homepage

12 collimated mirrors, beamsplitters in cockpit simulators SOLD

Posted By: VRFan

12 collimated mirrors, beamsplitters in cockpit simulators SOLD - 06/29/16 06:38 PM

A defunct company started by Tim Disney had an offshoot of gaming cockpits. Using high-grade collimated mirrors and beamsplitters it provide gamers the opportunity to multi-play in a enclosed cockpit and pilot a virtual craft in networked combat with other players. The Tesla II cockpits, are fully-enclosed, military-style simulators that feature seven screens, over 90 control systems, and a 12-speaker surround sound audio system.
A full unit weighs around 400 lb, includes a sliding door for complete user isolation. Approx. 4 feet wide, 7.5 feet long and 7 feet high. Each contains an isolation transformer for AC isolation, and an Alienware server.
The video display resides on top facing down into the colluminating mirror for the beam-splitter. The shape of the cockpit is rounded for incredible acoustical effect and isolation from the outside.
All but the main virtual reality display are multifunctional (buttons). On each side of the seat, a flight joystick and a throttle. Two foot pedals.
These are well used as none have been manufactured for well over 15 years.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nine full units plus two units with some parts missing and one part stripped unit. All 12 have the collimated mirrors and beamsplitters with door. In store sales, no shipping included.
There were earlier versions of the cockpits without mirrors in the 1990's. These were originally installed with Windows 2000. Yes, these are commonly associated with the MechWarrior 4 (Released in 2002).
The MFD's are bolted in from the front. The mirrors are accessible by a large panel next to the sliding door. It has a few bolts to remove the panel for cleaning. On the front, there is a cabinet that opens front and back for the Computer, audio amplifier, DC power supplies and controller.
These were built to last. Of the approximate 110 original, around 40 are running and even taken to sci-fi conventions around the country. More and more, these end up in private homes that have bowling alleys, theaters, and arcades.
As someone with simulator experience, these mirrors would only be useful for single pilot sims. Larger 2 pilot sims require a different style to prevent parallax between pilots.

UPDATE: Forgot all about this - these items were on e-Bay - the staff use to call me about the record number of inquiries and such. I will have to look it up, but it climbed to surpass 16K inquires. Tons of IM from around the globe.
In retrospect, there were offers, threats, pleadings (please donate them to our group), discussions, visits,
For those of you suspecting they were trouble - there is a group at a science fiction and such fair. They command something like $8.00 for each 6 minutes. New player in each one every 10 minutes.
That is 6X$8 ($48 per pod per hour) times 10 or around $480 per hour times 12 hours a day times a 7 day event.
Posted By: Master

Re: 12 collimated mirrors, beamsplitters in cockpit simulators - 06/29/16 07:14 PM

They go a long way out of their way to not mention it is mechwarrior cockpits lol.

Those things are old too, from the early 90s if I remember correctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech_Centers

man, that brings back memories. If you were going to buy these you would need at least 4 of them to really have a party. I assume these are modded from the original BattleTech: Firestorm and Red Planet kits?
Posted By: NamelessPFG

Re: 12 collimated mirrors, beamsplitters in cockpit simulators - 06/29/16 08:19 PM

Those are Virtual World Tesla cockpits! I've been itching to get in one of those again for years since the downtown D&B in Georgia got rid of theirs; now I can't even find any along the East Coast. Taking a plane ticket out of state just to play in these things is impractical, to put it lightly!

Only problem is, these are Tesla IIs with Battletech: Firestorm (read: MechWarrior 4 in an arcade cockpit). I actually yearn of owning the original Tesla pits with Battletech 4.x and Red Planet, since that version has some features you don't see in the PC MechWarrior titles that take advantage of the MFDs, like coolant loop and generator management. (On the flip side, you get older graphics and no jump jets whatsoever.)

Heck, when you took a particularly nasty hit, the MFDs would actually drop their vertical hold for a bit and spaz out for a sec, real immersive stuff.

That and I really wanted to play Red Planet at some point, but every time I found those Virtual World pods in an arcade, it was all Battletech, all the time.

I hear they're a total PITA to maintain these days, though - not just the fact that they haven't been made in over 15 years, but also because they're quite cluttered inside.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: 12 collimated mirrors, beamsplitters in cockpit simulators - 06/29/16 08:19 PM

Yeah, 2nd and 3rd pic shows the mech outline smile I would've killed to get in one of these back in the day.

Seller did not mention asking price and item location. Also, seller's first post.

Can anyone familiar with these mirrors/splitters confirm how useful these are for today's sims?

Re: 12 collimated mirrors, beamsplitters in cockpit simulators - 06/29/16 11:25 PM

re: Can anyone familiar with these mirrors/splitters confirm how useful these are for today's sims?
Please share familiar info so I can help answer.
The mirror are not as large as the new 42" mil-std that were just introduced.
Back in the day, Tim Disney envisioned many virtual reality centers.
The design for the placement of adults is superb.
Kids at birthday parties required a booster seat so they be within the optical viewing range.
Your right, I am new here. I haven't worked on a military grade sim for about 7 years now.
While visiting sites, it seems that many are now content to just use a big screen or projector.
The mirror and beamsplitter provide a different effect than a panel.
Posted By: K6_Scorpion

Re: 12 collimated mirrors, beamsplitters in cockpit simulators - 07/01/16 09:11 AM

Price and location?

Re: 12 collimated mirrors, beamsplitters in cockpit simulators - 04/23/19 07:21 PM

Forgot about this. The posting on e-Bay set some kind of record. It climbed to over 16K views - questions were overwhelming. People showed up with semi-truck.
OMG it brought all the love, hate and envy of the gamers.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums