homepage

TripleTriplane video (WIP)

Posted By: FlyRetired

TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 03/31/08 11:22 PM

Having seen some recent KOTS terrain, here's a short flying video.

(note the in-cockpit pilot animation and imagine the possibilities)

Also available for viewing on ClipWings:

http://www.clipwings.com/index.php?command=show_video&video_id=109
Posted By: killdevil

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 12:12 AM

Keep'em coming.
Posted By: Dantes

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 01:01 AM

Oh that is sweet.

The pilot gestures at the beginning and the shadows being cast from one plane on another were the highlights for me.

Being able to see the blip smoke should prove interesting in assessing one's combatant's actions and intentions.

S!
Posted By: SYN_Speck

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 05:55 AM

Holy cow, looks great! Thanks for the update!
Posted By: Laser

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 06:57 AM

Is that multiplayer? (*****k comes from 'network delay' ?); if not, some of the planes are AI flown?

Looks great!

US95 Gabi/Laser

http://www.us95th.org
http://hosted.filefront.com/GabiLaser

Posted By: Dantes

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 07:39 AM

I'm guessing it's an AI follow-the-leader test. In a couple shots the DR1 in the forefront has that AI tell-tale wobble on the tail of the aircraft (unless it's slipstream ;\) ).

If it is AI then they have Neoqb have done a real nice job making the flight formation look loose and realistic. No AI on rails flying which bothered me about other sims.

S!
Posted By: Brigstock

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 08:10 AM

I don't know if I was happier without these updates.
Ignorance is bliss and all that.
Now I'm in a state, tongue hanging out and dying to get me hands on KotS
...at any cost.

I'd say that the clip is player plus 2 AI. With the AI taking off as a pair (maybe started by the player and that gesture ). I have to agree the AI behaviour was very realistic looking. No rails there.
Posted By: =FB=VikS

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 08:21 AM

All 3x of them are AI controlled planes, one leader and 2x followers in V formation. \:\)
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 08:24 AM

Beautiful fidgety movements of the planes, and the smoke trail is sweet as well!

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 08:25 AM

Ah, all AI? - Well, it is great to see how realistically they move, being pushed about by air currents etc.

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 08:28 AM

Regarding the forests, I have the feeling that they look a teeny bit too dark, and maybe also too uniform, with no roads or fire belts going through them. After all, France/Belgium at the time was pretty much covered in "culturally influenced" landscapes, not New Guinea-like jungle. I can very definitely be wrong in my impression, it is just a feeling.

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 08:39 AM

The thing is that video is shoot around Verdun-Toul-Nancy area - there is the most forests covered area of western front.
Posted By: Ming_EAF19

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 09:43 AM

pilot animation

Nice thanks VikS. We saw some hints a while back (youtube) that the team was working on bones/motion capture. I thought for ground troops though... this looks very interesting

Will the enemy pilot alongside point to the ground if he shows mercy and has captured you in the air above his lines? Wingie asked me this last night in conversation so I pass on the question

The lavender sky is a placeholder for sky-blue I hope. Shades of Microsoft. Picky but we're up there most of the time

Ming

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
pilot animation

Nice thanks VikS. We saw some hints a while back (youtube) that the team was working on bones/motion capture. I thought for ground troops though... this looks very interesting

Will the enemy pilot alongside point to the ground if he shows mercy and has captured you in the air above his lines? Wingie asked me this last night in conversation so I pass on the question

The lavender sky is a placeholder for sky-blue I hope. Shades of Microsoft. Picky but we're up there most of the time

Ming

naaah, no mercy for enemies \:\)

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: =FB=VikS

naaah, no mercy for enemies \:\)

...and quite right too \:\)

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 01:34 PM

Oi does the phrase Knights of the Sky mean anything to you VikS

Bounders of the Sky?

Hasn't got the same ring to it

See knights means chivalry. Or we sue you under the Trade Descriptions Act

Can you drop your gear to signal surrender then?

Yes I know Brigs see 'plan' note earlier. It's about engaging the enemy so he reveals more than he might otherwise, but don't mention this to VikS

Ming

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 02:53 PM

Bounders of the Sky?

Terry Thomas in a flying machine....hmmmm...that might just work ;\)

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 03:26 PM

Oi does the phrase Knights of the Sky mean anything to you VikS

Bounders of the Sky?

Hasn't got the same ring to it

See knights means chivalry. Or we sue you under the Trade Descriptions Act

Can you drop your gear to signal surrender then?

Yes I know Brigs see 'plan' note earlier. It's about engaging the enemy so he reveals more than he might otherwise, but don't mention this to VikS

Ming

Just be a little bit modern Ming, napalm drops, atomic weapons and such stuff, you know \:D
Posted By: Cold_Gambler

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 05:06 PM

SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!

Awesome that you are incorporating the hand signals and such... small detail but absolutely crucial for WW1 air combat sim!

THANK YOU for the update, glad to see that the [NEOqB] team is on track, can't wait to get my paws on this.
Posted By: Heini von Seppel

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 05:47 PM

Glad this is still worked on. I have OFF Phase 2 to help me over but look forward to this even more than BoB:SOW.

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 07:48 PM

It's about engaging the enemy so he reveals more than he might otherwise, but don't mention this to VikS

LOL...we've had Chicken Littles, and Crying Wolves, now Ming pulls the Wile E. Coyote routine! \:D

And it works too! ;\)

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 10:00 PM

Yep and Brigs has caught on too. To quote Mrs Beeton 'First catch your hare'. I mean first engage your hare

Blimey google's got the lot it wasn't 'Bazookas' Beeton after all

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Catch-Your-Hare-Cookery/dp/1903018374

Ming

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/01/08 10:01 PM

I read that in 1748 btw

Ming

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/02/08 12:35 AM

Blimey Ming, I took a gander with your link, and found one!

Your illustrated Mrs. Beehive was a proto flight fan, who was know to have coined the phrase:

"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, or you might catch your beehive on fire."

(meaning: hair in this instance) ;\)

Ming, it's amazing how you've tied food, with history, and flight simming altogether once again!

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/02/08 01:44 AM

*dead pan face on*

...Scarey, ain't it

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/03/08 09:07 AM

I've been playing that vid over and over...I love it.
The animation of the pilot is superb, they way he snaps his arm back into the cockpit, very real looking. I'm hoping that we will get gestures from the AI in flight also, that'd be perfect.
Really looking forward to this Sim now...the wait is going to kill me
Posted By: EagleEye[GER]

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/03/08 10:08 AM

Nice vid!

Btw: I`m a little bit confused... Who is neoqb? And what is the relation between Gennadich and neoqb?

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/03/08 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: EagleEye[GER
]Nice vid!

Btw: I`m a little bit confused... Who is neoqb? And what is the relation between Gennadich and neoqb?

To be simple - Gennadich = neoqb, now - we are growing into a bigger company, and so on \:\)
Posted By: EagleEye[GER]

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/03/08 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: =FB=VikS
To be simple - Gennadich = neoqb, now - we are growing into a bigger company, and so on \:\)

Ah, thanks for the info.
Bigger company = more staff for developing = faster release of KoTS. \:D
Posted By: Mogster

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/03/08 06:54 PM

Fantastic pilot animations. They'll be very immersive especially if they run to pilots gesturing out of the cockpit when they spot enemies and such.

AI behaviour is very natural, nice to watch, far better Than current IL2 builds tbh.

The terrain is a bit washed out for my taste, especially at low alt. At the start of the vid the terrain looks more like sand than a grass airfield. Keep the trees as dark as they are and deepen the terrain colour to bland in is my preference.

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/03/08 08:26 PM

Mogster, you'll be happy to hear that VikS has mentioned there will be other hand commands for air signals!

(sounds like some future must-see video coverage)

Btw, David Calhoun (franksvalli) has a higher resolution version of this recent Triple Triplanes video for viewing now on his excellent WWI Air Combat Sims website:

Higher res Triple Triplanes video here

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/04/08 08:46 AM

Some more questions regarding the AI pilots:

- will they act like this: a weak pilot will not 'scan' the sky as well for enemies; a good pilots checks sky directions more often.
- the sun and plane shape, do they make blind spots or 'cones' of non-visibility for the pilot?
- will the pilot have something called 'emotion system' - e.g. if he's shot/attacked, he panics or not, based on experience etc.; can the pilot just have 'a bad day'.

Thanks \:\)

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/04/08 11:19 AM

To give a preamble to some of Laser's questions below, here's some recent info we learned from VikS and LOFT concerning the KOTS mission editor and the AI behaviors already planned (implemented):

Flying formation types, such as Vees, Echelons, and Strings can be selected in the mission editor, and presently there's three basic options to allow variance in the distance between aircraft within each Flight.

The editor allows AI aggressiveness and skill options to be adjusted by each mission pilot, and AI pilots fly aircraft through their plane's mounted controls (as players do):

Originally Posted By: Laser

- will they act like this: a weak pilot will not 'scan' the sky as well for enemies; a good pilots checks sky directions more often.
- the sun and plane shape, do they make blind spots or 'cones' of non-visibility for the pilot?
- will the pilot have something called 'emotion system' - e.g. if he's shot/attacked, he panics or not, based on experience etc.; can the pilot just have 'a bad day'.

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/04/08 12:56 PM

Dave posted some details in a previous post, check them

Originally Posted By: Laser

cant answer on these ones, cause its mostly very small details, which ones depend on much bigger ones, but -

Quote:

yes for this one

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/04/08 02:07 PM

TY VikS & FlyX

If you make a very powerful AI, those features will downgrade the AI pilots in a human-like fashion and not randomly (i mean, IMHO it would be a pity to reach that point and not do it).

Can't wait for this game \:\)

Re: TripleTriplane video (WIP) - 04/04/08 02:48 PM

Need not thank me Laser!

Oh yeah, with VikS's reminder:

Q: Lastly, will there be variation in the combat tactics used by pilots or formations using different types of aircraft? That is, will AI pilots flying in agility-type aircraft (the Camels & the Fokker DR.I for example) use more horizontal maneuvering than compared to those flying Spads or the SE5a?

A: yes, AI will work with depend on plane type which it controls.

© 2024 SimHQ Forums