Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#338050 - 03/17/05 05:45 AM Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hello all,
It's been several years since I flew Falcon 4.0. After repenting from the atrocious sin of selling off my copy, I finally ordered my beloved 3ring binder version off of ebay. I'll be getting it shortly but in the meantime I wanted to ask the professionals here where I should begin patching up my game. The last thing I remember occuring within the Falcon community was the RP movement. Now, before you all throw every patch under the sun at me, I need to make a clarification early on. I'm still using the same old rig, a PII 400 mhz processor, Voodoo 3 card, 192mb of RAM so the newest 3d models and what not are probably going to be out of my leauge at this point. Outside of the 1.08 patch, what would you all recommend for my needs? It's been ages since I've flown a jet (Red Baron pilot here...), so how would you guys recommend I dive back into this mother of all sims? Also, do you guys have any good advice on how to learn this sim? It used to give me fits, but I'm older, wiser, and hopefully more patient now.

Thanks in advance and Salute!

Prof

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#338051 - 03/17/05 09:13 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Hi,

interesting question... I'm inclined to say you should try the FreeFalcon update ; however, I really have no idea if it runs on your computer - although I'm afraid it won't.

The exe I've had most fun with is eFalcon 1.09 - that's from three years back or so. You may want to try that - it's probably still available here and there. I just cleaned out the hard disk so I can't send it to you.

Good luck!

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#338052 - 03/23/05 12:53 AM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Capt. Sopwith-

If it's been several years since you've flown F4 you are in for quite a shock, It's NOT the same simulator that you purchased!

This was my post from last year:

"The day that F4 hit the shelves I was at the store my $59.00 buying my "Commander's Copy" (came with the big manual and assorted other stuff) they had two copies on the shelf, I got one and my VSC got the other.

As soon as I arrived home I took it out of the box and installed it. It was AWESOME! The graphics were GREAT (Remember; this was back in the day when JANES Fighters Anthology was still going strong), and the realism did indeed make it a "benchmark" in flight simulation. The biggest problem was that it was "buggy" as all hell (CTD's, lock-ups, ect.). I could get past having approach telling me to expect a right base (though giving me steers for left turns), and all the other details that "Chopstick" and the development team didn't/couldn't fix (I even signed up with Hasbro to be an online IP) though the in-sim instability finally killed it for me and I shelved the whole thing.

Over the years I would occasionally take my "Viper" up for a spin just to enjoy the flight experience and play with the avionics until it would CTD or lock-up.

Late last week I dropped by this forum (taking a break from EAW) and began reading posts about SP4. I went to the D/L sites and obtained SP4 and SP4.1 (thank god for DSL!). After re-installing F4, patching to 108US, and adding SP4 (and 4.1) I fired up it up. All that I can say
is "HOLY SMOKES"! It's an all new simulation! The new menus/screens look great! When I started the Take-off roll in a TE and switched to external view I'm now in a "D"! Ground, tower, departure and approach now seem to be paying attention to my current situation. I'm now looking forward to flying a campaign (in its entirety).

The people at U/T and everyone else that has been involved in the re-development of F4 have created a masterpiece!

** DELETED LESS THAN FLATTERING TEXT REGARDING THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPER, HASBRO AND ATARI ** ...a flawed product to the public and made a feeble attempt to fix some of the problems with US108 ('ol Louie headed for cover before the #^&* could really hit the Pratt & Whitney), then said "sorry folk's this is at good as gets" (10 pilots from my O/L squad returned their copies and had to fight for refunds!). ** MORE DELETED TEXT ***... a "flawed" product and only through the work of the F4 community (3rd party developers) has this sim evolved to (Now exceeded) what we all had been told that we were purchasing 7-years ago!

Thanks to all for your hard work! It is appreciated!!

"Slick"

--------------------
"Burning debris never reversed on anyone"!

#338053 - 03/31/05 08:53 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
RonB_dup1 Offline
RonB_dup1  Offline

Anchorage, Alaska
Go to this link and then to downloads. Download the falcon4 dl's and instructions. Install carefully and you will have the most stable edition to date for single or multiplayer.
http://www.388th.net/complete2.htm
Good luck and hope you enjoy the version.

Major_C/O_421st_IP
#338054 - 04/01/05 02:11 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
Mower.87th Offline
Mower.87th  Offline

If you have been away from this sim for a while, frankly, you need to head over to where the Falcon 4 heavyweights are:

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11

...and here as well:

http://www.simmersworld.com/default.php?page=default

Mulch it.
#338055 - 04/01/05 06:12 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Welcome back, CapSopwith! You've already received some good advice, and there is a great community to enjoy with Falcon.

Regarding a workable install for your rig, I'll assume you are using Win98SE and not XP. Be aware that your amount of RAM will limit performance yet would likely be the easiest and cheapest upgrade. Win98 will take 512 megs easily, altho your motherboard may complicate how you install. But consider it as a Falcon booster!

Secondly, Free Falcon 3 I *think* will not run on Win98, only XP. There is a recent FF alteration with a 3.1 patch that includes a new "Cobra" executable that a couple people suggested will run on Win98. But that executable file is an offshoot of - I know this must seem like a thicket of patches! - BMS 2, which is pretty processor intensive.

So, I would suggest the following as one relatively straightforward option:

1. Patch up to a clean install of the official 1.08 Microprose final patch.

2. Download the SuperPatch 3 (SP3) patch and follow the instructions. Swampy's Install "sticky" at Frugals Falcon Forum is a good bet for a concise rundown of all install/patch instructions. Run it, and see how you do.

The SP3 executable is still used in SP4.2, that patch family's most up-to-date version. SP4 updates lots of the data for flight models, ground objects, graphics and so forth, but does add quite a hit on performance for less powerful machines as a result. The BMS executable is even more graphics intensive, and is the basis for recent FreeFalcon relases, so be aware.

I have a P3 600 with 512 RAM, but use a relatively more modern graphics card (nVidia 5950) and run SP4.2 without issues. But that's pushing it, so I think a PII would be doubtful.

To wrap up, if you don't find SP3 to run acceptably, RP5 was quite excellent in its day, and you may still have it judging from your note. If not, I'm sure it is still around on some sites, and kind souls in the Falcon community will point it out if you ask. I think the eFalcon last version was also good, although perhaps stronger in graphics and outside-the cockpit experience, while RP5 shone inside the cockpit and in some related realism issues. Sadly, that topic led to outrageous flame wars that don't need revisiting!

Hope this gives you a few options that could work with your equipment, so you can enjoy the great sim that is Falcon is.

Eugene

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#338056 - 04/01/05 07:30 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene:
Welcome back, CapSopwith! You've already received some good advice, and there is a great community to enjoy with Falcon.

Regarding a workable install for your rig, I'll assume you are using Win98SE and not XP. Be aware that your amount of RAM will limit performance yet would likely be the easiest and cheapest upgrade. Win98 will take 512 megs easily, altho your motherboard may complicate how you install. But consider it as a Falcon booster!

Secondly, Free Falcon 3 I *think* will not run on Win98, only XP. There is a recent FF alteration with a 3.1 patch that includes a new "Cobra" executable that a couple people suggested will run on Win98. But that executable file is an offshoot of - I know this must seem like a thicket of patches! - BMS 2, which is pretty processor intensive.

So, I would suggest the following as one relatively straightforward option:

1. Patch up to a clean install of the official 1.08 Microprose final patch.

2. Download the SuperPatch 3 (SP3) patch and follow the instructions. Swampy's Install "sticky" at Frugals Falcon Forum is a good bet for a concise rundown of all install/patch instructions. Run it, and see how you do.

The SP3 executable is still used in SP4.2, that patch family's most up-to-date version. SP4 updates lots of the data for flight models, ground objects, graphics and so forth, but does add quite a hit on performance for less powerful machines as a result. The BMS executable is even more graphics intensive, and is the basis for recent FreeFalcon relases, so be aware.

I have a P3 600 with 512 RAM, but use a relatively more modern graphics card (nVidia 5950) and run SP4.2 without issues. But that's pushing it, so I think a PII would be doubtful.

To wrap up, if you don't find SP3 to run acceptably, RP5 was quite excellent in its day, and you may still have it judging from your note. If not, I'm sure it is still around on some sites, and kind souls in the Falcon community will point it out if you ask. I think the eFalcon last version was also good, although perhaps stronger in graphics and outside-the cockpit experience, while RP5 shone inside the cockpit and in some related realism issues. Sadly, that topic led to outrageous flame wars that don't need revisiting!

Hope this gives you a few options that could work with your equipment, so you can enjoy the great sim that is Falcon is.

Eugene
Actually, you have it bassackwards \:\)

eFalcon concentrated inside the cockpit, while the RP stuff concentrated on the outside of the pit.

Anyway, if anyone wants some RP stuff, here ya go

http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~jupp/falcon4/rpg/#Files

#338057 - 04/02/05 05:27 AM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Well, like I said, such discussions seemed to always crash :-) That said, I never used eFalcon, so really can't speak from experience. Perhaps some of my old recollections of the flame wars were about the graphics superiority versus realism in general. You recall the graphics edge of eFalcon, since they took the leaked code from Microprose and edited the executable. RP did not do that for legal reasons, and so was focused on data fixes. T-Rex still maintains that SuperPatch got much of its realism from the RP work it was in part based upon (and in part on eFalcon).

But you are right, I believe. The literal cockpit was - instrumentation and functioning, IIRC - was also eFalcon focus. I was confusing the stuff you do to engage in the campaign(in the cockpit) and how it all reacted as "cockpit", contrasted with how the game world looked outside.

In any event, I think he'd be pleased if somehow he could get SP3 running acceptably - perhaps with a RAM upgrade.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#338058 - 04/18/05 08:27 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
Let's sticky this. Everyone should know where to get Falcon things.

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat
#338059 - 04/20/05 09:59 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
CaptSopwith, if your computer can't handle any of the heavyweight add-ons (i.e. SP, BMS, FF), here's an alternative installation that I'm temporarily using while I study my 3-ring binder...
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002328#000000

- 1.08us patch
- HiTiles
- Donut's Sky Fix
- Paul Wilson's V3.0 cockpit
- AMAXSoundFiles
- RP4.1

Not a popular Falcon install but it works pretty well for me, even with simplified avionics. Next, I'll probably move up to RP5a (where things start to get complicated with the Expand dialog box) and then SP3. After that, the sky's the limit (with an upcoming new computer)! \:\)

I LOVE flying in inclement weather but I don't care so much for SP3's rain effects. However, BMS's thunderstorms look FANTASTIC to me and I really can't wait to get to that point as I progress along!

BTW, for such an old game, I think EF2000 has very nice looking inclement weather (before rain was modeled in sims, I assume).
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#338060 - 06/08/05 11:59 AM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
Jex =TE= Offline
Jex =TE=  Offline

UK
I'll add one and a completely stable installation as well.

http://www.freebirdswing.org

This seems to use no additional graphics other than what comes with superpack (i.e. no volumetric clouds and standardish looking tiles).

The other part to this is that when you register to DL the FBW patch, you'll be asked if you wish to conduct an O-flight with one of the instructors. You don't have to, but FBW put on training for all levels (from assigning steer points to programming the ICP) and I highly recommend joining and taking advantage of the offer \:\)

People regularly get together to fly out (I've played with 10 all together but there have been higher numbers), and you'll need teamspeak (www.teamspeak.org) in order to chat.

thx.

#338061 - 06/08/05 02:35 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
Huey52 Offline
Hotshot
Huey52  Offline
Hotshot

New England
Why not begin with Falcon4 Allied Force. Granted an add'l $28 but brought up to current flight sim standards.

Allied Force

#338062 - 07/26/05 12:13 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
FF_StepChild Offline
FF_StepChild  Offline

Hampton Va US
~S~ all. I am an F4 virgin, just picked up a copy at a yardsale. No documentation, just a jewel case. Reading through this and other threads has been quite helpful, but the patches are still eluding me. Is there a specific order to get up to date? Thanx in advance, Ray

To err is human, boy am I ever human
Teamspeak
#338063 - 08/17/05 10:54 AM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I fired up my new $3.99 Falcon disc last night. I had forgotten how much fun this thing can be, after having been away for a few years. I have a boxed set won on Ebay but it's been three days since it closed and I'm not getting replies to my emails. I'm probably screwed again. \:\(

But anyway, I installed one of the two discs I bought yesterday, and after patching to 1.08 the HUD was almost unreadable. I finally just uninstalled, and reinstalled without 1.08 and played for hours without a CTD.

Can't wait until the new box is in.

I just wish people would stop screwing me on Ebay. \:\(

Minh

#338064 - 08/17/05 12:02 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
the patches are still eluding me
I plugged "Falcon 4 patches" into Google and got seven or eight websites with detailed info on upgrade paths. You'll get plenty of info this way, whether you just want to patch to 1.08 and RP5, or upgrade to one of the super paks.

Minh

#338065 - 12/04/05 01:30 AM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm interested in dusting this thing off myself, after letting it gather dust for years.

I'm running XP... I d/led SP42, but it's no go...screen goes black, and the 3D Output process is listed as "not responding", forcing a reboot.

Waht do I need to get this up/stable under XP? thanks!

#338066 - 07/26/06 06:51 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
petesnook Offline
petesnook  Offline

I'm just getting back into Falcon 4, and would like to get up-to-date with the enhancements etc, but would prefer to stick to the original avionices, controls, keys etc so I can just work through the original manual....what would be the best way to go ?
Cheers.

#338067 - 07/28/06 07:22 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
Krunk Offline
Krunk  Offline

Some of you looking for patches, might try looking here: http://www.freefalcon.com

#338068 - 10/01/06 10:58 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
tony draper Offline
Hotshot
tony draper  Offline
Hotshot

newcastle/united kingdom
Hi People read this thread with interest like Mr Sopwith I have jus reinstalled Falcon4 after many years away from sims,this is the origional Falcon 4 bought the day it came out,I gather there have been many changes since and am somewhat puzzled.
I downloaded the 1.8 patch and installed that,is the 1.8US patch different from the 1.8 patch?.
I copied this list of suggested updates and will try and find and download em.

=======================
- 1.08us patch
- HiTiles
- Donut's Sky Fix
- Paul Wilson's V3.0 cockpit
- AMAXSoundFiles
Now running xp on a AMD DUAL CORE 4.6 with one gig of ram
Hmmm, jus done a google search and found the HiTiles but none of the others.

#338069 - 10/02/06 09:52 PM Re: Back in the saddle, where to begin?  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Head over to http://www.frugalsworld.com and the Falcon 4 forum there - it is far more active than here for Falcon 4.0 related stuff like this.

Your best bet would be one of the following:

SP 4.2 + BMS 2.0 and all the trimmings

or

FreeFalcon 3.1 + Cobra

or

that other variant that we aren't allowed to speak of.. initials OF...

Your system can run all 3 perfectly.

You are in for a HUGE treat! You'll be amazed at how much it has improved from the original. Just for laughs I loaded up the original and compared it and it was very impressive.

Getting ahold of Freefalcon is pretty easy - plus Aragorn has a rockin' install guide for it...

I honestly prefer SP 4.2 + BMS 2.0 over Freefalcon for realism, but Freefalcon is prettier - except for the sky (though JanHas's clouds are sweet) - the gradation/time of day change I think is better implemented in SP 4.2 + BMS. Lazystone just released new clouds for SP 4.2 and OF - they are incredible!

And that other one.. OF - is probably the coolest of them all - not to mention realistic etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.