homepage

What are you building at the moment?

Posted By: Fille_SWE

What are you building at the moment? - 05/06/11 01:38 PM

Would be fun to see what you guys are building at the moment.
Im working on a Tamiya 1/72 Mosquito B Mk.IV. Im at the starting phase and i am working on the wings and landing gear.
Next in line is a Tamiya 1/48 JASD F-15J
Posted By: goon

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/06/11 02:31 PM

I've got the Kinetic E-2C going at the moment.

Quite a lot of fettling work for a modern mold.

I've removed lots of the detail from the wing hinges and replaced it.

It's a big bugger. That's A3 card it's sitting on.

It's a lot further on that now, with base colour on and detail painting started.
Posted By: Skii

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/06/11 03:22 PM

/\ Very nice E-2, love the wing fold detailing.

I'm currently converting the big Revell 1/32 Apache 'A' to a WAH-64 Westland 'D' , a lot of scratchbuilding required as the D needs almost a completely new cockpit, new sponsons and lots of other lumps, bumps and bits - all of which are nto available as aftermarket sets.

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/06/11 07:03 PM

Nice work on the e-2! How is the kinnectic models to build? Im still ā noob building on my 4th model. I would really like to build a e2 myself.

Skill: nice work on the apache! Have you posted that build on britmodeller? I recognised the build from a thread there, could also be another similar build.

Thanks for the show and tell. Its good for inspiration to see others projekts.
Posted By: godzilla1985

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/07/11 04:21 PM

Getting ready to crack into my 1/48th Kinetic F-84F Thunderstreak. The USAF Air National Guard base nearby (like in my back yard) flew them during the late 50's. I would love to start my Revell B-17G with the $150.00 worth of aftermarket I bought for it, but with the warmer weather almost here it would never get finished hahaha

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/08/11 12:24 PM

Nice projects godzilla!
Is that the new tool 1/72 B-17 your working on?

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/08/11 02:06 PM

Hi Fille_SWE
No it's the venerable 1/48th Monogram mold. I purchased the newer Revell pop (visable fuselage version) to get the crew figures. The aftermarket stuff is as follows
1). Verlindens B-17 set
2). Eduard B-17 interior/exterior/flap sets
3). Eduard B-17 Mask set
4). True Details resin wheels
5). True Details Resin Bombarder/Cockpit/Waist Gunners set
6). Eduard engine wire harness set
8). Master .50 metal gun barrels
9). Quickboost resin engines
10). Paragon resin crew access doors/prop goveners and wing intakes/open bombay sets
11). SAC metal landing gear
12.) Kit World decals (doing a 91st bird).
Still have not made up my mind what company to buy the resin bombs from yet. I have already cut and cleaned up all the kit parts and resin stuff but the real work comes when I start to recess the panel lines for kit dizzy I almost sold it all a few months back to pre-order WingScales 1/32nd B-17G, that was almost a huge mistake. Read here for anyone wanting that B-17 or the B-25's and Meteor they were doing in 1/32nd scale frown http://store.spruebrothers.com/helpdesk/default.aspx?RowID=1201

I also have Revells B-24D/B-26 and Tamiya's Lancaster BI/III that I plan to do the same enhancements on but to a much lesser extent as there just isn't as much aftermarket items for these kits.

The nice part about the F-84F is that the local ANG base has all their past mounts on static display, I have access so it should help a great deal for referance. They also have a F-86 F-30, F-86D, F-102 and A-7D which will be a real goldmine of referance when I get around to building those kits.
cheers

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/08/11 05:43 PM

Looks like you have a daunting task ahead of you with the B-17 then, i wish you all the luck and patience smile
I guess you like those ww2 bombers by looking at your stash, i have some hopes to try to build a bomber this summer. im building on my 4th model at the moment and im afraid that it might be a project that is to advanced for me as a newbe smile
I can imgagine how great it is to have all those planes near to get good reference and inspiration.

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/08/11 06:30 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Fille_SWE. I'm fairly big on WW2 bombers but really all era's of aviation intrest me model wise. I have certain subjects that I want to really go all out and some I just add a little and some I just build straight out of the box. Don't be too imtimidated about builds that seem overly daunting. Unless your building a Vac, resin, limited run or cottage industry kit most problems can be avoided by reading all the kit reviews and build articles you can find. Sometimes in these reviews you can pick up on some good tricks of the trade. I have seen quite a few inexperianced modelers who by taking their time and planning thier build, doing research, lots of dry fitting end up with some very good looking builds despite thier lack of experiance. Also try to accumulate some cheap kits just for the purpose of trying different or new things on. Even though I have been building for years I've always keep a small stash of cheap kits for this purpose. Most of these kits you can find at local swap meets, flea markets, and on occassion at some stores. Better to try a new paint or any new technic (even ones you have done before but are your rusty with) with a cheap $5.00 kit rather then a $40+ model.
cheers

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/08/11 09:47 PM

godzilla1985 thanks for the tips i apriciate it. i do share the love for ww2 bombers but i also like most eras the only one that i have no intrest of building is a ww1 plane. but all other eras got intresting subjects smile
I do have alist of some projects i would like build, one of them is build a series of different F-15´s. it also contains a He-111, B-17 and well the list goes on and on hehe smile
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/09/11 02:49 AM

Well, since you asked smile

The "work bench" (by which I mean tarp covered air-hockey table) currently has this on it:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3248237/Yet_another_Suncom_Restoration.html#Post3248237

Once that's out of the way, It'll be time to ready the RC fleet for the season. I also hope to be getting into heli's this year, so perhaps a T-rex 500 will be the next project smile

PS: You static guys make us RC guys look like amatures. $150 in after market parts! That's hard-core.

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/09/11 09:14 AM

Seems like you have some work ahead then and when youre finished you gonna have a great Hotas. I still have my old X-45, i have had that one for years hehe. Many many years ago i did fly alot of rc, i still got a Top Flight 1/7 P-47 half built some where in my parents storage house and a Kyosho 1/5 CAP 232 that is almost finished aswell. The T-rex 500 seems like a good choice for a helo.
Posted By: mynameismatt

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/09/11 01:20 PM

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, but here is my 1/72 Shuttle. Monogram kit with aftermarket decals. Still have some work to do on it. Wheels, and flatcoat yet to come.

This kit got my hands dirty so to speak for the 1/72 Shuttle Stack W/boosters that revell is re-releasing this month! It will be a monster!

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/09/11 03:50 PM

Man thats a huge beast. Really nice work on it and i think its the first model shuttle i have seen. You gonna need a huge space to display the shuttle with boosters. Really nice work and thanks for showing.

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/10/11 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Fille_SWE
Seems like you have some work ahead then and when youre finished you gonna have a great Hotas. I still have my old X-45, i have had that one for years hehe. Many many years ago i did fly alot of rc, i still got a Top Flight 1/7 P-47 half built some where in my parents storage house and a Kyosho 1/5 CAP 232 that is almost finished aswell. The T-rex 500 seems like a good choice for a helo.

Yea, I'm probably going to finish the throttle and then wait till fall to do the stick, but that should hold me over.

The "half-built" airframes are actually one of the reason I'm looking into helis. I realized I don't really have time right now to craft RC Fixed wing. Planes are built with glue, sand paper, exacto knives and a mix of patience and intuition. Conversely, Helis are built with a screw driver and the instruction manual. But if the sim is any indication, you'll never get bored flying one! With planes the difficulty is in the building, with helis it's in the flying. Learning to hover alone will take me the better part of the season.

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/10/11 08:13 PM

youre spot on about the half built airframes. i just dont have the time and money to go all in at the rc stage anymoore. Since im back at school and im getting married its not just me and my own freetime. Anyway i found that Sacle modelling both fit my time and budget and i have alot of fun aswell with it im very happy with this hobby.
Posted By: rockhpi

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/11/11 06:01 PM

Academy 1/48 MiG-21MF in Iraqi markings. It's almost done and I'd like to finish it so I can go on a battle of Britain tear.

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/12/11 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: rockhpi
Academy 1/48 MiG-21MF in Iraqi markings. It's almost done and I'd like to finish it so I can go on a battle of Britain tear.

Pics or it's not real smile

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/18/11 08:32 PM

Nice with a Mig 21 :), so the battle of britain tear what planes are you planning to build, spitfires, hurricanes?
Posted By: carrick58

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/22/11 05:43 AM

Wow U guys make me look sad. I am just finishing a 1/48 Albatross D-3 didn't come out like I wanted, but looks ok from a distance. Next project is a Mig 21 or a F9F in 1/ 72d scale.

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/22/11 05:04 PM

Dont be sad Carric, im not a master painter with my brushes but its still alot of fun and my fiancee always thinks i have done a good job so thats enough for me biggrin
Posted By: IV/JG7trumps

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/24/11 03:16 AM

on the building board at the moment is a 67" Bristol F2b, Peter Rake design, and short kit from Manzano lazerworks, going to go all out with this one regarding detailing, probably a 12month build.
i have a wing built up for a Hawker Tempest V from Ron Daniels as well, but that can sit there cause there are bipelanes to build! after the Bristol is done there should be a Heinkel He51 to build and prototype for Peter Rake, he has finally relented and agreed to draw one up for me after years of pestering smile
the Biff

my old pup floating along,

the Pfalz, now with about 20 great flights under her belt

Cheers Craig

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/24/11 08:32 AM

Amazing! i hope you keep us updated with how the building is coming along. those in flight pictures is stunning!

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/24/11 09:26 AM

Cheers mate, got plenty more and some vids here if your interested
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=195553

Craig

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/24/11 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: aggressorblue
Originally Posted By: rockhpi

Pics or it's not real smile

I didn't figure this would get a response! No pics yet. It's not my best effort, really - I'm still getting comfortable with my airbrush and I made the camo much too hard-edged. I used to enjoy flying the Iraqi MiG-21s in the old Strike Fighters Iran/Iraq War mod, so I decided to build one. Then the canopies got lost and delay, delay, delay-it's been forever. I do feel proud of the cockpit, as I added lots of cables and cut a resin cockpit tub down the middle to get in and do detailed painting-I think it looks nice, but the exterior paint job isn't the best. I have a slew of BoB planes I want to get to and I admit I just want to finish this up.

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/24/11 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Fille_SWE
Nice with a Mig 21 :), so the battle of britain tear what planes are you planning to build, spitfires, hurricanes?

The standards...I have the Tamiya 109 and Spitfire, Eduard's 110, and a Hurricane by a company whose name escapes me, but they make snap-together models that build into actual good-looking planes for very little cash (Pegasus? Is that right?). I will do the Hurricane true justice with the Russian one I have (forget by who) when I build it. I have read good reviews of Italeri's new 1/48 Stuka, so I may end up getting that as well.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/27/11 03:57 AM

thanks for the kind words u r a gentleman SWE
Posted By: valleyboy

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/28/11 07:36 AM

Building, or attempting to build the following at the same time (not a good idea!)

Revell Red Arrows Hawk 1/32nd
Airfix Vulcan 1/72nd
2 x Airfix Nimrods ( 1 x MR.2P, 1 x R1 )
Airfix Baccaneer 1/48th
Airfix Concorde 1/72nd

I also have many many more in various states of construction that have been put back in boxes so I can concentrate on the bove ! which includes a 1/24th airfix spitfire, and the 1/24th Mossie
Posted By: Fenix

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/28/11 11:19 AM

Atm I don't build anything but I'm waiting on my Hunting Percival Pembroke (Tp 83 in Swedish Air Force) and J 35J Draken in 1/72
Posted By: Scoobe

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 05/29/11 06:36 AM

Right now, im building the Wingnutz Se5.

When Im done with that Ive got 2 waiting kits waiting for me.

http://www.odinartcollectables.com/images/gulfhawk.jpg

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal6/5201-5300/gal5222_Cessna172_Mustafa/00.shtm

I built both of these as a kid and they were great kits, but I was in a rush to build them so I could play with them. So now Im building them and taking my time so I give them the justice they deserve. The gulfhawk, was cool because when you turned the prop, the wheels would go up. I never got it to work when I was a kid, so this time, Ill make it work.

The cessna was a very detailed kit with working lights and an electric motor. A very nicely detailed kit.

Rob
Posted By: Squid_DK

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 06/07/11 07:15 AM

Got a few things on the bench, but no time for them at the moment.
1:48th FW 190 A8 from Tamia
1:24 Scania R 142, Italeri
1:35 KönigsTiger, Henschel turret w/ Zimmeritt from Dragon.

Got about 60 more kits waiting to be made from a Wingnut Wings Se5a over the Hase F-22A witn etch detailing to the USS Forrest Sherman (AB Flight IIA DDG)

Staffan

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 12/23/11 02:53 PM

Some more progress, has been on hold for the last 6 months due to various reasons, but now the basic frameing is done.
still need to fab up rigging fixtures and such before i can start covering, and detailing. have been doing a bit of vac
forming as well for replicating all the metal paneling up front.

Cheers
Craig
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 12/24/11 08:45 AM

Wow that is going to be a big plane. Looking real nice though. thumbsup

Wheels

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 12/24/11 09:21 AM

Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu
Wow that is going to be a big plane. Looking real nice though. thumbsup

Wheels

Yeah, it is just short of 70" wingspan, it soesnt sound that much but when it's all in one piece
it is suprising how big it is!

Cheers
Craig
Posted By: semmern

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 12/24/11 12:00 PM

And you will FLY that model? You're nuts, but in a good way biggrin
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 12/24/11 01:46 PM

The link to the Gulfhawk wouldn't work for me but it sounds like the old Monogram kit, came in two versions if I recall, Navy F3F and the Gulfhawk, always wished they'd done an F4F like that.

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 12/25/11 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: semmern
And you will FLY that model? You're nuts, but in a good way biggrin

LOL, if it can't be flown there i no point in me building it wink

Craig
Posted By: Fenix

Re: What are you building at the moment? - 12/27/11 10:19 PM

I'm building Lee's Titanic in 1/360 scale with lights and engine but thinking on forgetting the engine.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums