Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2277761 - 08/06/07 02:25 PM review and feedback about SimHQ AA server  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
OK, we've been going for a few months now with our own dedicated Armed Assault server... we started out as a rag tag virtual squad of no more then around a dirty dozen gamers... and now have grown to around 20 give or take active members/gamers...

We started out with simply 9 to 12 man squad missions with one leader, and moved up to multiple fireteams, support, and command... we've come along way and I personally think we got a good working system here now.

We started out dying constantly, in almost every mission, to now we seem to win the majority with proper tactics and teamwork. (we only seem to lose when I lead, sad ;\) )

With the help and guidance of Wepps, we have created more then a handful of SimHQ exclusive missions, that are now appearing on many other servers, a sign that they work and are good.

We watched our small team of virtual soldiers grow, not only in size but in maturity, teamwork, and our basic military tactics... without going to far overboard which makes it no longer fun, which is what seems to happen with other, larger gaming groups.

So what I'm basically saying...is that SimHQ has taken the virtual combat ball and ran with it...we have a great server, great missions, great staff, and most of all great membership... we are beginning to settle down into a routine, a routine of procedures, checks, strategies, and tactics, along with the all important teamwork...

and for that I want to personally thank every single one of you that have joined and played on our server...

We still have a few more things to work out...that is basically our communications and following the orders of your fire team leaders, who are following the orders of your squad leader.

So I want to touch base on a few items to improve on...

1. again, TS is required, and so is reading every thing, including the links in this post:
http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2241705&page=1#Post2241705

2. All members have to be registered SimHQ members, no guest passes... it takes 2 minutes to register and you don't have to post anything first.

3. Sunday and Monday are serious (and military) nights on our server... you got 5 other days to use the server and goof off... if you can not follow orders or like to BS more then play, don't even show up those 2 nights.

4. During the team selection, pick a open slot but be prepared to be ordered to move as soon as I convince someone besides Wepps and i to lead, lol... you can jump into a medic or sniper team slot, but be prepared to be told to go elsewhere because the medics are the last to fill up usually, and it's up to the squad leader who he wants as sniper, and if you are you complain about it when I'm admin on duty, I'm going to kick you...you can come back in immediately, but whine or argue again and it will be for the rest of the night.

5. During the briefing screen, if you are not the squad leader, then hold your tongue, the squad leader will give a basic briefing/plan on this screen, marking areas on the map in game... but before we move forward the SL will ask if there is any question, one at a time, ask and confirm your question, only the squad leader will answer.

6. When we hit go, get over to your FTL and wait, wait till more briefing info from the SL, and wait to be advised on what vehicle your fireteam will take.

7. Fireteam Leaders, do your job... tell your people if you want different weapons from the crates, then order your fireteam using the in game menu command system to mount up either as a whole or individually, like if you want a certain person driving, and a certain person gunning.

FTL all your orders to your teams should be via the in game command menu... learn it, use it, love it... this includes mounting, formations, engage commands, hold fires, formations, combat modes... etc ect... We should never hear a FLT on TS ordering his men into line formation, or to watch NE...ect ect...

FT Members, use your in game menu response keys to answer your FTL, most common would be "roger" which is backspace, 0, then 8...

The only exception to this rule is enemy contact reports... and it could be anyone but say it so we know who you are... ie: "BREAK BREAK BREAK, This is bravo team enemy contact NE of our marked waypoint, one 4 man enemy patrol"... or... "BREAK BREAK BREAK this is Charlie team enemy contact, marking now on map, a BDRM"... or... " BREAK BREAK BREAK Alpha team under fire, unknown" (if it's unknown and/or your taking fire...get the hell back...fall back and regroup about 50 yards.

8. So 99% of the time is should only be Squad leaders and Fireteam Leaders talking...
"Alpha this is leader move to waypoint 1 and hold, Bravo team move to waypoint 1 and hold"
"Leader this is Charlie lead, we have contact with an enemy patrol, marking now moving west, taking cover and holding"
"Charlie lead this is leader, roger hold position, Alpha new orders move east towards new waypoint, set up enemy patrol ambush"
"Alpha lead copies, moving out"
"leader this is alpha lead in position, contact front"
"Alpha lead this is leader engage and will and report, all others hold fast".

(some examples)

9. remember your fireteam, usually alpha, bravo, and charlie... the snipers are, "sierra 1" and "sierra 2"... the M1 is "Tank", and Strykers are "Stryker 1" and "stryker 2"... and of course the gunship is "cobra".

10. one last thing... a fireteam sticks together, they are never out of each others sight, they are usually in a formation, 10 to 20 yards apart in open terrain, 5 yards or so in tight terrian... you should never have to go looking for your fire team members they should be right next to you and you should all be seeing the same thing...

OK...more rules and reading for you, but here is your opportunity, to give us 100% feedback, suggestions, and comments about anything related to the TS server, the AA server, the admins, the missions, the tactics, the teamwork... un edited, anything you would like to see changed or re-thought... so we can finally make final decisions about the rules and procedures here at SimHQ...

anything and everything related is welcome here, right now...no holds barred... let me have it.

(we will always take feedback and suggustions, but this will be the last time we solicit information about how things are going on our server... this is meant to finalize the standard.)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2277773 - 08/06/07 02:36 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Magnum]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
Let me further explain Number 6.
Quote:
6. When we hit go, get over to your FTL and wait, wait till more briefing info from the SL, and wait to be advised on what vehicle your fireteam will take.

When the fire team members hear this order, don't just run towards the vehicle and jump in. The order issued was to your Fire Team Leader, not you as an individual. Wait for the FTL to tell what vehicle to get into and what slot you will occupy.

Know your fire team, know your fire team leader. Its been said before, but I'll say it again. Keep a notepad handy and write down your immediate chain of command. It really does help.

Last edited by Wepps; 08/06/07 02:37 PM.
#2277800 - 08/06/07 03:01 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Wepps]  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

The TeamSpeak rules are a must, it's important to announce your arrival in TS, NOT show up in the game beside us while we're in the middle of a spec ops mission at an extremely critical part of the mission! GGGrrrrr. Not your fault I know, but ...

As FTL, when the game starts, I drop to my knee, then issue a formation command to my teammates.
Unless told otherwise don't run to the ammo boxes. Wepps has the missions vehicles loaded for bear.

The initial formation command gives the team a starting rally point (BTW you spawn real close to the FTL) and something to do while the SL is giving orders for load up. Follow the FTL's stance. Too bad they didn't model hand signals (I suspect that's coming in a mod/patch).

I'm trying to be the last to enter a vehicle to insure my teams all in.
When the SL says everyone out, that order is for the FTL, I usually get out first, then issue a dismount to the team, then a close-by movement point order, and possible formation adjustment.

Speaking of game mods, I think it's time we had a policy on those, some people are joining with half a dozen mods, and we get script and sound errors popping up on our screen when you least expect or want them. IMO, we go plane Jane or only use mods that don't effect non-modded players.

Last edited by PositiveG; 08/06/07 03:04 PM.
#2277801 - 08/06/07 03:01 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Wepps]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
People need to know the chain of command and quickly take over when losses demand it. Perhaps we could note this in the future during mission planning. Such as who will take over what team should the FTL die, etc.

#2277804 - 08/06/07 03:02 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Razorback]  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Numerical order? Makes it easy. Alpha 1 dies, 2 steps up, 2 and 3 die, 4 steps up.

#2277807 - 08/06/07 03:05 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Razorback]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
That usually follows down from Alpha Team Leader, then Bravo Teader, then Charlie, then Delta. The original Fire Team Leader would have authority over someone that was just a fire team member in a fire team that had lost its leader.

#2277852 - 08/06/07 04:18 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Wepps]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
The way I understand it, squad leadership goes to Alpha 1 if the SL dies. Now, if Alpha 1 dies, does Alpha 2 become Alpha 1 and take over the squad, or does Alpha 2 become Alpha 1 but Bravo 1 takes over the squad?

#2277853 - 08/06/07 04:22 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Razorback]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Nevermind, I just re-read Wepps' response. It goes SL, Alpha 1, Bravo 1, Charlie 1, and then back to new Alpha 1 if those all die... actually, by that point we are all hurting bad.

#2277855 - 08/06/07 04:23 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Razorback]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
yep...by then time to call it a lost and pull back to an (imagination) extraction point.

#2277938 - 08/06/07 05:41 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Magnum]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I've wondered how to handle entry into a mid-mission session. I will typically announce myself on TS, and ask if there is a specific position SL or FTL prefers me join.

Otherwise, some of my experiences. I'm using a small letter size white board to list the SL, as well as my FTL and members in number order. That way I know if I'm Bravo 2 or 3, I'll have a clue as to where and when I'd be assuming FTL role. The white board may seem silly, but at least for me, where the missions roll over so frequently and the leaders change so much between them, it's a big help.

Agreed on FTL using the quick menu to direct team movement and targets. This GREATLY aids in basic situational awareness.

On one of our missions last night (Sunday), the map was not being cleared of old waypoints as they were passed. Just adding a new WP1, WP2, etc, is not descriptive enough IMO and gets cluttered fast. The clearest method is just putting a BRAVO marker where they should be NOW (and delete previous Bravo markers), and if necessary a B1, B2 series to indicate a desired specific travel path.

Comms, have worked well in my limted experience. Sure there is clutter sometimes, even when following protocol, but I can't imagine that NOT occurring when the contacts start flooding in from the fire teams. And very often there is pertinent information about a contact that needs to be relayed, such as that the infantry group appears to be attempting a quick flanking action, approaching another fire team's location, etc. And of particular note, is that sometimes these messages take a touch longer to complete than expected (which is fine as long as consice), if a team member has to check his compass (taking extra keystrokes) or establish some easily recognizable landmarks for the contact annoucement.

FTLs also need to remember to assign fields of fire when the position requires it. Big help when assuring the safety of a team that has enemy activity on several sides, but not necessarily engaged with those contacts at the moment.

The SimHQ server is well managed IMO. Simple and effective rules. There are no 'big cheeses' who complain, whine, or humiliate those not meeting expectation. And of course good players complete the picture.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2277961 - 08/06/07 06:20 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: adlabs6]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
Quote:
FTLs also need to remember to assign fields of fire when the position requires it. Big help when assuring the safety of a team that has enemy activity on several sides, but not necessarily engaged with those contacts at the moment.

Members of the fire team should know their fields of fire when the team is deployed. I provided an a couple of examples. Basically the SAW gunner takes the forward position and and covers from 10 to 2, while the riflemen/grenadier provide left/right flank security.

#2277971 - 08/06/07 06:34 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Wepps]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Well I was referring to when a position is being scouted or held. Example, last night I believe Enven was FTL attempting to recon a town, and we had infantry making runs on us from dead ahead, from across a clearing on left flank, plus word from overwatch that infantry were perhaps working around directly behind our location.

So he reassigned our fields, placing the SAW gunner to the rear to guard, rifleman to the left flank opening, while FTL and grenadier covered main forward objective together. The quick reassign worked great for that specific geographic location and kept us focused even while we were momentarily assigned a hot spot. Then back to standard formation when we advanced.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2277978 - 08/06/07 06:39 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: adlabs6]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
I see what you are saying now. Yeah, fire team leaders need to know when to retreat, when to change their base of fire and when to shift targets. Sounds like Enven did a good job.

#2278171 - 08/07/07 12:03 AM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Wepps]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
On my long drive...

I was thinking about my leadership skills... the biggest mistake I'm making is not using the fireteams to support each other, sending them apart...when in reality fireteams exist to support each other...and should stay closer together...so I'll work on that.

#2278343 - 08/07/07 05:50 AM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Magnum]  
kadiir Offline
kadiir  Offline

Originally Posted By: Magnum SimHQ

FT Members, use your in game menu response keys to answer your FTL, most common would be "roger" which is backspace, 0, then 8...
FYI, you don't have to hit backspace first (unless you've remapped your number keys).

#2278732 - 08/07/07 06:19 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: kadiir]  
Damocles Offline
Damocles  Offline

Inverness Scotland
Closer together, but not so close as to intermingle. I found I had a real hard time working out who was in who's FT if there are several AI rifleman and the FT's are so close as to be beside each other. The trouble is from a squad leaders standpoint is that it's a FT leaders job to remain in contact with the squad on his flank and things can become very dislocated in close country, I rarely see or hear an order to close up for either the FT's or squad's. There is also a tendency for everyone to watch there FT leader rather than the terrain to there front just to see when they move.

#2278748 - 08/07/07 06:33 PM Re: review and feedback about SimHQ AA server [Re: Damocles]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
Yeah, fire teams should be within covering sight of one another, but not bunched up together begging the nearest bad guy to grenade them!

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.