homepage

Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq

Posted By: DudleyAz

Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq - 08/07/11 06:15 PM

Here is my latest attempt at figure painting.

Use this link if you want to see more pics of this guy and the rest of my stuff: Dud's Scale Models

It is a great kit only held back by my skills in painting it. But practice makes perfect, so I'll just keep practicing. I'm getting better at skin tones, but my eyes still pop out too much.

The figure is a Verlinden 120mm resin kit. I painted it with Valejo acrylics. I experimented with using filters to do the shadows and folds in the uniform, but struggled with it, so I went back to my tried and true shading and highlighting for the rest of the parts.

Any comments or suggestions on how to improve my work is greatly appreciated.

Now... what to do next? Charge

Dud
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq - 08/10/11 03:28 AM

Lokks pretty damn cool to me , even if he does look like he saw a ghost biggrin Wouldn't the eyes be more of a kit thing than your painting?

Re: Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq - 08/10/11 06:02 AM

I think that I could have done a better job of toning them down and using painting techniques to make him look a little less terrified, but I found that the more I screw with something, the worse it gets, so I'll just live with it. On the next one though..... eek2

Thanks,
Dud
Posted By: Cali

Re: Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq - 08/10/11 06:17 AM

You did a great job on it!
Posted By: Scoobe

Re: Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq - 08/11/11 12:13 AM

Looks amazing to me.. Good job!

Rob
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq - 08/14/11 08:08 AM

The eyes look just right to me for the action the figure is displaying.

Wheels
Posted By: Falstar

Re: Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq - 08/16/11 11:52 AM

Ok, I gotta know how you did the snow on the Panzerabwehrkanone 40 diorama. Amazing.

Re: Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq - 08/16/11 03:01 PM

Falstar,
It was an experiment using baking powder. The base if floral foam, covered with spackling compound. Once dry, I paint it with a heavy coat of craft paint (you know, the inexpensive stuff from craft stores), bone white with just a touch of light blue mixed in. I also mix in a little white glue, say a 5 to 1 ratio paint to glue. While that is still very wet, I sprinkle on a heavy coat of baking powder. Let all that dry, then turn the whole thing over and let the excess powder fall into a trash can (look out for the plume of powder, it gets everywhere!). Try to leave as much of the powder in place as possible. Now coat it all with a heavy coat of hair spray to lock everything in place.

I thought about coating it in a semi gloss clear coat to give the snow a little shine, but honestly I forgot about it I had already mounted the gun and crew, so I will try it next time.

Thanks for the kind words!

Dud

Dud's model collection
Posted By: Valisk_61

Re: Latest Creation - Figurine- 120mm 101st Airborne Sgt in Iraq - 08/17/11 08:32 AM

You're a talented chap Dud! Simpits AND mini-cockpits too! Your attention to detail really shows.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums