homepage

IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD

Posted By: commorange

IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/17/12 04:01 PM

Enough said. What a great game. Timeless and a classic. It will be many years before COD catches up,

let alone surpasses it.
Posted By: Ghost_swe

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/17/12 05:20 PM

It will take, oh i dont know, about 11 years?
Posted By: Taxman

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/17/12 06:06 PM

Yea I'll be 80 then and will need to fly at 1/8 speed. sigh I am really enjoying 4.11, works great for me. Also the SAS1946 and UP mod geniuses are hard at work to help bring all their great mods compatiable with 4.11 wave

There are many years left in the old girl.

cheers
Posted By: bisher

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/17/12 06:09 PM

I intend to download 4.11, but I am concerned about how I will adjust going back into the cockpits of IL2411.

It's all good, cause I'm really enjoying CLOD in it's present state, if 4.11 is better we're all winners.

Once I've done some time in 411 I'll share my thoughts, I have over 400 hours in CLOD and might be able to share an opinion based on experience. how many hours in CLOD for you guys, I only ask so I can determine how much weight to give this bold statement of betterment.

smile
Posted By: Chivas

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/17/12 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: commorange

Enough said. What a great game. Timeless and a classic. It will be many years before COD catches up,

let alone surpasses it.

What you expected the new IL-2 to come out with the maps and aircraft that the original has in its first instalment? Of course it will be atleast ten years before that happens. Personally I don't fly 1046 anymore as I enjoy the more complex features of COD and look forward to further developments in the new series. This is whole idea of developing a new game engine thats allows far more complex features.
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/17/12 09:55 PM

let alone surpasses it.

Fantastic! - will that mean all the CoD-whiners will migrate away from this forum and actually fire up 4.11 and do some simming in stead of just moaning in here ad nauseam?
Posted By: JAMF

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/17/12 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bisher
I intend to download 4.11, but I am concerned about how I will adjust going back into the cockpits of IL2411.

You can get the "alfha" mod activator and move your most cherished cockpits into the \FILES\3do\cockpit\ directory, with the java files going directly into the \FILES\ directory. pilot
Posted By: Ajay

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 12:07 AM

but I am concerned about how I will adjust going back into the cockpits of IL2411.

I loved the il2 series but i couldnt go back to those cockpits now smile Even the new improved ones , as most of my time is spent in pit and this is the shining light of CloD. The game does look very nice now though and kudos to the guys who have modded it far past what it was.I imagine in the same amount of time the il2 series has invested in it that CloD will be just as far ahead, remember CloD has not even got a year up its sleeve yet wink

I hope you enjoy eating that humble pie Commorange , got a big fork ?
Posted By: cheesehawk

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 12:19 AM

I dunno, I do kinda miss LiLo's picture in the cockpit! I haven't played 1946 in at least 3-4 months, probably longer than that. It just "feels" so arcade comparatively. I do miss the multiple maps and planes though. Bet I could have fun in the FMB now too, since I had to learn in CoD, be nice to have one that works! lol

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 12:57 AM

Thanks for that JAMF

No commorange is right, here's one of the cockpits from 411

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 03:29 AM

wow..when he said Light years, he wasn't joking was he smile

I know what you mean Cheese. I went back to EAW after a few years in IL2 , just for old times sake and a sticky beak at how she looked updated, i should have left it as good memories as it felt and looked old and arcadey. My lad still fires up 1946 that i reinstalled for him 4.10 with a bunch of mods and it also doesnt have the spark that it once had.Going from il2 to CloD definitely feels like an evoltion as did il2 to eaw. Just gotta play the ole waiting game as we always have smile

Hoping one day we get carrier ops in the Med and pacific, spits over Malta and saddling up in my sbd3 and 5 again.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Freycinet

let alone surpasses it.

Fantastic! - will that mean all the CoD-whiners will migrate away from this forum and actually fire up 4.11 and do some simming in stead of just moaning in here ad nauseam?

I cannot speak for the so called "CoD-whiners". The fact is 4.11 is far better than CoD right now and I am getting plenty of stick time thanks
very much. When they fix the 250 mph Spitfires and Bf-109's. I will take another look at CoD.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 05:59 AM

Why play it if your belief is that it will take years to even catch up and never surpass it anyway ? Makes no sense smile
Posted By: FIScott

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 06:32 AM

The stock sounds in IL2 let it down but when the mods catch up it will be a different thing. Clod's cockpits are (and to me always have been) its finest feature but flying a Tempest on the Slovakia map last night I have to say the gap between the two was looking very thin (That plus the fact that it had AA working, ran smooth as butter and didn't ctd helped a bit too)

Considering its age IL2 remains a remarkable sim.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 08:27 AM

Clearly il2 is a wicked sim and the mods have pushed the envelope even further, i just found it weird that old mate above finds the need to post here where probably more than 90% of us have years of il2 under our belt.

Especially with a ' light years ahead of CloD - Enough said ' I mean cmon, did't we already go over and get over all of this trolly action months ago? Either way it keeps the forum rolling along wink
Posted By: Frankyboy

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 12:23 PM

indeed, to compare IL2 after 10 years of after release development with CoD after 10 (~) month of after release development is not fair.
Posted By: Avimimus

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 01:11 PM

True - people should probably compare it to the original Il-2 release (unpatched!).

Of course, such comparisons are not fair to Il-2 1946 either - the fidelity of CoD is so much greater. CoD may still be a work in progress and may only model one part of the war, but the terrain/water, atmosphere/lighting, cockpit motion/detail, damage model details and flight models are so much higher fidelity that the combined effect seems like it is five times more real!

I just went back to CoD after flying 4.11 and one really sees the differences (if one isn't clouded by nostalgia for a decade old engine).
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 01:39 PM

I'm hard pressed to remember the first Il-2 release just over 10 years ago as far as what it did or didn't have, but I know it was also rather limited in scope. Eastern Front only, I think the P-39 was the only non-Russian Allied plane, and mostly you had lots of variants of the Il-2, 109, 190, Ju-87, and some assorted other planes.

So as far as variety of locations and planes, they were about even. No doubt Il-2 was more "finished" and less buggy, but it still needed work.

Also, for me Il-2 was always lacking something. Growing up on 90s flight sims the Il-2 series always seemed to me half a sim. They took SOME sim aspects and turned it up to 11, and took others and paid lip service if at all. In-game comms were sad, sounds lame, the UI was a joke, and your sense of immersion was confined to when you were in the cockpit. In other words, I never felt like I was a WWII pilot in WWII, I felt like I was using a simulator.
CloD is little better in those respects, and the same for RoF and LOMAC/DCS. It makes me believe that Russian programmers culturally don't "get" what the old sims of the 90s offered you when you weren't in the cockpit, contributions of Western publishers/programmers/producers notwithstanding. The old sims of Dynamix, Microprose, EA/Origin/Jane's, DID, DI, even Novalogic had more atmosphere, even when their technical levels were far short of what we get now.

They were better games, if not usually better sims.

The Jedi Master

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Ajay
Why play it if your belief is that it will take years to even catch up and never surpass it anyway ? Makes no sense smile

Well Ajay because I still like it and play it again after every patch. It is the future of IL2. I hope. I think.

Yeah CoD will take 10 years to catch up to Il2Fb. So what? I am patient. I hope it does because I am an optimist and plan on being around

when it does. Maybe I dont take it as seriously as some of you do. These are games after all, entertainment. And yes I am nostalgic about

IL2 FB. So whats wrong with that? Some flight simulator players seem so spoiled.. "I'll never play it again, its too dated". Well I dont

agree with that. The new IL2 has far more advanced and complex features. Thats all well and good but isnt it about the amount of pleasure and

enjoyment one gets out of it? Maybe it is unfair to Compare CoD to IL2FB 4.11 right now but perhaps the comparison will be more fair in the

future as CoD matures. Finally its not like I am comparing Cod to some competitor, there is none. Il2 Fb is an older sibling.
Posted By: Force10

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 05:23 PM

To say that CLOD hasn't had the maturing time that IL-2 has had isn't exactly true. Back in May of 2006 Oleg stated that they were close and set a release date of November 2006. So you could say that CLOD had more of an "internal" maturing time of 5+ years. It's probably safe to say that CLOD had about twice the development time of the original IL-2, since it's been worked on for about 7 years?

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 06:01 PM

Except CLOD is still in the gestation stage and in this stage maturing is not possible

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 07:52 PM

Every aspect of COD is more complex, Aircraft, Cockpits, DM, FM, Graphics, etc. It should take much longer to develop than the orignial sim, aircraft alone take 3 times longer to develop. The complexity of the sim will also exponentially generate far more bugs. The longer development time and much higher costs are the main reason developers like even Microsoft have left the building.

If the new game engine can get sorted and optimized, then the developer/third parties/community can start concentrating on new features, Maps, Aircraft, Campaigns, we are in for a very bright future. As computers become more powerfull we should see more complex features added, and I'm very interested to see how the Human Animation feature the developers have been working on plays out.
Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 08:13 PM

Bugs are expected.
Missing or broken features is one thing.
Missing or broken features after 8 months is another.
Missing or broken features that take 2 years and buying a sequel to fix is a rip off.(and even then nothing is certain)

I understand CLOD is complex and i understand things like DX11 and the dynamic weather coming later but Chivas what i cant understand is why the FM and the DM are still so far off after this long, surly these features should be a No1 priority for a flight sim, the can be no excuse for them to take this long, i mean what has the FM and DM guy been doing all this time?

PS. Banned too i see.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 09:32 PM

It's all relative Chivas. One could say that the original IL-2 was more complex than anything before it as well. With far less dev time.

Yes, part of the ban sweep from last night. BTW Furbs, loved the south park pic for David you made last night...classic. thumbsup It looks like he didn't get a ban though, not sure how that is even possible. He deserved one way more than Chivas IMO.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Ajay

Well Ajay because I still like it and play it again after every patch. It is the future of IL2. I hope. I think.

Yeah CoD will take 10 years to catch up to Il2Fb. So what? I am patient. I hope it does because I am an optimist and plan on being around

when it does. Maybe I dont take it as seriously as some of you do. These are games after all, entertainment. And yes I am nostalgic about

IL2 FB. So whats wrong with that? Some flight simulator players seem so spoiled.. "I'll never play it again, its too dated". Well I dont

agree with that. The new IL2 has far more advanced and complex features. Thats all well and good but isnt it about the amount of pleasure and

enjoyment one gets out of it? Maybe it is unfair to Compare CoD to IL2FB 4.11 right now but perhaps the comparison will be more fair in the

future as CoD matures. Finally its not like I am comparing Cod to some competitor, there is none. Il2 Fb is an older sibling.

Fair enough , just the general vibe of your original post was nothing like that smile

I go a bit with the dated side of things as i am a graphics whore but i did spend 6-7 years in il2 and for me the game just ran out of steam. Like many have said for years and years and Jedi eluded to above, it always had a certain sterility about it that it never overcame, especially if you were a ground pounder which i generally liked more than just out and out dogfighting. EAW was sterile in that regards too, even more so than il2 for ground pounding.

I hope we get to a stage in sims where there is a lot more ground action and not always lifeless towns farms and villages.Doesnt mean a lot in dogfights but when you are cutting across the country at zero feet it adds a ton.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/18/12 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
Bugs are expected.
Missing or broken features is one thing.
Missing or broken features after 8 months is another.
Missing or broken features that take 2 years and buying a sequel to fix is a rip off.(and even then nothing is certain)

I understand CLOD is complex and i understand things like DX11 and the dynamic weather coming later but Chivas what i cant understand is why the FM and the DM are still so far off after this long, surly these features should be a No1 priority for a flight sim, the can be no excuse for them to take this long, i mean what has the FM and DM guy been doing all this time?

PS. Banned too i see.

Yep, just got over the ban here, and got banned at IC. Starting to feel like Tree. smile

None of us really know what happened during BOB development, but they certainly appeared to have more than their fair share of major setbacks, as there are always countless things that can go wrong. I didn't think it would be possible to add all the features they talked about with playable frame rates. In fairness to the developer they did say there were no promises. It is what it is, but it doesn't mean it will stay that way as long as the development keeps working.

The developer changed the basic foundation of their new game engine to a module based system, that in theory they could change whole modules without effecting other modules. In the original series aspects of the sim were hidden in the sim, hard to find, and change without effecting everything else.
As far as the DM and FM coders go, anything from employee problems, loss, etc etc could have happened. I can also see an FM and/or DM coder having problems connecting his module to the game engine when everything they connect to is still changing. This is a function of the game engine being unfinished and unoptimized. Again when the game engine is sorted everything should start falling place.

Patience is still the keyword. Much of what they have accomplished is very good and hopefully the features will be implemented to most peoples satisfaction in time. A time which should be much shorter than waiting for another developer to start building the kind of simulator where waiting for. As a matter of fact I don't think we will see another developer unless Gaijin does a better job than their last effort, or 777 studio decided to build a WW2 sim which wouldn't be started or completed for many years.

Edit...you could come to the conclusion that the developer is just not good enough, but I think there are a myriad of other explanations as well.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 12:14 AM

YOu got a ban here Chivas?? Wow that really surprises me, you generally present so calmly and respectfully

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 01:13 AM

YOu got a ban here Chivas?? Wow that really surprises me, you generally present so calmly and respectfully

The mods can't be seen to take sides, so I have no problem with it. Like I've said before I would gladly take a life time ban if I could take a couple with me, although I would only impose a ban on them for the length of time it takes the development to get on more solid ground.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 06:32 AM

I'm no great poster anywhere but I've had it with the 1C forums. If I looked up a definition of fractured community I'm pretty sure it woul give a link to that site. Handing out bans for expressing a genuine opinion on a forum board is bonkers but its pretty much indicative of the desperation to try and keep this thing afloat that comes across in virtually every thread you read over there.

I can see the frustration in having the same old things being beaten to death again and again, I understand that for those who love this game come what may criticism hurts but the majority of CoD players are flying it on forums because it does have so many issues. 'We will fix it' has got thread bare. At some point in any situation there has to be a put up or shut up moment. This games time for that has come and gone.

This thread was another candle in fireworks factory but yes, I think IL2 is, and for that matter always was (and I've played it for over a decade thank you) a better game/sim than Cliffs of Dover (in my opinion).

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 07:54 AM

Off-line the original IL-2 series is a better game now because its finished and works, COD on the other hand is unfinished and still a work in progress. That said COD's on-line experience especially with CEM enabled is far more immersive than the original IL-2 1946, mainly because online play has fewer game play issues.

The first key is the frame rate/stability issues which hopefully the graphic engine rewrite should substantially address. This fix will allow more people to load and start playing.

The second group of key issues are the game play features, Commands, AI, FM, DM. This fix will make people want to keep playing.

If and when these issues are addressed then you will see a great migration of people from IL-2 1946 to the new series. That said people will still fly IL-2 1946 while waiting for the new series to develop their favorite aircraft and theaters. The new game engine will also allow new features that are almost impossible to develop with the old game engine. This is the main reason they decided to build the new engine in the first place, and why ROF which was originally going to modify the old IL-2 engine for their sim but found it unsuitable for the features they wanted to have in ROF.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 09:12 AM

The standard defense that COD was released unfinished and bug riddled isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for any game. The fact that key issues have not been resolved 8 months after release is bad, PERIOD. The launcher crash that the online flyers suffer from should be addresed. This is the part when you say "It's not worth the time because they are re-writing most of the code". Not worth it to them maybe, but I bet it would be worth it to the people who paid for this garbage. The next patch could be a year away, would it kill them to set aside a guy for a couple of weeks to fix the damn CTD issues?

I bet if they asked the online flyers and people with the offline CTD's "If we fix the launcher crash and CTD's, it will take a year and 3 weeks instead of just a year" everyone would choose to play without ctd's for a year and have the patch be a little late. But they don't care enough about their customers for that, they would rather allocate assets to working on the sequel because that's where the money might be.

Communication: They don't have to promise anything, just an update of sorts. They could say "The patch is going to take between 5 to 9 months" and that would be fine. They might catch a little flak at first but the forums would settle down eventually, and folks would realize that ther's no need to go check the banana forums every freakin day.

COD, and the way the customers have been deceived/treated, has been the biggest "bag over the head, punch in the face" us simmers have got ever IMO.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 01:41 PM

Yes yes Force we have heard this view at least a dozen times, I agree but it's a tad irritating,as I suppose it is for you to hear 'patience is the key here' lol.
Posted By: Evil Flower

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 02:58 PM

I too always felt IL-2 to be really sterile and COD just looked like more of the same. But I remember even the old DOS Su-27 sim was pretty much the same. Excellent technical fidelity and anal-retentive attention to detail but they seemed to forget to build an immersive environment.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 03:08 PM

There's no POV that hasn't been expressed and discussed ad nauseum here since the Russian early release first got out.

I will just say this: I played a lot more Il-2 in the first 6 months I had it than I have of CloD. In fact I have like 2 hrs in CloD. smile Granted 10 years on my life, job, and even I have changed quite a bit, so if the situation was reversed (Clod came out then, Il-2 now) I might not have responded the same way.

CloD was flawed and unfinished. Il-2 was flawed (less so, but still had many) but was at least finished. I felt like the design had omitted certain things I thought a flight sim needed (as I mentioned before), but it was done. CloD was in development for HALF of Il-2's life now and is still in worse state than Il-2 was after a mere 2 years' worth of work.

I'd say if you had a team start in Jan 2009 on a BoB sim from scratch it could've been done better and come out the same time as CloD with far fewer issues. What happened all those years before that? No one's talking, but it must have been a total mess.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: ATAG_Snapper

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Icarus1
A lot of people are giving up and moving on. This thing is going nowhere fast. Nine months and its still an unfinished bugfest. Looking more and more like SH5 everyday.

Really?

OK, a few things: The code is buggy, both Campaigns are dysfunctional, incomplete, and the RAF Campaign storyline is downright silly, CTD's occur with annoying frequency, the menu GUI is goofy and not straightforward, flight models are wrong, damage models are wrong, Spitfires & Hurricane external sounds (save startup & idle) sound like road snowplows, not Merlins, mirrors on Spits & Hurries don't work and steal 10-15 fps, Spit mixture lever animation is reversed, railway station clocks don't match Big Ben, Spit & Hurri open canopies enable whine of DB601 superchargers to be heard over 500 meters away, no dynamic weather....in fact....no weather at all other than "sunny", clouds steal fps terribly, Spitfire IIa causes erectile dysfunction in Blue pilots, no bail out 3rd person animations, mixture control doesn't work correctly in all Marks Spits and Hurries, SLI/XFire not optimized, compass in Spits and Hurries suck, directional gyro goes stupid within minutes of adjusting, landscape colours still wrong, no St. Paul's or Canterbury Cathedrals, Big Ben time never matches clock in Spits or Hurries, Oleg is gone, Luthier is always MIA, Spitfire & Hurricane tachometers incorrect electric model, not period-correct mechanical version, no cockpit shake, no British warships modelled, , incorrect pubs in Dover, etc.

Otherwise there's not a lot to beef about. According to Steam I have 647 hours on CoD (very little on Spitfire IIa's - be glad) and enjoying it very much!

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 05:41 PM

Yes and back on topic, I gave IL2411 a go last night and I'm dissappointed to say, it was just too sterile for me, though the 110 cockpit is quite pretty. I look around the cockpits, which I have become quite familiar with, and see missing parts, and the pieces that are there I can only look at.

Flying the 109 in 411 it was not difficult to achieve speeds of 400 -500 kms/h unlike the 109 in CLOD which is difficul to achieve these speeds. I would have no idea which is more accurate, but the CLOD 109 is a pain in the ass to fly. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. smile

Of course sitting in the aircraft is not necessarily IL2s strong point and I hope to get engrossed in missions and such.

LOL Snapper great post!!

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ATAG_Snapper
A lot of people are giving up and moving on. This thing is going nowhere fast. Nine months and its still an unfinished bugfest. Looking more and more like SH5 everyday.

Really?

OK, a few things: The code is buggy, both Campaigns are dysfunctional, incomplete, and the RAF Campaign storyline is downright silly, CTD's occur with annoying frequency, the menu GUI is goofy and not straightforward, flight models are wrong, damage models are wrong, Spitfires & Hurricane external sounds (save startup & idle) sound like road snowplows, not Merlins, mirrors on Spits & Hurries don't work and steal 10-15 fps, Spit mixture lever animation is reversed, railway station clocks don't match Big Ben, Spit & Hurri open canopies enable whine of DB601 superchargers to be heard over 500 meters away, no dynamic weather....in fact....no weather at all other than "sunny", clouds steal fps terribly, Spitfire IIa causes erectile dysfunction in Blue pilots, no bail out 3rd person animations, mixture control doesn't work correctly in all Marks Spits and Hurries, SLI/XFire not optimized, compass in Spits and Hurries suck, directional gyro goes stupid within minutes of adjusting, landscape colours still wrong, no St. Paul's or Canterbury Cathedrals, Big Ben time never matches clock in Spits or Hurries, Oleg is gone, Luthier is always MIA, Spitfire & Hurricane tachometers incorrect electric model, not period-correct mechanical version, no cockpit shake, no British warships modelled, , incorrect pubs in Dover, etc.

Otherwise there's not a lot to beef about. According to Steam I have 647 hours on CoD (very little on Spitfire IIa's - be glad) and enjoying it very much!

Jesus f-ing christ Snapper you forgot FSAA!!!! get with the f-ing program!!

thumbsup

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 07:11 PM

I would assume the CTD issue is being worked on and its probably part of the graphic rewrite and fps issue that they almost released before Christmas. My system does not have CTD issues, so the rewrite may help reduce load on weaker or unoptimized systems, reducing CTD's.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 07:16 PM

Chivas, you really honestly believe that stuff about a last second bug? its the same stuff as the AI guy needs the community to help or Sli interfering with the new clouds or community manager on the way or heres a picture of the FM guy looking at the spit manual...its all smoke and mirrors.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Force10
The standard defense that COD was released unfinished and bug riddled isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for any game. The fact that key issues have not been resolved 8 months after release is bad, PERIOD. The launcher crash that the online flyers suffer from should be addresed. This is the part when you say "It's not worth the time because they are re-writing most of the code". Not worth it to them maybe, but I bet it would be worth it to the people who paid for this garbage. The next patch could be a year away, would it kill them to set aside a guy for a couple of weeks to fix the damn CTD issues?

I bet if they asked the online flyers and people with the offline CTD's "If we fix the launcher crash and CTD's, it will take a year and 3 weeks instead of just a year" everyone would choose to play without ctd's for a year and have the patch be a little late. But they don't care enough about their customers for that, they would rather allocate assets to working on the sequel because that's where the money might be.

Communication: They don't have to promise anything, just an update of sorts. They could say "The patch is going to take between 5 to 9 months" and that would be fine. They might catch a little flak at first but the forums would settle down eventually, and folks would realize that ther's no need to go check the banana forums every freakin day.

COD, and the way the customers have been deceived/treated, has been the biggest "bag over the head, punch in the face" us simmers have got ever IMO.

Reading your post, would suggest that you think the developers were stupid, incompetent, crooks. Do you also actually believe the developers aren't working on the CTD's issue and launcher issues, etc etc. I could be wrong, but I believe this is one of the reasons for the graghic/sound rewrite that was going to be released before Christmas until there was a problem. (Major Bug?)

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 08:07 PM

Chivas il have a bet with you...

I wager they haven't fixed the CTD error in this next patch.

what you want to bet?

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 09:20 PM

its all smoke and mirrors.

zeros and ones, correct

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 09:50 PM

Really 647 hours! LOL You are the vast minority. To each his own.

How tolerant and foregiving of you Icarusone. For anyone who actually flies this sim this is not unusual and is probably the norm, I have over 400 hrs.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 09:55 PM

How tolerant and foregiving of you Icarusone. For anyone who actually flies this sim this is not unusual and is probably the norm, I have over 400 hrs.

I lied. 614 hours (just checked). My mama told me a million times, "Never exaggerate!" sigh

Edit: Not sure about the "vast minority". We had just over 2,000 individual pilots logged into our server over various times of the day last week. The global nature of online flying means 24/7 activity. Some hours are very quiet, then suddenly spikes to the max 60 with a lot of player rotation. It's all good. thumbsup

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 10:11 PM

what you want to bet?

Personally I don't have a CTD problem, but I will bet you after the next patch, it will be a big improvement for those with lesser systems than mine, within reason. It will be hard to confirm, but if agreed the loser can't post for a month.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Chivas

what you want to bet?

Personally I don't have a CTD problem, but I will bet you after the next patch, it will be a big improvement for those with lesser systems than mine, within reason. It will be hard to confirm, but if agreed the loser can't post for a month.

Aw, don't do that. This forum wouldn't be as much fun with either ofbyou gone for a month!

Actually, I've minimized my CTD's by simply deleting the Cache folder (C:Your Documents\Library\I1C Softclub\IL2 Sturmovik\Cache) prior to each flying session. It's an annoying little chore, but it only takes a few mouse clicks and seems to work. Dunno why, but there it is.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/19/12 10:26 PM

Chivas, you really honestly believe that stuff about a last second bug? its the same stuff as the AI guy needs the community to help or Sli interfering with the new clouds or community manager on the way or heres a picture of the FM guy looking at the spit manual...its all smoke and mirrors.

I honestly believe the developer is making an honest effort to finish the sim. Personally I wouldn't spend one penny on a community manager, its a total waste of money. A post by the developer when they're is something worth posting is all thats required. For those more needy people I suppose they could have a program to automaticly create a weekly message, stating "Yes we are still here and working on the sim, and will have more information, when its worth reporting." smile

I suppose you could be right, and they are just fake offices and actors posing as developers, trying to soak as much money out of genre where is little money to be made. You've gotta give those actors alot of cudos for creating something that more than a few people are really enjoying. Now if they could just hand over what they've done so far to some real developers, it could cut years off the development of a new sim.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 12:24 AM

Agreed about the community manager Chvias and sort of proves my point. Luthier knows it too, so why say one is coming?(more smoke?)

Anyway about the bet, its the CTD il bet on, the added performance could be just like before when they chopped stuff out to get it to run faster

Agreed about the wager though, shall we alter it and just say no posting over at the 1C?

So...

I say the CTD will not fixed in the next patch(when ever that is)

and the loser cant post over at 1C for 1 month.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 01:14 AM

Agreed about the community manager Chvias and sort of proves my point. Luthier knows it too, so why say one is coming?(more smoke?)

Anyway about the bet, its the CTD il bet on, the added performance could be just like before when they chopped stuff out to get it to run faster

Agreed about the wager though, shall we alter it and just say no posting over at the 1C?

So...

I say the CTD will not fixed in the next patch(when ever that is)

and the loser cant post over at 1C for 1 month.

Agreed, and good luck, but that wouldn't be good for those experiencing CTD's. wink

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 02:06 AM

Pistols at dawn eh chaps..10 paces and all wot! Jolly goodshow, no below the dungaress bullets either lads, keep it civil and die quietly lest you shame your family amongst much screaming and kicking whilst choking in your own blood emanating from the hole in your neck.

Seats 5 dollars gents! Line up to the left!...oi OI! no pushing there is enough room for all you heathens !

biggrin

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 02:36 AM

And the winner doesn't have to post over at 1C for TWO months! exitstageleft

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 05:46 AM

Well thats priceless. You've managed to turn a flight sim into a betting game.

I've just started CoD (first time since 27.12.11) and there are 17 players online (all in the ATAG server)There are 113 in-game on HL. That would worry the hell out of me if I were paying for the continuing development of CoD, at this stage I'd expect the longer established game to still have the numbers advantage but not to that extent.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 06:55 AM

Its all in good fun. I like Chivas and always like to hear his views even if i dont agree with them, plus i want to believe him and hope hes right about CLOD, even if i dont see it.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 08:03 AM

Its all in good fun. I like Chivas and always like to hear his views even if i dont agree with them, plus i want to believe him and hope hes right about CLOD, even if i dont see it.

+1

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 09:58 AM

I admire the ingenuity. Plus it wont CTD !
Posted By: Ugly_Kid

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: FIScott
Well thats priceless. You've managed to turn a flight sim into a betting game.

I've just started CoD (first time since 27.12.11) and there are 17 players online (all in the ATAG server)There are 113 in-game on HL. That would worry the hell out of me if I were paying for the continuing development of CoD, at this stage I'd expect the longer established game to still have the numbers advantage but not to that extent.

One of the big no thx for me in CoD, lobby was essentially my living room. Have a beer and a chat, a bit flying in between. If one DF server with moody interface with a need to go through a set of tricks before connect is the way to go, they interpreted the customer needs wrong. For me immersion trough realism is not a need to sit 5 min on runway heating up in order to launch to another merry go around, aircraft performance being anyway all over the board.
For me realism means among the other things online wars and coops, where you fly strategically more wisely, like in real life, without lobby I don't see it happen anytime soon

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 04:17 PM

I don't think you can claim that flying this thing over 2 hours a day, every day, since its release, without a break, isn't unusual.
It's not even been a year yet. The only games I've ever hit 400 hours in were Company of Heroes and um...well that's it, and in that case I was playing it for a few years when I hit that point.

I suppose if you have no job, no family, and no other past times but CloD I could see getting over 400 hrs in 9 months as "not unusual", but if you DO have those things, it means pretty much dedicating all the free time you have to JUST CloD and in the shaky state it's in, how can you say "that's not unusual"?

That's like a certain politician claiming that his $400k income from speaking engagements in one year "wasn't that much money." TO HIM it's not, but to the vast majority of the rest of the world...

The Jedi Master

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I don't think you can claim that flying this thing over 2 hours a day, every day, since its release, without a break, isn't unusual.
It's not even been a year yet. The only games I've ever hit 400 hours in were Company of Heroes and um...well that's it, and in that case I was playing it for a few years when I hit that point.

I suppose if you have no job, no family, and no other past times but CloD I could see getting over 400 hrs in 9 months as "not unusual", but if you DO have those things, it means pretty much dedicating all the free time you have to JUST CloD and in the shaky state it's in, how can you say "that's not unusual"?

That's like a certain politician claiming that his $400k income from speaking engagements in one year "wasn't that much money." TO HIM it's not, but to the vast majority of the rest of the world...

The Jedi Master

Thank you for explaining what's usual and what's unusual. reading

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 05:40 PM

Oh good christ Jedi Master. Are you referring to the commnet I made, If so if you actually read what I wrote you'd realize you are way off base on this.

Jedi that is the most pompous post I've ever read, I am so insulted. And as much as I hate to admit it I'm shaking in anger.

It's just not worth it, this forum has created so much angst for me and all I'm trying to do is support and enjoy my hobby

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 06:04 PM

Don't sweat it, Bish. This thread has become Opinions-R-Us. And Gawd forbid you express enjoyment of a flight sim that is the topic-flight sim of this forum! You'll find yourself in "the vast minority"! LOL

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 06:44 PM

Thats where its gone mellons up. Every post is populated by extremes of opinion and there is an inevitable bust up as a result. I see that there has been a 'sanitation excercise' on the banana boards. Whovever thinks that spending the time to do that will improve matters needs their bumps felt. Ten minutes spent putting out some news could worked a charm but there you have it.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 07:13 PM

I can save the developer ten minutes, so they can use the time to better use. "The sim is still a WIP and will have more information when its worth divulging. Over the years releasing WIP information too soon has done more harm than good. You know the promise thing." wink

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Chivas
Agreed, and good luck, but that wouldn't be good for those experiencing CTD's. wink

Originally Posted By: Force10

+1

Now that is a sight for sore eyes! Chivalry and mutual agreement between you guys?? Please bet more often! biggrin wink

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 08:22 PM

Oh good christ Jedi Master. Are you referring to the commnet I made, If so if you actually read what I wrote you'd realize you are way off base on this.

Jedi that is the most pompous post I've ever read, I am so insulted. And as much as I hate to admit it I'm shaking in anger.

It's just not worth it, this forum has created so much angst for me and all I'm trying to do is support and enjoy my hobby

This on the other hand ...please try to neither give nor take offense (when possible).

This forum is for the controversial topics which don't directly address actually using the sim - so the upper forum is probably the ideal place for enjoying/contributing the hobby of flight simming (although, it does provide a place for people who like the hobby of flight... er... simmering).

With regards to this issue - it might be good to take it to PMs or to raise it with the moderator. Let me know if you think I can help. I think it would be nice to keep this thread a little bit upbeat.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 08:23 PM

Actually, I've minimized my CTD's by simply deleting the Cache folder (C:Your Documents\Library\I1C Softclub\IL2 Sturmovik\Cache) prior to each flying session. It's an annoying little chore, but it only takes a few mouse clicks and seems to work. Dunno why, but there it is.

Have you thought of setting up a batch file to do this? Or am I thinking in the 1990s and no one uses batches to start their software anymore...

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Avimimus

Have you thought of setting up a batch file to do this? Or am I thinking in the 1990s and no one uses batches to start their software anymore...

Well....it would match the GUI exitstageleft

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 08:35 PM

Thanks Avimimus my temper tantrum is over, I've lost respect for Jedi Master, and I did have a lot of respect for him. But I don't think scienctists care much about this. smile

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 08:53 PM

Really? So for those of us who've been unable to find the time to devote to this product, I guess WE must be the unusual ones.

My point was anyone with the time to devote several hundred hours to ANYTHING in the past 9 months is unusual, aside perhaps from sleeping or breathing. As someone who has to struggle every day to find time to devote to my favorite hobby, being told "well I have 499735 hours in this already, that's about normal, what's your problem?" is not supposed to make me feel like crap?

So you can tell ME that I'M not your definition of "someone who actually flies this sim" because your experience is "not unusual" but if I point out that your experience in fact IS unusual by a broad definition of the term, you shake with anger?? Huh?

I do not understand. At all. It never ceases to amaze me how people will interpret things in a way contrary to the intent.

As for respect, no one respects me. Never have. I've not had any in my entire life, so I cannot regret losing something I've never had from anyone. I am the scum of the earth and I'm aware of that, and am reminded it of every moment I breathe.

The Jedi Master

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 09:00 PM

Jedi? you ok fella?

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 11:37 PM

Pistols at dawn eh chaps..10 paces and all wot! Jolly goodshow, no below the dungaress bullets either lads, keep it civil and die quietly lest you shame your family amongst much screaming and kicking whilst choking in your own blood emanating from the hole in your neck.

Seats 5 dollars gents! Line up to the left!...oi OI! no pushing there is enough room for all you heathens !

biggrin
[/quote]

There should be no beer served at this event. Too many fights already. cheers

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/20/12 11:41 PM

Yeah! I hardly ever read that 1C forum but they were stupid to ban Chivas. He seems like an ambassador for CoD Devs and generally cool headed. Why
would they ban a friend?

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/21/12 07:43 AM

No beer ? .....NO BEER??!!!??

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/21/12 07:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Really? So for those of us who've been unable to find the time to devote to this product, I guess WE must be the unusual ones.

My point was anyone with the time to devote several hundred hours to ANYTHING in the past 9 months is unusual, aside perhaps from sleeping or breathing. As someone who has to struggle every day to find time to devote to my favorite hobby, being told "well I have 499735 hours in this already, that's about normal, what's your problem?" is not supposed to make me feel like crap?
The Jedi Master

And its a good point. When guys started stating the number of hours they have on CoD, it made me curious how many I have logged.

Well I am rather embarrassed to say I have only 28 hours. Thats right 28. I guess in their eyes i might not even have a right to post opinions

here. On the other hand I believe many of the real pilots that fought in the Real Battle of Britain went into battle with only 9 or 10 hours flight

time, so in that light I feel a little better about it. WinkNGrin

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/21/12 09:21 AM

ive 200 odd but not any in about 3 months.
Posted By: DaveP63

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/21/12 01:25 PM

Three. Ooops. Guess I don't even have the right to post that since I don't plan my life around it. cheers

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/21/12 06:15 PM

Hell. I've got 60 Hrs on it but last played 27th December.

I'm still holding a candle out but its getting harder and harder to be optimistic.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/22/12 12:47 AM

Ive got 40, guess it does not log the hours spent in the FMB ? Most of my would have been spent in offline mode so maybe that is not logged?

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/22/12 01:25 AM

'orange I asked how many hours you had so I could decide for myself how much weight to give your betterment statement, not whether you should be able post here. This was not a challenge

No Ajay your time in the FMB should be accounted for, I've spent much of my time in the FMB. I mean it's included the naps I've had while at my stick

Thanks Dave. Bye now.

So a question asking how many hours a member has flown is perceived as a challenge as to whether we should post or not. No wonder we're all in a tizzy about this sim.

Let's see 9 months is 270 days, how do we get over 2 hours per day to equal 400. Just does not add up.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/22/12 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Avimimus

That sounds like a good idea. This falls outside my skill set (a good way to say I have no f'ing clue how to LOL). Bliss provided us a batch file which starts Cod directly at connecting to the ATAG server. It bypasses the Ubisoft intro animation and all the menu GUI's, so it's pretty handy -- plus some report a slight improvement in performance. These days I actually delete the Cache folder AFTER a session, so I don't need to think of it later.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/22/12 06:41 AM

I said for those who actually fly this sim this is not unusual I was not referring to you simple mortals Jedi. I base this on the 30 people who actually fly this sim, including the same 20 people who are always online when I go up. It's the same 20 people night in night out and the six here at simhq including me.

From this Jedi you take everything out of proportion due to poor math and reading.

Sorry, we're all tired of this, I've said too much, carry on.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/22/12 04:56 PM

Well, I'm wondering if the hours logged by Steam refer to actual online flying time or if it means time logged into Steam. Steam stays running in the background after you exit CoD, unless you deliberately exit it as well.

But I think we need to dump out the pot of coffee and brew up some decaf first before exploring this possibility. And I checked with my hunting buddies and fellow motorcycle enthusiasts and found out that, yes, I AM in the vast minority. In fact, they all contend that Port Dover on Lake Erie has NO white cliffs at all.....
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/22/12 05:44 PM

On the other hand I believe many of the real pilots that fought in the Real Battle of Britain went into battle with only 9 or 10 hours flight

time, so in that light I feel a little better about it. WinkNGrin

That would be 9-10 hours in type (Hurricane, Spitfire, etc). They had many more flight hours than that in getting their wings.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/23/12 12:18 AM

Well the hours must be wrong , not that is any big deal or anything smile I have more than 40 in the fmb let alone flying time offline.90% of that would be in offline mode. Then Online at atag i probably have something like 5-7 hrs.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/25/12 10:29 PM

Well, I'm wondering if the hours logged by Steam refer to actual online flying time or if it means time logged into Steam. Steam stays running in the background after you exit CoD, unless you deliberately exit it as well.

But I think we need to dump out the pot of coffee and brew up some decaf first before exploring this possibility. And I checked with my hunting buddies and fellow motorcycle enthusiasts and found out that, yes, I AM in the vast minority. In fact, they all contend that Port Dover on Lake Erie has NO white cliffs at all.....

It's hours spent in game, whether you are flying or not. I have about 425hours (haven't looked in a few days), a lot of which were spent making triggers, .cs files, maps and missions. Actual flying time is probably 2/3's of the total (a LOT less lately). Guys like Bliss I think have over 1k hours already (last time we compared), but that's completely understandable as the amount of work he puts into that server is overwhelming! smile

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/27/12 12:49 AM

omg..i looked again last night and only have 38 hours now, i think i have found a way to reverse time, as an added bonus in a few more years i may not have to shave anymore biggrin

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/27/12 12:51 AM

LOL, interesting, I thought my numbers went down recently (I remember having 600 hours back when I was making the multisquad campaign).

Go into the extras, and look at your stats there if you want to see some really funny/skewed numbers.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/27/12 07:49 AM

I think the stats will be fixed in the sequel.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/27/12 06:31 PM

LOL, I doubt it. Most people I've flown with didn't even realize it's there. Probably forgotten by the devs too, as no one has really mentioned that they broke a couple of patches ago.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 01/31/12 10:48 PM

Had a look at my stats, quite the lawn dart apparently smile

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/01/12 12:01 AM

I hope the stats are resettable. Mine should be quite abysmal considering my slow learning process,and my perpencity to use friend aircraft for target practice in offline training. wink
Posted By: PapaG39

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/13/12 07:27 PM

Hmmm, this is quite the thread. lots of varied opinions... LoL...

I picked up il2 CoD because I updated my computer and put Win7 on it. big mistake I'm thinken because now
I can not re-install il2 1946. On my computer it just will not be recognized by win 7, and will not even install.
This is a real bummer for me...I've had il2 original since it first came out and it is like loosing an old friend.

This new il2 just has to much stuff to learn & I have grown to slow at 72 to pick-up on all the 100 or so key punches required
to fly the damn thing.

I even tried ROF, but the control responses just are not worth the time and trouble i've spent attempting to get a comfortable flying aircraft..

I am sure there is a-way to get il2 1946 & subsequent patches to work on Win7, but I'll never figure it out..

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/13/12 08:08 PM

Hmmmm, and you seem only 39 PapaG smile

That's too bad about windows7 does not recognize your disk, strange
Posted By: EAF92_Splash

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/13/12 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: PapaG39
Hmmm, this is quite the thread. lots of varied opinions... LoL...

I picked up il2 CoD because I updated my computer and put Win7 on it. big mistake I'm thinken because now
I can not re-install il2 1946. On my computer it just will not be recognized by win 7, and will not even install.
This is a real bummer for me...I've had il2 original since it first came out and it is like loosing an old friend.

This new il2 just has to much stuff to learn & I have grown to slow at 72 to pick-up on all the 100 or so key punches required
to fly the damn thing.

I even tried ROF, but the control responses just are not worth the time and trouble i've spent attempting to get a comfortable flying aircraft..

I am sure there is a-way to get il2 1946 & subsequent patches to work on Win7, but I'll never figure it out..

IL2 1946 works fine on Win 7 (use it myself). It doesn't work with the usual install method (setup.exe), if I remember correctly the one to click on and open is a.exe it then installs as normal then.

hope it helps, apologies if you have already tried this

Splash

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/13/12 08:16 PM

Yeah, I have tried all of the reads that I could find, and I am sure that others which are more computer savvy then me have
il2 1946 through patch 4.11 working on Win7.

I miss a lot in the translation of computer stuff though, so it doesn't surprise me...
Posted By: Paul Saunders

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/13/12 09:03 PM

Definitely works on Win 7 64 bit. I have three different versions working, 4.10.1m, 4.11 and a heavily modded 4.10.1m.

Cheers

Paul

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/13/12 09:52 PM

O.K. Paul. Just how did you first install it.

I have it installed into a folder that I created in: " C:il2 1946 game" and it installed, but I can't set it up because the mouse cursor just moves at about 1/2 frame per second.

it installed via the "e.setup" when I opened the disc.

it is just not working for me, so I am doing something wrong.
Posted By: Paul Saunders

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/13/12 10:18 PM

I have 2 drives. An SSD where windows and very little else lives and my D drive. Right click and click explore to view contents of your Il2 DVD and click on a.exe.

Don't install to C drive program files. Install to another folder and or drive. I have mine on D:\games\ubisoft\Il2FB 1946

I had no problem installing the game, following the steps above.

Paul

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/13/12 11:09 PM

ahhh. Perhaps that is the problem.
I don't even know what an SSD is, and I only have my OS on a C drive which has two program folders.
Program files and Program files x86

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/14/12 12:46 AM

That should be fine Paul. Dont worry about the SSD thing, thats just a new style of drive.

Make a new folder in your C drive called GAMES.

When you explore the disc and click on the a.exe..use the browse option to find the GAMES folder you made and then install it there.

It works fine on win7 in all forms including the new patched version.

Drop a line if that doesnt work and we should be able to get you sorted smile

cheers

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/14/12 02:52 AM

O.k. I did that and installed 1946 into the C:/Games folder.
When I open and try to run setup I can only go about 1 frame per second, which just causes the mouse to jump around.
I un-re-installed 3 time but with the same scenario.
I did a CCleaner and defrag before this last install but that didn't help.

Any ideas?
Posted By: Pooch

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/14/12 03:00 AM

Good Lord Papa. At 39, you're too old to learn ROF? Start the engine, roll down the runway and pull back on the stick when you get enough airspeed. When you meet an enemy airplane, press your trigger button. I'm gonna be 60 in April.
Don't pick up DCS-A10. Hoo-boy! Still, another great sim.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/14/12 03:19 AM

Ha Ha ... Pooch I just celebrated my 33rd anniversery of my 39th birthday and I have no problem flying RoF but I really don't much like the game itself.

I've been hooked on il2 for to many years & never much liked just peddling along in a stagger wing though...

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/14/12 03:46 AM

Check this thread Papag.. WIN 7 IL2 <---scroll down for Wheels post .

Also check the conf ini file located in the main IL2 folder and make sure you are in 32 bit mode and not 16.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/15/12 03:19 AM

Well, I checked Wheels post and it brought "no joy" to me.

My Win7 64 bit system is set to 32bit in il2 conf.ini and in the setup.exe plus I created a copy of the .exe, but it made no difference.
I still get the jerky mouse & game.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/15/12 04:22 AM

Do you possibly have an old computer that you could use to load it?
I am using a copy from XP that I loaded to a USB thumb drive and jumping back and forth from WinXP to Win7 using it and I am not having any problems with it.

Wheels

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/15/12 07:17 AM

I can remember having this problem, is it the DX setting? make sure your running in OGL and dont touch the setup button EVER ...do all your settings changes in the conf.

Re: IL2 FB 4.11 Light years ahead of COD - 02/15/12 06:00 PM

Yep...Been in OGL for last 10 years or so...lol...
I don't have another computer either.
Oh well.. Guess it is just a thing of the past...bummer.
Time to just move on I guess.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums