homepage

BF3 classes and new info...

Posted By: Magnum

BF3 classes and new info... - 07/07/11 04:10 PM

suppressive fire... tri-pods... etc etc...

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefi...of-class.aspx##

Posted By: December

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 03:38 AM

"This brings us to two new features in Battlefield 3: Bipods and Suppressive Fire. Bipods have a very practical use, especially for LMGs, as they provide a substantial increase in stability while laying down a base of fire. Bipods can be deployed anywhere by zooming in with your LMG when prone, or when standing/kneeling in front of suitable supports, such as a window sill. The stability created by deploying a Bipod gives players a massive boost in accuracy and recoil reduction. You’ll be able to unload an entire clip of 200 bullets from your LMG with great accuracy without even letting go of the trigger, all thanks to the Bipod.

Suppressive Fire is a new in-game mechanic that changes how you can play the game. When you lay down fire in close vicinity to an enemy, the incoming barrage will show up as a graphical blur effect on his screen to stress him and let him know it’s not safe to pop out from behind cover. Just as importantly, this mechanic also affects his character’s in-game firing accuracy, making him less of a threat by using real world tactics. Better yet? You get team play experience points for doing so!"

They are making this game way more "realistic" and tactical than BC2, however they MUST get in game comms to work to make it really team oriented.
Posted By: Beltfed

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 05:03 AM

SAw this and got a fuzzy good feeling. smile
Posted By: Pooch

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 05:29 AM

It's going to be a good one. But, man...I really wish they'd figure out a way to control the amount of snipers on a server. Realistically, it should probably be about 60% assault, 20% support, 15% engineers and 5% recon (snipers).

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 12:12 PM

agreed pooch... the sniper class has ruined many of online games/experiences IMO... BF series, MoH... etc etc.
Posted By: Executioner

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 02:15 PM

I'm just trying to make sure I have enough RL spare time to be able to play it, come October wink

The rest I can deal with - play with friends, known bods, only, etc smile

The machine should already be capable of running it - so no new stuff needed there, thankfully!

(already finding a little more time, so I can at least participate on my favourite forum - SimHQ wink)

Martin...

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Pooch
It's going to be a good one. But, man...I really wish they'd figure out a way to control the amount of snipers on a server. Realistically, it should probably be about 60% assault, 20% support, 15% engineers and 5% recon (snipers).

I guess it will be the same setup as BC2, you can't limit the numbers of a given class, players play what they want, they payed for the game so why can't they play the class they want to play. Having said that, snipers suck big time.
However there are servers running "pistol only" and "basic weapons" so....

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 03:34 PM

Sure thats true... you buy it, you play it... but whatever happened to server options... I bought it, I'd like to set up a server where i could limit the snipers... like you said, i bought it, i want to play it MY WAY.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Magnum
Sure thats true... you buy it, you play it... but whatever happened to server options... I bought it, I'd like to set up a server where i could limit the snipers... like you said, i bought it, i want to play it MY WAY.

I have it on pre-order (two copies - one for me, one for a mate) - but that can change I guess. Do we have a definitive position on running servers with BF3 - is it "run one if you like - we don't care - but don't expect your scores to count", or is it gonna be "nope - pay us for one - and run a couple of bits and pieces that WE think you can handle" ?

I'd like personal dedicated servers, so I can run this game in 5yrs time when they're sick of providing them for money. Must admit I've not really looked at that aspect of BF3 - but as usual I'm prepared to be disappointed wink

Martin...
Posted By: Jeevz

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 05:39 PM

Only 4 classes again? How many did BF2 have, six or seven?
Posted By: Friday

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/08/11 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: December

I guess it will be the same setup as BC2, you can't limit the numbers of a given class, players play what they want, they payed for the game so why can't they play the class they want to play. Having said that, snipers suck big time.
However there are servers running "pistol only" and "basic weapons" so....

I've played on a server that limits snipers, when I tried to choose that class the game started and I keeled over and it said "maximum number of recon reached" and I had to choose another class, I think they only allowed 2 or 3 snipers at a time.

I've maxed out on recon and now i'm going for assault, damn those people with the body armor and reflex sights ar15 you're making my life difficult :0)
Posted By: Dirt_Diver

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 12:37 AM

The Recon class doesn’t get a ghillie suit in BF3? Now I won’t know who to shoot at first!cuss2 Ah well, hopefully ghille suits will be an upgrade or something.

Seriously though, what’s up with all the sniper hatred? Are you guys that complain not able to get some shots on ‘em? Are you running around out in the open? Is your surround sound not set up so that you can hear where the shots are coming from? Can you not see the vapor trail from the shot and follow it back to the origin? Are you not using cover and concealment and covering your open sectors? WHAT!?!? LOL

Check it out ... a wookie is hitting on your wife or girlfriend as you read this message! biggrin ...

Ya, I know, sometimes you join a game and it seems like you’re fighting against a clan of snipers. In that case, just hit the exit game button ... simple as that. Don’t moan and groan on the forums.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 12:37 AM

I agree, you should be able to run your server your way, and you can, just don't expect your stats to be updated which means no weapon upgrades.
I don't think EA took any action against servers running class limits anyway. There were usually snipers moaning on the forums about some servers that limited the class, asking where they could report them to EA, but the servers stayed up.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 12:50 AM

Quote:
Don’t moan and groan on the forums.

I wouldn't call it moaning and groaning... but yes, thats exactly what forums are for... sure it can turn to #%&*$#, but these forums welcome a good discussion for and against.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 01:07 AM

I prefer discussions about how to overcome an obstacle instead of just saying the obstacle sucks.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 02:10 AM

then start your own forum or go elsewhere... until you own SimHQ or work for the site, WE will make the rules on what to discuss and how.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 02:26 AM

exactly the reply I expected smile
Posted By: red barron

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 02:32 AM

My biggest beef with the average sniper is they are not team players (although I have never met one that isn't the best shot, don't worry they will let you know!). Most seem to concerned on padding their stats, and don't really try to help capture or defend a base/m-com. Another thing that really gets me about snipers are when they take one of the teams assets (say like an Apache) and crash it, just to get to a position where they think no one will see them. The class in the game is called "Recon" but gives no awards for it. As in real life a recons duty is to collect information on the enemy more then taking out targets.

Just my two cents so take it for whatever its worth!

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 02:40 AM

and I agree RB, and a good point post.
Posted By: PFunk

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 03:15 AM

Can't stand bush Wookies. America's Army didn't do much right, but it did know how to control the number of people in the game using sniper rifles. There were X number of available slots and if you didn't click your preferred slot in time, you didn't get it.

And you had to qualify with it first.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 03:57 AM

then start your own forum or go elsewhere... until you own SimHQ or work for the site, WE will make the rules on what to discuss and how.

Come on. Is there anyone here at SimHQ who can explain to me how to get this "Magnum" fella out of here? I'll do whatever it takes.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 04:10 AM

complain to doug, owner and operator of SimHQ... he tell me to leave, then gone. wink

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 04:13 AM

Magnum, I was joking above but I’ve got a challenge for you ... 1 vs 1 Ghost Recon counter-sniper action. Best two out of three. If you win ... I’ll leave SimHQ. If I win ... I’ll stick around to bug you some more biggrin Your choice of servers.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 04:45 AM

hell no... already told you i think your one of the best gamers here at SimHQ skill wise... my only beef with you is your condescending replies to opinions you don't agree with...

Back On Topic: you make some good anti-sniper tactics remarks above... but then with the usual... stop whining, stop moaning about it... ending. Over use of snipers in most tactical shooters is evident, so talking about it in a forum like this is 100% acceptable.

If you don't agree with a position, counter point... but with respect. Thats all I ask.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 05:07 AM

I read here that there are too many snipers and servers can't keep their numbers down. But as stated I've played on several (simHQs too) that only allow a sniper or two per side... I was 'killed' when I selected sniper. I just wish the schmoos let me know that there were too many
Posted By: Pooch

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 05:50 AM

My intention wasn't to whine, I'd just like to get into a realistic firefight. A couple of units firing away at each other, trying to gain the best position, outflanking...etc. Infantry tactics.
With everybody a sniper, no way that's going to happen. To be honest, I can't imagine anything more boring than sitting in one place and sniping at guys.
I love the excitement of trying to take and hold a position with my unit. My favorite class is assault. I just want to be an average grunt fighting as part of a platoon. Team player, here. Couldn't care less about points.
And the part about the assault people healing troops, isn't a bad idea. In real combat, your buddies would certainly try to save your ass, stop the bleeding, dress a wound, whatever they could do until the docs came along. They wouldn't just leave you to die.
Anyway, I'm very, very much looking forward to this. Gonna be fun. And if I really wanna get serious, I'll pick up Red Orchestra2.
Posted By: Friday

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 09:43 AM

As recon, I try to help out my buddies as much as I can, I look out for enemy snipers and groups of people and armor to call mortor strikes in on.
I must say though, some of the assault guys with optics are damn accurate too.

Looking forward to BF3, just had a recent upgrade so no worries here biggrin

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/09/11 03:20 PM

I love the excitement of trying to take and hold a position with my unit. My favorite class is assault. I just want to be an average grunt fighting as part of a platoon. Team player, here. Couldn't care less about points.

I completely agree with this sentiment. It's just exhilarating to scream into a position with guys around you - knowing that to your left and right people are trying to keep enemy heads down (or blow them off). The number of times I've had a guy appear off to one side with me in his sights, only to have a team-mate mow him down at the last second just can't be counted! biggrin

Who care's about the points - you can't take em with you wink

Martin...
Posted By: Ojokoltsa

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/10/11 08:35 AM

Looks pretty good!

I'm still not sure whether to buy this one or not. But it definitely looks interesting. I'll keep an eye on this title.

I just want to be an average grunt fighting as part of a platoon. Team player, here. Couldn't care less about points.

+1
Posted By: red barron

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/10/11 12:46 PM

I want to know how battlefield 3 will deal with the prone system. In battelfield 2 insta prone was annoying

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/11/11 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: red barron
I want to know how battlefield 3 will deal with the prone system. In battelfield 2 insta prone was annoying

I'm with ya red. In BF2 you could do this combined jump/prone move where you’d go prone mid-air ... kinda like diving for the dirt or what others call a dolphin dive. This was good if you were the diving shooter but bad if you were shooting at said dolphin smile

I don’t think this'll exist in BF3 as DICE has adopted the FIFA Soccer animation engine because they're friggin' geniuses! smile I think the animations should be a lot smoother this time around.
Posted By: shadylurker

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/12/11 04:50 AM

I don't always choose recon, but when I do, assault Wookie all the way.
Posted By: kestrel79

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/12/11 04:51 AM

It would be cool if the squad leader could hit a button and chat with the other squad leaders like in PR. That way you can coordinate attacks with multiple squads. Hopefully they can figure out a way to do this on a PS3 controller (yes I play on ps3).

Right now in BFBC2 I have been playing as the sniper and with the right weapons you can still be an effective team player with the sniper kit. True though most don't play this way and just sit on one side of the map and get 1 kill per round just sitting there. But done right a sniper can throw motion mines while capping, switch to a handgun and be pretty solid in a close range fire fight in the right hands.

Really looking forward to this game it will take up LOTS of time for me smile

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/12/11 03:59 PM

Maybe there should be 2 classes of snipers, the useful guys that sit on the edge of the map sniping and calling out targets and arty who have no need for motion mines, and the useless snipers who are up front taking objectives where motion mines are not so useful. Who the hell needs a sniper running around looking like a bush with a hand gun capping objectives?
Give the motion mines to another class and let the wookies sit in a bush.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/12/11 04:11 PM

well BF3 is suppose to introduce some type of platoon/squad/team grouping before joining the game... so maybe that will happen Kestrel... maybe. wink
Posted By: FearlessFrog

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/15/11 10:08 PM

Good on you - I personally prefer a bit of strong opinion. Magnum - come by some of the flight sub-forums, they're being killed by lack of opinionated mods, they get trashed daily by trolls and it ended up as 'sorry, if it's in the ToS it stays, nothing we can do..'.

Forum modding is hard, but it's also there to curate discussion and not just respect free-speech. People come here to chat not pulpit an extreme..

Oh, and on topic - I never met a sniper in BC2 that I didn't enjoy stabbing in the back while they ass-sat. I've been on enough public servers watching COMs failing to be grabbed to enjoy every kill smile

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/16/11 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

Good on you - I personally prefer a bit of strong opinion. Magnum - come by some of the flight sub-forums, they're being killed by lack of opinionated mods, they get trashed daily by trolls and it ended up as 'sorry, if it's in the ToS it stays, nothing we can do..'.

Forum modding is hard, but it's also there to curate discussion and not just respect free-speech. People come here to chat not pulpit an extreme..

Oh, and on topic - I never met a sniper in BC2 that I didn't enjoy stabbing in the back while they ass-sat. I've been on enough public servers watching COMs failing to be grabbed to enjoy every kill smile

Frog, I’m not sure why you wanted to step into this but I’m inferring that you’re taking a bit of a shot at me.

I originally replied to this thread because I get tired of people on the forums saying things like "snipers suck" if they can't seem to deal with the problem. I was merely suggesting that people should discuss how to overcome their problem instead of just saying that it sucks but Magnum retaliated with that closed minded “go away, this is our site” response that I’m so used to from him. If anyone here is pontificating an extreme, I would say it was Magnum.
Posted By: FearlessFrog

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/16/11 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Dirt_Diver
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

Frog, I’m not sure why you wanted to step into this but I’m inferring that you’re taking a bit of a shot at me.

I originally replied to this thread because I get tired of people on the forums saying things like "snipers suck" if they can't seem to deal with the problem. I was merely suggesting that people should discuss how to overcome their problem instead of just saying that it sucks but Magnum retaliated with that closed minded “go away, this is our site” response that I’m so used to from him. If anyone here is pontificating an extreme, I would say it was Magnum.

No shot at you Driver, and apologies if it read that way. It was more that Magnum was getting into the swing of discussions as a true gamer and I liked that. Probably a mistake to step in this thread.

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/16/11 03:29 AM

don't worry about it... DD and I have a love/dislike relationship here... and it fits fine. wink

Re: BF3 classes and new info... - 07/21/11 11:01 PM

KIDS!! Yer all pretty so hug n move on!! smile

Again I recall playin on servers that had sniper limits.

I think a sniper can be a team player but it's all about comms... They (the sniper) should call out targets location, call fer fires (11 Charlies like boom booms! ) supress troops by killing or at least drawing them off. Additionally when peeps get mad @ snipers they get stoopider (me included smile ) and do dumb things.. diluting attacks on friendlies. But again it's all about COMMS. The most dangerous thing any trooper has is a radio with fresh batteries! So I like to call out stuff on teamspeak in addition to screaming like a little girl when I get shot at smile

Also people have to LISTEN... and feedback.. It doesn't have to be like Military Monday stuff but if no one is listening then data is useless..
© 2024 SimHQ Forums