Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3862313 - 11/14/13 05:03 AM A question about flying helicopters IRL.  
ZortanKrug Offline
ZortanKrug  Offline

Do pilots have to hold joystick or whatever they use to steer under specific angle like helicopter sim players have to? It seems horribly tiresome and imprecise.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3862483 - 11/14/13 04:12 PM Re: A question about flying helicopters IRL. [Re: ZortanKrug]  
SAPPER Offline
SAPPER  Offline

Portugal
Helicopter Cyclics have "force trim", by pressing a button on the stick you create a new "center" for the stick, making holding the cyclic in a given position for prolonged periods much easier.

#3862503 - 11/14/13 04:37 PM Re: A question about flying helicopters IRL. [Re: SAPPER]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: SAPPER
Helicopter Cyclics have "force trim", by pressing a button on the stick you create a new "center" for the stick, making holding the cyclic in a given position for prolonged periods much easier.

Not all helicopters. Robinson R22 and R44 doesn`t have such a system.

Last edited by EagleEye[GER]; 11/14/13 04:39 PM.
#3862741 - 11/15/13 12:01 AM Re: A question about flying helicopters IRL. [Re: EagleEye[GER]]  
SAPPER Offline
SAPPER  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: EagleEye[GER
]

I'll be gessing here but I imagine that those cyclics on those choppers are not spring loaded and have some dampening on the cyclic insteaf then. Is that correct?

#3862823 - 11/15/13 04:50 AM Re: A question about flying helicopters IRL. [Re: SAPPER]  
ZortanKrug Offline
ZortanKrug  Offline

I see. Is it used often? Do helicopter cyclics automatically return to central position like joysticks?

One of the reasons why I have spent much more time playing Gunship than modern sims is that while it tries to be as realistic as possible, I don't have to keep a joystick in an uncomfortable position for a long time and steering is generally more precise.

#3862873 - 11/15/13 08:49 AM Re: A question about flying helicopters IRL. [Re: SAPPER]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: EagleEye[GER
]

I'll be gessing here but I imagine that those cyclics on those choppers are not spring loaded and have some dampening on the cyclic insteaf then. Is that correct?

I would say that R22s cyclic is directly connected to the control rods. Don`t know if it have dampening at all. It have a trim knop which you can use i.e. for cruise flights. That knop will reduce the forces you have to apply to hold the cyclic forward. It will not help for hovering.

#3862874 - 11/15/13 08:54 AM Re: A question about flying helicopters IRL. [Re: ZortanKrug]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: ZortanKrug
One of the reasons why I have spent much more time playing Gunship than modern sims is that while it tries to be as realistic as possible, I don't have to keep a joystick in an uncomfortable position for a long time and steering is generally more precise.

In DCS helicopters (Huey, Black Shark, Mi8) you can also trim youre helicopter and therefore you don`t have to hold the joystick in a uncomfortable position for a long time. wink

Last edited by EagleEye[GER]; 11/15/13 08:56 AM.
#3862910 - 11/15/13 12:29 PM Re: A question about flying helicopters IRL. [Re: ZortanKrug]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
I had a pleasure flight in a helicopter many years ago and once up to a few thousand feet the pilot let me take control as I had been talking to him about Longbow 2 and how flying sims must give you some idea of flying IRL.
After getting the feel of the controls I was amazed how easily I managed to adjust to a full-sized helicopter finding it quite easy to bring the machine into a hover, turn using the pedals etc. Of course all of this was at height and with the pilot ready to take control again if I screwed up, but even so I loved the experience though I wouldn't have liked to attempt a landing biggrin

#3863052 - 11/15/13 04:33 PM Re: A question about flying helicopters IRL. [Re: ZortanKrug]  
cass Offline
cass  Offline

Some helicopters employ forced trim via motors activated on a 'trim hat' on the cyclic (r22,r44,md500,enstrom,300 etc). These motors overcome the force the pilot would normally feel from direct connection of the controls to the swashplate. They in no way relieve the pilot of holding the cyclic in position, it just helps counter the forces the feels.

Other helicopters (Hueys) use spring trim for much the same purpose along with hydraulics (all bell, eurocopter etc products) to ease the pilots workload. The Hydraulics eliminate the backforce while the forced bunjie trim (bell huey but not other bells) maintain a central point for the cyclic. Again the pilot cannot 'let go' and sit back. a gust of wind will throw the aircraft out of trim.

Only a functioning autopilot will allow the pilot to not maintain control of the aircraft.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.