Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3776026 - 05/01/13 03:54 PM Custom switches using keyboard emulator?  
GDZeek Offline
GDZeek  Offline

Lancaster, CA, USA
I'm working on making a keyboard emulator from old key board parts which should do the job but I dont know how to handle controls that are traditionally managed by switches

for example landing gear is controlled by pressing the "g" key, however I want to make it switch activated. But hooking up a switch in place of the key will mean the computer will recognize it as holding down the "g" key while the switch is on. does anyone know how I can remedy this situation? possibly building some kind of microcontroller that lets the emulator know that a switch means to send a signal just once? or are there switches available that appear to be switches but actually function more like push buttons?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3776150 - 05/01/13 08:04 PM Re: Custom switches using keyboard emulator? [Re: GDZeek]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi,

You do get things like toggle and rocker switches that are spring loaded to stay in the middle position. When you force them one way or the other you make a contact. When you then release it, it will return to the middle off position.

The type of switch is often referred to as a (mom) - off - (mom)

The other alternative is to make up a small circuit that produces a short closure of a solid state relay which becomes your key switch replacement whenever a switch attached to it changes position. In this situation you'd use an (on) - (on) switch.

GrizzlyT has a circuit and PCB layout on his site here:

http://home.comcast.net/~timothyboldt/relay.html

I'm quite sure he wouldn't mind you using it.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#3776418 - 05/02/13 11:37 AM Re: Custom switches using keyboard emulator? [Re: GDZeek]  
XRay_Specs Offline
Seer of the Unseen... SA6
XRay_Specs  Offline
Seer of the Unseen... SA6

Tokyo, Japan
What Andy said, but you might want to consider whether you actually need a momentary switch - DCS for example has no problem with continuous inputs from switches.

(Granted, I don't know much about keyboard-based setups and the complexities of using matrixed keys, but just thought I'd try and cut a potential Gordian knot for you)

Edit: To elaborate a bit, check out the control options to see if there are "gear up" and "gear down" inputs instead of just "toggle gear." If there's just "gear up" and you're using an ON-OFF switch, you'll just need a bit of simple .lua editing to make the "OFF" setting recognized as "gear down."

Last edited by XRay_Specs; 05/02/13 11:40 AM.
#3777030 - 05/03/13 05:34 PM Re: Custom switches using keyboard emulator? [Re: AndyB]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Originally Posted By: AndyB

...The other alternative is to make up a small circuit ...GrizzlyT has a circuit and PCB layout on his site...I'm quite sure he wouldn't mind you using it....
Andy

Not at all....It was just my take on a schematic that has been floating around for awhile.

BTW - You can actually take the "circuit" option in two directions.
The first is the relay based circuit that Andy already pointed out. The alternative is an optocoupler based circuit.

I started doing some work on that, too. You can find it here. opto drawing
I played with it a bit, on a breadboard, but never etched any versions (Mostly to do with the spare parts I had laying around wink ).
So, there's only the .dwg drawing....sorry!

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.