homepage

JF-18 Improved wish-list

Posted By: Anonymous

JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 11:03 AM

EDIT: This post is constantly being updated.

If there one day can be a "Jane's F/A-18 Simulator Improved"... what would you like for this version?

I think there are three main categories: Bug fixes, Change/Improvement Requests, Feature Requests.

Bug fixes are real errors that shouldn't be in the game. Change/Improvement Requests are requests that something that is in the game, but is not a bug, should be changed and/or improved. Feature Requests are requests for things that are not yet in the game.

The bugs are #1 priority, change requests #2, feature requests #3. Yes I know people will be jumping and screaming to get new stuff for the game, such as a dynamic campaign generator and new planes. However feature requests are that which will require the most planning and work. Bug-fixing is relatively easy in comparison and can give fast results. People like to see that things are happening.

Ok, some things to put on the wish-list from the top of my head:

Bug fixes for:
- The Ramp Strike bug
- CTD when Volumetric Explosions are enabled in Windows XP
- View/Hat Up-bug in XP
- Gridlines in water when enabling antialiasing in XP
- The times stated for each leg in the mission planner are off by one waypoint.
- FAC gives information based on the wrong waypoint.
- FAC CTD.
- Inaccurate effect of weapons meant for hardened/non-hardened targets.
- Cannot jettison rocket pods individually.

By Bones:
- HARM PB Bug
- Bug with carrier landings not shown in total.
- Bloated pilot file bug.

By Recluse:
- ATFLIR/HARM exploit that allows a timer/release cue in HARM TOO mode.
- Bug that makes cluster munitions ineffective against parked aircraft.
- Mission builder/briefing map going black when zooming.

By FLYdude:
- JDAM tracking moving targets.

By 96th_Wolf
- Range arc missing for A/G gun pipper.
- AIM-120 gives RWR warning before seeker is active.

By Alex41:
- A/G rocket pipper is grossly inaccurate.

By Tatsu:
- Frame rate drop in Air-to-Air mode when using antialisasing.

Change Requests:
- The flight model of the F/A-18 should be made to better represent the RL aircraft type.
- Improved ground radar, similar to that in JF-15.
- You should not be able to padlock an object/plane that is not within line of sight (takes the fun out of MP dog-fights).
- Padlocking should only work if you look in the general direction of the object/plane you want to padlock.
- View zoom (to better represent the capabilities of the human eye)
- Improved alpha checks to friendly flights.
- Scalable fonts so that the screen resolution does not affect the readability.
- Replace PCX-graphics with BMP dito.
- More accurate HARM modelling (35 nm range on any altitude and then 45 degree nose down? NFW!).
- More accurate weapons modelling in general, with for instance wind drift, wobbling and CEP modelling.
- Application controlled antialisaing and ansiotropic filtering (instead of having to hardwire the card to do it).
- No more CPU-hogging (Alt-TAB to the desktop while in flight and you'll see what I mean).
- Better interaction with voice com software(BattleCom + JF-18 + XP works poorly for many. JF-18 + TS 2 works adquatly but experiences random disturbances)
- AI improvement when it comes to SEAD. (I'll strangle the next AI that fires a HARM at a AAA when there is a SA-10 shooting at me!!!).
- AI should stick to their wingman instead of the flight lead.
- More than 8 players in MP.
- More sofisticated EW and SAM AI. Such as the ability to make "SAM traps".

By Bones:
- Wide angle view.
- Improved pilot editor/viewer.
- New flight callsigns.
- Improved breifing with target recon photograhs.
- Improved user interface for mission builder.
- Aircraft loading interface improvement.
- Color BIT page.
- Updated manual.
- Graphics showing hands while in cockpit.
- Analog back-up compass.
- Updated comms.
- Animated details on GBU.
- Updated explosion graphics.
- Updated missile exhaust flash.
- Sonic boom in external view.
- Updated AB spikes.
- Animated exhaust nozzles.
- Updated steam graphics.
- Updated animations/models for crippled/destroyed aircraft.
- Animated refueling probe.
- More options for controlling what targets the AI attacks.
- Locked targets should remain visable in the HUD even if you are winchester.
- Updated head slewing.
- Padlock line-of-sight object.
- Tweak/fix the terrain textures and motion to give a better feeling of high speed at low altitude.

By John_H:
- Enhanced Track IR support
- Improved helmet aiming.

By FLYdude:
- Updated AIM-9 behaviour modelling.

By Alex41:
- Improve AI leader abilities, among other things to take command of a flight when the flight lead is no longer mission capable.

By Tatsu:
- Improved tutorial missions.

By StealthSnake:
- In multiplayer, all players should be in the briefing at the same time.

By Clark:
- Improve (or rather: create) anti-blue-on-blue behaviour for AI Tomcats.

By Nef (and others at Checksix.com):
- Improved FM for all aircraft.
- Add missing MFD pages (compare to NATOPS).
- More buildings (bases, cities etc).
- More AI aircraft airborne.

Feature Requests:
- "Coherent & Total Immersion Campaign" engine. The campaign engine should to a higher degree reflect that resources are being used/destroyed/repaired/replaced. Today the campaign author must handle this manually and only a small degree of automation exists. Further more the campaign engine whould be able to handle many other things automatically, such as dynamic creation of missions.
- User friendly addons manager (the one in F4 gives me chills because of its complexity and non-user-friendly interface).
- Object/Landscape/Theatre manager (perhaps under the addons manager?)
- Object/Landscape/Theatre editor.
- Better ACMI/Replay. It would be very nice to be able to direct "movies" that can be saved and replayed within the game.
- Plug & Play/Addons architechture for allowing new aircraft/vehicles.
- Same as above but for flyable aircraft
- Multiplayer voice com integrated in the game.
- Voice controlled aircraft functions and AI (exotic, I know... but possible \:\) )
- In MP games, being able to leave and join a flight in progress. If you leave, AI takes your place. If you join, select an AI controlled plane.
- Dedicated servers.
- Linux servers.
- Remotely controllable servers.
- Wind.
- Chat lobby.
- Voice chat lobby.

From Bones:
- F/A-18F, flyable by two players.
- Deck crew.
- Sound editor/plugins.
- On-deck controllable F/A-18.
- Pilot career simulator.
- Changable carriers/battle groups.
- NVG for pilot.
- Controllable canopy and wing folding.

By Alex41:
- Dynamically changing sky depending on flight altitude and similar effects.

By pfunkmusik:
- Casual and hardcore flight models/avionics.

By Big_Daddy:
- Weather patterns, preferably dynamic.
- Allow more movie formats for campaigns (for example *.avi and *.mpeg)
- Arbitrary headings for airfields.
- Standby attitude reference indicator with azimuth, elevation deviation bars, water mark and slip indicator.
- View weapons on all planes.
- Dual throttle control.
- Realistic start up procedures
- Cockpit lighting
- Ejection handle in the cockpit
- Active left and right consoles with clickable switches.
- Smooth cockpit zooming.

By Julian Data:
- More active and varying deck operations with for instance parked aircraft on the bow.
- Taking advantage of modern graphics card features such as T&L etc.

By Nef (and others at Checksix.com):
- Folding wings on all (compatible) aircraft on a carrier.
- Revise the amount of skill needed to evade missiles (too easy today).

By Recluse:
- Address book for MP.

Rejected requests:
- Range finder and launch cue for the HARM when in TOO mode. Reason: The real F/A-18 doesn't have this. (I'm shocked!).

Feel free to add anything to this list. If you add anything, please be as specific as possible. The development team cannot use requests that are fuzzy and/or too abstract. A request must be so that you can print it in a list... do some changes, look at the list and say "Yes, we have done this"... and put a big fat mark next to the item.

Example:

"I want a better campaign engine".

Well d-uh... good for you! How does the team know when they have fullfilled that request? They can't! The request is too fuzzy.

Example 2:

"My game doesn't work when I take off!"

Eh... well how do you expect the team to do anything about that when you're not giving them enough information to be able to reproduce the error?

Example 3:

"You cannot jettison rocket pods except when you jettison all weapons."

This is good! This is something the team can narrow down easilly. Once you can jettison the rocket pods separatly, the team can mark this item as finished.

/J
Posted By: bones

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 04:06 PM

Ok, some things to put on the wish-list from the top of my head:

Bugs
- The HARM PB bug (this develops after awhile, the sim will CTD when you hit the PB button)
- GBU-24A V. GBU-24B bug
- Pilot file bugs where you have your carrier landings not listed in total
-Bloated pilot file bug causing CTD after you finish a mission (nothing like doing really good jsut to have your results wiped out)

Change Requests:
- Alternate view between wide angle view (where you can still read the HUD) and the regular view
-Better pilot naming and pilot management with an easier-to-navigate dossier (how many of us who have flown hundreds of missions are sick of clicking on the little plus sign and scrolling via mouse click?) and total sum of awards (I also miss the graphical representation of your awards)
-Better "ACMI" (the one that comes with JF18 sucks)
-More choice of flight callsigns (I'm tired of the phonetic alphabet, planets, and fish being used as callsigns)
-Improved briefing maps. (They are so cluttered with player icons stacked underneath AI icons and waypoint routes all over the place I don't bother looking at them half the time.)
-Better intel photos of target (a la F4--It's hard to ID your target from a tiny bird's eye view in the briefing--it would be nice to get multiple angle views of the target)
-Improve mission builder usability (a bunch of the icons don't do a thing, and the manual doesn't explain any of the functions well enough)
-Option in weapons loading to equip all aircraft the same as a particular aircraft (it's a nuisance to have to drag and drop over and over for each aircraft when outfitting them similarly could be one click away like in alot of FPS)
-On-the-fly programming of JDAMs with TOO GPS coordinates (just like the real JDAM)
-Color BIT page as promised in the quick referenc card
-Rewritten manual addressing the functions missing or changed from the original manual.
-Graphics of your hands on the throttle and stick
-Analog magnetic compass as a backup
-Improve EXP mode radar so we don't have to count dots
-Better tower comms for ground/pattern ops ashore and at sea (like F4)
-Moving control surfaces on GBU canards and realistic physics on dropped weapons (ie, bombs rolling about their axis as they fall, or wobbling as they come off the pylon)
-Better explosions from CBUs (so far LOMAC has the best ones I've seen, and F4 is good too)
-Better graphics for missile exhaust flash
-Sonic boom in external view when going supersonic
-Better graphics for AB spikes (heat waves would be cool too)and nozzles that expand and contract accordingly
-Better graphics for damage and shoot-downs (bandits that are shot down look boxy and unreal)
-When your refueling probe is extended, actually animte it extending instead of having it "blink" on and "blink" off
-Better steam on catapults rather than those puffs of air
-AI should be better at attacking targets (ie, those times when you want themto attack their primary target and when you go to tell them, there is no option for that so you tell them to hit TOO and hope they get it right)
-Just because you are winchester weapons shouldn't mean that you can't still see a target designated in your HUD-this should b fixed
-Faster slewing views. I don't know ANY fighter pilot that would turn his head THAT slow in combat
-Option to choose what to padlock (good in landing--ever try to padlock the carrier and to snaps to a frigate instead?)

Feature Requests:
- Foxtrot model Super Hornet: Have the rear cockpit available like in JF-15 and Fleet Defender. In MP, make it possible to co-op with one person being pilot and the other WSO
-Add deck crew! The deck ops are nice, but so unreal when you are directed by invisible crew. USNF97 only had one deck guy, but that's one more than JF-18!
-Option to record your own callsigns and stock lines if you want to make your own package callsigns and so forth
-(Real) On-deck-controllable F/A-18 to follow deck crew instructions to get on the cat (like USNF97) or the elevator or off the wires
-Navy Flying Career simulator such as in Fleet Defender where you have to enlist, train in other aircraft, then hit the fleet--and after awhile if you're good enough, get selected for Top Gun, etc.
-Changeable carriers/battle groups
-Other campaign theatres
-Better radio comms with packages/AI
-NVG for pilot
-Controllable canopy and wing folding

All I have time for right now...!

v6,
boNes
Posted By: CJ Martin

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 04:36 PM

Overall not a bad list, however:

Quote:
Originally posted by JStar:
[b]- Range finder and launch cue for the HARM when in TOO mode (I cannot for my life believe that the RL F/A-18 does not have this).
Believe it.

-CJ

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ Martin:
Overall not a bad list, however:

Quote:
Originally posted by JStar:
[b]- Range finder and launch cue for the HARM when in TOO mode (I cannot for my life believe that the RL F/A-18 does not have this).
Believe it.

-CJ

No no no... I refuse!!! It's a conspiracy to hide the true capabilities of the superbug! It must be!!!

/J
Posted By: Recluse

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 05:26 PM

LOL! Perhaps in light of reality, we need to TAKE OUT the 'bug' that DOES give you a HARM countdown cue if you have the ATFLIR up with a HARM seeker target selected \:\)

Makes PERFECT sense that it shouldn't give you distance cues as the detection is totally passive.

Ok Here's my list additions:

1)(With apologies to ELF..)
Fix to allow CLUSTER WEAPONS to inflict damage on parked aircraft

2)Fix in Pilot Stats so that Summary Stats are rendered correctly.

...have a couple more specific Mission Builder related, (Events and Debrief items that either don't seem to work, or whose function is not understood..) but I can't remember them. Will repost..

Recluse

P.S. @Bones: You can toggle bet. WideView and Normal with the TSHV1 Wideview package. ALT-F4
Posted By: Scott Elson

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Recluse:

1)(With apologies to ELF..)
Fix to allow CLUSTER WEAPONS to inflict damage on parked aircraft

LOL, no need to apologize. If you hadn't mentioned it I would have, it's been annoying me since it first showed up (after we did the patch, DOH!). If you actually get your hands on the code it's easy to fix.

Elf

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 07:06 PM

It's nice to see members of the original programming team are still following this forum. F/A-18 is already very complete and stable and does not need more than some tweaking IMHO.

To me, the first priority would be:

- enhanced Track Ir support;

secondly, to add to the wish list:

-Hud only view, as in Falcon 4.0,( would be great for carrier landings ;\) );

-a Helmet mode for the Aim-9x. ( I understand the real F/A-18 as this capability and that it almost made it in the game );

-Improved campaign. The ideal would be something like the Mig Alley/BoB campaign system, although I would be happy if there was a way to add more randomness so that when you start a campaign, you are not always reflying the same 1-2 missions;

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 07:21 PM

Actually there is a sort of Helmet Mode for AIM-9X! If you padlock a target and U for UNCAGE SEEKER, your AIM-9x will lock on to the Padlocked Target..

Hmmm and I am pretty sure there IS a HUD only view as well..

Another Bug Fix (though, I fear that intermittent bugs like this and the PB CTD in Multiplayer will be very hard..unless their cause can be determined. Seems to be bit rot more than anything else..)

-Occasional 'Mission Builder Map fades to black when zooming in'

Recluse

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 08:30 PM

Yes, there is a HUD only view---Shift-F1

And yeah, I know about TSH's wide angle and regular switchable view, but not everyone can run it and the fonts are not really readable (according to TSH's warning). It would be nice if it was integrated into the software from the get-go.

v6,
boNes

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 08:47 PM

Quote:
Seems to be bit rot more than anything else..)
My guess for the Rampe Strike Bug is just that... a bad case of bit rot.

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bones:
Shift-F1 is the no-cockpit view...hardly the same thing :rolleyes:

In the default cockpit, the hud text gets too small and hard to read if you play at 1600x1200, the no-cockpit view only removes the cockpit, it does not make the Hud font any bigger.

F/A-18 already has nice close up views of the four MFD's, I never understood why they did not implement a close-up Hud view like Falcon 4.0

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 09:38 PM

Quote:
Actually there is a sort of Helmet Mode for AIM-9X! If you padlock a target and U for UNCAGE SEEKER, your AIM-9x will lock on to the Padlocked Target..
Yes, I am aware of that feature and I have used it often. As I understand it, the programming team wanted to implement a helmet mode but ran out of time and only got as far as programming that feature, but it's far from being a real Helmet mode.
Posted By: flyd

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/23/04 11:38 PM

Uh, nice thread!

Let's see, most of the stuff is already mentioned, and JF-18 is near-perfect as it is...

There are only two things, which can be considered bugs, that I can think of at the moment.

1) JDAM following moving targets.
2) AIM-9 pure pursuit instead of lead.
Posted By: Operator

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 12:49 AM

Improvememtns... How about getting us some freaking decent framerates on state of the art rigs.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 01:03 AM

1) A/G CCIP gun pipper should have a range arc/readout just like the A/A pipper. JF-15 had it.

2) AIM-120C gives the target a RWR warning immediately upon launch, when in fact it shouldn't until the seeker head goes active (several miles later).

3) AIM-9X is not even close to the real deal, this should be corrected.

4) TrackIR support (I'm sure it has been mentionned already but the thread is too long :p ).

5) I must repeat what FLYdude said, AIM-9s should be LEAD pursuit, not pure!

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Operator:
Improvememtns... How about getting us some freaking decent framerates on state of the art rigs.
Quote:
Originally posted by 96th_Wolf:
These are what I mean by fuzzy requests. :p

/J
Posted By: Alex41

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 02:31 AM

There are three things that I want to include..

-When you ejected, the mission will fail. I dont like it, it is unreal.. When u ejected, your wingman (#2) will take over the command and proceed to our mission. That what I wanted..

-Fix the pipper on the HUD when u select the rockets, that pipper is inaccurate. When that pipper is on the target and fired the rockets but instead hit the target, the rockets fly past the target. (But I use one solution to make rockets hit the target.. Use the velocity vector instead the pipper)

-Make the sky more darker when I am fly high in air and when I am on the ground the sky will more brighter than that. And try make the stars to appear when I am fly so high too. (Just like those cool sky effects in LOMAC)
Posted By: 'Doc'

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John_H:
Quote:
Originally posted by bones:
Shift-F1 is the no-cockpit view...hardly the same thing :rolleyes:

In the default cockpit, the hud text gets too small and hard to read if you play at 1600x1200, the no-cockpit view only removes the cockpit, it does not make the Hud font any bigger.

F/A-18 already has nice close up views of the four MFD's, I never understood why they did not implement a close-up Hud view like Falcon 4.0
Actually, John, bones is correct. Shift-F1 does give a HUD-only view--i.e., Shift-F1 gives a HUD without a cockpit, which is a HUD-only view. What you are referring to is not a HUD-only view, but instead a zoom-HUD view. Remember, we gotta' be precise in our requests! ;\) \:\) \:D
Posted By: PFunk

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 03:59 AM

Casual and hardcre flight model options. This should include avionics. Simple radar and TEWS (similar to JF-15)

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex41:

-When you ejected, the mission will fail.
Not entirely true. That depends on how the mission is modelled and what triggers success/failure. You may get the "Mission End" box... but you can say "No" to that and just wait on the ground until the rest of the flight gets home.

Note though that the stock campaign is modelled such that if your target is missed, then the mission will fail, even if the AI hits all their targets. But this is controllable by the mission maker.

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 09:56 AM

I have added a few things of my own to the list:

Change Requests:
- AI improvement when it comes to SEAD.
- AI should stick to their wingman instead of the flight lead.
- More than 8 players in MP.
- More sofisticated EW and SAM AI.

Feature Requests:
- In MP games, being able to leave and join a flight in progress.
- Dedicated servers.
- Linux servers.
- Remotely controllable servers.
- Wind.

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 03:38 PM

This is turning into a pretty good thread, lets keep it up. Doc, I suggest you or someone else from TSH complile these into a list. A sorted list on the TSH website would be useful for showing the powers that might care what you hope to achieve if you get access to the source.

Recognize too that some of the things on this list are not trival...but it is always good to dream.

-CJ

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 04:46 PM

Quote:
Recognize too that some of the things on this list are not trival...but it is always good to dream.
Oh if TSH manages to implement even a third of this list, I'll be a happy camper. Personally I expect 50% to 75% of the bugs on the list to be eliminated, 25% to 50% of the change requests and 0% to 25% of the feature requests to be implemented.

/J
Posted By: Tatsu

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 08:04 PM

Okay things I like to see...

Fix the slow down when you have FSAA on and switch to Air to Air radar.

Fix the "melting" terrian graphics

I like to see the carrier deck pitch up and down more.

A more active carrier deck.

The ability to dead stick a landing on the ground.

Wings of Gold training flights that walks you through a RAG syllabus, prepping you for the fleet.

Semper Fi
Tatsu
Posted By: Old Navy

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 09:31 PM

I would like to see the ability to record, store, edit, and playback missions like in IL-2.

The game inputs are stored during the mission (joystick, keystrokes etc.), a relatively small file, then played back through the game later so you can see it from all aspects, using the different view commands.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/24/04 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Star:
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex41:

-When you ejected, the mission will fail.
Not entirely true. That depends on how the mission is modelled and what triggers success/failure. You may get the "Mission End" box... but you can say "No" to that and just wait on the ground until the rest of the flight gets home.

Note though that the stock campaign is modelled such that if your target is missed, then the mission will fail, even if the AI hits all their targets. But this is controllable by the mission maker.

/J
Oh right.. I forget that. But what if I ejected and I haven't tell my group to attack their targets. So I like a fix in AI so when I ejected and my wingman (2) take over the command and proceed to their primary targets then destroy the targets and mine's too, if they have weapons left to do the job. I am not sure this already modelled or can make this happen through the mission builder.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/25/04 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tatsu:
Fix the "melting" terrian graphics
What?
Quote:
The ability to dead stick a landing on the ground.
What?!

Please expand on those two above. \:\)
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Navy:
I would like to see the ability to record, store, edit, and playback missions like in IL-2.
Mentioned above as "Better ACMI/Playback". \:\)

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/25/04 02:19 AM

Quote:
This is turning into a pretty good thread, lets keep it up. Doc, I suggest you or someone else from TSH complile these into a list.
Roger. Agreed.

JStar, please continue to keep "updating" the list in your first post as you are doing.

We'll keep this thread going, and I've bookmarked its URL so that we will have the list in JStar's first post when needed. I have also started a thread regarding this at the TSH Private Forum.
Posted By: Big_Daddy

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/25/04 02:11 PM

Great post!

Feature Request:

-In flight dynamic weather( changing weather patterns)
-Ability for campaign builder to edit and add their own movies for campaigns
(format other than .wve)
-Airfields with headings other than 0-90-180-270
-Standby attitude reference indicator with azimuth, elevation deviation bars, water mark
and slip indicator.
-View weapons on all planes.
-Dual throttle control.
-realistic start up procedures ie: (apu startup to shut down)
-Cockpit lighting
-ejection handle in the cockpit (not that any of us use it!)
-active left and right consoles with click able switches.
-Smooth cockpit zooming.

All for now
BigDaddy>>>>>>>>>>>(out)
Posted By: Tatsu

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 01:01 AM

J-Star..

"Melting Terrian" maybe it's a mip mapping issue, but what I get is the same effect like F15 except not as bad. The textures on the terrain a sharper as they approach your aircraft. They appear blurry in the distance. So in essence I am looking for a terrian upgrade.

"Dead Stick" A lot of times I have lost power to the aircraft and I have tried to land it gear up on the ground. Perhaps I am carrying too much airspeed, but I have always crashed. Let me try to play around with it, maybe I'll retract my last request.

Semper Fi
Tatsu

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 08:35 AM

Quote:
J-Star..

"Melting Terrian" maybe it's a mip mapping issue, but what I get is the same effect like F15 except not as bad. The textures on the terrain a sharper as they approach your aircraft. They appear blurry in the distance. So in essence I am looking for a terrian upgrade.
That may be a matter that could be resolved by activating ansitropic filering.

Quote:
"Dead Stick" A lot of times I have lost power to the aircraft and I have tried to land it gear up on the ground. Perhaps I am carrying too much airspeed, but I have always crashed. Let me try to play around with it, maybe I'll retract my last request.
Hmm... I see what you mean... the possibility to perform emergency landings. And another thing:I don't know if this exists, but at least Draken had a last resort only back-up system to allow the gears to be lowered. It blew compressed air into the hydraulics to allow the pilot a few operations (like lowering the gear) in case of a total hydraulic failure.

Then again... landing on your belly is very likely to tear up the bottom of the plane and either cause a fire or otherwise render the plane inoperative.

/J
Posted By: Frodo 13

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 09:24 AM

*** Different parking arrangements on the carrier deck capability. It would be nice to land on the deck with aircraft near the tail.

*** The ability to pick a catapult to launch.

*** The ability to set the AI to do the pattern instead of landing and parking. It would make for a nice busy carrier deck and recovery patterns.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Julian Data:
*** Different parking arrangements on the carrier deck capability. It would be nice to land on the deck with aircraft near the tail.
Included above as the ablity to drive freely on the deck. \:\)

Quote:

*** The ability to pick a catapult to launch.
Uhm.. why? Ok, I agree that always getting the left waist catapult is a bit monotone. But you gotta do what flight ops tella ya, no? \:\)
Quote:
*** The ability to set the AI to do the pattern instead of landing and parking. It would make for a nice busy carrier deck and recovery patterns.
I'm afraid I don't understand. Please elaborate.

/J
Posted By: StealthSnake

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 11:47 AM

Hi there guys,
this looks like an awesome project which might someday become true! Good luck with that!

I'd like to suggest something for MP missions : the abilitiy to have clients join into the "mission planing" room at the same time as the host does.

At this momment, they can only enter it when the host pushes on the FLY button and data gets downloaded/uploaded, not before then.

It'd be great if the host and the clients can discuss a mission with the map right in front of them at the same time.

Cheers!
Stealthsnake
Posted By: Nef

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 11:48 AM

Hello JStar \:\)

I'll ask the french community and give you our wishes (of course if these aren't in your list) ;\)

And, thanks for this good idea

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthSnake:
I'd like to suggest something for MP missions : the abilitiy to have clients join into the "mission planing" room at the same time as the host does.
Argh!!! Why didn't I think of this?! I've been annoyed like hell about this! thanks for the heads up. \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nef:
I'll ask the french community and give you our wishes (of course if these aren't in your list) ;\)
We'll happilly await your suggestions. \:\)

By the way... I didn't even know there was a french JF-18 community. Where are you guys hiding out? \:\)

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 01:45 PM

Lol Hiding ? Nooooo \:D

try this :
I\'m the co-webmaster of this site
It's in french for the moment, but an english version will be available soon ;\)

our forum :
http://www.checksix-forums.com/forums/index.php?showforum=14

Don't hesitate to go there, you'll receive a warm welcome ;\) \:\)

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 04:18 PM

Small change :

The refuelling boom deployement should be visually "smoother"

Actually, if you press the "Q" key, the boom is instantly deployed without any sound, I would like a complete move of it, lasting at least 5-6 seconds with a deployement sound, a la EF-2000

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 04:35 PM

Quote:
- Animated refueling probe.
Déjà dit Sweep ;\) \:D
Posted By: Clark

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 05:04 PM

I think the list covers most things I would want enhanced, but I couldn't find this one:

- Enhancement on AI for friendly flights using Active Radar missiles. I just barely survived a campaign mission where I dodged four Phoenix missiles from crazy Tomcats.

/C
Posted By: _Frenchy

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 06:31 PM

i am french....and my pseudo in HL is frenchy...
every friday we fly with french team ..no prob you can join us..in 2 or 3 weeks we 'll begin a new campaign after the vahalla campaign.....even you dont speak french..we'll speak english!!!

yes J-star there is a little communauty in france..for F18

;\)

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
- Enhancement on AI for friendly flights using Active Radar missiles. I just barely survived a campaign mission where I dodged four Phoenix missiles from crazy Tomcats.
Oooh, I know the feeling.

/J
Posted By: Operator

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 06:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 96th_Wolf:
These are what I mean by fuzzy requests. :p

/J
I don't know how much more specific I can get with this. We all know F/a-18 sufferes from framerate problems, if possible at all it should be upgraded to take advantage of all our shiny graphics cards.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 08:07 PM

Quote:
I don't know how much more specific I can get with this. We all know F/a-18 sufferes from framerate problems, if possible at all it should be upgraded to take advantage of all our shiny graphics cards.
I myself am happy at framrates over 10 with this sime since - unlike first person shooters - framerate is not soething that adversly affects the game experience as much. I know others disagree and the worst framrate fetishists are not happy unless they have 50 FPS or more.

So... you can start by defining what you mean by "decent framerate". \:\)

/J
Posted By: Frodo 13

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/26/04 09:03 PM

quote:Originally posted by Julian Data:

I'm afraid I don't understand. Please elaborate.

As the AI lands "successfully" it parks. I rather have it keep doing TnGs for an amount of period specified.

As for the cat shots, I'd like to pick cat 2 while there are aircraft parked along cat 1. It's all about adding aicraft to the deck. Of course, if the wingspan of the aircraft is too big, then you can't launch on cat 2 since the wingspan would hit the aircraft.

Of course, I'd like to see the gfx engine updated for TnL, eBM, and pixel shader support.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/27/04 08:27 AM

Quote:
As the AI lands "successfully" it parks. I rather have it keep doing TnGs for an amount of period specified.
I see what you mean. I must note though that even today, AI can bolter... and does so, sometimes incessantly. ;\)
Quote:
As for the cat shots, I'd like to pick cat 2 while there are aircraft parked along cat 1. It's all about adding aicraft to the deck. Of course, if the wingspan of the aircraft is too big, then you can't launch on cat 2 since the wingspan would hit the aircraft.
I see your point.
Quote:
Of course, I'd like to see the gfx engine updated for TnL, eBM, and pixel shader support.
Got it. Just pondering on how to put that into writing. \:\)

/J
Posted By: CatsEyes

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/27/04 12:10 PM

Yes, I think graphical improvements are the key. If the BMS people could do to JF-18 what they've done to Falcon 4, it would be both a great game and a great-looking game.

I'm no expert, but I always thought (from experience and past threads at this forum) that the main FPS issue for JF-18 was the highly-detailed radar modelling. And that's CPU-intensive, I thought, rather than CPU or RAM-dependent.

I doubt there's much to be done about the FPS issue other than the gradual upgrading of people's computers!

Other than the A-A mode bug, that is.

As an aside, my video card had spasms yesterday, and I had to stick in the old pre-installed card, an ancient Radeon 7000. With AA off and AF to app pref, my system (P4 2.4, 384mb RAM) was returning FPS in the mid-30s, and the high 20s in A-A. Which suggests it's nothing whatsoever to do with graphics.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/27/04 02:16 PM

Ok J-Star here are the wishes of the french community (for the moment \:D )

- Improved FM for the AI, not only for the SuperHornet

- More MDI pages (see the NATOPS : for exemple the BIT page ...) or improvements.

- More buildings around the Air bases. AI Traffic like C-130 / C-17.

- AI aircraft should fold their wings after successfully land on the carrier

- Beaming is too "easy" ... Whan you've a SAM launch, simply put it on your 3/9 o'clock line and the missile loose the lock !!!

Sorry for my above average english \:\(

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/27/04 03:00 PM

Quote:
Ok J-Star here are the wishes of the french community (for the moment \:D )

- Improved FM for the AI, not only for the SuperHornet
Ok.

Quote:
- More MDI pages (see the NATOPS : for exemple the BIT page ...) or improvements.
Got a link to the NATOPS? (And there is a BIT page ;\) ).
Quote:
- More buildings around the Air bases.
I think we can expand that to "More buildings" in general... not just around bases but cities as well.
Quote:
- AI Traffic like C-130 / C-17.
Got it. However this is also mission specific.
Quote:
- AI aircraft should fold their wings after successfully land on the carrier
Don't they? Not even the F/A-18's?
Quote:
- Beaming is too "easy" ... Whan you've a SAM launch, simply put it on your 3/9 o'clock line and the missile loose the lock !!!
Well that depends on the SAM in question. But I agree that SA-10's are way too weak. Those SA-11's though... However with the new SAM tactics (see point above), SAMs should become very dangerous.

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/27/04 03:31 PM

Quote:
Got a link to the NATOPS? (And there is a BIT page ).
yes there is a bit page but in the sim you haven't ALL the pages check the NATOPS ;\)
And the bit page is an example ...

Quote:
Don't they? Not even the F/A-18's?
Sorry but the S-3, E-2C, F/A-18C, E/A-6B, Su-33, don't fold their wings ...

For the SAM, yes with the new tactics they'll become extremly dangerous \:\)
The SA-10 is really too weak

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/27/04 09:16 PM

I've put up the list on the TSH forums and made a rough estimate on the items in regards to importance and difficulty. CJ and Elf, it would be nice if you could take a look at it.

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/27/04 09:39 PM

Just saw the new updated list, very nice! then I thought, maybe we could substitute F-4B Phantoms for the F/A-18, move the time period back to 1965-72 and fly strike missions in 'NAM!...sorry, got carried away \:D

It's nice to dream.

Quote:
... However with the new SAM tactics (see point above), SAMs should become very dangerous.
J-Star, I was not sure what you were referring to, is it the request for updated SAM AI in the wish list?

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/28/04 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John_H:
Quote:
... However with the new SAM tactics (see point above), SAMs should become very dangerous.
J-Star, I was not sure what you were referring to, is it the request for updated SAM AI in the wish list?
Yup, that's it.

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/30/04 04:48 AM

How bout the movies? Any way to keep them from stuttering in XP? I searched the forum, but what was suggested didnt help me.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/30/04 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBucket:
How bout the movies? Any way to keep them from stuttering in XP? I searched the forum, but what was suggested didnt help me.
Stuttering movies in XP? Ok, that's a new one... will have to check it out.

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/30/04 01:45 PM

Another request for MP enhancement:

IP address saving or 'address book' function, since MANY folks on Broadband have static IP's or Dynamic IP's that don't change very often, or may only change in the last number. Be nice to have a list of these so it is easier to input without always typing in.

Doesn't have to be fancy. Look at Roger Wilco or BattleCOM..there is a dropdown box that saves previously entered IP's. Which can be brought back immediately. Granted this doesn't associate them with a person, but one can sort of remember even with this rudimentary way of doing it.

For example, Bones always gets the same first 3 octets, and even though it is a dialup dynamic IP, all I have to do in RW or BC is recall the old IP and change the last number and I am good to go.

Recluse

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/30/04 01:48 PM

Quote:
Another request for MP enhancement:

IP address saving or 'address book' function, since MANY folks on Broadband have static IP's or Dynamic IP's that don't change very often, or may only change in the last number. Be nice to have a list of these so it is easier to input without always typing in.

Doesn't have to be fancy. Look at Roger Wilco or BattleCOM..there is a dropdown box that saves previously entered IP's. Which can be brought back immediately. Granted this doesn't associate them with a person, but one can sort of remember even with this rudimentary way of doing it.

For example, Bones always gets the same first 3 octets, and even though it is a dialup dynamic IP, all I have to do in RW or BC is recall the old IP and change the last number and I am good to go.

Recluse
Ah, good one Recluse! And of course we need a lobby with chat. Perhaps even a voice chat lobby.

/J

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/30/04 08:55 PM

Quote:
Ah, good one Recluse! And of course we need a lobby with chat. Perhaps even a voice chat lobby.

/J
Oh for goodness sakes, WHY??????????????????
A good 'party line' where everyone can look at the map and BC/RW/other voice comms serves admirably...and of course there is Hyperlobby.. \:\)

\:\)

Recluse

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 02/28/04 03:43 PM

Just a friendly bump to keep the juices flowing!

Recluse
Posted By: M@verick

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 02/28/04 05:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
Oooh, I know the feeling.

/J
Don't blame them, they're frustrated...the SuperBug is taking over ;\) \:\( :p

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 02/29/04 02:59 AM

Quote:
I know others disagree and the worst framrate fetishists are not happy unless they have 50 FPS or more.

So... you can start by defining what you mean by "decent framerate". \:\)

/J
Strong wording aside, J-Star... :rolleyes:

I really doubt that you can enjoy a flight sim with FPS around 10, but it's your call.

A decent framerate? I guess you must've read countless articles about the human eye and how it processes images (motion blur, the human eye anatomy, the refresh rate of TVs, the frames-per-second on movie theatre, interlaced monitors, etc)- I know I have. Even though opinions may differ on this, I think that anything above 60 FPS is enough for us to perceive flight-sim motion as "fluid".

The human eye CAN indeed perceive the difference between 30 FPS and 60, 70 or 100 FPS. IIRC, the USAF performed some tests on its pilots in order to know if pilots could perceive small changes in in light. Pilots were able to detect afterimages and distinguish a/c projected on a screen at 1/220th of a second. A simple calculation will show you what that means.

IMO, anything in the range 40-70 FPS is good enough for flight sims.
Posted By: Fonzie01

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 02/29/04 03:00 AM

The flight model isn't too bad, actually, in this sim. just adjust your joystick sensativity.

What would be nice to have "fixed" are two inaccuracys, both deal with the HUD. The first is the simulator is using the Older software set as it's reference. The Velocity Vector in the jet does not just "float around." It is fixed in between the pitch ladder, and will only move up and down. There is a "ghost" vector that sticks out to the side that tells lateral drift from winds, losing an engine, etc. You can "cage" the VV, which causes the whole pitch ladder + the VV to float all over the HUD, but it can be HUD limited (start blinking) when you get in high xwind situations or big amounts of lateral movement.

Second, I would like to see a power carat. This is a new addition in the software in the jet. Basically, it is a little triangle that sits next to the VV and tells you if you are overpowered or underpowered for your current flight path. IE, power carat is above the VV, then the VV will begin to move up. if it is below the VV, it will move down, if it is lined up, then the VV will maintain it's current position (IE 3 degrees down when on the ball ;\) ). It's a nice gucci piece of gear.\

-Fonz

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 02/29/04 09:24 AM

Thanks for the input, Fonzie.

Everyone, please note that Fonzie knows whereof he speaks--he didn't say it, but I will: He's a real life Super Hornet pilot. I think he's the first real life Super Hornet pilot to visit us here (please feel free to correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong about that \:\) ). ;\) \:\)
Posted By: Bright_Sky

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 02/29/04 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 'Doc':
Everyone, please note that Fonzie knows whereof he speaks--he didn't say it, but I will: He's a real life Super Hornet pilot.
very glad to hear that !!!

To me, Super Hornet pilot is the super star!

\:\)
Posted By: flyd

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 02/29/04 08:36 PM

Quote:
I think he's the first real life Super Hornet pilot to visit us here (please feel free to correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong about that
Perhaps, but you can't forget our Superhornet WSO. \:\)

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 03/01/04 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FLYdude:
Quote:
I think he's the first real life Super Hornet pilot to visit us here (please feel free to correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong about that
Perhaps, but you can't forget our Superhornet WSO. \:\)
No, don't worry--I'd never forget him. In fact, he's the first and only Super Hornet (and Hornet and Tomcat) WSO to visit and stay with us here! \:\)

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 03/01/04 01:11 PM

Not sure how close you guys following game company news, but something fairly big happened last week.

EA is shutting down EA Austin. EA Austin is/was the former Origin Systems office.

All of the sound recording for F-15 and most of F/A-18 took place there (the "newscasters" from the F/A-18 cut scenes were recording in CA). A lot of the video production was down there as well.

BTW, Andy was the GM/Studio head of this office. I haven't talked to him since this was announced, so I don't know what his status is. I think it is pretty unlikely he would move from Austin however.

I'll try to find out more as the dust settles...

-CJ

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 03/01/04 11:57 PM

Thanks, CJ.

Please continue to keep us updated as you're doing. We really appreciate it.
Posted By: ricnunes

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 03/02/04 12:00 AM

Well most of the bugs/changes/new features that I wanted to see implemented in JF-18 were already mencioned but there are 2 more that don't seem to be reported yet and both of them are related with Landing Comunications/Procedures:

->The first is that the when the player asks permition to land on the Carrier the player is always directed to the Marshall Point even if there is NO air traffic landing on the carrier at that moment!
It would save time (and fuel) to just direct the player (or a friendly AI requesting a carrier landing) directly to the carrier landing pattern when there is no traffic in a carrier landing pattern that is. I think this would be more realistic, no?

->The second is also related to carrier landing procedures. When the player "declares" an emergency landing the carrier always directs the player to the nearest ground airfield or airbase but the problem is that there are many cases when the player doesn't have enough fuel (for example) to reach the nearest airbase (and in some cases hardly have enough to reach the carrier itself!) so making an emergency landing on the carrier is sometimes the only option left for the player and it would be usefull if the carrier in those cases directed the player towards the carrier instead of an airbase!
Ok, that the player in JF-18 can always land on the carrier without "authorization" but this is risky since there is always the risk of colliding with other friendly aircraft that are trying to land also on the carrier.
So it would be a great idea to allow the player to request an emergency landing on the carrier so that the carrier would divert away any other friendly aircraft that were also trying to land (the player would get maximum priority in those cases)!
Also ideally, the carrier in those cases if possible would place itself in a position where it would be easier for the player to make an aproach towards the carrier.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 03/02/04 07:19 AM

cool thread

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 09/03/04 03:12 PM

Tweak/fix the terrain textures and motion to give a better feeling of high speed/low altitude pucker factor.

v6,
boNes
Posted By: Dagman

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 09/04/04 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ricnunes:
Well most of the bugs/changes/new features that I wanted to see implemented in JF-18 were already mencioned but there are 2 more that don't seem to be reported yet and both of them are related with Landing Comunications/Procedures:

->The first is that the when the player asks permition to land on the Carrier the player is always directed to the Marshall Point even if there is NO air traffic landing on the carrier at that moment!
It would save time (and fuel) to just direct the player (or a friendly AI requesting a carrier landing) directly to the carrier landing pattern when there is no traffic in a carrier landing pattern that is. I think this would be more realistic, no?

->The second is also related to carrier landing procedures. When the player "declares" an emergency landing the carrier always directs the player to the nearest ground airfield or airbase but the problem is that there are many cases when the player doesn't have enough fuel (for example) to reach the nearest airbase (and in some cases hardly have enough to reach the carrier itself!) so making an emergency landing on the carrier is sometimes the only option left for the player and it would be usefull if the carrier in those cases directed the player towards the carrier instead of an airbase!
Ok, that the player in JF-18 can always land on the carrier without "authorization" but this is risky since there is always the risk of colliding with other friendly aircraft that are trying to land also on the carrier.
So it would be a great idea to allow the player to request an emergency landing on the carrier so that the carrier would divert away any other friendly aircraft that were also trying to land (the player would get maximum priority in those cases)!
Also ideally, the carrier in those cases if possible would place itself in a position where it would be easier for the player to make an aproach towards the carrier.
I agree whole-heartedly ! I've had to come straight in when I've had damage and did not have the fuel to the divert base. Not only is there a possiblilty of hitting another craft, you don't get the call from the LSO.
Posted By: iam

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 09/04/04 01:04 AM

I would like to have:

...vegetation and objects on terrain (trees, cities etc...

...a 2D cockpit "a la" Falcon 4. This would greatly enhance the FPS and would mean photorealistic cockpits, very readable as well.

...In-game joystick mapping.

...Updated water texture (LOMAC style).

...Enhance communication with the tower, such as when you call inbound. I really like the way its modelled in F4, where the tower guide you to the runway.

...Fix the landing gear animation (they stop just before they get in and then disapear).

...Add people on the deck. Even if they're static, like in MSFS2004/FlightDeck3
Posted By: virus

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 09/04/04 08:40 AM

1)Track Ir enchanched support
2)All keys added in order to build a working cockpit(ex ufc,bingo,csel and hdg etc. etc.)
3)Better aircraft models with weapons on them
4)Better graphic
5)New theathers and an improved campaign engine
6)Better Windows Xp compatibility

HI Virus
Posted By: Nicolaas

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 10/27/04 07:22 PM

Hello
Impresive, but a 2 d cockpit will be very nice as a solution for the Sparkling Water in XP.
Have to run the game under 98SE, and that is no problem at this moment, (dual boot) but there will be a day I can't use 98se anymore.
At the other hand, F/A 18 is still a very good sim and will be for the coming years. (imho that is)
Nicolaas

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 07/11/05 10:52 PM

Other thing that I want to change is the sunrise and sunset effects, b/c in the real life the dramatic colors is only on the clouds not the sky. And the most part of sky will remain bluish color during sunrise/sunset in real life. During sunset/rise, you actually can see the sun directly without hurting your eyes b/c there is not many light from the sun and during the high noon the light from the sun is very bright and hard to see the sun and objects around it e.g. aircrafts, clouds, etc. But in JF-18, there are kinda too much light from the sun during sunset/sunrise and at high noon, there are not enough light from the sun, you can still see the objects with the sun directly behind them b/c the sun is not bright enough.
Posted By: Joe

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 07/12/05 01:19 AM

Quote:
Wings of Gold training flights that walks you through a RAG syllabus, prepping you for the fleet.
Tatsu
I have a feeling you'll see something like that in a bit... \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by virus82:
2)All keys added in order to build a working cockpit(ex ufc,bingo,csel and hdg etc. etc.)
Hmmm, you might see that, too... \:D

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/04/07 06:15 PM

bump for Recluse. I found it. \:\)

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/04/07 06:39 PM

Cool Thanks!

FIX ENDURANCE calculations (TIME to 0, Time to BINGO etc..) in FPAS page. These values seem much lower than they should be with reference to the pure calculation of endurance at current burn rate from LBS REMAINING/LB/NM which seem more correct in practice.

Recluse
Posted By: sinner6

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 02:44 AM

How I would love to see this sim running well(as in- no compromises settings wise) under XP, even in stock form. To get rid of the gridlines would be my biggest wish. I bought F-18 the week it came out and still think it's the KING. This thread is exciting...
Posted By: Lobo_CAG50

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 09:29 AM

My wishlist:

- Adjustable collieHat-Panning-Speed (current is too slow)
- zoomable view from inside the cockpit
- MFD configurations saved per master mode like in JF15
- working standby instruments for F14 and A10 (horizon, variometer and other gauges)
- A working recon-pod (if it's realistic) with it's own HUD and MFD symbology
- A high resolution MPCD map, with roads/rivers and labels to be seen like in the mission builder or briefing map
- a more rigid autopilot in RALT mode (if it's realistic)
- enabling emergency, crash or belly landing on streets and roads
- better overall XP performance (alternate path, FAC etc.)

Wouldn't that be nice ;\) ?

\Lobo

Posted By: Timc

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 03:41 PM

It is a constant concern that my favorite flight sim, given new life by Team Super Hornet, will, with the advent of Vista and following OSes, become unworkable. I think we all would like a revamped and updated Hornet sim that handles Win XP and the new graphics cards. Win XP posed the problems you discussed, which have yet to be fully remedied, and now we have to be concerned about Vista.

I have owned Falcon 4 since it arrived on the scene, and, good as it is with Allied Force and of the other modified versions, I keep coming back to F/A-18 as my favorite. I am just amazed, that in its 8th year, JF-18 is being made better with the efforts of TSH and those of the community who still find interest in it. TSHv3.04 is a sign of even better things to come.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 04:24 PM

I'm just having a ball with TSHv3.04 and reading Frenchy's thread on the new ground object modifications. I have always been somewhat disappointed that JF-18 did not have the variety of ground objects that JF-15 had. For instance, a credible nuclear power plant target, especially for the missions in the Iran/Iraq theatre, was needed, among others. It looks like things are headed in that direction, although it will take 3.05 to make everything workable.

I have always been disappointed that the Iran/Iraq theatre map was not identical with that in JF-15.
The entrance to the Gulf is cut off, and some key targets exist in that area. It is also critical as the gate to the Gulf. Control of that bottle neck is very important, and it is a natural from a mission/campaign building perspective.

One of my favorite activities with JF-18 was mission building, including the editing of missions created by others to make them more to my liking, or to clean up the text. I know it is a fine balance to determine which of the aircraft performance mods or theatre building mods will get attention. To have a great mission builder without a realistically performing aircraft would be a contradiction, and to have a realistic performing aircraft set in a dead theatre environment would be likewise.

I have already begun flying test missions on the new Saudi Campaign. I have communicated to Ripcord that the first two missions were excellent designs with just the right amount of surprise events to deal with. The point is, JF-18 is more exciting to fly than when it first arrived on the scene.

Now, graphically, JF-18 does not have the latest and greatest eye-candy. Its graphics are credible, and I am not one who needs grapics that rival a photograph, not that that would not be nice. I will not dwell on that.

Obviously, access to the source code would be great. Who would not want to see some changes to the flight performance of the FA-18. I believe like many that it under performs, especially noticeable in AA combat. And who would not like to have specific models of the F-14 and FA-18C and E models, and others? I would love to fly enemy AC against the U.S. weapons to experience their limitations first hand. What a fog of war they must experience.

At this point, I think TSH is way ahead of most of us (well, ahead of me anyway)in that its members know what they can do and what they want to do to make the sim better. Regardless of what we want, and I'm glad to be asked,I am more than satisfied with the direction TSH has taken. I appreciate the efforts of Joe, Frenchy, et al., more than I can express. After a long day at the office, or a long week, its nice to be able to sink into electronic world and fly the Super Hornet in a campaign, single combat mission, or even in just a training mission --- and its nice to design a new mission or edit an existing one.

Timc

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Lobo_CAG50
My wishlist:

- Adjustable collieHat-Panning-Speed (current is too slow)
Time to get a TrackIR, my friend. \:\)

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Timc
It looks like things are headed in that direction, although it will take 3.05 to make everything workable.
I anticipate that 3.05 will be out quite soon. It's just a matter of learning how to use features that are already there, instead of testing new features. Frankly, if I had known how it all worked 3 weeks ago, all of that stuff would be fully implemented in 3.04. But I didn't know, and still don't, really. The sooner the community pokes around and explores these features, the sooner TSH can package them up nicely and release 3.05.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Timc

I have always been disappointed that the Iran/Iraq theatre map was not identical with that in JF-15.
The entrance to the Gulf is cut off, and some key targets exist in that area. It is also critical as the gate to the Gulf. Control of that bottle neck is very important, and it is a natural from a mission/campaign building perspective.

Timc

The problem was that the F/A-18 map area is SMALLER than that of F-15. In order to transfer the maps, one had to pretty much superimpose the footprint of the F/A-18 theater and CROP the F-15 map somewhere to make it fit. There could have been many ways to do it, and the current one was a compromise. I suppose it would have been technically feasible to provide several 'theatres' each having a slightly different area of the F-15 World but it didn't seem worthwhile at the time.

Recluse
Posted By: Ripcord

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 06:39 PM

Tim, I really appreciate your help on the missions testing. Got a lot of flying to do yet with that one!

TSH readily admits that we have the ability/knowledge base to a lot more things, just need more programmers. For instance we can do the FM -- just need another guy with a flare for that, with knowledge of assembly code. If you can think of somebody, let us know.

Joe can say more here on this, but if we're ever going to get this sim pushed forward, to really make it what we think we can be, then we need to continuously do recruiting. Turnover is just a fact of life in something like this. Guys burn out, and we need new guys to step in and run with projects. Won't beat the dead horse on that, but it needs to be said from time to time.

There was at some point some discussion within TSH about doing a new terrain that would start from the bottom left corner of the F-15 world, and would include the straits of Hormuz. Not sure whatever happened with that -- probably just nobody to run with it.

We were also told recently that there is a shared memory in this sim, but we don't know anything about it yet or how to access it. Imagine what that could mean.

For me, the sim is cool like it is and it only keeps getting better, but I think we need a couple new theatres -- maybe Korean peninsula or China/Taiwan, even good ol' mother Russia, only we bomb them from this side (the old breakaway Far Eastern Republic is reborn). TSH guys have done amazing things with this in terms of figuring out how the tiles work, but so far no ability to take new terrain data and build a converter.

Of course, the arrival of Vista is a question. I think this sim may not survive that, but I sure could be wrong. Has anybody really tested this sim on Vista yet? Probably that's better saved for another thread.

Ripcord

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 06:46 PM

Yep, in fact I've still got some screenshots lying around that demonstrate this rather well.

Iraq world in JF-15:

Iraq world in JF-18:

However, the next major TSH release might include a new portion of the JF-15 Iraq theater, including the Straights of Hormuz. It could also be the opposite side- include more of Syria, etc. It is a simple matter of changing the translation coordinates used by the TSHv2 program. There may have been no interest then (and certainly I think introducing one Iraq terrain set was plenty) but I think at this point it could be the site for a cool campaign storyline or two.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 04/05/07 09:19 PM

Hey, Recluse,

That mission stuff is basic and something I can do. Unfortunately, I have rather basic knowledge of computers. They are just a tool of my business, and I have, at most, rudimentary knowledge of what makes them go. I can manipulate a computer with instructions given by others. I might be able to find a person with technical knowledge who might participate. I make a lot of contacts, and I will see who I can appeal to, provided it is someone who will make a reliable commitment. My talents are of little, if any (probably no) use for what TSH needs most.

Tim
Posted By: tablefootie

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 02/24/09 05:25 PM

I'm not sure if my suggestions are already covered by more realistic weapons or AI or flight models but:

How about adding a radar to the EF2000? Right now they are the ultimate stealth fighters, no emissions or a radar signature.

Increasing gun damage, espacially 30mm. I think the PGU-28 is too lethal compared to other guns - I have survived over a dozen 23mm or 30mm before, but less than 10 PGU-28 rounds will take down most other aircraft. Unless this is infact realistic.

Also implementing Warfarefix changes (espacially the bunker busting JSOW-C and longer range Standard Missiles, not sure about the reduced ranges of A/A weapons though - seems unrealistically short :S) to the normal F/A-18 game.

Stopping escessive AI use of afterburner in general, more specifically stopping AI from going supersonic at low level (unless its a MiG-31).

Perhaps limiting the fuel on AI aircraft and AI behaviour when that happens (ie they RTB or go to tanker)?

Your flight's AI behaviour when recovering to a land airbase. If the flight is assigned a carrier thats where they go to land (like the redeploy to Yavr mission in the stock campaign), if not they land somewhere else (ie Bahrain International instead of al Isa, Kuwait International instead of al Jaber) or just circle somewhere indefinately. Full AI flights don't seem to have this problem, and if you get shot down the rest of your flight sometimes goes on to land at the correct base. Worst is when your flight tries to land at an enemy defended base. I think the fence settings have something to do with this.

AI not attacking primary ground target when commanded. This happens when your flight is given a seperate engage order (bandits or air defences) and then ordered to attack primary ground target. The flight often just flys towards the target and not drop bombs but continue to overfly the target until ordered otherwise or eventually drop their bombs. One way I have dealt with this is that I reform my flight at the previous waypoint and then attack again which usually works.

Midair and ground collisions for AI aircraft.

Crashing aircraft does (more) damage during impact for chain reactions among parked aircraft and sucide attacks.

Ground objects, like stationary tanks, SAM, AAA appearing (partially) underground. Eg only the missiles of an SA-11 are AGL or tracers coming from the ground. Only seen it in Iraq map though.
Posted By: Reticuli

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 01/09/10 08:04 PM

A working rudder.
Posted By: Marine1

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/23/11 08:41 PM

I don't know if this happens to anyone else BUT, pitch authority SUCKS!!! When I pull back on the stick I can't even black out because it pitches up VERY slowly making dog fighting suicidal! Is there a patch or am I missing something? I do remember reading about the lack of maneuvering when compared to the lagacey Hornet... BUT i don't think it is this bad?!?!?!
thx
Posted By: 12_Point

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/23/11 11:22 PM

Just a guess, but I'd say your joystick is not giving the full pitch range. Go to the TSH manager test controller tab and test your Y axis. Ive got a cougar thrustmaster and can pull 7.5 Gs and by pressing the Y key(G limiter override) I can pull 11Gs, more then enough to black out.
Posted By: Major Dragon

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/24/11 12:24 AM

I find that if I drink heavily just before firing up F18 I can often blackout! cheers
Posted By: 12_Point

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/24/11 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Major Dragon
I find that if I drink heavily just before firing up F18 I can often blackout! cheers

rofl

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/24/11 02:07 PM

Marine1, try moving all of your joystick sensitivity settings to a value of 100 in-game.
Posted By: Major Dragon

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/24/11 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe
try moving all of your joystick sensitivity settings to a value of 100 in-game.

Joe - will that work with The Wife too?

(sorry, I can't help it!)

chili
Posted By: UnderTheRadar

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/24/11 11:49 PM

Joe, how about you petition EA to sell us the source code? Set up a paypal acct and we contribute to it?

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/25/11 01:26 AM

UTR,

And who would work on it? Do you know C++? If you do I am all ears.
Posted By: iam73

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/25/11 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: UnderTheRadar
Joe, how about you petition EA to sell us the source code? Set up a paypal acct and we contribute to it?

Don't take this the wrong way but... You can't be serious... do you really think EA would actually accept to sell the source code?!?! They wouldn't even listen to the request!!!
It's not like they need the money and they don't have an history of being "nice" to their fans...

What you need is an inside contact or a former dev with an extra copy of the code on an old dusty CD laying around wink
By the way, Joe... I know some C++, VS6, VS08, VS2010 and I really think we need to exchange a couple emails... I'll PM you when I get back from my business trip...

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/25/11 05:53 PM

Thanks, iam, looking forward to the communication.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/25/11 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: iam73

Don't take this the wrong way but... You can't be serious... do you really think EA would actually accept to sell the source code?!?! They wouldn't even listen to the request!!!
It's not like they need the money and they don't have an history of being "nice" to their fans...

Why would they be so protective of 10+ year old obsolete code that is not going to make them any more money?

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/25/11 06:30 PM

UTR,

This is not that attitude that made EECH what it is today.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/25/11 06:30 PM

UTR,

This is not that attitude that made EECH what it is today.

Or Falcon

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/25/11 07:52 PM

UTR,

It was a serious question - do you know C++ or do you know someone who does that would help work on source code if it became available? My point is that this sim is quite old and I don't know if the interest would be there from those who know C++ even if we had the code sitting in our laps. There was no bad attitude intended (really, would you accuse me of a bad attitude toward JF-18? That's just silly).

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/25/11 08:08 PM

UTR,

It was a serious question - do you know C++ or do you know someone who does that would help work on source code if it became available. My point is that this sim is quite old and I don't know if the interest would be there from those who know C++ even if we had the code sitting in our laps. There was no bad attitude intended (really, would you accuse me of a bad attitude toward JF-18? That's just silly).

Not bad but mildly defeatist?

I do not program. I do not know anyone that programs. But I do believe this sim is LOVED far and wide and if there was an announcement that the source code was legally obtained, people would come in droves to improve it. As sited above, we have numerous examples of community involvement in making old games better. The same could certainly be done with JF-18. I could not do the work myself but, if given a chance, I would certainly help pay for the code if that was what it took.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/26/11 12:13 PM

Quote:
Not bad but mildly defeatist?

I do not program. I do not know anyone that programs. But I do believe this sim is LOVED far and wide and if there was an announcement that the source code was legally obtained, people would come in droves to improve it. As sited above, we have numerous examples of community involvement in making old games better. The same could certainly be done with JF-18. I could not do the work myself but, if given a chance, I would certainly help pay for the code if that was what it took.

Oh I agree, the interest is there among those of that actually appreciate the sim and the genre. But only a few of those have any C++ programming experience, and I mean a handful. And most of those have moved on, disappeared in a couple cases, and few remain. I don't know that a public announcement would change that. Of course, we cannot make this statement so it doesn't matter anyway.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/27/11 02:10 AM

I could not do the work myself but, if given a chance, I would certainly help pay for the code if that was what it took.
What if paying wasn't necessary. What if getting programmers to volunteer their time was the only obstacle to success...
Posted By: Rudel

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/27/11 02:19 AM

SIMO! Where are you!!!!!! biggrin

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/27/11 07:13 PM

I could not do the work myself but, if given a chance, I would certainly help pay for the code if that was what it took.

I would be a much better idea to gather money and pay the guys who would actually play in the code... if it was available... hahaha

Imagine all the spare time they would have to spend on this, their familly would suffer, espcially those with a newborn children wave2

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/27/11 10:00 PM

I would be a much better idea to gather money and pay the guys who would actually play in the code... if it was available... hahaha

Imagine all the spare time they would have to spend on this, their familly would suffer, espcially those with a newborn children wave2

Yeah well see that's the thing -- those that actually ARE programmers understand the huge extent of the undertaking, and they don't believe it can be done without the tools from EA. To introduce a 'pay for programming' model would not work as a charitable venture. To try it as a commercial venture might not work either, because of the assessment of many that the time and effort required might be more than just programming a new sim from scratch. However, that's just an opinion I have encountered in my discussions with others doing similar projects, and it might be nothing more than defeatist thinking as UTR has suggested.

Of course, all this assumes the code is (a) available and (b) obtained legally. Ain't going to find a whole lotta good programmers willing to dedicate a lot of time to this if one or both of those criteria are not true -- particurly if it turns into a commercial venture down the road like F4:Allied Force.

All I'm saying is we have a helluva lot more capability than we did before -- but we lack a lot of the tools.

Ripcord

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/27/11 10:06 PM

What you need is an inside contact or a former dev with an extra copy of the code on an old dusty CD laying around wink
By the way, Joe... I know some C++, VS6, VS08, VS2010 and I really think we need to exchange a couple emails... I'll PM you when I get back from my business trip...

IAM nailed it. Believe me, we tried this years ago. No response and there will not be a response from EA. Look we're talking about IP here, and any transfer of IP means some amount of legal work, which costs $$. That's real money they would have to spend TODAY. not money already invested years ago. The dollars involved with just drawing up the paperwork is arguably greater than the value of the SC itself. So it's a non-starter. Those guys in EA management would not have time to even discuss it -- hell their time is more valuable than the SC. I think given today's hardware the SC is really close to worthless.

It is nothing to do with being nice or not nice to fans. It is just a cost vs benefit calculation, plain and simple.

Remember that TSH is a not-for-profit organization that basically assumes a user has already purchased the sim somewhere, and we are not charging anything for our work. So they leave us alone.

Ripcord

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/28/11 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Ripcord

IAM nailed it. Believe me, we tried this years ago. No response and there will not be a response from EA. Look we're talking about IP here, and any transfer of IP means some amount of legal work, which costs $$. That's real money they would have to spend TODAY. not money already invested years ago. The dollars involved with just drawing up the paperwork is arguably greater than the value of the SC itself. So it's a non-starter. Those guys in EA management would not have time to even discuss it -- hell their time is more valuable than the SC. I think given today's hardware the SC is really close to worthless.

It is nothing to do with being nice or not nice to fans. It is just a cost vs benefit calculation, plain and simple.

Ripcord

Not saying you are wrong but, there is a precedent for this. Empire released the source code for EECH into the public domain. Not sure if they paid some astronomical fee to do this or maybe it is a lot less complicated than you think.

And Joe, who ever pays for community mods? Look at all that has been done to so many games for free throughout the history of this hobby? Falcon 4 alone probably accounts for a million hours of coding that no one ever paid for.

But hey, if that was what it took, give a little money to EA to get them to release the source code and give a little money to TSH to organize the improvements with that code, I would GLADLY pay for that.

Like you guys, simming is a PASSION for me. I buy sims I have no intention of playing to support the industry with my dollars. That certainly extends to a game I have enjoyed over a decade. I only paid $50 for Jane's F/A-18 but, it has provided me with literally thousands of hours of entertainment. I have NO problem giving a little more cash if it meant improvements and an extended life for it.

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/28/11 04:06 PM

Like you guys, simming is a PASSION for me. I buy sims I have no intention of playing to support the industry with my dollars. That certainly extends to a game I have enjoyed over a decade. I only paid $50 for Jane's F/A-18 but, it has provided me with literally thousands of hours of entertainment.

BINGO!

Passion is the word here!

I was being sarcastic above with my post regarding financial contribution to get mods done, really!!! That's why I added grins and smilies !!

I work on mods for the fun of it, not to get anything in return, other than users satisfaction! I actually spent much more time trying to hack and mod games than playing, in any gaming domain!
I created mod tools for NHL08 back then, unlocking hidden features and AI adjustment settings, did some minor TSH stuff such as the hi-res cockpit, worked on some FSX mods, VRS SUperbug external displays (pretty basic) etc...

And now that I think of it, I didn't even spent a 1/4 of my spare time enjoying the mods as I was looking for more modding projects nope

Anyways, I feel this conversation should be moved to a separate topic and the focus be kept on the F-18 wishlist!

On my end, I'd hope for a modernized user interface and a port to DX9/10, but it probably has been said already.

Anyways, if any of you guys know talented C++ developers out there, especially DX or 3D guys, please link them to Joe!!

Cheers all!

JANE'S NOT DEAD !!

Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list - 05/28/11 06:32 PM

I was being sarcastic above with my post regarding financial contribution to get mods done, really!!! That's why I added grins and smilies !!

The thing about money was in response to something Joe said but, now that I re-read it, I completely mis-read what he said LOL smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums