Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4067733 - 01/22/15 05:41 PM Vaping instead of smoking  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

One of my kids bought me a Vaping device.
This is my first day trying it so far it has reduced my need for cigarettes by a moderate amount.
I am a very heavy smoker a pack and a half a day no problem.
So for my health and wealth's sake I intend to reduce my intake this year.
Of Course giving up is best option but not realistic in my case.
Have any of you guys tried Vaping, if so how did it go for you did it help reduce your need for cigarettes.

Last edited by marko1231123; 01/22/15 06:19 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4067744 - 01/22/15 05:58 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Billyote Offline
Billyote  Offline

Good on ya! I'm a 100% vaper after smoking 1+ pack a day for 15 years. I've been smoke free over a year now and only vaping. The ones that look like cigarettes weren't powerful enough to get me off smoking. It's when I transitioned to the higher end, more powerful battery tank systems that got me fully on board. People are still trying to put down vaping as worse than smoking, but there haven't been any extensive studies yet to prove it. One just came out in a respected medical journal about finding formaldehyde in the vapor, but only at 5.0 volts, none detected at 3.3 volts (this is using batteries that you can adjust voltage yourself). No other tests were done yet. 5.0 volts would be way to horrible taste and feeling for anyone to use, so I don't believe this is truly an accurate test to put vaping down for me. But I Have decided to dial down my voltage.

#4067747 - 01/22/15 06:02 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
I think people put down vaping not because of research concerns but because of the current borderline fanatical opposition to smoking in general. Good on you for reducing the intake in favor of an alternative wink

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4067765 - 01/22/15 06:29 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Be a man and just quit. Smoke the last pack and then never ever smoke again. Take a couple of weeks off so you don't have to suffer through work.

Rememeber that you never know what you inhale with that vaping crap. It's a virtually unregulated business as far as I know and while they may kill you less effectively that tobacco, you're bound to get a nasty surprise in the not so distant future.

If there is one thing in the world that deserves fanatical opposition it's the tobacco industry... that and third person perspective computer games.

Good luck man! Who knows, you may live to see the new carrier ops in DCS.

-C-

#4067768 - 01/22/15 06:32 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I had quit smoking for a few years, but my wife hadn't. I got into this with her to help get her off smoking and also because I thought I'd enjoy it without the smell and breathing issues of smoking. I don't want to go down that road again.
Ditch the Blu or other similar e-cigs you see advertised on tv. They're a PITA, not consistent, less productive and EXPENSIVE even if you get into refilling them. Go with one that uses no filter media, just a tank and a replaceable coil. Watch the voltage, certain amounts are recommended for certain coils.
This is the type we use, but there is a larger battery you can get:
http://www.evcigarettes.com/kanger-evod-650mah-bc-clearomizer-starter-kit/

Order your "juice" to refill and you can usually choose the nicotine level (even 0 nicotine), PG/VG ratio (propylene glycol/vegetable glycerin), if you want it sweetened and of course the flavor.
It's fun trying out flavors. Get a small sample before buying a bottle, it lasts a long time. Learn about PG and VG. VG is more vapor producing and some flavor, PG is more of the smoke feel (throat hit) and sweeter. Start with a 50/50 mix, that's what we settled on. Blu is 100% VG, which is why it "feels" lacking. Eversmoke and the relabeled copies use 30/70(VG/PG).

For us, we prefer to stick to coffee flavors. You have to put away the idea that this is just like smoking, because it isn't. You get the physical motion like it, you get nicotine (if you want) but the feel and taste will be different, so don't try to replicate but just find something you like. That's the reason for flavors, not attracting kids like some have claimed. (IMO)

A good site for just the juice: http://www.virginvapor.com/#

Enjoy!

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4067793 - 01/22/15 07:07 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Scoobe Offline
Scoobe  Offline

Originally Posted By: Charlie_SB
Be a man and just quit. Smoke the last pack and then never ever smoke again. Take a couple of weeks off so you don't have to suffer through work.

Rememeber that you never know what you inhale with that vaping crap. It's a virtually unregulated business as far as I know and while they may kill you less effectively that tobacco, you're bound to get a nasty surprise in the not so distant future.

If there is one thing in the world that deserves fanatical opposition it's the tobacco industry... that and third person perspective computer games.

-C-

1+

Rob

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
#4067837 - 01/22/15 08:10 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Don't use higher voltages. While tentative early research indicates that Vaping is safer than cigarettes, this is not true when the voltage increase alters the chemical composition of the inhaled particles, and their smaller size increases the saturation of lung tissue with carcinogens.

Too early to know how much impact the 'better than cigarettes' composition and 'worse than cigarettes' particulate size will balance out, but I doubt you want to be a case study for the unforseen consequences of misuse.

#4067846 - 01/22/15 08:28 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: Charlie_SB]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Charlie_SB

-C-

Went cold turkey many years ago lasted twelve months and was like an antichrist for all of that time.
It changed my personality and not for the better.
My plan this time is reduction not quitting if I can get my usage down to half pack a day
Using vaping I will be happy with that. even better if I can switch totally to vaping
To early to say yet but I have smoked less so far today I am still on my first pack I would normally have started my second one by Now.

#4067929 - 01/22/15 10:53 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
You'll be a man regardless. That was an asinine comment.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4067972 - 01/23/15 12:10 AM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
A smoker going from cigarettes to vaping is like an alcoholic going from vodka to wine.

Lungs are for air.

Question everything!
#4068184 - 01/23/15 01:58 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Funny, I thought this thread was about two alternative ways of shooting down enemy planes. smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4068199 - 01/23/15 02:31 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I quit smoking about 30 years ago, I was a 2 pack a day smoker.
I quit 'one day'.

The first week was hard.
Then it was just the 'motion' of putting something in my mouth, so I ate candys.
For about a year.

I still missed the movement, hand to mouth....I've found that was the hardest habit to break.
The nicotine was easier to give up, than the 'habit'.
The 'motion'.

I suspect that's why people that give up smoking eat a lot.

Also I suspect smoking a vapor cigarette will not do much good, unless your going to carry that vapor cigarette for life, like a pacifier. But it would certainly beat smoking a cigarette. That's just 'insane'.

INSANE!

You gotta stop, it's literally, killing you.
Cold turkey worked for me. But it's hard.
Life is hard wink
Dying...is easy.

"Murphy's Law"
#4068211 - 01/23/15 02:41 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Why did Murphy's post remind me of that Three Dog Night song "Easy to be Hard"? biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4068227 - 01/23/15 03:13 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Ignore the asinine comments. Quitting is easier for some people than others.
I tried cold turkey many, many times and felt absolutely miserable and was unbearable each time.

I finally quit by using Nicorette brand nicotine gum. I chewed that gum for a looong time (about a year) and cut down to three pieces of gum a day. Then I chewed regular gum that had the same flavor (cinnamon) for about a month, just to fool myself, and haven't chewed in over three years...

Good luck Marko. Think about how your clothes/car/house will smell better, you'll be saving money (even the gum is cheaper than ciggies, at least in Canada) and how you'll be setting a good example for your children. Think about how the craving is actually a GOOD sign: it's an indication that your body is getting cleansed of the nicotine.

Hope that helps. Never vaped and haven't researched it, but it strikes me that vaping would perpetuate the smoking "ritual" (i.e. positive associations between relaxing/down-time with the hit of nicotine) which makes it so hard initially not to have a cigarette with the morning or at the bar.

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4068243 - 01/23/15 03:44 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Do some research into the various smoke juices. Most contain propylene glycol. Now its FDA approved and is used in things like tooth paste, but something tells me its probably not the best thing ever to ingest. Oh, to me it tastes like huffing some chemical. Still, its way better than a cigarette. This is how I got to stop smoking a pack a day. Someone bought be a couple types of e-cigs to try. One was bad....propylene glycol which I seem to have issues with. The other used vegetable gycerin and that was the one that got me to knock it off. Started with full power 2.4 percent nicotine and now down to 0.6 percent. Goal is to knock of the vaping at some point. Soon I will start mixing my 0.6 with 0.0 smoke juice to get lower. Then finally 0.0 for however long. But vaping is NOT a stop getting your nico fix product. But you do have some control over how much you stick into yourself if you start buying various smoke juices. And I highly recommend Johnson Creek. Their Red Oak line is what I use. Final thought, not all smoke juice is remotely made the same. Some might make bad combos of things together that when heated make compounds you really don't want to ingest. Even then, better than a smoking a cig.

https://www.johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com/

REd oak line of ingredients list.

USP Grade vegetable glycerin, deionized water, nicotine, natural flavors (basically suger), artificial flavors (think soda flavors), and citric acid as a preservative.

Good luck.... First couple weeks switching is kind of hard. At around week 3 or 4 vaping I tried to smoke a regular pack of camels. I nearly puked. So something good had happened.

#4068298 - 01/23/15 05:34 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: FlashBurn]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
Do some research into the various smoke juices. Most contain propylene glycol. Now its FDA approved and is used in things like tooth paste, but something tells me its probably not the best thing ever to ingest. Oh, to me it tastes like huffing some chemical. Still, its way better than a cigarette. This is how I got to stop smoking a pack a day. Someone bought be a couple types of e-cigs to try. One was bad....propylene glycol which I seem to have issues with. The other used vegetable gycerin and that was the one that got me to knock it off. Started with full power 2.4 percent nicotine and now down to 0.6 percent. Goal is to knock of the vaping at some point. Soon I will start mixing my 0.6 with 0.0 smoke juice to get lower. Then finally 0.0 for however long. But vaping is NOT a stop getting your nico fix product. But you do have some control over how much you stick into yourself if you start buying various smoke juices. And I highly recommend Johnson Creek. Their Red Oak line is what I use. Final thought, not all smoke juice is remotely made the same. Some might make bad combos of things together that when heated make compounds you really don't want to ingest. Even then, better than a smoking a cig.

USP Grade vegetable glycerin, deionized water, nicotine, natural flavors (basically suger), artificial flavors (think soda flavors), and citric acid as a preservative.

Good luck.... First couple weeks switching is kind of hard. At around week 3 or 4 vaping I tried to smoke a regular pack of camels. I nearly puked. So something good had happened.

Thanks for the advice guys.
But just to clarify it was never my intention to completely quit.
My intention is to reduce my intake
So far so good have already reduced by half a pack yesterday.
And will probably do the same today.

#4068364 - 01/23/15 07:10 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Good luck with it mate; i wonder if some of the smug comments come from ex-smokers; nothing worse for evangalising than an ex-smoker! smile
Was listening to a programme about vaping on the BBC.
One interesting side benefit was people using the flavoured juices found they lost appetite or craving for sweet things so counter-balancing the seemingly inevitable weight gain whilst quitting. One woman who had an addiction to chocolate suddenly noticed she had shed a couple of stone without realising. Some others said they once they had reduced to zero nicotine in the mix they lost interest and gave up both altogether.

#4068369 - 01/23/15 07:23 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: marko1231123
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn

Thanks for the advice guys.
But just to clarify it was never my intention to completely quit.
My intention is to reduce my intake
So far so good have already reduced by half a pack yesterday.
And will probably do the same today.

Well when you release that its 3 or 4 times cheaper with vaping and it gives you your fix you might say screw the burning paper and tobacco. And it certainly helps that its like 99 percent less awful for you. My fear is that as sin taxes for tobacco bring in less and less revenue they will end up trying to tax at the same rate for E-cigs. But even at its worst you have gone from a carcinogen factory to something more like drinking way to much coffee. Nicotine the drug aint that bad for you. May even have some good points. Just stupid addictive. And its delivery methods of burning things will most likely kill you in the long run. Bad side of it is alot like coffee. Increased circulatory issues. Higher blood pressure. Things like that. By itself probably not a big deal to a healthy person. Added to being over weight and lack of exercise it will not help at all. Just like caffeine. Nicotine is a real interesting drug. Much more so than caffeine.

#4068374 - 01/23/15 07:33 PM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
The smug comments where counter productive.

I have quit cold turkey 2x in my life. The first lasted only maybe 3 months. The second time 5 months. This way for me is working. And i did not set out to quit. But that is where I find myself heading. And this one will work for ME. But even if I just vape away at low nicotine levels for the rest of my life I have made such an epic huge improvement over a pack a day. Its not simply a little less worse. Its vastly less awful. To put it simply, burning things produces carcinogens. Yes, breath fire wood burning every day and you vastly increase your chances of getting a cancer. With a cig its worse. The paper is chemically treated and dyed. The tobacco has weird things going on in its production. And its the nicotine you get addicted too. not tobacco. You take out all that bad crap your multiple folds helping yourself.

My lungs cleared out. I can breath again. I feel so much better than before. It improvement you can feel. And right away.

#4068606 - 01/24/15 07:44 AM Re: Vaping instead of smoking [Re: marko1231123]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Originally Posted By: marko1231123

Went cold turkey many years ago lasted twelve months and was like an antichrist for all of that time.
It changed my personality and not for the better.
My plan this time is reduction not quitting if I can get my usage down to half pack a day
Using vaping I will be happy with that. even better if I can switch totally to vaping
To early to say yet but I have smoked less so far today I am still on my first pack I would normally have started my second one by Now.

http://time.com/3678402/electronic-cigarettes-ecigs-health-science-research/

Bottom line is, they don't know what the long term effects are. Go back to being antichrist instead. Take up some physical activity to get some of those good chemicals flowing in your brain again. That will mellow you out until your brain is de-toxed.

-C-

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.