homepage

FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X

Posted By: L0stS0ul

FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/11/13 02:02 AM

I've been working on a new app for the past few weeks and I think it's really coming along nicely. There are not many GPS like apps for Android out there. I've been wanting one for my SimPit for some time so I finally decided to write my own. It's been a fun little project with some nice challenges. I could probably go on and on about it but videos and screenshots speak more than words.

I do hope to release it soon. I'm ironing out a few final bugs and I'm working with a graphic artist to finalize the graphics (I've done them all so far so it's not that pretty right now pilot ).

I hope there is some interest for something like this. I know I've been wanting something like this for some time.

Current Requirements:
Android 4.0+ 10 inch tablet
Windows 8, 7, vista, XP
Flight Simulator X

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/18/13 03:21 PM

It doesn't look like there is a lot of interest in an app like this. Kinda surprised to be honest.

This will likely be the last update unless I see some interest. Lately I've added a database of large airports which you can use as waypoints by clicking on them. You can also toggle airports visible or not. I've also changed up the ui a bit to make it easier to add features by going with a more "glass cockpit" like feel. I'm pretty happy with it at this point and it's getting pretty solid. I don't have anyone to help me test it though so I can't release it unless I get some help. If anyone is interested please pm me.

here's a couple of screen grabs of the latest

Posted By: DetCord

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/18/13 05:48 PM

Wow! Could this be a no-#%&*$# replacement for the default GPS in FSX?
Posted By: NineLives

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/18/13 10:54 PM

Only just seen this. That's very clever stuff. Very professional looking and you clearly know your stuff. I would certainly want to make use of this because the one thing that I have always wanted to know is what town and city I am over etc and this looks like it would do that even if I didn't use it for anything else.

I hope you get to release it and I can try it out.
Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/19/13 12:48 AM

I'd be interested if it worked on a Galaxy Note 2
Posted By: Jas452

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/19/13 11:23 AM

I would be very interested it looks great. Too many apps just for ipad which I can't afford so went with Android. Hope you release it.
Posted By: Heretic

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/19/13 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: L0stS0ul
It doesn't look like there is a lot of interest in an app like this. Kinda surprised to be honest.

I could turn this into an "Suck it, iSheep! Arndroid rules!"-Thread if it'd make you feel better.

Other than that sorry, no Android here (only Symbian).

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/21/13 07:40 PM

The first beta release has gone out to the beta tester. I still need one or two beta testers. If anyone is interested please PM me with your email address and the type of android tablet you will be testing with.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/23/13 04:47 PM

The beta team is now full. I will update as I get nearer to release. Thanks for your interest
Posted By: Decus22

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/24/13 08:25 PM

I been waiting for something like this to come out on android! Subscribed!

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/28/13 02:13 PM

Thought I would post a quick update

Beta Tests have been going really well. There has been no real issues with the networking code and so far the app has been quite stable for everyone testing. I've received a ton of great feedback and I've started implementing some of the features. I should be releasing a second beta to the testers in the next day or two. Here's a quick screenshot to show some of the changes smile

I moved the compass to overlay the map which helps with orientation and added a vertical speed gauge. I added an option for GA Airspeed indicator now and added the barber pole to both gauges. Improved the look of them as well. I tied into the FSX GPS system so the app will now track existing flight plans and plot information for current waypoint (i need to add the info display and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to display it). Also redid a lot of my own adhoc flightplan code and that's working much better now as well.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 03/28/13 09:12 PM

Excellent. When it's out make sure you contact our PC Pilot magazine as I am sure they would love to review it.

http://www.pcpilot.net/

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/01/13 03:30 AM

I would love to have them review it. I'll make sure to contact them. Thanks for the link

Here's a quick video on the latest FlightMap beta update. Lots of new features since the last video. Gps integration, new ad hoc routing, updated ui, overlays on map, vertical speed indicator, new launch ui, and many more. Hope to release it soon. Beta testers are having really good luck with it.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/08/13 12:22 AM

Tonight I’ve released the Release Candidate build to testers. If all goes well with testing over the next few days I hope to release the software to the play store on Wed. I’ve made a ton of performance improvements over the weekend as well as updated some graphics for the app. It’s really looking solid to me right now. I’m waiting to hear from my testers now. Exciting times

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/11/13 11:06 PM

Are we there yet? hahaha
Posted By: Spliff

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/12/13 02:13 AM

I'm anxiously waiting too!

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/12/13 05:46 PM

I'll be releasing the software this weekend. The Release Candidate testing has all gone well and I'm frantically trying to get the website and support materials completed. Life has gotten in the way of progress the last 2 days but I'll be working on it tonight and hopefully have everything released soon.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/12/13 07:43 PM

Thanks for the update L0stS0ul. Really looking forward to this. salute

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/15/13 03:44 AM

I've submitted the app to the Google Play store and I'm waiting for notification that it has been released. I've not yet released the trial version. I'm preparing that now and it should be available in the next day or 2. The server software has been released and information about it is available on my blog.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightconnect/

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/15/13 11:03 AM

It's now available on the play store. You can see the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightmap

Trial version is coming soon.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/15/13 11:26 PM

Great job L0stS0ul. Using it now and I really like it. clapping

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/15/13 11:46 PM

So happy it's working well for you. Any suggestions please pass them on. smile Thank you

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/17/13 03:43 AM

I just published the free 5 minute trial of FlightMap to the Play Store. It's already showing up in the US store so it should be soon for other locations. The direct link to it is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightmap.trial

The trial is fully functional and is tied to the server updates. Once everything is working it will get 5 minutes of server updates before the trial expires. You can re-open the trial as many times as you want.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/22/13 02:53 PM

I'm working really hard to get the first update out to my beta testers. Hopefully I'll have that done Wed or Thurs this week. The first update includes the following changes:
  • Updated graphics for the Airspeed Indicators. Also modified the GA indicator to be in 20 knot increments instead of 25 based off feedback from my testers.
  • Added a track options when in NAV or GPS mode. This allows you to toggle between the current heading up display and a north up display.
  • Improvements to the adhoc waypoint system. Now when you get within 1 nautical mile of an adhoc waypoint flightmap will automatically advance to the next waypoint like the GPS mode does.
  • non-active waypoints will have a gray line in adhoc mode and active waypoint will be blue as it is now.
  • Adding waypoint information for GPS and NAV display. The GPS mode will have more information than the NAV mode does. NAV will show distance to next waypoint. GPS mode will show magnetic bearing to waypoint, distance to waypoint, altitude of waypoint, and ETE for next waypoint.

This is a pretty significant update and I can't wait to get it into my testers hands. If all goes well this update will be released next week for those that have purchased.
Posted By: Legend

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/23/13 03:02 AM

Wanted to download but got the message it's for 10" tablets; any chance you can make a version for the Nexus7" as well?

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/23/13 03:11 PM

I don't own a 7 inch tablet to test with and I don't have the funds right now to purchase one. If I make enough with the 10 inch version to purchase a Nexus 7 then I will add support for it.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/23/13 03:14 PM

Here are a couple of screenshots showing new features from the upcoming version 1.6.

This first screen shows the new “TRK” mode. When this is enabled the map will be oriented north while the plane will be pointing in the direction of flight. The map is always oriented GPS NORTH or bearing 0. I had to take into account magnetic variation for the compass rose to read correctly and the plane to point in the correct direction. I That is why the compass is not reading 0.

You may also notice on the screen the distance to the waypoint is displayed. This is the NAV mode so I only have distance to display right now but all of the rest will be displayed when in GPS mode.

I’m also showing the new GA airspeed indicator cheers I think it looks pretty nice.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/23/13 10:13 PM

I don't own a 7 inch tablet to test with and I don't have the funds right now to purchase one. If I make enough with the 10 inch version to purchase a Nexus 7 then I will add support for it.

Does this mean it flat out only works for 10's, or would just have scaling issues on a 7?

Incredible work!
Posted By: malibu43

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/23/13 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Zamzow

Does this mean it flat out only works for 10's, or would just have scaling issues on a 7?

Incredible work!

Same question, but for my Android phone. biggrin

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/24/13 04:09 AM

I do not currently allow anything other than 10 inch tablets to install the software. I really just don't know what will happen if you were to install the software. I hope to earn enough from the 10 inch tablet sales to purchase a 7 inch tablet so I can add support for it. 7 inch tablet support is by far the most requested feature and I hope to do it. I wish I owned one but I don't yet smile

I do plan to do a phone version. There is just no way the current design would work for a phone. I have some ideas on what I want to do for a phone version but it has not been a priority. I will eventually create a phone version. I do not know when that will be but it will be after the 7 inch tablet version.

I do plan to package the 7 inch tablet version in with the current software. The phone version will likely be a much cheaper separate app. It will be just so radically different from the current code that I don't know how I would support all 3 in one app.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/25/13 01:24 PM

I just released a new version of FlightMap to my beta testers. Hopefully all goes well and by this time next week this version will be out on the Play store for all to use. Here are the enhancements this BETA version includes:

• Updated graphics for the Airspeed and altitude Indicators.
  • Modified the GA indicator to be in 20 knot increments
  • Added a track option when in NAV or GPS mode. This allows you to toggle between the current heading up display and a north up display.
  • Improvements to the adhoc waypoint system. Now when you get within 1 nautical mile of an adhoc waypoint flightmap will automatically advance to the next waypoint like the GPS mode does.
  • non-active waypoints will have a gray line in adhoc mode and active waypoint will be blue as it is now.
  • Added distance to waypoint in NAV mode
  • Added distance to waypoint, ETE, CTS, DTK, and WP Altitude to GPS mode.
  • Adjusted the compass rose in plane direction up mode. I was using a built in FSX magnetic direction variable but when I added track mode I noticed it was off a bit. I've now adjusted this so that it matches the north up mode. After some testing I believe it is far more accurate now than it was.
  • some other minor graphic updates

Here are a few screen grabs of the latest version with the GPS enhancments.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 04/30/13 05:28 PM

Testing of the new version has been going really well and I should be releasing the update in the next day or two. This will require an update to FlightConnect so I'm working out how best to inform existing users. I'm also working on getting some documentation written up on my blog to help people out. I'll post more updates as soon as it's released.

FlightMap Version 1.6 Released to the Play Store - 05/03/13 03:47 PM

I just released 1.6 to the play store. The new features in version 1.6:
  • Added TRK feature to NAV and GPS modes. This toggles the map display to north up or heading up.
  • Updated flight plan display in NAV and PLN modes. Active waypoint will be in blue and inactive waypoinys in gray
  • Added automatic switch to next waypoint in NAV mode when within 1 NM of the waypoint
  • Added distance to waypoint display to NAV mode
  • Updated GA Airspeed Indicator to be calibrated in 20 knot increments instead of 25.
  • Updated Airspeed Indicator and Altitude indicator graphics
  • Added next waypoint display info including ETE, Distance, Altitude, CTS, and DTK to GPS mode

This version requires an update to version 1.6 of FlightConnect. If you do not have the latest version you will be prompted to upgrade when you go to connect.

This is a really big update and provides a ton of great new functionality. I hope you all enjoy it.

Re: FlightMap Version 1.6 Released to the Play Store - 05/04/13 08:49 PM

I have found FlightMap on Google Play but I am confused about Flight Connect. What's that?

Re: FlightMap Version 1.6 Released to the Play Store - 05/04/13 09:31 PM

...I have Googled it and found nothing. As I have purchased the app now but can't use it can you please explain as it's very frustrating to now find out I may have to install further software I know nothing about....

Re: FlightMap Version 1.6 Released to the Play Store - 05/05/13 12:13 AM

I'm sorry this is confusing. I thought it was clear in the description of the application on the play store that a server component is required to run on the same machine as flight simulator. This is one of the reasons I offer the free version so people can test it out before purchasing. I'll see if there is more I can do to make this clear.

To use FlightMap you must download FlightConnect, install it on the same machine as flight simulator, then run the application when flight simulator is running. I leave it running on my machine and never shut it down. FlightConnect is a very small application with a very small memory footprint and no cpu burden that is used to connect to flight simulator, pull all of the parameters out, and send the information to FlightMap.

FlightConnect is FREE software and is available from my website.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightconnect/

My website is linked from the Play store as is my email address. For some reason I don't get notified right away when these forums are updated.

Re: FlightMap Version 1.6 Released to the Play Store - 05/05/13 08:18 AM

Eric was also good enough to message me and as I told him in my reply the problem is not his but the way the information is laid out on Play Store. The bit about the server is hidden and has to be uncovered to read it which I didn't!

So I am testing this out today and will report back. smile

Re: FlightMap Version 1.6 Released to the Play Store - 05/05/13 03:16 PM

Just a quick initial report from this mornings play.

BUY THIS APP !

It really is a superb piece of kit. It's so easy to use and flying over decent scenery like ORBX etc is now even better because you know the towns and cities you are flying over. There is no lag-what happens in FSX is appearing on your tablet and navigation is so much easier. Eric has done a superb job with this.

Re: FlightMap Version 1.6 Released to the Play Store - 05/05/13 04:23 PM

Thanks smile Really glad to hear it's up and working well for you. Enjoy!

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/11/13 03:10 AM

I just released a new beta to my beta testers. This version is focused mostly on stability and performance but there are a few features added in as well.

FlightConnect 1.7.0 Changes:

• Added active waypoint name to param list
  • Added detected server ip address to icon hover info display
  • Fixed some internationalization issues with number formats when machine is set to use , instead of . for double values

FlightMap 1.7 Changes:

• I’ve completely rewritten the networking code. This is a huge change. I did this to improve performance as well as make updating the code easier. I’ve moved a lot of the calculations that were being done on the UI thread into the networking thread. I’ve also optimized the heck out of all of the code.
  • Added active waypoint name to the display for gps waypoints. I’ve moved some things around and got rid of the course to steer from the display. I think it follows most GPS’s now.
  • I’ve added alert dialog boxes that provide more information now when FlightMap is unable to connect to FlightConnect.
  • I’ve really tried to get the compass rose to be visible on all of the display types. I’ve doubled the contrast on the non-satellite views and I’ve gone with a different colored compass rose for the satellite views. I think this really helps but please let me know what you all think!!!
  • Added 2 more commercial jets and a cessna 208 to the follow me plane selection

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/11/13 04:30 PM

I’ve just released an update to FlightConnect that fixes and issue with international characters. If you are having a problem where FlightMap connects and you get to the map but nothing ever updates then this version will fix that. This version also includes a change for the next version of FlightMap and some performance enhancements. FlightMap v1.7 is still in beta testing and will likely be released around the middle of next week.

Please check out my blog at http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/FlightConnect for more information.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/12/13 07:59 PM

I can't try it for a couple of weeks but will try it out and let you know when I can. smile

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/16/13 03:51 AM

I’ve just released the latest version of FlightMap to the Play Store. At the same time I also updated the trial version.

The main focus for this version was performance optimizations but I have added in a few new features as well. I've added the GPS waypoint ID to the display while taking away the course to steer. The waypoint ID was a frequent request. I've also added a few new follow aircraft to round out the jet population and improved the compass rose display so it is more visible on each of the map types. I've also added seconds to the ETE display

You can find these versions at the following locations:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightmap

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightmap.trial

The new version should be rolling out to all regions in the next 24 hours.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/19/13 07:10 PM

I'm working on adding documentation videos to the website to show how to install and run FlightMap. The first video talks about installing and running the FlightConnect server on your PC. Here's that video:

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/20/13 04:58 PM

I've put out a new feature overview video that is around 9 minutes long and describes the entire feature set of FlightMap and how to use each feature. I hope this video will help out anyone who is confused on how the product works.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/27/13 09:38 PM

Now had a chance to update and no problems here except after firing up FSX it told me it couldn't run because it needed the latest version installed on the pc as well so had to close it all and update the pc. If you mentioned that somewhere then I apologise but I didn't see it.

The compass is now much easier to see and the Airbus follow plane is a nice addition so thanks for doing it.

Personally I use it for following my flight after I have created a flight plan. It's good to see where I am and how far away from the destination etc. I tend not to use the GPS function much.

There really isn't anything else that you can add (unless it's possible to have a function that shows other AI around you?) and I would try and resist the temptation to keep tweaking it in case you bloat it! smile

Well done on this fantastic product. Did you contact PC Pilot yet?

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/28/13 03:51 PM

Glad to hear it's working well for you smile

When I released the last version it required an update to the server for some of the new functionality. The next version will probably require a server update as well. I'll make sure to be more specific on how to update the server. I did forget to mention that FlightMap needs to be closed and reopened after the server is updated.

I am going to continue to improve the app but I will always try to maintain easy of use and keep it from getting bloated. The next verison's main focus is on navigation information overlaid on the map that can be used for adhoc flightplans. I'm working to add all airports around your position, NDB's, and VOR's.

I did contact PC Pilot but I never heard back from them. I've not had much luck with any of the major sites yet.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/28/13 07:24 PM

That's a shame. Ok I will email PCP as well then and suggest they review it because I won't use FSX without it now. Fair enough they must have loads to review and it probably takes a while to work down the list so I hope they get around to it.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 05/29/13 03:30 PM

I do appreciate it smile It's awesome hearing how much people like the app.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/03/13 08:15 PM

If this feature is already available then sorry but I can't find it but is it possible to enable the CRS heading in the compass rose? I would find this extremely useful when approaching the airport to get the runway heading in relation to my direction. I have created what I mean below. Thanks.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/06/13 02:58 AM

I am currently in the process of trying to get more information out of FlightSimulator for VOR/NDB information to help with Adhoc flight plans and will look into this as well. I may not be able to provide that information without a flight plan loaded into flight simulator from what I've looked at already. I get a TON of information on the next waypoint that I can show when it's loaded in FSX but when doing adhoc I would have to have a really good database of airport runway headings for which to calculate the heading. I may be reading the request wrong however smile

I do appreciate the suggestion. I had to look up CRS Headings to find out what they are. I'm learning more about flight navigation through building this app then I would have ever imagined smile

I am working hard on the next version. The problem I have right now is FSX is providing me so much information I'm not sure how best to show it on the UI. I wish I could provide aviation maps as an option but that route proved to be WAY to expensive for my users to go down so trying to find an alternative that I can implement.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/06/13 10:02 AM

Yes the CRS is telling the ILS the direction from which to approach the runway and the compass setting it lies on. I was hoping it could just be a direct link between the CRS setting you input and your app but maybe it's not that simple.

Even with ILS landings and not ad-hoc flight plans it's useful to see your own heading in relation to the runway heading for the final intercept.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/18/13 09:52 PM

I'm going to look and see if it is as easy as checking a user set option for CRS and draw it on the display. I thought I'd have to calculate these things. While I love aviation I am not a pilot so a lot of these things are new to me so if I'm not understanding please be patient as I learn smile. FlightMap is really helping me learn many things about flight navigation but I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out.

I’m starting to nail down the features that will be in the next release. At this point these are known for sure:
  • Prepare3d support in FlightConnect. This will support all features of FlightMap
  • Added ETA to the adhoc flightplan mode
  • Display of the full GPS flightplan from FSX and P3D when the flightplan is loaded while FlightConnect is running.
  • Simplifications to the launch page

Things I’m working on that may not make it. We’ll see if I can get the performance level to where I need it to be:
  • VOR/NDB’s overlaid on the map
  • All airports FSX knows about in the current region overlaid on the map. This will replace the current airport database.

I have started work on the 7 inch tablet version but I do not yet have hardware in my hand to test against. Rumors are now suggesting a July release of the new Nexus 7 so I’ll be holding off on purchasing one until then. Hopefully by the time I have the hardware in hand I’ll have most of the layout, design, and feature set nailed down. Right now it’s looking like it’ll be such a departure from the 10 inch version that I’ll be doing a separate app. I’ll likely call it “FlightMap 7" and sell it for a dollar less. I may re-brand the current FlightMap to “FlightMap HD”

I hope to have some screenshots of the new features of FlightMap 1.8 soon.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/19/13 02:38 AM

Hi L0stS0ul, you already have one customer for the 7" version. But take your time, I'm scheduled to be a dad early August so I won't have much time for flightsimming!

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/19/13 03:53 AM

Congrats smile Hopefully I'll have it released before the little one arrives. I do really hope to have it out before then if all goes well.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/19/13 07:07 AM

Thanks for the continued support.

I am busy learning the Aerosoft A320 which is a completely different beast to the standard FSX fare and I have not yet tried it in conjunction with your app but you program the flight totally within the planes onboard computer itself and not in FSX so it will be interesting to see how that scans across to the app. Chances are it won't and will simply show the planes current position.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/19/13 02:16 PM

Please let me know if it works or not. I know a few people have used external flight planning software like RealityXP and they have been able to get it to work with FlightMap. They did have to make a configuration change to make sure the flight plan is plotted within the FSX gps system but once that change was made all worked fine. Hopefully it does just work smile

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/19/13 07:27 PM

Yep will do. I am suffering with FSX crashes at the moment sadly.

After spending half an hour preparing the plane for take off I get into the air and it locks up and crashes. I may have to reinstall everything.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 06/27/13 02:02 AM

I am extremely happy to announce that support for Prepar3D with FlightMap has been completed and I have just released a new version of FlightConnect that supports Lockheed Martin's simulator. All features of FlightMap are supported with this release. For more information head on over to my blog at: http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 07/01/13 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: NineLives
Yes the CRS is telling the ILS the direction from which to approach the runway and the compass setting it lies on. I was hoping it could just be a direct link between the CRS setting you input and your app but maybe it's not that simple.

Even with ILS landings and not ad-hoc flight plans it's useful to see your own heading in relation to the runway heading for the final intercept.

I am continuing to look into this. There is no CRS variable within the SDK but I do see that it's tied to the Horizontal situation indicator which I do have all of the info on (and there are a lot of variables for that gauge). I'm trying to figure out what all the variables mean and I'm learning about ILS approaches so hopefully once I figure all of this out I can figure out how best to implement this within FlightMap. helpful.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 07/02/13 07:53 PM

Just to let you know that with the Aerosoft A320 the app will only see the waypoints if you set a flight plan in FSX (but the plane won't follow it). If you only set up the flight on the planes own computer the app doesn't see them (unsurprisingly). This won't be possible to overcome. But it's not a problem as you can still flight follow on the app and it's still good for seeing where you are in relation to the approach etc.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 07/03/13 08:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I went and looked at their support forums and they sure have rewritten almost every system that no hardware addons are working with it without major configuration or changes in the way they signal. They say and SDK will be out to help make all addons work that don't already have work arounds but I don't think I'll be able to support it given everything they are doing. Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye out

- Eric

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 07/14/13 05:41 PM

I’m working hard to get the next FlightMap update out to my beta testers. I’m nearly done with the full GPS flight plan feature. I’ve also updated the application to work with 4×3 aspect ratio tablets like the HP TouchPad. Hopefully the beta will be out to my testers within the week and if all goes well released to the market next week.

More information is always available on my blog at
http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 07/26/13 03:02 AM

FlightMap version 1.9 has been release to the Play Store. It should be rolling out over the next 24 to 48 hours to everyone. This is a pretty big update with the following features:

- Full FSX and P3D flight plan support in GPS mode
- Course To Steer (CTS) added to GPS mode display
- Estimated time to waypoint (ETE) added to Adhoc flight plan mode (NAV mode)
- Improved the launch page for ease of use as well as other fixes for launching the app
- 10 inch 4×3 tablet support like the HP TouchPad. 4×3 tablets don’t get the Gauges

In 7 inch tablet news I have purchased a Nexus 7 and it is on it's way to me very soon. Version 2.0 will be dedicated to adding 7 inch tablet support.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 07/26/13 07:56 PM

Sounds good.

I have been busy re-installing Windows and FSX on dedicated SSDs and once it's all running right I will give the latest version a go. smile

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 07/26/13 08:01 PM

Good luck smile I just recently had to reinstall FSX as well due to corruption and it took a long while to get it back to how I like it. Thank goodness I had a backup of my fsx config outside the fsx directory. Sometimes a clean install is good tho. After years of playing around there was a lot of junk in my install

I'll be doing a new video soon to show how to use the full flight plan support. I've really tried to make it as easy and seemless as I could. The big thing to remember is make sure FlightConnect is running BEFORE loading the flight plan in FSX or Prepar3D.

FlightMap 2.0 Update. Now with 7 inch tablet screens !! - 08/02/13 10:11 PM

Here are some of the first images of FlightMap running on 7 inch tablets. I’ve been able to implement this all in the same application so 1 app will work for 7 inch tablets and above. It’s working really well but I think the buttons on the bottom are a little to small. I’m going to look at removing one or two of the buttons and that should give me some room to play with to make larger hit areas. Overall thought really nice. To maximize screen I did decide to remove the gauges. I’ll be doing a dedicated application just for the gauges in the next few months

Re: FlightMap 2.0 Update. Now with 7 inch tablet screens !! - 08/07/13 06:04 PM

I'm looking for some help translating the application. I'm looking to translate to russian, german, french, and spanish. The number of words are actually quite few so if anyone has a few moments and would like to help out please let me know. You can fill out the form on my blog here:

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/flightmap-looking-for-help-with-translations/

Re: FlightMap 2.0 Update. Now with 7 inch tablet screens !! - 08/09/13 08:45 PM

I've made a lot of progress on the 7 inch tablet support in FlightMap. So much so in fact that I just released the first beta to my current testers. I am looking for 2 more beta testers who have 7 inch tablets. I own the new nexus 7 (2013) so I need testers with other devices. If you are interested fill out the form on my blog.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/20...n-of-flightmap/

more info and pictures
http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/2013/08/09/flightmap-7-inch-tablet-support-update/

Re: FlightMap 2.0 Update. Now with 7 inch tablet screens !! - 08/10/13 09:06 PM

FlightMap 2.0 has been released to the Google Play Store with 7 inch tablet support. 7 inch tablet support is by far the most requested feature and I’m excited to release this version.

FlightMap is a second screen GPS style application that works with FSX and Prepar3D to plot your simulated location and flight plans on Google Maps.

The trial version will be updated within the next 2 weeks to the latest version as well. I’m so excited to be releasing this version and I really hope you all love it.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/

Re: FlightMap 2.0 Update. Now with 7 inch tablet screens !! - 08/14/13 06:01 AM

Thanks, L0stS0ul, bought it last Sunday for my 7" Nexus. Works perfectly although I didn't read the documentation yet.

Re: FlightMap 2.0 Update. Now with 7 inch tablet screens !! - 08/15/13 12:44 AM

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it's working well for you smile. I'll be doing a new video to show off the 7 inch tablet version soon. The last one was for the 10 inch tablet and there are some differences due to size restrictions.

Re: FlightMap 2.0 Update. Now with 7 inch tablet screens !! - 08/16/13 06:56 PM

I got all excited when PCPilot said they were doing a feature on tablet apps in this months edition but sadly no mention of this app. However, they say it will be a regular feature so hopefully it will get a deserved mention eventually.

Re: FlightMap 2.0 Update. Now with 7 inch tablet screens !! - 08/16/13 08:21 PM

That would be awesome to have it reviewed. That said, I've not had much luck getting reviewers from any site look at it. Not sure why that is. Maybe they only look at ios apps?

Re: FlightMap 2.0 Update. Now with 7 inch tablet screens !! - 08/19/13 07:21 PM

On a separate note, I've had a number of requests to build an app that is just the gauges from FlightMap and augment it with a bunch more. I have no idea if anyone would use something like that but I did start work on an app using a lot of the underlying code from FlightMap for my own simpit just to see how quick I could do it.

I was able to get an app up and running in an evening with 4 of the 6 main gauges. I'm calling it FlightGauges for now. I'm about to go in for some pretty major surgery and I'll be out of contact for at least 3 weeks so I have no clue when I'll work on this some more but if anyone has any thoughts on what they would like to see in an app like this I'd love to hear them.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/new-app-idea-flightgauges/

FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 08/25/13 05:10 PM

FlightMap 2.4 was just released to the Play store. The following are the main features for this version:

• I’ve completely rewritten the launch networking code to try and make the app more resilient. It will now detect the server ip address change for instance and when you try to connect to the selected ip and the server is not there it will offer up the discovered address as an option.
  • I’ve also added the version number of the application to the main display.
  • I had a couple of people offer to do translations for Spanish and French so those will be in the next version as well. Thank you so much to Jeff and Bernardo for helping out with those.
  • This version also fixes an alignment issue with the bottom button bar on Nook HD’s.
  • Finally this version updates the graphics on the direction indicator to be more readable in preparation for FlightGauge.

In FlightGauge news:

I've also made some progress on FlightGauge since the last update. I’m still not happy with the look of the ui but it is getting better. Most of the gauges are functional at this point and are working very smoothly. I do need to work out multiple client support in FlightConnect before I release this new app. To round out the gauges I’m thinking I’ll put electrical and fuel on the right side. There will be quite a bit more space on the 10 inch tablet version and I've not yet decided what I’ll be doing there. The app will launch with 7 and 10 inch tablet support. Below is a recent screenshot of FlightGauge. More information can be found at my blog http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com

Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 08/28/13 11:31 PM

Adding to the resource list.

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 08/29/13 08:02 PM

Flightmap is still working very well. I like the way the full flightplan is shown now and not just the next waypoint. It's great being able to see where you are in relation to a map and your journey.

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/16/13 02:05 PM

I am in need of beta testers for both FlightMap and FlightGauge. I'm looking for 7 inch tablet users and 10 inch tablet users. If you are interested please fill out the form on my blog here:

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/beta-testers-for-flightmap-and-flightgauge-needed/

Thanks so much.

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/20/13 02:50 PM

FlightMap 2.5 has been released with some nice updates for 7 inch tablets. I am still looking for Beta testers as well as Translators. Check my blog for more info

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/

Beta Testers Apply here:
http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/beta-testers-for-flightmap-and-flightgauge-needed/

Have some time to help with translations? Apply here. Thanks so much to those who have already helped.
http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/flightmap-looking-for-help-with-translations/
Posted By: Cold_Flying

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/20/13 10:46 PM

As my kids would say; "I am soooo buying that!"

Great job, LS. Really nice. thumbsup

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/20/13 11:02 PM

A question: how much, if any, bandwidth does this thing use?

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 04:46 AM

That's a really good question. The communication between FlightMap and FlightConnect is really light weight and fast but it does happen many times a second. Over wifi you are not going to notice it at all as we're talking about bits. The google maps part of the application is where the majority of the data is going to come from. I believe that the app will utilize the google maps cache on the machine but the download of the tiles is the largest use of bandwidth. I honestly don't know how much that is. One thing to note is that I don't currently allow the connection between FlightMap and FlightConnect to be over anything other than wifi.

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 01:21 PM

The google maps part of the application is where the majority of the data is going to come from. I believe that the app will utilize the google maps cache on the machine but the download of the tiles is the largest use of bandwidth.

That was my thought as well. If it's a couple of megs it's no big deal, but if an hour of flying starts to chew up a 100 megs or something like that, it might be worth knowing about.

Anyway, I'm going to buy your app this morning. Looking forward to some good flying fun. smile

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 01:29 PM

I will take some time today to benchmark using an area I don't generally fly and try to get a rough number. Google has really reduced Google maps bandwidth so it will be interesting to know what it is.

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 03:35 PM

Purchased!

Aw, and what a shame, it's raining all day today. I have nothing to do but stay home and fly. biggrin

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 05:24 PM

Thank you and I hope you enjoy the app. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

I just ran a 15 minute test in southern Ireland in a mooney flying at roughly 155 knots. I used the app as normal. I used it to build out a flight plan through southern Ireland to Dingle and then flew 15 minutes of the leg. I switched between the different map modes and flew most of it on the height map view which is the highest bandwidth at a medium zoom level so new tiles were coming in often.

FlightMap received about 18mb of data in that time. which would put it around 70mb an hour for usage on the higher end since I used the app for building out the flight plan as well. Depending on usage I'd probably say a safe range would be between 60-80mb per hour depending on usage. Almost all of that was from Google Maps. The communication between FlightMap and FlightConnect would be a little bit that could be removed. I have not measured how much data per 15 minutes that is. The communication between FlightConnect and FlightMap is all over local wifi so would not affect bandwidth usage. I'll see if I can figure out how to just test that bit.

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 06:00 PM

I ran a test with FlightGauge which polls for data just like FlightMap. It gets back just a little less data but I calculated that for an hour of usage the data between FlightConnect and FlightGauge is around 6mb. I'd guess FlightMap is a little more than that probably in the 10mb range. So you can cut around 10mb per hour off the numbers in my previous post as this 10mb would not affect internet bandwidth but would be local wifi bandwidth.

So based off my testing 1 hour of FlightMap usage would yield:
~10mb per hour local wifi bandwidth usage
~50-70mb per hour internet bandwidth usage

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 06:46 PM

Thank you and I hope you enjoy the app.

It's great! A very nice add-on. Tried a few short flights and I like it a lot. And the easy install & run you put together is five-star. Would like to see the gauges work on a 7" pad, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Thanks for the bandwidth usage info. 60 to 80MB an hour isn't a big deal, but it's enough so that the user should know about it.

Good luck with the project! smile

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 06:47 PM

Oh, you should post at the avsim.com forum. Big place full of FSX users. I'm sure they'd go nuts about this. smile

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Cold_Flying

It's great! A very nice add-on. Tried a few short flights and I like it a lot. And the easy install & run you put together is five-star. Would like to see the gauges work on a 7" pad, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Thanks for the bandwidth usage info. 60 to 80MB an hour isn't a big deal, but it's enough so that the user should know about it.

Good luck with the project! smile

I'm really glad to hear it's working smoothly for you. I tend to fly adhoc flight plans a lot. I jump in and choose someplace I've never seen before and then come up with a quick flightplan in the app. It's great for keeping bearing and finding things to go look at in the sim. If you utilize the built in FSX/P3D GPS flight plan the app, for me at least, turns into a completely different thing all together.

I've been experimenting with ways to try and fit one or two of the gauges in the smaller form factor and it really just does not work. It takes away to much from the main focus of the app which is the navigation. On the larger tablets I added the gauges originally because of to much space. I am working very hard to get the new application, FlightGauge, out to you all. While FlightMap only shows those 3 gauges and the fuel I'm working to have give FlightGauge all of the major gauges while also allowing for some selection and layout. We'll see how far I get but I'm hoping that it will knock everyone's socks off.

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/21/13 10:30 PM

Maybe a "button" that lets the user go back and forth between gauges and map - or to pop up the gauges over the map - for the 7" pads. Time to land, don't need the map, hit the button and get the gauges.

Though I'm sure it was easier for me to type that out than it would be for you to build it. smile

Looking forward to your progress.

Re: FlightMap 2.4 Released. Improved 7 inch tablet support and French and Spanish translations - 09/23/13 06:20 PM

That is an interesting idea. I'll have to look into how that might work.

Thanks

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 09/27/13 06:15 PM

It's been a really popular request and I've been working on adding the gauges to the 7 inch tablet version of FlightMap and it's coming along really well. I think I've figured out a really good way to do it and after doing a few flights I'm really pleased with how it's coming along. It's still really preliminary but I thought I would share some info and screenshots. Check out my blog for all the screens and stuff

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/20...7-inch-tablets/

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 09/27/13 07:31 PM

A splendid idea. biggrin

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 09/28/13 07:56 PM

What about if the whole map slid downwards revealing the guages when needed. That way you could still have the plane and bearing on screen and the guages too and when not needed you can just slide the map and guages back up. Is that possible?

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 09/29/13 08:19 PM

That's kinda how it's working only the map is not sliding down as well. Only the gauges come down. In use it has not bothered me as I've been sliding the gauges down when I'm about to land or take off or when I want to see one of the gauges. I don't tend to keep them on the screen when I'm using the map. Once the beta gets into the hands of my testers I'll ask them what they think. Seeing a screen shot doesn't do the feature justice. I also need to do a feature video for the 7 inch tablet version so once this gets closer I'll have that as well. I'm hoping this new release will go to beta next week and released in 2 weeks.

Re: FlightMap - Android Google Map Tracking with Flight Simulator X - 10/04/13 02:22 PM

I'm still working on finalizing the new Gauge drop down. My beta testers don't like how much space it eats up when it is down so I've been playing with different ideas to resolve it like sliding the map down, using transparencies, tilting the map, etc. None of the changes worked very well due to such a small amount of area for the map view when the gauges are visible. One of my beta testers has a really good idea that I'm going to try tho. Will see how that works out. Over all the beta tests are going really well and as soon as I work out the design for the gauge drop down I should be releasing the update.

The next release is a huge release from a bug fix and device support standpoint. I have completely rewritten all of the networking code from the launch page. I finally have it a way that I like and it should be much more user friendly. I have also completely redone every single screen layout that FlightMap supports. This was a huge undertaking and is taking a while to test but this change will make FlightMap far more resilient to custom roms and different device hardware. It really is amazing how many configurations there are out there for android tablets.

FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 10/17/13 01:46 PM

FlightMap 2.6 has been released with Gauge support for smaller tablets. Just pull down or tap the top of the screen to show/hide them. This version also includes much better graphics and layouts for all tablet sizes. It was a complete rewrite of the layout code. There are also improvements to the FSX/P3D flight plan support for Approach vectors as well as 10 more airplanes to choose from for a total of 28. Lots of great changes in this version. I hope you all enjoy it.

More information can be found on my website
http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightmap/

and FlightMap can be found on the Play Store here

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 10/18/13 09:45 PM

There were some reports of FlightMap crashing with the latest release version if the "gps" button is selected when FlightConnect does not have the complete flight plan from the simulator. This can happen if FlightConnect is not running when the flight plan is loaded. This issue is now fixed. If users want to see the full flight plan mapped in FlightMap, FlightConnect must be running when the flight plan is loaded in the simulator. FlightConnect is written to function as a service so it can remain running at all times. It uses very little memory.

I had already started work on new features when this issue came up. Because of that a new feature did get released with this update. FlightMap now no longer requires the user to select between GA or regular Air Speed Indicators. FlightMap will automatically select the best indicator based on the aircraft that is loaded in the simulator. Because of this I have added a number of new air speed gauges. These include 100, 200, 360, 450, 540, and 900 knot variants. FlightMap will select the best one so the selection on the launch screen has been removed.

FlightMap is available for purchase on the Android Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightmap
Posted By: Dondy

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 10/28/13 11:42 AM

I just wanted to buy your FlightMapp add but sadly it says that it isn't compatible with my ODYS XELIO 7" tablet.
Did I miss some restrictions that prevent my from using your app on my tablet?

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 10/28/13 01:18 PM

It looks like that tablet does not come with the Google Play store by default. It comes with some other market application. FlightMap is only available from the Play Store and the Google application suite is required as I use those API's. I did find a tutorial online that shows how to get the Google Play Store on that tablet.

http://rodmc.com/?p=544

Once you have the play store installed, my guess is that you will need to download google maps before FlightMap will function. It should work though.

EDIT: It looks like the link to the play store is dead on that page. I did find another along with a video on how to install play on that tablet.

Here is the play store apk
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877489999688

and here is the video on how to install it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEBhfnfXgA

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 10/28/13 03:58 PM

Thank you very much! Will give that a try smile

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 10/29/13 03:14 PM

Please let me know if you get it working on that tablet. Once you get the play store on there and install google maps I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I would try the demo version first to make sure all is good.

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 10/30/13 07:07 AM

Sorry but it isn't working.

I have the Google Play Store now on my Tablet and also installed google maps. After that I rebooted the tablet but still can't find Flightmap in the google play store. Only app which it is finding is "i-map viewer for android" frown

When I go to the google play store via PC I can find your app but I can't download it because it still says that I haven't got any compatible system in my network.

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 10/30/13 01:18 PM

I'm sorry it didn't work. It looks like the tablet is not configured properly for access to the google play store which isn't a huge shock. It is not "describing" itself as a tablet. It looks like it's telling the play store it is a phone which is why FlightMap is not showing up as I require 7 inch tablets or larger. Usually, this can be fixed by modifying the build.prop for the android system to correctly identify as a tablet but now we're getting pretty advanced in android tweaking. There may be some information available out there if you google it but that tablet does not seem to be very popular. These types of tweaks are system level so require root access which would be the first step. Because root is required I would not recommend trying to get it to work unless you are quite good with linux systems. Sorry

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 10/30/13 07:57 PM

I am really excited to be close to release of FlightGauge. The 7 inch tablet version has just entered beta testing and I'm currently working on the larger tablet layouts. I'm hoping to release it within the next month or so. FlightGauge is a real time second screen instrumentation view that works with Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D. FlightGauge supports 7, 8, and 10 inch tablets running Android 4.0+. I'm really interested to hear what people think of it and what other options they would like to see.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/category/software/flightgauge/

The first version of FlightGauge is designed for single and dual engine GA aircraft and supports the following indicators:
- Automatic Airspeed Indicator Selection for: 100, 200, 360, 450, 540, 900 knots
- Artificial Horizon Indicator
- Altitude Indicator
- Turn and Bank Indicator
- Heading Indicator
- Vertical speed Indicator
- Left/Right Fuel Indicators
- Manifold Pressure Indicator
- Fuel Flow Indicator
- Oil Temperature Indicator
- Oil Pressure Indicator
- Suction Pressure Indicator
- Electrical Amp Indicator
- Prop RPM Indicator

I'm going to limit the first version to GA prop aircraft and will hopefully, if there is interest in the app, be able to expand it to support glass cockpit options and stuff like that. I've got tons of ideas on where this app could go but I gotta start somewhere smile

I have not determined what the price will be for FlightGauge but, like FlightMap, I will be releasing a free 5 minute trial version.

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 11/01/13 10:44 AM

Glad to see you're humming along with your app plans. smile

So the flight gauge app is a larger/better version of the existing gauges available on the flight map app?

Will the two apps be able to run at the same time, and the user able to go back and forth between them?

Edit: not sure how much interest there would be for it, but what about an app that allows you to open a second screen on the tablet, like when you hit CTRL+L (I think) to create a smaller PiP screen for an outside view or whatever view you like. To have that on a tablet might be interesting.

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 11/01/13 01:40 PM

FlightGauge takes the 3 gauge idea that I created for FlightMap and expands it out to include the 6 major gauges as well as the engine gauges. My ultimate goal is to make the gauges themeable but that will take a while. After the first version is out I do want to create other layout options. A glass cockpit for jets seems like a logical next step after the GA is done. In the short term I do hope to have alternate graphic options for some of the main gauges.

Both apps are able to be run at the same time. I have my simpit configured now to have the 7 inch tablet right in front of me with FlightGauge running and then my 10 inch tablet off to the side with FlightMap running. It works really well. You can also have them running on the same tablet and switch back and forth between them using the android multitasking. That also works really well. My ultimate goal is to have a suite of applications that can be used to fill out a simpit as that is what I have smile

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 11/07/13 05:48 PM

I've added a poll to my blog asking users what feature they are most interested in seeing in FlightMap. I'm very interested in feedback so if you all could take a moment to vote that would be excellent.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/20...-interested-in/

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 11/13/13 02:12 PM

Thanks to everyone that has voted in the FlightMap feature poll. Right now a complete flight plan display overlay is the top vote getter. I'll be closing the poll in a few days so if you have not voted please do so soon.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/20...-interested-in/

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 01/20/14 09:14 PM

I have just uploaded a video to show off FlightGauge in action. FlightGauge is a cockpit panel replacement for almost any of your Flight Simulator aircraft. FlightGauge works on Android 4.0+ tablets between 7 and 10 inches and is designed to work with Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Prepar3D.

To keep up to date follow my blog at http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/

Posted By: specialksl

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 01/21/14 05:21 PM

I went to the google store to download this and can't find it. I an using a 7" Azpen tablet. I saw in a previous post that I need to tell the store I am using a tablet and not a phone but I don't see how to do this. How can I do this?

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 01/21/14 06:10 PM

try clicking this link to open google play directly to FlightMap

FlightMap on Google Play

I don't know anything about that tablet but it should work assuming the tablet is telling google play it is a tablet. The only way to change that is to gain root access to the tablet and change the build.prop file.
Posted By: specialksl

Re: FlightMap 2.6 Released with Gauges for 7 inch tablets - 01/23/14 06:41 PM

try clicking this link to open google play directly to FlightMap

FlightMap on Google Play

I don't know anything about that tablet but it should work assuming the tablet is telling google play it is a tablet. The only way to change that is to gain root access to the tablet and change the build.prop file.

That worked but it doesn't see that I am using a tablet and tells me it isn't compatible. I am using a Azpen tablet I bought for $40.00.

FlightGauge Released to the Play Store - 01/26/14 11:48 PM

I am very pleased to announce that FlightGauge has been released to the Google Play Store. FlightGauge is a second screen cockpit panel replacement for Flight Simulator aircraft. FlightGauge is designed for Android 4.0+ tablets works with Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Prepar3D. There is a free 5 minute trial version just like FlightMap. More information is available here:

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/flightgauge-released-to-the-play-store/

Here's the link to the full version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightgauge

and to the trial
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightgauge.trial

Re: FlightGauge Released to the Play Store - 02/17/14 04:24 AM

FlightMap 2.7 for Android has been released to the Google Play Store. This version includes many new features requested by you all such as Regional Airport, NDB, and VOR navigation aids; ASI gauges for 240 and 280 knots; updated direction indicator graphics with an autopilot heading bug; and many more.

FlightMap is available on the Play Store here:

More information on this release can be found at the product page here:
http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightmap/

Re: FlightGauge Released to the Play Store - 02/18/14 08:24 PM

Thanks for the update smile

I have found a problem on my 10" tablet.

When in standard map mode (diagram not satellite etc) when I press DATA or MAP the black pop up only covers part of the options like the top 3. The bottom options fall outside the black pop up and are white text over a white/light background making them unreadable.

If you are not sure what I mean I can take a photo.

Re: FlightGauge Released to the Play Store - 02/18/14 09:12 PM

What tablet is it?

Could you take a screenshot by pressing volume down and power at the same time? You can email it to me at ebanker@vineripeconsulting.com

I can't say that I've seen that problem. I'm wondering if somehow the fonts got messed up on your tablet.

Re: FlightGauge Released to the Play Store - 02/18/14 10:39 PM

Motorola Xoom running 4.0.4

Thanks. I will find a way of getting a pic to you smile

Re: FlightGauge Released to the Play Store - 02/26/14 03:01 PM

Would you like to try out new versions of FlightMap and FlightGauge and help determine what features get into the software? I value my beta testers highly and I'm looking for 5 more people to help with testing the apps. All I ask is that you install and use the software when I release a beta build and provide feedback. If you are interested in helping fill out the form on my site here:

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/beta-testers-wanted/

Re: FlightGauge Released to the Play Store - 04/15/14 01:33 AM

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of the release of FlightMap. I really want to say thank you to all of you for the support over the last year. It has really helped me make FlightMap what it is today and has really helped teach me so much about aviation that I had no idea I did not know. I am very thankful. I have written up a little retrospective on my blog if you care to read it.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/one-year-of-flightmap/

Thank you

Eric

Re: FlightGauge Released to the Play Store - 06/06/14 06:50 PM

A few days ago I released updates to FlightMap and FlightGauge. There were no major features in either other than bugs fixes, performance improvements, and better compatibility with really cheap tablets. I believe I fixed the font issue that some people were having with the new menu overlays as well. Make sure to check the play store for updates.

I'm actively working on the next major feature versions for both applications. FlightMap will be getting a waypoint list for the GPS and Adhoc modes and I'm looking to see if I can tie into the built in GPS to control it some. FlightGauge will be getting interactive settings to the existing gauges and an option to switch out the ADF gauge for Nav2 gauge.

Any other feature suggestions please send them on.

- Eric

FlightMap and FlightGauge with new Steam version of FSX - 12/19/14 02:39 AM

The Steam version of FSX was released today and I'm pleased to say that FlightConnect, the application that FlightMap and FlightGauge rely on for simulator data, fully supports the Steam version of FSX right out of the box without any modification or patches. I purchased and installed the Steam version and tested all of the functionality of the apps and everything looks to be working great.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums