Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4058245 - 12/31/14 08:11 PM LB Gold Running smooth on windows 7!  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

I'll update this thread I don't know if anyone else is able to but I am playing Jane's LBG on dosbox 0.74 no crashes and smooth play.

original post:
Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem..

Got LB Gold working and patched up with dosbox 0.74. During the baltic hammer campaign mission 4 I think i click the helmet to fly and it attempts to load the campaign map but fails.. Now If I fly it in the single missions it works. What gives?

As of now it is kicking me back to mission 3 in the campaign won't save it as being completed either. Mission 4 is find the EW site but thats when it kicks me back to desktop. Was there ever a workaround for this? I think the campaign structure info was screwed up with the new patch.

Last edited by john84; 01/01/15 06:54 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4058286 - 12/31/14 09:21 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

FIXED!! Error at desktop said sdl.dll.

Went into dosbox conf and changed "fulldouble" setting to true.

and prebuffer to 50

fulldouble: Use double buffering in fullscreen. It can reduce screen flickering, but it can also result in a slow DOSBox.

all maps decompress without erroring out now..

Now excuse my I gota Bar lock radar that needs a Hellfire!
exitstageleft

Last edited by john84; 01/01/15 09:08 AM.
#4058305 - 12/31/14 10:14 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

no crashes to desktop but campaign missions just are not saving......

This may be a read/write permission setting somewhere i have to enable?

Last edited by john84; 12/31/14 10:14 PM.
#4058357 - 01/01/15 12:22 AM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

Got it working now, alt-o at base screen shows that the automatic saving was off and why campaigns were not autosaving. After checking this You need to restart the campaign as a new player for it to take effect. By new player I mean delete your profile in the locker room to a new one and restart the game. Game works good now on windows 7 and dosbox fullscreen, can't get it to crash even! thumbsup I have the PDF manual and a nice keyboard command layout as well If anyone want to start flying this again let me know.

Last edited by john84; 01/01/15 12:37 AM.
#4058409 - 01/01/15 04:45 AM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Awesome! Good info. Glad you got it sorted out. I could never get it running on DosBox. Kept saying it could not find the CDs even after mounting them using the same labels it said it could not find.

#4058428 - 01/01/15 06:43 AM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/inst_lb1_dosbox.html

Punisher follow this ^

i did this one = [for playing with No CD]:

and downloaded the .bat so i dont have to keep putting in commands to get the game running just click that

after that i installed the patch through dosbox as well

I am glad i found a fix to the map decompressing crashes and campaign saves though!

Update still no crashes and at mission 11, gameplay and movies are all smooth with only on occasion the movies make a scratching sound.

Last edited by john84; 01/01/15 06:52 AM.
#4058550 - 01/01/15 04:03 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Thanks!

Got it working...Most of it....Still having issues with the Sidewinder Pro joystick. It calibrates without issues (after applying the "timed=false" workaround) but the throttle doesn't works and Rudder works as the throttle (turn rudder left and it goes up, turn the rudder right and it goes down.

Edit:

Fixed the Joystick problem with "SWAP34=TRUE" thanks to this _http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3804983/DOSBox_Janes_Longboy_1_GOLD_jo

Now working on the extreme lag between page/movie transitions.

Last edited by The Punisher; 01/01/15 04:30 PM.
#4058634 - 01/01/15 07:22 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

Did toy install the patch for LB gold? 1.04F (its actually 1.04E) it fixes many problems with the video

#4058712 - 01/01/15 11:51 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

yeah, I updated to 1.04F. The transition and sound between screens is terrible. It works better once the actual game starts (I've only tested single missions so far) but between screens is so bad it makes me wanna quit.

Edit:
Changed "fulldouble" back to "false" and is working almost perfect now (running on Win 8.1 x64)!
copter

Last edited by The Punisher; 01/02/15 11:42 AM.
#4058982 - 01/02/15 07:02 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

Neat stuff with AI I noticed

-read the manual and also the strategy guide tons and tons of info.

-Saw a Patriot system shootdown a Frogfoot. Possible?
-Enemy tanks will use coax if you get too close and even try to take you out with a cannon round if you are too slow.
Things I saw a-10s engage, frogfoots flying. helicopters on ground or flying and tanks etc.

-Wingman takes enemy SAMS tracking you as a threat on "cover me mode" and attacks them. I just call it the SEAD mode.

-art and air strikes will do a few missions for you if they are in the area. This is great if you are out of hellfires. If calling in an a-10 make sure area is clear of SAMS first

-Had to to an emergency landing near tanks the tanks would fire over me and a Havoc came in around my back and just hovered when I was on the ground but didn't fire. AI can force you to surrender?
All while this was happening I heard a round come in probably from an so-122 as it whistled in and landed near the chopper. It was only 1 round. Is it possible for enemy helicopters or tanks to call in strikes?

-Never really saw any other apaches or longbows performing strikes. When I played this game in 98 I was sure they did once in awhile during the campaign baltic hammer. Missing their weapons on pylons or maybe they were just reconing.

-certain enemy soldiers have IR SAMS if you get too close to them.

-Never knew this but you can do coordinated PFZ attacks on targets, like they do in the longbow intro. Advanced avionics tutorial shows you how at the end.

-Havocs have to sneak around back to get an IR missle off, makes sense.

-2s6 sams can track outside their firing constraints.

-Played with Co-Piolt Gunner sites that I never knew existed. Zoomed in to near mode gives objects are extremely headache shaky will try turning off turbulence in settings.

-I think it would be neat to see end game stats for the a-10s and artillery on which objects they destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8phIv-NerM0

Last edited by john84; 01/02/15 10:11 PM.
#4059277 - 01/03/15 03:17 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi john84,

Thanks for the info on LB Gold. Unfortunately, I didn't get LBG until several years after LB2 came out... by which time it didn't seem as good as it's successor and my PC hardware was too beastly to run it. I tried playing it through DOSBox but it was always laggy for me. It worked beautifully with the Windows EXE except for fatal game freezes and blue screens (from what I remember).

There was always a greater sense of low-level speed in LBG due to the low-res terrain graphics, inadvertently creating 'noise' or detail.

I was never able to play LBG for any length of time, so the things you have mentioned regarding unit behaviour, etc. is all new to me... believe it or not. I felt the single-player missions in LBG were better than LB2's, as the scenery was littered with farms and bridges and stuff.

There were also game niggles that got me in LBG, which were done differently and better in LB2. That was another reason for me not getting into it that much. I think the one that I remember most was, when using the heads-down mode in TADS in the CP/G cockpit, you could see 'through' the terrain to a point. So, you would try and engage enemy units with the 30mm and would be hitting the terrain but it appeared to hit in mid-air. Obviously a LOD (level-of-detail) or drawing distance graphics glitch somewhere.

One thing that I did always find a bit odd... but which was good... was the fact that you could actually lock onto a target with the Radar Hellfire from over 8km away. I think I usually got locks at about 8.1km. LB2 strictly limits you to something like 7.9km at all times, and then that's only if the target is stationary.

#4059328 - 01/03/15 06:13 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

I just finished my 3rd campaign mission and is been a blast!!! In a weird sense, I like it more than LB2 (which is almost impossible for me). Just wish the graphics were a little better. Reminds me of the original Comanche Maximum Overkill.

The last mission was at dawn but started really dark and had to use nigh vision. After completing my goals, I set the autopilot back home and to my surprise, way back into friendly controlled territory, I got ambushed by more AAA/SAMs I've seen together so far in a flight sim and got hammered pretty good. Lost engine one, lasers, PNVS, IHADS...in short, was barely flying....and practically blind!
wounded

Fortunately day was breaking up and could differentiate the horizon so I was able to fly back home using my analog instruments aided by my MFDs.
pilot

I also installed the Windows version as a separate install. It works but keeps crashing after each mission ends so haven't been able to go anywhere on that one.
mycomputer

Last edited by The Punisher; 01/04/15 11:23 AM.
#4059476 - 01/04/15 02:02 AM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

Good to hear Flyboy @ Punisher. Your site really helped me get that install going, On the flip side I had Longbow and Flash Point Korea in 1998 but never played Longbow 2. I was too young to understand anything in the tutorials and just did the campaigns with invulnerability always on. This time around I understand it completely. Have everything real except wind and turbulence, and set to vulnerable. I went through each training mission twice to complete all of them twice. The hardest thing was selecting targets from FCR for wingman, air support or artillary and coordinated attacks. There is a strategy guide for the game that is just packed with info. I have yet to completely read the manual as well. I have completed both campaigns years ago but doing it again with all realism set. I have just completed baltic hammer CAT was in the middle and on to Korean campaign.

I want to read the longbow 2 manual completely before I start with the campaigns, but even before that I have to complete all the tutorials on the 4 flyable choppers (including apache). A lot to do before the good stuff.

I will take strategy, realism and playability over graphics anyday. (1 reason I came back to the game) Nothing like popping over a hill and hitting targets.

no crashes to report on windows 7 and campaign baltic hammer done btw.

@ punisher they took out your NV at night? Ouch.

Last edited by john84; 01/04/15 02:31 AM.
#4059598 - 01/04/15 01:04 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
First Longbow is my favorite helo sim to date. I've finished Baltic Hammer several years ago, recently bought Gold version (now I have first release, separate FPK addon and Gold version but what the hell) which also runs great on DOSBox. I plan to go through the Korea campaign as soon as I tackle the campaigns in Jane's F-15 (never finished them before) which I started flying recently again.

I remember one cool thing from Longbow campaign - the mission structure wasn't fixed and was similar to early Wing Commander titles where the outcome of the mission(s) would influence what the next one (or series) would be. After finishing the Baltic Hammer (winning it btw) I replayed it again loosing all the missions and the campaign ended after few missions with nuclear response from Russia (I don't remember what the exact couse was, but the nukes detonated during last mission). IIRC the mission tree is described in the Longbow Strategy Guide.

If you looking for some good strategy guides go to Pix's Origin Adventures site:

http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/downloads/

It has great collection of manuals and cluebooks for many Origin and other titles.

#4059599 - 01/04/15 01:10 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: john84

I want to read the longbow 2 manual completely before I start with the campaigns, but even before that I have to complete all the tutorials on the 4 flyable choppers (including apache). A lot to do before the good stuff.

I think you have 3 choppers available in LB2 - Longbow, Kiowa and Blackhawk. Sadly the A variant of the Apache from first Longbow was abandoned in Longbow 2.

I will take strategy, realism and playability over graphics anyday. (1 reason I came back to the game) Nothing like popping over a hill and hitting targets.

I hear you brother...

no crashes to report on windows 7 and campaign baltic hammer done btw.

As long as it runs on DOSBox the OS on which it runs doesn't seem to matter.

Last edited by damson; 01/04/15 01:14 PM.
#4059788 - 01/04/15 09:43 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: damson]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted By: damson

I think you have 3 choppers available in LB2 - Longbow, Kiowa and Blackhawk. Sadly the A variant of the Apache from first Longbow was abandoned in Longbow 2.

No, you still have a NR (No Radar) variant of the AH-64 in LB2. Called an AH-64D (NR) rather than an AH-64A, but it lacks the Longbow Radar so you can only use TADS targeting and Laser Hellfires.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4059914 - 01/05/15 06:42 AM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

I'm in 3rd or 4th mission on Korean Campaign and yet again, I hear a whistle sound and an explosion like an artillery shot checked to see if map had artillery units present but it doesn't. What could it be? I seem to hear it often while hovering or stationary. It is probably enemy fire but from what? Enemy troops/tanks are probably able to call in some kind of strikes? Doubt it is from BMP or T-62. I don't see any towed artillery pieces around either.

Last edited by john84; 01/05/15 06:45 AM.
#4060157 - 01/05/15 07:59 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: Recluse]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: Recluse
Originally Posted By: damson

No, you still have a NR (No Radar) variant of the AH-64 in LB2. Called an AH-64D (NR) rather than an AH-64A, but it lacks the Longbow Radar so you can only use TADS targeting and Laser Hellfires.

Thanks for rectification Recluse.

From what I read years ago the NR Apaches would accompany one with the Longbow Radar so they could use the Data Link to attack targets designated by the Radar carrying Apache with their Radar Hellfires (don't know if this tactic is used in RL) so the TADS/Laser Hellfire wasn't the only option as long as there was Radar wielding Apache in the section.

#4060341 - 01/06/15 11:57 AM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Recluse, Recluse, Recluse.

I may be out of the scene but I still remember all the details!

The AH-64D (NR) is not a substitute for the actual AH-64A. Two different birds. The AH-64D (NR) is the Longbow, without the Longbow! As damson said, it is indeed a possibility to carry and successfully engage with and fire the Longbow variant (AGM-114L) Hellfire. You pretty much have the exact same capability as a radar-carrying AH-64D, except you cannot scan for targets by yourself and if you do have targets on your MFD, you cannot update their locations if they have moved.

What you can do, is use the data that is automatically provided to you by another, radar-carrying AH-64D in the mission. Or, there are several ways (from what I remember) to get access to targets of your own accord. If I remember rightly, once a target has been found by TADS, it is plotted on the MFD and then you can switch to radar mode and engage with radar Hellfire (as long as it isn't moving). Another way is to download targets from the ABCCC (essentially AWACS aircraft), also the OH-58D Kiowa can send you target data as you share a common datalink.

In any case, you won't get an active lock on such targets because the launch platform doesn't have direct radar. So instead of the usual engagement and launch with a locked tone/solid box in LOBL mode, you have to go for a no tone/broken box in LOAL mode.

Forgive me, but back in the day I became a huge nut on the Hellfire missile and became a self-made expert on the subject. It is all very complicated but in one form or another, the Hellfire missile in LB2 (especially) can pretty much be employed as it can in real-life.

Check out these videos at my military/sim YouTube channel for video clips of some Hellfire usage in LB2...

Longbow 2 - LOBL [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzEXuwYMRiM ]
Longbow 2 - LOAL (Direct) [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyQbjDIdlIM ]
Longbow 2 - LOAL (Delayed Lase) [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeCX-VzEnfw ]
Longbow 2 - Ripple-firing Hellfire [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEhPibN8JbE ]

#4060361 - 01/06/15 01:28 PM Re: Longbow Gold Baltic Hammer Mission Problem.. [Re: flightsimer90s]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Hmmmmmm,

I will have to try this out. I fired up LB2 recently after building an AH-64D Longbow model kit with my son.

I don't believe I ever tried taking Radar Hellfires on an AH-64(NR), so in effect I treated it like an -A model.

But I do recall thinking it was odd that you could receive (or create??? I forget) PFZ's on the TSD when the FCR (INOP) was selected. The Kiowa, with no capability to create PFZ's seemed really lacking in the Scout role in LB2.

I still stand by my original claim that there are 4 flyable Helos in LB2 (Longbow, Longbow(NR) Kiowa and Blackhawk)
smile

In your videos it looks like they are all Laser Guided Hellfires..

P.S. Regarding PFZ's, the Manual has this to say:

Quote:
You can create a PFZ in any of the three helicopter
types. The Longbow with radar, however, is the only
one that allows you to fire multiple targets at once

What this DOESN'T mention is the ability to hand off PFZ's or receive them. From my remembered Multiplayer experiences when trying to hand off PFZ's between dissimilar platforms, it seemed that the Radar Longbow was the only one able to hand off and only the AH-64D/AH-64D(NR) could receive them. I could have this wrong. I bet there is an old post somewhere in the archived forums discussing this!!!

Only seems relevant to Multiplayer anyway. I will have to try handing off a PFZ to a Kiowa wingman or vice-versa and see if I get the "GOT YOUR PFZ" response.

Last edited by Recluse; 01/06/15 01:49 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.