homepage

This what you call CLOSE air support

Posted By: Mace71

This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/23/12 01:12 PM

Bit of swearing for the faint of heart smile

Posted By: Sim

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/23/12 01:57 PM

Danger close for GAU-8 is 65 meters as long as infantry is taking cover; not taking bloody videos and having way too much fun for danger close scenario.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/23/12 03:47 PM

If I had radio contact with the pilot, that would be cool. But if I was just in the vicinity and the pilot was shooting that close, I'd bug the hell out.... for all I know he was trying to get me!

Not clear what the A-10 was firing at though. Really cool on the second pass, where things started exploding and the sound came 5-6 seconds later.
Posted By: EinsteinEP

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/23/12 04:03 PM

Nice!

(Before gun fired): "Yeah, we're cool, we're cool."
(After gun fired): "PULL BACK!!! PULL BACK!!!"
Posted By: eno75

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/23/12 05:56 PM

WOW... that's incredible. Makes my hair stand on end! I never really latched on to the fact that the rounds would arrive that much farther ahead of the sound. Pretty freakin' awesome boys...
Posted By: BeachAV8R

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/23/12 06:23 PM

I didn't know Gordon Ramsey was in the infantry...bet they eat good at night.. thumbsup
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/24/12 02:27 PM

Supersonic rounds = they arrive and THEN you hear it. Literally no warning! biggrin

The Jedi Master

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/24/12 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Supersonic rounds = they arrive and THEN you hear it. Literally no warning! biggrin

IF you're lucky!! If not, you die and you never hear anything.

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/24/12 07:23 PM

I guess it depends on your definition of "lucky"! wink

The Jedi Master

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/24/12 08:02 PM

lucky = you still get to enjoy breathing
Posted By: Georgio

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/24/12 09:37 PM

If you sit down at the butts on a rifle range, it's amazing to hear the rounds zip by and then a couple of seconds later hear the report of the shot.
What always amazes me is that the round could be 10 feet above your head as it goes by but your ears tell you that it only just missed by a few inches.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: eodcheese11

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/25/12 10:43 AM

A few years back, I was on the range at Nellis clearing targets when a flight of A-10's decided to make some gun runs on the target we were on. Funny in retrospect, but at the time wasn't so much! Actually isn't that uncommon to be sent running by the pilots, btw!
Posted By: Ugly_Kid

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/25/12 06:19 PM

I don't think that there is one guy - except Chuck Norris - who was able to hear a conventional round with his
name on it and dodge due to the warning-sound he got. Then on the other hand Chuck could catch them between
his teeth supersonic/subsonic no matter what - so point is pretty mood, actually :>

Re: This what you call CLOSE air support - 02/27/12 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Georgio
If you sit down at the butts on a rifle range, it's amazing to hear the rounds zip by and then a couple of seconds later hear the report of the shot.
What always amazes me is that the round could be 10 feet above your head as it goes by but your ears tell you that it only just missed by a few inches.

That's because the shockwave DID pass that close to you, and that's what you're hearing...the compression of the air caused by the object. Because of the high speed it moves far from the actual object before dissipating, unlike slower objects whose air disturbances are smaller, just like the wake of a boat being felt farther away the faster it goes.

The Jedi Master
© 2024 SimHQ Forums