertising, which is not my intention and apparently out of my control. The only link I *did* include is the one to the mission file, labeled "direct link".

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/06/15 02:21 AM

Yurgon,

Thanks...I had the wrong file. Works fine now that I placed it in my Users\Saved Games\DCS\Missions folder

Best regards.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/06/15 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: BirdDogICT
Thanks...I had the wrong file. Works fine now that I placed it in my Users\Saved Games\DCS\Missions folder

Good to know. I wish you a lot of fun with the Ka-50 now. smile

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/07/15 01:38 AM

Ja bestimmt. I bought Uh-1H Huey and Mi-8 during the DCS Christmas sale and thought I'd get back to flying the Ka-50. I was a medical crew member on an helicopter air ambulance team for 10 years, so am happy that there are so many great chopper sims now.
Posted By: tirta

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/07/15 10:11 AM

can you guys recommend some ka50 single missions to try after doing this tutorial?
Posted By: Frederf

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/08/15 03:46 AM

I always liked Deployment campaign mission #8, "On the Other Side."

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/08/15 11:11 AM

As I recall, the deployment campaign is particularly well done, give that a whirl if you are looking for missions. I remember it seeming to ramp,up in difficulty as you progress, so,it's very approachable early on.

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/08/15 11:52 PM

I agree, the deployment campaign is excellent.

I also like the single missions "Air show", which requires a bit of timing and a little finesse with the controls, as well as "Courier".

A long while ago, I started to fly the Medvedev 2 campaign coop with a buddy, but we never finished it. As I remember it, the missions were pretty well designed, but the strong winds made it rather difficult to hit targets with Vikhrs unless the wind direction was taken into account in order to avoid cross-wind shooting.
Posted By: msalama

Re: Tutorial: How to take off and blow up stuff - 01/09/15 06:00 PM

Just adding to the echo chamber here, because Deployment is the best static campaign ever IMO. Give it a go mate, you won't be disappointed I'm sure smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums