Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3492160 - 01/11/12 09:29 AM Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
Guys, I need yet another help. I finally get the download finished after almost a week on and off process using utorrent. The setup recognized the original F4 CD, asked me where I'd want to install the sim. The next thing came up was a window asking to put update files into the setup folder and restart the install process. The NEXT button was disabled. Now what? What update file it meant? Where can I get them from? I read their FAQ, the FAQ here, asked google..no answer. Do I have to install original F4 first and install BMS over it? If so, then I'm in no luck. Got the ori CD cheap (around 2 USD) in pretty bad shape. No box, no manual, cracked case, dirty cd. It wouldn't go past 25% when I tried to install it. Thanks.

"It ebbs and flows, shipmate. A hot woman and a cold beer will put all this in proper perspective."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3492225 - 01/11/12 01:22 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
lafeeverted Offline
lafeeverted  Offline

NJ, USA
You do not need to insdtall F4, only point the BMS installer to the location of the F4 exe file. If it is in your cd drive, point it there.

" Aim small, miss small. Boys. Samuel. Steady"
#3492228 - 01/11/12 01:29 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
This is what the said window looks like:

As you can see, the Next button is disabled, leaving me not much option at all.

Looking at the message again, I think the problem could be solved by letting the installer to find and download the updates automatically, but with this kind of internet connection it's just impossible. I wasted almost an hour just trying to upload the screenshot above. And unlike the installer itself, I don't think the auto updater would let me pause to download again next time. I can't turn on my PC for days until it completes the update.
Any known workaround to bypass this window? I don't mind playing an outdated version, I just want to have a functional 3D cockpit and playing around with the F/A-18 and the aircraft carrier..
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again.

"It ebbs and flows, shipmate. A hot woman and a cold beer will put all this in proper perspective."
#3492234 - 01/11/12 01:35 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: lafeeverted]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
Originally Posted By: lafeeverted
You do not need to insdtall F4, only point the BMS installer to the location of the F4 exe file. If it is in your cd drive, point it there.

I have done that, lafeeverted. Otherwise the installer wouldn't even let me choose the install path. But then it says I need to put some update files into the installer folder before it will continue with the install process.

BTW, it's just my browser or the pic above is invisible? It's just a tiny white box here. Just in case, here's the direct link to the screenshot:
http://api.ning.com/files/hJaLaK714j5EC1...S1iy7/Helpp.jpg

#3492281 - 01/11/12 02:36 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
lafeeverted Offline
lafeeverted  Offline

NJ, USA
http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/showt...he-installation

looks like you are in Indonesia?

see if this helps

Last edited by lafeeverted; 01/11/12 02:36 PM.

#3492311 - 01/11/12 03:23 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
lafeeverted (damn, your nickname is hard to spell :D), thanks for your assistance. Well, I first tried to install BMS in my Windows 7 64bit. That OS was setup with Japanese locale.
I just tried installing BMS in Windows XP SP3 (32bit) with US locale, connected to the internet (the new modem software runs buggy in Vista/7 so I can only go online with XP..talk about pro software..). When it reached that troubled window, it automatically connected to the internet. However, all it did was checking the integrity of the installer (turns out the "update" file it mentioned was the installer itself!). After sometime (I bet you Americans with lightning-speed connection wouldn't even notice this process WinkNGrin), the setup continued the installation smoothly and without further drama.
I don't know whether we do have to be connected to the internet to install BMS or was it because my Win7's Japanese locale. But the problem's solved now.
It still have the no-sound problem, but I think I saw the workaround for that somewhere over here; I'll search right away. The instruments and MFDs are hard to read in 1024x768 res, too, and it's an FPS hog! But it looks so pretty. I think I'll spend the next view days tinkering with this new toy. If someone think I'm missing, you'll know where I am tuner

Thanks again for your help.

#3492316 - 01/11/12 03:29 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
lafeeverted Offline
lafeeverted  Offline

NJ, USA
Glad you got it installed. Therre are some sttings thast will improve the MFD's a bit, I find that they are hard to read unless you are zoomed in on them a bit, then they are crystal clear. Good luck, say good-bye to your friends for a while, hehe!

You will find a lot more infromation and answers to many questions here, http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/forum.php

Last edited by lafeeverted; 01/11/12 03:31 PM.

#3495736 - 01/16/12 05:35 AM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
Let me rant a little about this BMS stuff. Since this is a rather useless post, I guess I'll just do it here rather than making a new thread.

So, I tried BMS for I don't know how many hours. In the end I concluded that it's no good, and go back to Falcon 4 AF.
Before you think I'm trolling around, let me say it now that it's no good in a different way..
I think what I like the most from this package is the new flight dynamics. It feels more convincing now. More difficult to handle, but strangely, I can land better. Heck, now I can even stick with the tanker when it's turning! I always wobble around and got disconnected when the tanker turns in AF. I don't know how I can pull this off now with a more difficult flight dynamics.
Of course, I don't even have to mention the improved graphics, 3d pit, and all the bells and whistles they put into the avionics.
Now, talk about 3D pit.. that's where my problem with BMS came from..a game killing one at that. I found BMS eliminates the Situational Awareness bar I'm so dependent on in AF. Not being a TrackIR user, I really need the padlock view AND SA bar to both keep track of the threats AND keep me from having a spatial disorientation.
In BMS, especially in a knife fight with a fighter, once I padlocked him, most often than not I have no idea where I'm now looking at. Even the canopy cue is less visible now (though it's less ugly). The result of this is: I lost countless of battles, yet only one of them is caused directly by the enemy's weapon. The rest, I simply had a spatial disorientation after padlocking, and went straight to terra firma.
I never knew how precious is that ugly SA bar for me until I flew BMS.
So, AF goes back to duty and BMS is shelved securely for now. One day I'll buy that darn TrackIR, and BMS will be a permanent resident of my harddrive real estate.

Rants off. Thank you. hahaha

#3495981 - 01/16/12 06:04 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
Kosmo. Offline
Kosmo.  Offline

Greece
What's the SA bar?

#3496026 - 01/16/12 07:01 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
Situational Awareness Bar. You know, press Shift-3 (in AF) and this bar will appear on the left portion of your monitor.
Like in the picture on this page

#3496138 - 01/16/12 09:51 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Yeah you need TIR. It's the best purchase you'll make for simming besides your HOTAS. You'll be kicking yourself why you didn't get it earlier.

In fact, I could probably live without my WH and fly with a MS Sidewinder or some other crappy joystick but I'd rather play a different genre of game altogether than fly without TIR.

PS: AAR is one of the aspects I do not like about BMS. There's a helper code that keeps you hooked up. It's unrealistic and plain annoying as it can screw up your approach speeds when you're used to doing it manually. Hope they get rid of it in the next patch.

#3496516 - 01/17/12 02:46 PM Re: Falcon4 BMS 4.32 Setup asking for update files [Re: magicalflyer]  
Kosmo. Offline
Kosmo.  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: magicalflyer
Situational Awareness Bar. You know, press Shift-3 (in AF) and this bar will appear on the left portion of your monitor.
Like in the picture on this page

Ok that's what I thought, just wasn't sure it was called that. Well I imagine you have tried it in BMS, its still there but has been reworked and that little rectangle showing where you are looking is not there anymore. Beyond that, I will also vouch for TIR being probably more important even than a HOTAS. Hope you get it soon, even if you don't go back to BMS, TIR is awesome. It is even awesome in ARMA and other games.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.