Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3408513 - 10/12/11 07:01 AM TM Warthog and non-flight games  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

I am unable to play non-flight games with my TM Warthog plugged in. Examples are Battlefield 3 and BFBC2. When I enter, the gun is constantly shooting. I have moved every switch to the "off" position, but something is still causing the in-game gun to fire. My only temporary work around is to disable the devices or simply unplug it. Anyone else experience this and/or have a fix? Thanks.

Chaz

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3408571 - 10/12/11 11:38 AM Re: TM Warthog and non-flight games [Re: Chaz]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Do you have a 'TARGET' profile enabled or are you attempting to use it as a Windows controller? I'm not sure about BF3 as the beta is obviously now closed....the weird thing about the beta and key mappings was that although you could change key bindings I couldn't find a way to delete an existing entry....this meant you have to go in and change almost every key mapping just to get a few keys that you wanted to specifically map otherwise the same key would be throwing frags, going prone etc with a single press.

I can certainly have a look at BFBC2 with my Warthog to see if I get similar behaviour. At work now so will be this evening before I can try it.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3408620 - 10/12/11 01:17 PM Re: TM Warthog and non-flight games [Re: Chaz]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
Chaz, do you have a TARGET profile running? I have been playing both BFBC2 and BF3 with no problems, TMWH plugged in, but no profile loaded. I usually use the WH in "DirectX" mode ala DCS A-10C plug and play.

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3409390 - 10/13/11 03:44 PM Re: TM Warthog and non-flight games [Re: Chaz]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

I think I've got it working properly. TARGET was never running. Just plug and play. The gun no longer fires constantly in BFBC2, but can't say the same about BF3 since the beta is over and I wont know until the 25th when the retail version is out. Thanks again.

#3410933 - 10/15/11 08:31 PM Re: TM Warthog and non-flight games [Re: Chaz]  
snjL Offline
snjL  Offline

Is the warthog a good joystick for theese kind of games? I mean, im going to play BF3 no doubt. But will it give me an advantage or disadvantage using Joystick? If im used to play with joystick for example.

#3410988 - 10/15/11 09:59 PM Re: TM Warthog and non-flight games [Re: Chaz]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

Is it a better joystick than a much cheaper one for battlefield? Probably not. I wouldn't buy it unless you are using it for real sims and then it comes in to its own, especially dcs a10.

I have a cheaper Logitech 3d something for my pc that I do the fps games on. It does everything I need for those types of games.

The warthog is much better stick for sure but it wont get you better scores in battlefield.

Last edited by metalnwood; 10/15/11 10:00 PM.
#3411336 - 10/16/11 03:14 PM Re: TM Warthog and non-flight games [Re: Chaz]  
snjL Offline
snjL  Offline

That wasnt really my point. Maybe i asked the question in a stupid way. There are players flying in bf with keyboard only and keyboard+mouse. Would a joystick do better or worse? Not specificly this joystick, but any joystick at all.. When ur used to it, will it help you to be superior in the air or is the keyboard+mouse a better setup?

#3411447 - 10/16/11 07:23 PM Re: TM Warthog and non-flight games [Re: snjL]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Originally Posted By: snjL
That wasnt really my point. Maybe i asked the question in a stupid way. There are players flying in bf with keyboard only and keyboard+mouse. Would a joystick do better or worse? Not specificly this joystick, but any joystick at all.. When ur used to it, will it help you to be superior in the air or is the keyboard+mouse a better setup?

Not flying an aircraft with a flight stick, even ones with very simplified models like in the Battlefield series, is worse than playing an FPS without a mouse.

That's how important it is to at least have a basic flight stick with the four basic axes (pitch, roll, throttle, yaw) and a hat switch. At least start yourself off with something like a Microsoft SideWinder Force-Feedback 2 or Thrustmaster T.16000-M, and worry about full-fledged HOTAS setups later when you have the cash.

#3411521 - 10/16/11 09:32 PM Re: TM Warthog and non-flight games [Re: NamelessPFG]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG
Originally Posted By: snjL

Not flying an aircraft with a flight stick, even ones with very simplified models like in the Battlefield series, is worse than playing an FPS without a mouse.

That's how important it is to at least have a basic flight stick with the four basic axes (pitch, roll, throttle, yaw) and a hat switch. At least start yourself off with something like a Microsoft SideWinder Force-Feedback 2 or Thrustmaster T.16000-M, and worry about full-fledged HOTAS setups later when you have the cash.

I feel the same as I am used to using a joystick. Using a mouse sucks for me, far less control. Having said that, there are some people who fly very well with a KB mouse.

With BF2 and 1942 it was great. I used to set the throttle on the stick to hover and then use the w/s keys to control my height. The bc2 doesnt let you do that and I have heard that the joystick control for bf3 will not be as good as the earlier BF series either.

Another option that a lot of people use for BS if an xbox360 controller. Not my cup of tea but if you like xbox style controllers a lot of people are good pilots on BF with them. A stick is more authentic but BF is not really a sim. If it's only for fps's then a xbox controller sits on the desk behind your keyboard a lot easier than a bulky joystick.

Last edited by metalnwood; 10/16/11 09:34 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.