Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3462126 - 11/26/11 01:25 AM Linux gurus!  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

What is your favorite desktop environment, and why? What functions does it have you feel are essential?

What's your favorite Linux oriented forums? Blog?

What are your favorite/must have aps?

Oh, and finally but not the least, what distro are you using/favorite, and why?

I ask because I'm using Ubuntu10 with Gnome2, but based on what I've learned the last little while, I'm thinking next time of going with Mint with an XFce desktop...seems to offer the same benefits of Ubuntu, but with a very flexible, customizable good GUI environment. And the Linux forum I go to right now is great for install/hardware/problemsolving for Ubuntu, but not so much about new programs to try, what's new, what's this or that...

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3462237 - 11/26/11 04:40 AM Re: Linux gurus! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Desktops:
I have enjoyed Gnome 2.x for years, and still use it. It's interface feels clean to use, cohesive, and easy to configure. I can build the panels into exactly what I want, and style them exactly the way I like, with no fuss. The desktop feels like an elegant and "one piece" workplace, from the panels to the windows.

When I used Gnome 3, none of the above was true. More clicks to do the same actions, a disconnected feeling between the dash, window UI elements, and even the desktop in the default configuration, and I was not able to configure much of anything out of the box. A small "editor" application allowed a few UI changes, but the vast majority of the UI was set in concrete. Unfortunately for me, I did not like that default design

I've used KDE 3.5, and my issue there was that the environment felt like it was made of hundreds of obviously separate parts. That, and I never had any success getting GTK applications to look good at all under Qt. There were some fixes, but I still felt that my favorite GTK applications were among the most ugly GUI under Qt that I have ever seen.

Have yet to use KDE4. I never did invest the time after my experiences with KDE 3.5.

XFCE 4.6 was very comfortable and like Gnome 2.x, straight forward and configurable. It was not nearly as full featured. Last XFCE I used was 4.6, which had no support for network access through the file manager. Apparently the latest XFCE 4.8 now includes this. Given this one feature, I would be generally happy with XFCE as my primary desktop environment. I do recall some downsides, in particular the unrefined editing process for the XFCE menu (at least as of 4.6), and due to the smaller user base, a lack of some software that Gnome or KDE enjoys, such as the great integration between Seahorse (GNUPG encryption) and gedit. In fact I think I had to use the terminal to encrypt and decrypt my files under XFCE 4.6, at least on that configuration.

Applications:
Mozilla SeaMonkey Suite for browser, mail, and contacts. Audacity for audio editing. Brasero is a fast and easy part of archiving my home movies on video DVD. Gotta love gedit too, tabbed interface, Seahorse GNUPG integration, and configurable styles.

I read no Linux blogs or forums unless I need to know something to solve a problem.

Running openSUSE 11.4 here, because it'll let me keep my Gnome 2.x desktop and favorite apps with support for a while longer. As the distro comes to EOS, I'll consider where I'll go. Right now it seems likely something with XFCE on top, maybe openSUSE. It's been a good package. If I choose to try KDE 4.x, I'd have a few choices including Mepis, which also was very good while I ran it.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3462449 - 11/26/11 04:21 PM Re: Linux gurus! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I'm running Mint,Gnome. I also like Open SUSE, and they seemed pretty similar. Tried Ubuntu, Fedora and a couple of others, but Mint is the one I settled on. Not doing anything special with it, it's just on my netbook alongside XP.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.