Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3665166 - 10/18/12 04:01 PM Throttle Lever Woes  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Hey guys,

I just received my HOTAS Warthog today and trying to get into DCS A-10. Everything seems to work out of the box except one thing: Throttle movement during a cold start. Before I explain, I had this issue with other joysticks as well so it's not even specific to this throttle.

Problem is, I can't move the throttle lever at all in the cockpit. Means I can't see the radio frequency unless I get into some neck-breaking angle with my TrackIR and I can't start the engines. The throttle itself works, when I start in the air it'll work fine, other games it's fine and in Windows it's fine but moving it about just doesn't move it in the cockpit.

I tried enabling the 'sync HOTAS with cockpit on startup', trying moving it up and down fully a few times but it just won't budge. Same with my other sticks and the throttle, works everywhere else except on the ground in this plane.

I'll concede I'm a complete greenhorn and I'm just learning my way around the game so I might be missing something to unlock it perhaps? However I'm stumped, my start-up guide mentions no such thing.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3665173 - 10/18/12 04:08 PM Re: Throttle Lever Woes [Re: Sethos88]  
tomcat Offline
tomcat  Offline

Halifax, NS, Canada
Are you using the left and right start key combo without the throttle at idle? I've had mine not start (even fter following a checklist!) because the throttle was full fwd.

#3665183 - 10/18/12 04:38 PM Re: Throttle Lever Woes [Re: Sethos88]  
Melcar Offline
Melcar  Offline

Quote:
I tried enabling the 'sync HOTAS with cockpit on startup', trying moving it up and down fully a few times but it just won't budge. Same with my other sticks and the throttle, works everywhere else except on the ground in this plane.

The throttles have an "off detent" to prevent fuel flow; I think the key defaults are right Alt Home (for left throttle) Right control + home (for right throttle) to move the throttles from off to normal operation.

In order to start your engines then you will have to move those back to the off detent first - using a Right alt + end & right control + end.

Personally to manage radios I use control+0 to switch the cockpit view, then press 1 for snapview to the radio panel, then tap 0 to resume normal viewing.

#3665215 - 10/18/12 05:40 PM Re: Throttle Lever Woes [Re: Melcar]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: Melcar
Quote:

The throttles have an "off detent" to prevent fuel flow; I think the key defaults are right Alt Home (for left throttle) Right control + home (for right throttle) to move the throttles from off to normal operation.

In order to start your engines then you will have to move those back to the off detent first - using a Right alt + end & right control + end.

Personally to manage radios I use control+0 to switch the cockpit view, then press 1 for snapview to the radio panel, then tap 0 to resume normal viewing.

Ah yes, that was it. Tried pressing Home + Right alt / CTRL combo but nothing happened - Guide said so. Figured it was just a throttle thing as well, because it said move my throttle OR hit these keys. Well, hit 'em a few times and suddenly the throttle unlocked smile

Appreciate the help!

#3665263 - 10/18/12 06:46 PM Re: Throttle Lever Woes [Re: Sethos88]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Sethos88 -
Use the Snap Views to look closely at different parts of the cockpit.

For the radios -
Cntrl-Num0 to get into Snap Views,
Num1 for the radios.

Cntrl-Num0 to exit (or is it just Num0?).

I have these views programmed to my stick for easy access.

Ahh - Melcar had it!

WC

"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
#3665289 - 10/18/12 07:07 PM Re: Throttle Lever Woes [Re: Sethos88]  
Melcar Offline
Melcar  Offline

Just plain num0 gets you back to normal.

Also Num3 snapview works for the ILS/TACAN panel on the right hand side.

#3666091 - 10/19/12 09:01 PM Re: Throttle Lever Woes [Re: Sethos88]  
Hamblue Offline
Hamblue  Offline

I had the same problem and this is what I found to help me.
When starting I notice that in order for my throttle to work I had to fully cycle them to max and then to off (lifting and pulling back) to the start position. If I didn't do this before putting them to idle the engines wouldn't start.

Over time I found that If the mission is started with the throttles to the Off position and the game setting to synchronize controllers that all works good. What was happening is that at the end of a mission, If I didn't go through the shut-down procedure or got shot down, the throttles were in an open state. When I started the game it saw the positoin open and ignored it. Cycling through the full range clears the issue.

So if you forget to start the mission with the throttle in the off position, simply cycle them to max and then off. After that you will find they work, including the graphics.

Motherboard: Z87. CPU: 4790K clocked to 4.4Ghz.
Ram: 16Gig Power Supply: 1000 watt Video:GTX 780Ti Hard Drives: 500 Gig PCIE SSD and 1TB maxtor.
Video Card. Evga GTX 78O Ti OC
Controllers: Warthog Hotas, Saitek Combat pedals, Track IR5.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.