homepage

Derail Valley

Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Derail Valley - 04/05/17 07:15 PM

Just spotted this on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/588030/
You can only get the Demo ATM and its VR only but its quite fun and has potential
If you have a Vive or Rift with Touch check it out.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Derail Valley - 06/10/17 08:06 PM

I just installed this on my machine and using a Vive and O M G!!

Being able to crane my neck and look out the window, 1:1 head tracking, watching my train go around the bend... pity it's just a demo but I really, really like it!! I'm no train engineer but the physics doesn't seem very well done; I've not exactly tested the numbers but I expected a train with 6 cars to be much more sluggish. The train "cockpit" (is that what it's called?) is quite bare as well, would've loved it if they had some of the iconic diesel locos like the CSX loco in TSW...

Would be cool if there were more things to do in the demo.... I wonder if TSW or Train Simulator or Run8 supports VR?
Posted By: Leaf85

Re: Derail Valley - 06/21/17 02:15 PM

A VR version of TSW/Trainsimulator 20XX/Run 8 would be pretty fine indeed. No idea what the Run 8 devs are looking into. As for TSW, I found this Dev-reply to a query on the Steam forums

While TSW hasn’t been developed with VR firmly in mind and we have no official support for it - it is a very promising prospect for the simulation genre as a whole and something we are keen to look into as TSW continues to grow.

No promises, but we're not ruling anything out either!
The thread is here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/530070/discussions/0/133258092242009682/

VR or even fully supported TiR would be cool-- in any of the titles mentioned (what year is it?)...

Re: Derail Valley - 06/21/17 02:47 PM

Dont hold your breath for VR or TiR in TSW, just look at how long it took them to implement TiR in Train Sim despite the years of nagging by the community.

Meanwhile although the release of Derail Valley has been put back to Sept. the Dev is promising a big demo update soon
http://steamcommunity.com/games/588030/announcements/detail/1330099069758427372
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Derail Valley - 06/21/17 03:22 PM

Yeah, I read that on the TSW website... does TSW have TIR support?

Not too convinced on the physics of Derail Valley, seems like it's braking a little too well sometimes.
Posted By: FlyingMonkey

Re: Derail Valley - 07/16/17 02:31 AM

From what the developers of Derail Valley told me on reddit, it looks like these guys will have more than shunting in their final version of their game/sim. They plan to have a steam engine, long haul (apparently with a mountain track). That immediately made me way more interested in it. I have 0% trust in Dovetail Games adding decent VR to TSW - their track record is bad enough, and seeing how they're currently handling TSW it only seems to get worse (probably because they're now juggling with FSW too, another thing I won't touch with a 10ft pole).
Posted By: Viper1970

Re: Derail Valley - 09/18/17 08:25 PM

Is there anything new you could recommend at the moment, which also had some german content in? I don't like Dovetails train simulator that much, cause it's such a DLC orgy screwy .

I still own such an orgy, the good old MSTS but slowly it is showing it's age. Maybe I have to try it with Open Rails. Does anybody has some experience with it? It's a long time ago since I did train simming biggrin
Posted By: Leaf85

Re: Derail Valley - 09/18/17 09:04 PM

There is some choice out there at the moment however it depends on what you are looking for. For German content you might look at Trainz; you could check these people out https://www.trainzdepot.net/ I realize you don't like the blizzard of DLC that Dovetail offers but they do have a shedload of German rail that is fairly decent. I can't speak to Open Rails as I don't run MSTS which I believe you need for OR (I might be wrong). Cheers
Posted By: Viper1970

Re: Derail Valley - 09/18/17 09:41 PM

Thank's Leaf85! Trainz looks real promissing and the link you gave me has good freeware content for it.

I hadn't much time to look at the train sim community the last few years, cause of my other simulation project, but since I could not do so much with it at the moment, I did a bit of research in the genres I also liked very much back those days.

I was a little bit shocked as I have seen that nearly no one still uses the MSTS. O.k. time goes by. Mhmm maybe a lot of time biggrin

So I looked for an alternative, because I occasionally would like to play a train sim again, but don't want to spent so much money for it. For the MSTS there was a lot of good freeware content also available back those days, but not so for the Dovetail Train Simulator as far as I have seen.

Yes, Open Rails is useable with the MSTS, at least it was the fact the last time I used it a few years ago. I have to take a look what changed. Maybe I could save my old MSTS from aging with it a little bit.

And perhaps I will also take a closer look to Trainz. Looks more friendly to me than TS.

Re: Derail Valley - 01/26/19 12:21 AM

Early Access now available on Steam and Oculus store
https://store.steampowered.com/app/588030/Derail_Valley/

Its no longer VR only so you can play in pancake mode with keyboard and mouse if you want.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums