Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4002088 - 08/28/14 09:09 PM Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware.  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
It's time for an uninstalling party. So sick of half-baked web browsers. Glitchy, slow, freezy, just CRAP... and that's not even getting into Mozilla's vindictive politics. I can click the shortcuts for IE and FF at the same time, and by the time FF is done loading I've already finished with the internet using IE.

And then there's Adobe...

When I got my first PC around 1995 or so, it came with a program called Adobe Acrobat. Apparently, I needed this program to read documents in PDF format. It brought my poor 486DX2 to its knees for some reason, while seeming to display text on the screen which shouldn't be that difficult. Blurry, unformatted text, poorly scanned from the Chuck Yeager's Air Combat instruction manual.

Fast forward through another almost 20 years... numerous systems, every operating system from Win 3.1, Win95, Win98, WinMe, WinXP, Win7 - Processing power increasing hundreds-fold, thousands-fold...

... and ADOBE ACROBAT IS STILL A LAGGY P.O.S. Now, Adobe's next evil scheme was named Flash and is required software for anyone who wants to watch kitten videos on YouTube. It's garbage. Utter garbage. It seems to be compatible with nothing at all, and requires more attention than conjoined triplet infants. Every day it needs to update something. Sometimes I even say "YES" and it still fails to do whatever it's trying to do. Why Flash, why? What do you want?

I'm done.

No more kitten videos on this computer.

My daughter will be heartbroken.

Robots are stealing my luggage.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4002092 - 08/28/14 09:13 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Watch your kitten videos in HTML5, no plugins required!

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4002098 - 08/28/14 09:38 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
It's always funny reading these threads because I almost never have any issues with my home PC. I'm no saint but I keep machines as organized and minimal as possible. Then I go to work for a client and I'm befuddled to see the level of disrepair some people run businesses with biggrin

I'm guessing you have some relatively simple software problems that just seem big due to the visible effects.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4002100 - 08/28/14 09:41 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Clydewinder Offline
Clydewinder  Offline
Hotshot

Software problem fixed by uninstalling Firefox and installing Opera.

#4002108 - 08/28/14 09:57 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Ah yes! Firefox. My wife insisted on installing it. I don't know if the program itself is malware, but it brought a lot of its malware buddies with it. I had a hell of a time cleaning her computer of all the mess. One thing I remember is that something about coupons kept popping up.
Needless to say, she no longer wants to install Firefox. It's funny how some people get attached to a browser.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4002116 - 08/28/14 10:18 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Clydewinder
Software problem fixed by uninstalling Firefox and installing Opera.

Let me know what you think, I haven't used Opera in years. I know IE is better security-wise than it used to be, but I absolutely hate the lack of options and horrible look of it.
I was thinking the other day how fast FF and websites were when we first got crappy DSL 10+ years ago and it seems like even with a hell of a lot more bandwidth and pc power, websites seem even slower to come up.
I know they make use of the good connections these days, but IMO it should be instantaneous.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4002121 - 08/28/14 10:23 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I don't mind IE, and the only real issue I have with it is that it won't keep me logged in here. So I use Firefox to read SimHQ, but it's slow, hangs up constantly, and gets even worse with any kind of video. I end up just copying the URL for a video and pasting it into IE, where it runs perfectly.

I get that same behavior on any PC, even a new one that I put a fresh install of Firefox onto, so I'm pretty sure it's not the PC or any malware, I think it's just that Firefox doesn't work very well anymore.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4002123 - 08/28/14 10:26 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I'd imagine you've got IE set to clear history when you shut it down. It also deletes cookies etc, not just the history.
Check internet options/genderal tab and uncheck the box.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4002129 - 08/28/14 10:33 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Arthonon]  
Clydewinder Offline
Clydewinder  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Arthonon
I don't mind IE, and the only real issue I have with it is that it won't keep me logged in here. So I use Firefox to read SimHQ, but it's slow, hangs up constantly, and gets even worse with any kind of video. I end up just copying the URL for a video and pasting it into IE, where it runs perfectly.

I get that same behavior on any PC, even a new one that I put a fresh install of Firefox onto, so I'm pretty sure it's not the PC or any malware, I think it's just that Firefox doesn't work very well anymore.

This is EXACTLY what I was running into.

#4002137 - 08/28/14 11:00 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I've found it difficult to view videos (WMV's) online with the IE browser.
Must be some option I have disabled, but I have no idea.
So I use FF, and don't seem to have any trouble.

Then again, I have DSL, and I'm not used to the 'instant' appearance of the WEB page..... wink
Beats the heck out of my old dial up...lol.....

I try to keep a clean machine....deleting all the history, cleaning up after closing the browser, using 'freeware' to keep it clean, scan w/Malwarebite's daily.....and I have Kaspersky. Never had a problem so far.
I just don't browse many different sites, and don't D/L anything I can avoid.....

"Murphy's Law"
#4002138 - 08/28/14 11:02 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Peally]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Peally
It's always funny reading these threads because I almost never have any issues with my home PC. I'm no saint but I keep machines as organized and minimal as possible. Then I go to work for a client and I'm befuddled to see the level of disrepair some people run businesses with biggrin

I'm guessing you have some relatively simple software problems that just seem big due to the visible effects.

same, i've never had any issues with either thankfully, but a friend has constant "issues" .. all brought on by themselfs and not keeping things up to date .. or they've got so much junk on the pc that do the same thing that things end up conflicting with each other in a fight to be "boss". Also dont forgot the age old PC support quote "the problem is somewhere between the keyboard and the chair" biggrin

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4002209 - 08/29/14 01:49 AM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Nope, I refuse to use update or let IE run on my PC, it is THE most hacked browser in existence, I use Mozilla Firefox exclusively and with add-ons it is ultimately one of the most user friendly and safest browsers out there. I have no problems with Flash or Adobe but there are extensions in FF that can help to alleviate issues (and even warn against Adobe Flash actually). I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Firefox, a 50 Gb connection and I have zero problems, people I know with IE and a host of protection software have nothing but problems, Viruses and Trojans. Maybe you are blaming the wrong thing?

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4002225 - 08/29/14 02:34 AM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
By not updating the browser it's more useless and vulnerable regardless smile

I can almost guarantee the people with malware problems would have them no matter what browser on the planet they're using. I've used all the major ones without big problems, and I've seen them all blown up and bleeding beyond repair given the right person.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4002254 - 08/29/14 04:12 AM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
Nope, I refuse to use update or let IE run on my PC, it is THE most hacked browser in existence, I use Mozilla Firefox exclusively and with add-ons it is ultimately one of the most user friendly and safest browsers out there. I have no problems with Flash or Adobe but there are extensions in FF that can help to alleviate issues (and even warn against Adobe Flash actually). I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Firefox, a 50 Gb connection and I have zero problems, people I know with IE and a host of protection software have nothing but problems, Viruses and Trojans. Maybe you are blaming the wrong thing?

I have multiple PCs and they all run fast and smooth, so I am pretty certain they don't have any malware on them. I've worked in the computer industry for decades, so I'm generally pretty good about avoiding those things, and all the other browsers I use - IE and Chrome - work just fine. Firefox is the only slow one. And as I said, I took a brand new PC running Windows 8, hardly went to any websites before downloading Firefox, and Firefox was slow. Again, other browsers on the same systems never showed an issue.

Maybe there's some setting I can change to make it work better, but so far it's been a dud on every system I have it on.

Edit: My comment about settings reminded me that I've heard about many applications having issues with hardware rendering, so I looked for and found that setting in Firefox, and it was turned on. I turned it off, and it seems to be performing much better now. I'll keep testing it to see if it really is making a substantial difference.

Last edited by Arthonon; 08/29/14 04:49 AM.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4002266 - 08/29/14 05:49 AM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Wow. Never seen any malware with FF before..coupons ? Doesn't sound like something that was part of it.

Adobe , yes..they have the ask toolbar and cr@pola included with unless you untick the option everytime you update. What filth.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4002307 - 08/29/14 10:38 AM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I'm a FF fan but even I think it's a bit slow.This may not be helped by the amount of plug-in's and add-on's I use or the fact I have 4 start-up pages,so it is initially slow to load on start-up.

I'm about to test Opera.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4002346 - 08/29/14 12:48 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The problem is people do something stupid like Google for Firefox and DL it from whatever site pops up. You can't do that.

Firefox must be downloaded from Mozilla.org, no other site. It's fluff-free there. Other sites take a perfectly legit browser and package it with illegit crap to get you to install it. It's akin to having a homeless guy buy Domino's pizza for you...sure you get the same pizza, but that's not ALL you're getting.

I've seen the same thing happen with every other browser, too, not just FF. If you don't KNOW where to get them from, don't get them!

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4002354 - 08/29/14 12:58 PM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I always update IE, even if it's not regularly used. The problems aren't with the IE updates from Microsoft. As I see it, IE is used as a backend browser for some applications that render a web access. It'll open either way, in part, in such cases. Why leave it in the most vulnerable state?

And for those tired of Flash, do check out HTML5. Most any browser plays WebM files these days, no plugin needed.

http://www.w3.org/2010/05/video/mediaevents.html

https://www.youtube.com/html5

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4002687 - 08/30/14 02:15 AM Re: Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash are malware. [Re: Clydewinder]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

Up to now, I'm cycling between different browsers. From the well known to the obscure. IE, Chrome, safari, opera to comodo dragon/ice dragon and white hat aviator then to text browsers elink iirc, lynx etc.

There's no browser I prefer in fact most of them are based on the same "engine". I find something uncomfortable in one which is not present in the other, I switch and end up cycling between them.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.