Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3431959 - 11/11/11 08:37 PM Touch and goes are good for the soul.  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Really, they are.

Jim (who owns the Champ) took some pictures the last time I flew, but I didn't have a thumb drive with me to get them. Today when I went up for my hour of psychotherapy I remembered to bring one.

In fact, I didn't know he was taking them at the time - he wanted pictures of it landing and went out with his camera. Normally an audience is bad juju, but maybe since I didn't know he (and the other airport guys) were out there it went well.

Eyes on the far end of the runway....

Let it settle...

Rumble-rumble-rumble...

WHAT? No bounce?

And at the center of the runway? Naw...

Let's try that again, it went far too well!

(on another pass)

smile

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3432088 - 11/11/11 11:22 PM Re: Touch and goes are good for the soul. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Ya - hooooooo !

Well done buddy.

What is the touchdown speed on that ? Rated stall speed ?

Nice yellow airplane.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3432100 - 11/11/11 11:40 PM Re: Touch and goes are good for the soul. [Re: Dart]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I'm jealous - I haven't been at the controls of a real plane in years, and never was able to get my license.

The first time I ever flew in an airplane it was in the Champ my Dad had at the time. We took off from a frozen Lake Hood on skis.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3432325 - 11/12/11 08:36 AM Re: Touch and goes are good for the soul. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Nicely done Dart. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3432463 - 11/12/11 02:57 PM Re: Touch and goes are good for the soul. [Re: Dart]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
:green with envy smiley:

Nicely done Dart!

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3436862 - 11/18/11 08:29 PM Re: Touch and goes are good for the soul. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I had talked the wife into flying with me, but then told her she couldn't come - winds predicted at 12 gusting to 14 would make for a miserable first flight in a Champ!

Not that it stopped me, though. I took the camera with me and just shot randomly out of the open left window and the closed right one, as I had to fly the plane!

I hate waiting! But Jim was teaching a student and making money two ways at once (as an instructor and renting me the Champ). It was an almost perfect crosswind, but slight - the advertised winds hadn't come to pass.

I put the tail to the runway and did pre-flight checks, turned, and rumbled out after they took off.

He went north to the practice area up yonder, so I went to the east.

Pretty chilly to be on the water, IMHO.

But then again, it sure was pretty!

I stayed clear of the Talledega race track:

And just flew around, enjoying the sites. Pretty good job on the ground tile set, though the fields should have bigger hedgerows:

I felt pretty good just tooling around, though when I slipped once the air came through the window it was kind of chilly. Well, I guess it was!

The wind wasn't as bad as predicted on take off, but I could tell things were gusting up based on being bumped around; my decision to leave the redhead at home was the right one. I used an Alabama windsock to get an update on the wind:

Hmmm, that would be what to the runway?

Well, straight across, of course! Switched over to the weather radio and heard wind at 11 from 110. Runway is 3/21. Dealer's choice! I picked 3 just because.

Out and around and into the pattern, taking a closer look at that fire on the way:

Landing was fun! I took the Champ left, then right, then left and then swooshie dippy swoosh to the right, gave her a little throttle and wound up with a really pretty wheel landing right down the center! Suprised me in that the main just kissed the runway.

Oh, now that rocked! Up and around for another!

Lots of burbly crap on final and then the wind just gave up at the numbers; I three pointed without any fuss. Humph. Up and around!

I heard Jim and his student coming in and knew I had plenty of time; it also confirmed my hour was about done.

Three pointed it with zero drama and got off the runway at the first turn off past the numbers, just in time to see Jim's student do a two-fer. Just weird, though, how my last landing was without having to do anything pilot-y.

We settled up the bill, chatted, and I had to stop and take a picture of the windsock. No wonder that last landing was cake!

Oh, and she stalls around 35 or so, at least with my skinny butt in the plane.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3436869 - 11/18/11 08:34 PM Re: Touch and goes are good for the soul. [Re: Dart]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Great photos, it looks like a lot of fun!

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3437228 - 11/19/11 11:01 AM Re: Touch and goes are good for the soul. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
You caught me for a minute with the "Alabama wind sock" statement. Cool pictures.
Looking at that thermometer even makes me cold sitting in this nice warm house. BRRR...

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3437263 - 11/19/11 01:38 PM Re: Touch and goes are good for the soul. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I have never flown without somebody around setting fire to something! It gets disconcerting when the smoke disagrees, though.

It really is amazing how much smoke a little leaf or trash fire puts out, or how far one can see it.

Oddly enough I only feel hot or cold outside of a hangar. Open the door and lemme just look at an aircraft I'm about to fly and temperature becomes irrelevant beyond the oil temperature gauge.

This summer I had salt streaks on my shirt and didn't notice until I got home. This (and last) winter a couple of loose layers is all I need.

I did wear a jacket, though.

Last edited by Dart; 11/19/11 01:42 PM.

From Laser:

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.