Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4011949 - 09/19/14 07:47 PM Change from CH to Warthog?  
74Capt Offline
74Capt  Offline

Florence, SC
Thinking about changing from my current CH setup to a Warthog. I use to be a Thrustmaster diehard until the Cougar came along and turned into a nightmare. Switch to CH and have been very satisfied. But here lately have been looking at the Warthog and wondering how it works right out of the box and if there are any long term issues that need to be addressed?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4012008 - 09/19/14 10:05 PM Re: Change from CH to Warthog? [Re: 74Capt]  
OldBuzzard Offline
OldBuzzard  Offline

USA, East Coast
I've been using a Warthog for about 2 months now and have been very happy with it. No harder than any other HOTAS to configure and even the default configs in most games have not required a lot of changes.

A little background, I had a original Thrustmaster HOTAS back in the day and took about a 10 year break from serious simming. After picking it back up, I had a Logitech 3D extreme for awhile, which was fine for what I was doing with FSX, RoF, and IL2 but I recently picked up DCS and decided to get another HOTAS. After doing the research I decided to go with the Warthog.

The one thing that really sticks out is that both the stick and throttle are HEAVY and solidly made. They remind me of the industrial equipment I deal with at work. The stick is aluminum on a nice wide aluminum base. The throttle is also on a solid aluminum base with the throttle itself being of hard plastic. Switches are nice and solid as well. Although I've not had it very long, I've used it almost every day and have not seen any signs of problems. When I was doing my research, I did come across some complaints of manufacturing issues but they seemed to be cleared up.

The only negatives, It is a heavy stick and took some getting used to. After a few hours of heavy use it does tend to get noticeable. Also, the hat switches on the throttle are kind of weak compared to everything else. I use those mostly for moving the targeting piper around and designating targets which means I'm usually a bit heavy on them. I'm betting if anything gives me trouble in the future but it might be them.

Coming from a existing HOTAS setup to the Warthog it may be hard to justify the price vs. increased functionality but I must say I've been very happy with mine.

Cheers,

OB

#4012048 - 09/20/14 12:16 AM Re: Change from CH to Warthog? [Re: 74Capt]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
I have two Warthogs and they are wonderful for flying the DCS A-10C. WC recommended.

That said, the throttle doesn't have axis controls for some other a/c -- for instance there is nothing to map an F-15's Antenna and Elevation axis to, so I am looking at an additional controller for these functions.

I made a desktop 'cockpit' and mounted my Warthogs to them.

WC

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.