Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3150109 - 12/05/10 02:40 AM Think my cougar has finally died  
Wombat1940 Offline
Wombat1940  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Windows just doesn't see it when I plug it in.

Pity, as I was getting back into F4AF (apart from being a avid TAW2.0 pilot).

Maybe time for a break and do other things.

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz/8Gb RAM chip set (only 3.5Gb available with XP & 32bit system), NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 video card, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, OS XP Home SP3, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.
XP Home SP3, Running Falcon 4AF, 1.013 Patch, High Tiles (winter).
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3150112 - 12/05/10 02:57 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Darren Offline
Darren  Offline

Hi Wombat.

Yeah I sat up all night with my throttle open trying to fix the stickyness of the throttle but I think it's the pot that has died and I need to get Cubpilots mod.

I'm getting a jump in the analyser-throttle doesn't register until I move the control nearly half way(control movement) then it's ok until 42 percent(reading on joy analyser) then it jumps to 60 percent on the analyser plus I have to loosen the tension all the way ,otherwise it sticks.Fuel flow moves in increments of 1000 in Falcon AF.
Frustrating the life out of me.

Nearly had it kissing pavement concrete last night.

The only trouble is,I'm not very good with my hands(well have played drums since the age of 7)and I'm terrified of screwing it up.

In hindsight,I was umming and ahhing about whether to get the Ch stuff or the Cougar and I made a mistake.

I was one of the unlucky ones to have it broken on arrival-my stick connector in the base wasn't glued properly.

Having said that,my Cougar has been in storoage for about 3 years and the stick pot is still working like new.

But it does leave a sour taste in your mouth to try Thrustmaster products again.

If You are brilliant with electronics and are a keen handyman,this stick will be fine.

But if you want it great out of the box,prepare for heartache.

I gave up simming for 3 years because of my dead Cougar.

The stock throttle pot is just rubbish.

They really cut corners with that.

LMAO if I one day open the stick and it's the same pot hehe.

Last edited by Darren; 12/05/10 03:01 AM.
#3150117 - 12/05/10 02:59 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Darren Offline
Darren  Offline

Wombat,usually a replugin without throttle attached and hold the trigger and keep it held while you plug it into it's usb port but you probably knew that anyway.

Last edited by Darren; 12/05/10 03:04 AM.
#3150127 - 12/05/10 03:17 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Darren]  
Wombat1940 Offline
Wombat1940  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Darren. My 'stick and throttle are glued to the table so its safe in relationship to the concrete ..... WinkNGrin

It must be at least 8 years old and was the successor to a FLCS and TQS.

The Cougar has just been great never missed a beat. I'd be happy to go and buy another one. Nothing has the same feel and Foxy is just sensational. But I'm biased. WinkNGrin

Just amazed me how it just stopped, although it has required constant re-flashing lately.

I replaced the pots in my FLCS and it was no real big problem. Just got setup properly and bit of soldering and it was done.

It diagnosing the problem (not the effect but the cause) that's hard. And that maybe, just maybe, the problem with my cougar.

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz/8Gb RAM chip set (only 3.5Gb available with XP & 32bit system), NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 video card, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, OS XP Home SP3, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.
#3150142 - 12/05/10 03:50 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Darren Offline
Darren  Offline

I have a hate/hate relationship.

Remember going into Frugals and reading about it and seeing pictures and I saved and saved to get one.

Then It arrived,plugged it inand it didn't work and It still doesn't work.

I hated the feel of the throttle and those awful clicks of the detents were the dob of cheap icing on top.

I should've in hindsight gone for the CH stuff but I fell for the hype.

Looking inside the throttle,the pot is tiny like a 50 cent job and the parts are plastic.

I will truly love it when one day I can get the CH stuff and then I will get out 3 years of frustration by throwing the thing against a wall.

Number 28,962 MIA.

#3150213 - 12/05/10 10:50 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Darren]  
Wombat1940 Offline
Wombat1940  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Well that is disappointing. I've never seem my Cougar that way. Externally all the components are metal. Its behaved robustly and has never really let me down. Shame for you, particularly as if hasn't measured up from the start. Trouble is I don't know where you go to get help. Its not like a PC, where you take it back to the supplier to fix. I'm not even sure they have an Australian wholesaler/retail (for me that is) to take it to. I know with my FLCS I dealt directly with TM who mailed me the replacement pots.

In regard to "holding trigger and plugging in USB" I've tried that with no success. But I had the throttle attached so will try it with out the throttle and see if that works. Its such an unusual fix. Most peripherals to a computer you can see if they are powered up. With the cougar you have pull the plug then re-plug and hope that it powered up.

#3150597 - 12/06/10 03:23 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Darren Offline
Darren  Offline

Wombat,when fixing your Cougar,where did you buy the pots from?

Was thinking maybe a trip to Jaycar could be the answer.

#3150602 - 12/06/10 03:30 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Darren Offline
Darren  Offline

Just won some elite pedals on ebay so I'm gonna stick with the Cougar and try to mend our relationship.

#3150679 - 12/06/10 06:45 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Darren]  
Wombat1940 Offline
Wombat1940  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
I think ....... its a long time ago ...... direct from TM (in France or Sydney maybe). All by email and website. They (he) was very helpful and I think I got them for free.

You've made your decision to buy the Cougar so ....... sorry ....... stop wingeing about it and try and fix it. The trouble with my FLCS and its spiking, I kept hoping it would fix itself. It didn't. So I explored all the option, forums, web sites, searches, etc. In my case I pulled out the FLCS and in the meantime went back to my old Sidewinder. hahaha
If it is the pots then look for non TM replacements. Just keep looking, searching, etc
Good luck.

Last edited by Wombat1940; 12/06/10 06:46 AM.

#3150725 - 12/06/10 10:44 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Darren Offline
Darren  Offline

Well I discovered some awesome info on the viperpit website scouring through the cougar mods pages and came up with a thread about throttle calibration issues.

I tried the solution which was to clear the windows calibration in the HOTAS Cleanse App and now my throttle isn't spiking or showing half it's movement anymore.

I ran HOTAS Cleanse under the Cougar tab in Foxy then in the next applet,chose Erase Windows Calibration,then I put her in auto calibration mode,unplugged then replugged the usb connector and my throttle is back!

Smooth all the way.

O'man.

This thing is so deep.

It's got more brains than me. screwy

I have to keep up with it. duh

P.S.

I just manually calibrated her and booted Falcon AF up.
When I went to the set up screen,my throttle was playing up again and then it dawned on me.
It was Jagstangs idle and afterburner settings utility which sets little idle and afterburner stops in the throttle's movement.
I decided to erase those statements in the profile and she's back to normal again.
Sheesh.

Last edited by Darren; 12/06/10 11:07 AM.
#3150862 - 12/06/10 02:58 PM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Darren, I'm sorry you are having so many problems...

I've had my Cougar for many years with lots of flight time. Over this last year and a half she has started to show her age and use... I've had to replace a set of gimbals and two pots (One the throttle, and one the Y axis pot). When the Y axis gimbal broke, it took the pot with it (Sudden force destroyed it when the gimbal snapped). Sadly, I didn't know it at the time so when I had put everything back together I was getting bad spiking on the pot that wasn't there before the gimbal broke! I thought somehow I didn't put the gimbal assembly back together right, but eventually I found out it was the pot (Tho it was fine before the gimbal broke...) I was pulling my hair out to no end... But now all is well! biggrin

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#3150872 - 12/06/10 03:14 PM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

I personally loved Jagstang's profile overall, but could never deal with the throttle mapping, so I either (forget which now) adjusted that portion heavily to my own liking or (more likely) simply commented it out.

I also used manual calibration only. Didn't want it recalibrating every time it had been without power. But then, I always flew mine with a force mod and didn't move it "to the stops" every time I flew it.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
#3151312 - 12/07/10 01:28 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Darren]  
Wombat1940 Offline
Wombat1940  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Darren
Well I discovered some awesome info on the viperpit website scouring through the cougar mods pages and came up with a thread about throttle calibration issues.

I tried the solution which was to clear the windows calibration in the HOTAS Cleanse App and now my throttle isn't spiking or showing half it's movement anymore.

I ran HOTAS Cleanse under the Cougar tab in Foxy then in the next applet,chose Erase Windows Calibration,then I put her in auto calibration mode,unplugged then replugged the usb connector and my throttle is back!

Smooth all the way.

When I went to the set up screen,my throttle was playing up again and then it dawned on me.
It was Jagstangs idle and afterburner settings utility which sets little idle and afterburner stops in the throttle's movement.
I decided to erase those statements in the profile and she's back to normal again.
Sheesh.

The above is all very interesting. Remember I have a (or should I say, a partly resurrected biggrin ) "dead Cougar" which if I can get some advice and direction maybe I can fully resurrect it.

I now have the Joystick working (just) but the throttle keeps loosing two axis working the microstick. No details ........ it just boring. WinkNGrin

Also I have Jagstang's profile installed. Because (maybe a bit like you) to understand and tweek it to my needs (just very simple tweeks: ie. moving wheel steering to another throttle axis) is just about impossible. All these DX, { }, ; : "no rudders" things, makes it impossible. I've alway written my own profile in the past. They've been simple (bit like me) but manageable. Unless you import a profile and make no changes you are up against it. That is unless you want to become a TM/CH/Saitek wizen profile writer. I don't. I want to fly. Practice ramp starts, get into missions, campaigns, multiplay. Maybe I should go back to my Sidewinder ...... WinkNGrin

Enough said. My question: where was this "....... viperpit website scouring through the cougar mods pages and came up with a thread about throttle calibration issues......"

#3151346 - 12/07/10 02:45 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Darren Offline
Darren  Offline

Viperpit.org Wombat.

Some amazing pics of virtual cockpits in there.

Still I think the main thing they are missing is movement.

I can't afford all that stuff but if I could ,I'd probably go crazy with it.

I saw some industrious chap on youtube hook up 2 fans to voltage regulators, one on each side of his monitors to get the wind in the hair feeling.

Flight simmers don't beat around the bush. tomcat

#3151437 - 12/07/10 05:14 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Wombat1940 Offline
Wombat1940  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Thanks. This is interesting if you haven't see it before. http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/faqinstall.php I'm also over at the 72nd forum. Reading a great thread by Toad re: Microstick problems.

#3151568 - 12/07/10 02:07 PM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Wombat1940 Offline
Wombat1940  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Darren, I don't know how current this is

http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/sales.php

but others here may let us know or give us alternative suppliers

#3152642 - 12/07/10 11:21 PM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
Cali Offline
Military Advisor - USAF
Cali  Offline
Military Advisor - USAF

Davis-Monthan AFB, Az
Originally Posted By: Wombat1940
Thanks. This is interesting if you haven't see it before. http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/faqinstall.php I'm also over at the 72nd forum. Reading a great thread by Toad re: Microstick problems.

That link is for XP and older OS. If you have Vista or Windows 7 64-bit use this http://cubpilotshangar.net/page105.html

i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard

#3153425 - 12/09/10 12:40 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Wombat1940]  
SAPPER Offline
SAPPER  Offline

Portugal
If you go to Viperpits, and PM REDDOG he may be able to help you I think he has some cougar parts microsticks, Antena Pots, and Other Pots for the setup I belive.
I have read some time ago about someone whose Cougar PCB really died, but that doesn't seem to be the case so you should be able to get it working.
Also to try the microstick axis you might want to test them on HOTAS cougar viewer but for that you have to swap the axis first in the Cougar control panel, just have the microstick axis respond to the left and right toe brake axis, if then you can see the right and left toe brake responding adequally in the viewer when you move the microstick then it should be ok, and your problem with it resides in the profiling.

#3153586 - 12/09/10 06:07 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: SAPPER]  
Wombat1940 Offline
Wombat1940  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: SAPPER
If you go to Viperpits, and PM REDDOG he may be able to help you I think he has some cougar parts microsticks, Antena Pots, and Other Pots for the setup I belive.
I have read some time ago about someone whose Cougar PCB really died, but that doesn't seem to be the case so you should be able to get it working.
Also to try the microstick axis you might want to test them on Hotas cougar viewer but for that you have to swap the axis first in the Cougar control panel, just have the microstick axis respond to the left and right toe brake axis, if then you can see the right and left toe brake responding adequally in the viewer when you move the microstick then it should be ok, and your problem with it resides in the profiling.

Thanks Sapper. I've now got it up and running again. The only problem is there is some "drift" with one of the axis using the Microstick. I have the Microstick running on Windows axis 7 and 8. As the CCP is working Ok with my setup I elected to rem the Microstick function in the Foxy Profile so that any cursor movement in the game is totally Windows generated. This off-course means using the PC mouse, but that's fine. I have also setup rudder/toe wheel movement through the Range Knob as I don't have rudder pedals. Thanks again.

#3153601 - 12/09/10 08:17 AM Re: Think my cougar has finally died [Re: Darren]  
Wombat1940 Offline
Wombat1940  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Darren

Sheesh.

Darren? How's it going. Mine's just fine, Although I deactivated the Microstick (but did it in my Foxy Profile) because it keeps "drifting". If your throttle is still playing up as you say it is, its probably the throttle pot. So why not give a new Windows axis to the Cougar throttle function. Maybe to the RX Windows axis which is column 4. You do that in the CCP by moving the Throttle + symbol (which is in column 3, the Z axis of windows), to column 4, the RX axis of Windows. That should make your ANT Knob act as the throttle. I think that's how it works, but just get the throttle function to another rotary. Remember you can test your new arrangement in the Viewer (after using "Apply") which identifies each rotatory by text. ie. RX, Y, S1 etc. Good luck. WinkNGrin

Edit: This might help:

Last edited by Wombat1940; 12/09/10 11:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.