homepage

Men of War Vietnam is saved!

Posted By: Force10

Men of War Vietnam is saved! - 09/23/11 06:52 AM

When this game came out I was very disappointed to say the least. Missions that were mostly a 4 man squad missions with no editor? Luckily the modders were able to hack a working editor out of the MOWAS or MOW titles...and work it does. Here are some screenies from a mission a guy named Men of Peace made as a quickie to show what could be done. When I was done, I lost 156 men and the enemy lost 547 men...and I lost.

Note the unit bar on the left and it scrolls down through even more units.

Defending the base before we push forward to the enemy base

Prepping the enemy base with my huey before we go in

Sending my guys in to die

A few survivors of the failed rush still giving it their all

I would consider this game something that could be great now that the modders have got their hands dirty. The mission is posted at the 1C Vietnam forums and is already making this title start to be worth it since there isnt really any Vietnam era RTS games out there. To make things even more promising, there is a Dynamic Campaign Generator that works now as well. I have tried it and it has made some decent missions with phantom strikes, artillery and good size forces to play with. Its still hard to recommend this game until we find out if 1C is going to support it further...or possibly patch out the mod hacks, but if you already own it definitely take a look!
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Men of War Vietnam is saved! - 09/23/11 07:14 AM

nice... so you can play as the americans? or is that a mod?

(read you play as VC only?)
Posted By: Force10

Re: Men of War Vietnam is saved! - 09/23/11 07:33 AM

I was playing as the US in that mission. The dynamic campaign editor lets you play any of the 4 factions. The stock title forced you to play a VC/Russian campaign first to unlock the US campaign but then you could play as Americans. The stock missions were mostly just a squad of a few guys with little support and that pissed most people off. I was expecting the big battles like Assault Squad in a Vietnam setting but that wasnt what we got. Now it has the potential to play big skirmishes like AS.
Posted By: HogDriver

Re: Men of War Vietnam is saved! - 09/23/11 08:49 AM

Looks like a win for the modding community.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums