Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3527833 - 02/28/12 03:37 PM BF3 Slowing Down, Then Speeding Back Up...  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I'll be running along, and then suddenly I'm moving as though I'm moving in slow motion. Lasts a couple of seconds, then running along, fast, again.
This a recently develped problem. Is it something that's been going with everybody? I'm wondering if spyware has found it's way into my rig. I know that's a symptom. It's not lag, either, because it happens on every server.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3527892 - 02/28/12 04:49 PM Re: BF3 Slowing Down, Then Speeding Back Up... [Re: Pooch]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Tried turning off AA? Sounds like maybe a vram limitation issue...

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#3528159 - 02/28/12 09:55 PM Re: BF3 Slowing Down, Then Speeding Back Up... [Re: Pooch]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Sounds more like a hard disk chugging issue. RAM, VRAM are all too fast for you to notice. Anything wrong with V/RAM and/or gpu it'd most likely just crash or give you artifacts.
The next time it slows down take a notice of whether you can hear your hard disk suddenly really working hard or if the light goes crazy.

Then there's all the standard stuff you can do - verify game files, disable AV/Firewall to see if the problem goes away.

#3528426 - 02/29/12 05:25 AM Re: BF3 Slowing Down, Then Speeding Back Up... [Re: Pooch]  
KublaKhan Offline
KublaKhan  Offline

KY - USA
Battlefield 3 has a built in performance monitor.

To open it:

1) Open the console while in the game by pressing the ~ (tilde key).
2) Type: "render.perfoverlayvisible 1" without the quotes. (Remove the overlay, replace the 1 with a 0).

Ideally, there should be no large spikes in either graph (CPU = Yellow, GPU = Green). However, if one of them is spiking its being taxed heavily. The graphs should be as close as possible to have good smooth gameplay. I can't remember precisely, but if the CPU is *above* the GPU line, you're CPU limited (ie: your CPU is working as hard as it can) and vice versa.

This started happening to me *after* the latest Origin/BF3 patch a coupe of weeks ago. Along with not being able to play back to back rounds. The game would give me the infamous "Black Screen" between loading maps, I'd have to exit and rejoin the server. I'm using an Gigabyte 5850 overclocked with 1GB DDR5. I'm running the game on medium settings (save for terrain detail on "Low") and no AA or MSAA. My FPS are normally in the 40-70 range. However, after a couple of rounds I notice slow gameplay, but I think this is caused by limited GPU memory. I was using the Catalyst 12.1 drivers, but returned to the 11.9s as they seem to work best for me.

Anyway, here's a guide you can use to tweak your game:

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/battlefield-3-tweak-guide

I also use a program called "Game Booster" and disable visual themes in Vista to dedicated as much RAM towards the game as possible.

System specs:

AMD Athlon II x4 635 overclocked to 3.2GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte 5850 OC (765/1000 - Core/Memory clocks)

Good luck with your game!

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." - Sun-Tzu
#3528461 - 02/29/12 06:58 AM Re: BF3 Slowing Down, Then Speeding Back Up... [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Well, I did go ahead and bring the AA down from 4x to 2x. I also checked my performance settings. It was set to give the best compromise between performance and power saving. (recommended). I went and put it on performance only. I just played for two hours and it didn't happen, so I'll keep my eye on it. Thanks. I have an quad core rig, i7 2.9 GB processors. And 8 GB of ramm. hasn't been a problem until recently. Anyway, tahnks again.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3528829 - 02/29/12 06:28 PM Re: BF3 Slowing Down, Then Speeding Back Up... [Re: Pooch]  
KublaKhan Offline
KublaKhan  Offline

KY - USA
Originally Posted By: Pooch
Well, I did go ahead and bring the AA down from 4x to 2x. I also checked my performance settings. It was set to give the best compromise between performance and power saving. (recommended). I went and put it on performance only. I just played for two hours and it didn't happen, so I'll keep my eye on it. Thanks. I have an quad core rig, i7 2.9 GB processors. And 8 GB of ramm. hasn't been a problem until recently. Anyway, tahnks again.

I think the Origin/BF3 update a couple of weeks ago FUBAR'd the game some way. Hence, changing of settings/options to get it back to where it plays smoothly.

Glad its working for you.

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." - Sun-Tzu
#3556519 - 04/15/12 12:55 PM Re: BF3 Slowing Down, Then Speeding Back Up... [Re: Pooch]  
MrWags Offline
MrWags  Offline

Like many Ea games in the past we are ALL NOW BETA TESTERS. It pains me to say that but any more the deadline over rides the finished product.

Years back Chronicles Of Riddick was a prime example. It was released to keep the shareholders happy and the poor kids who bought it could not even play the damn game for it was broken. They had to wait 3 days to play it while the hacker community were playing it AFTER the community fixed their game and 3 days later the same damn hacked EXE was the update the publishing company released to the general public so they could play it. What did that teach the gamers? Buy it and wait or steal it and play today?

Ea for years has gobbled up good company's and ran them in the ground for they feel they know it all. I'm sure Trip is sitting in his Mansion counting his money laughng at what a shell Ea is compared to what they were when the game mattered and not the deadline of release.

Electronic Arts a.k.a The United States Government Of Gaming Buy It When It's Good And Ruin It Quick

Be Well
Mr Wags

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.